Chit Chat

Have we done a "I don't get" thread recently?

Re: Have we done a "I don't get" thread recently?

• banana468 said:  
    When I do this it's a cold.  If I stayed home every time my kid had a runny nose I'd be out of the house 10 days a year.  Chicken pox should be mostly out of here if people would just vaccinate.    

Last year DH and I gave up two tickets to go to "the North Pole" because DS was puking that day.   I was pissed that we were out $60 but there was no way we were taking a gamble that he wouldn't have an episode on a train filled with kids and their parents two weeks before Christmas.  

Since you brought up vaccinations. I took my baby for his 6 month appointment and vaccines today. After the nurse gave him his injections, I teared up a bit because I don't like hearing my baby hurting, she says, "If you think that's bad, you should watch the videos about what can happen if you don't vaccinate." I felt like that was totally unnecessary because I'm obviously pro-vax, I mean, you literally just gave them to him!
  • banana468 said:  
    When I do this it's a cold.  If I stayed home every time my kid had a runny nose I'd be out of the house 10 days a year.  Chicken pox should be mostly out of here if people would just vaccinate.    

Last year DH and I gave up two tickets to go to "the North Pole" because DS was puking that day.   I was pissed that we were out $60 but there was no way we were taking a gamble that he wouldn't have an episode on a train filled with kids and their parents two weeks before Christmas.  

Since you brought up vaccinations. I took my baby for his 6 month appointment and vaccines today. After the nurse gave him his injections, I teared up a bit because I don't like hearing my baby hurting, she says, "If you think that's bad, you should watch the videos about what can happen if you don't vaccinate." I felt like that was totally unnecessary because I'm obviously pro-vax, I mean, you literally just gave them to him!

That is horrible. A good nurse should have said something like "it is hard to be part of something that makes them cry".
  • levioosa said:
    banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    banana468 said:
    I really try to be the mom who may post kid photos but knows that I also have this little thing called a full time job too. 

And yeah - I'm freaking tired.   My work is wearing me out during the day and my toddler waking me up 4 times at night isn't helping my cause. 

The 'i don't get' with kids happened a few weeks ago when the HFM outbreak went through daycare and some mom talked to the director and asked her how she let it happen.   How SHE let it happen??   Kids get HFM.   They just do.   Kids get sick.   It's part of life.     
    On that note, I don't understand people who bring their sick kids to events. I get it sometimes, especially if you are literally out of options.  Not everyone can afford to stay home from work with their sick kid.  Sometimes you do what you have to do for your family, even if it's not in the best interest of others.  But you bring your kid with chicken pox to a birthday party?  GTFO.  

I think I shared this before, but at one of my early b-day parties, one of the parents brought their kid with chicken pox.  It was before the vaccination came out.  One dad ended up in the hospital for a week, and one of the pregnant moms contracted it as well. All because the mom thought it "wasn't a big deal" and "everyone should have to get it sometime."  

My Mom sent me to a pox party. There was no vaccine when I was little and she thought that it was best for me to get it when I was small. I can't fault her logic at the time (chicken pox is easier for kids) but having had shingles 5 times in 4 years ... I'm not a fan. I've now been vaccinated for shingles because the infectious disease doc couldn't figure out what else to do.
  • levioosa said:
    banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    banana468 said:
    I really try to be the mom who may post kid photos but knows that I also have this little thing called a full time job too. 

And yeah - I'm freaking tired.   My work is wearing me out during the day and my toddler waking me up 4 times at night isn't helping my cause. 

The 'i don't get' with kids happened a few weeks ago when the HFM outbreak went through daycare and some mom talked to the director and asked her how she let it happen.   How SHE let it happen??   Kids get HFM.   They just do.   Kids get sick.   It's part of life.     
    On that note, I don't understand people who bring their sick kids to events. I get it sometimes, especially if you are literally out of options.  Not everyone can afford to stay home from work with their sick kid.  Sometimes you do what you have to do for your family, even if it's not in the best interest of others.  But you bring your kid with chicken pox to a birthday party?  GTFO.  

I think I shared this before, but at one of my early b-day parties, one of the parents brought their kid with chicken pox.  It was before the vaccination came out.  One dad ended up in the hospital for a week, and one of the pregnant moms contracted it as well. All because the mom thought it "wasn't a big deal" and "everyone should have to get it sometime."  
    Suuure.     And now that DH had shingles for Christmas, that can be the gift that keeps on giving.
  • banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    banana468 said:

Suuure.     And now that DH had shingles for Christmas, that can be the gift that keeps on giving.
    Shingles is brutal. I wouldn't wish the pain on anyone.
  • ernursej said:
    banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    banana468 said:

Shingles is brutal. I wouldn't wish the pain on anyone.
    Luckily his case was mild but it's among the reasons I'll give death glares to those with the philosophy of, "Just let the kiddo get Chicken Pox!   It's soooOOOOoooo common!!"

Fuckouttahere with your 'so common'. 
  • MCmeow said:
    I don't get people who stop mid-stair to pay attention to their phones or stop for no reason while people are trying to get into the subway. This has been happening more than usual lately and damn it's pissing me off.
    "Accidentally" knock them down the stairs? 
  • ernursej said:
    My Mom sent me to a pox party. There was no vaccine when I was little and she thought that it was best for me to get it when I was small. I can't fault her logic at the time (chicken pox is easier for kids) but having had shingles 5 times in 4 years ... I'm not a fan. I've now been vaccinated for shingles because the infectious disease doc couldn't figure out what else to do.
    Before there was a vax - which I learned recently through people with younger kids - I was sent to my friend's place to get chicken pox too! Only concern was that my mum never had chicken pox so she was at risk of shingles. She didn't, but still a risk.

I've been lucky not to get shingles, and neither has my friend who I got pox from.
  • ernursej said:
    Before there was a vax - which I learned recently through people with younger kids - I was sent to my friend's place to get chicken pox too! Only concern was that my mum never had chicken pox so she was at risk of shingles. She didn't, but still a risk.

I've been lucky not to get shingles, and neither has my friend who I got pox from.
    My mom did the same thing. The neighbor down the street had pox so she sent the three of us down (7, 4 and I was a baby). Crossing fingers and knocking on wood that I don't get shingles.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • banana468 said:
    Luckily his case was mild but it's among the reasons I'll give death glares to those with the philosophy of, "Just let the kiddo get Chicken Pox!   It's soooOOOOoooo common!!"

Fuckouttahere with your 'so common'. 
    Tell them that measles and polio also used to be soooOOOOoooo common. 
  • I grew up before the vax.   Not sure which of us caught the pox first, but hit all of the kids.    I was about 7-8, so sister was 6-7 and brothers 2.     At the same time my mom was diagnosed with uterine cancer and had to hysterectomy.     

Oh and the day I went back to school and the day after my mom's hysterectomy I ended up breaking my collarbone and had to go to the ER.   fun times I tell you.

Luckily I haven't gotten shingles.  I'm hoping that will be the case for the rest of my life.

I had the whooping cough vax, but was never told as an adult I needed a booster.  I ended up with whooping cough.  Too be fair, I'm pretty sure it was fairly new information that people in my age group needed boosters (this was almost 18 years ago).

Anyway, I wouldn't wish my worst enemy the whooping cough. 18 years later I still feel some effects of the whooping cough.    

I get so pissed when I hear parents say they will not give the vax to their kid.    It was no joke and I tear up just thinking of a child having to deal with what I did.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I grew up before the vax.   Not sure which of us caught the pox first, but hit all of the kids.    I was about 7-8, so sister was 6-7 and brothers 2.     At the same time my mom was diagnosed with uterine cancer and had to hysterectomy.     

Oh and the day I went back to school and the day after my mom's hysterectomy I ended up breaking my collarbone and had to go to the ER.   fun times I tell you.

Luckily I haven't gotten shingles.  I'm hoping that will be the case for the rest of my life.

I had the whooping cough vax, but was never told as an adult I needed a booster.  I ended up with whooping cough.  Too be fair, I'm pretty sure it was fairly new information that people in my age group needed boosters (this was almost 18 years ago).

Anyway, I wouldn't wish my worst enemy the whooping cough. 18 years later I still feel some effects of the whooping cough.    

I get so pissed when I hear parents say they will not give the vax to their kid.    It was no joke and I tear up just thinking of a child having to deal with what I did.   
    I would say the idea of a whooping cough booster is about 10 years old. We had an adult friend who had it a few years back and it took him almost a year to get over it. My Dad said he remembered kids in his town dying from it when he was a kid (born 1920). I just don't get the idea of not vaccinating!
  • edited August 2016
    @lyndausvi & @ILoveBeachMusic
    I read a blog about a year ago that this woman wrote about how one of her children got whooping cough then the other and she was treating "naturally" because she believes that vaccines and antibiotics "mess with the microbiome." The blog has been password protected, but here's an article with excerpts if you're interested in reading the insanity.
    https://epidemiological.net/2015/10/30/this-mother-purposefully-not-having-her-children-medically-treated-for-pertussis-has-got-to-be-a-joke/

eta - I did read the original blog before it was password protected so these excerpts are real.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2016
    @lyndausvi & @ILoveBeachMusic
    I read a blog about a year ago that this woman wrote about how one of her children got whooping cough then the other and she was treating "naturally" because she believes that vaccines and antibiotics "mess with the microbiome." The blog has been password protected, but here's an article with excerpts if you're interested in reading the insanity.
    https://epidemiological.net/2015/10/30/this-mother-purposefully-not-having-her-children-medically-treated-for-pertussis-has-got-to-be-a-joke/

eta - I did read the original blog before it was password protected so these excerpts are real.

WTF did i just read?

I was an adult and could kind-of grasp what was going on.  A child?  Hell know.   I also turned purple, coughed till I puked.   I couldn't catch my breath and passed out a few times.   I would blow into the tube thing to test my air capacity?  Yeah, the ping-pong balls barely moved (remember this was 18 years ago, new types of testes now).   

The sounds?  Oh my,  my co-workers  and just random people were so scared for me.    This went on for a good 4 months.     It was so damn scary.

18 years later I'm still feeling the effects.  While I am climbing 11K foot mountains, it's hard.  I run out of breath so fast you would think I was a (or former) smoker.   Which I'm neither.    Yeah, some of it is from the altitude (lack of oxygen), but it's made worse from the long term effects from whooping cough.

ETA - when I was diagnosed my doctor said that studies were showing that people in my age group might need to be getting boosters.    So the information was out there, but it seems like it was a few years later that it became standard.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited August 2016
    ernursej said:
    levioosa said:
    banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    banana468 said:

Eek. Shingles five times in four years? My brother and I got chicken pox three times (twice when I was about 6-7 and he was about 3-4; once when we were both teens). We're probably screwed.

FTR: I was born in 1975, my brother in 1977. Had the vaccine been available when I was a kid, my parents would have made sure we got it.
  • I don't get helicopter parents. How can anyone think that level of involvement in your child's life is healthy? Do they expect their children to live with them forever because there's no way their children are going to be able to function on their own. Case in point - last Friday, one of my co-irkers mother came in and cussed out our manager because her little precious didn't get the day off. My co-irker stood there behind her mother while it was happening (on the clock the whole time too). She's 21 and saw no problem with what her mother did... oh and she doesn't understand why she's no longer being considered for a promotion. 
  • indigo26 said:
    I don't get helicopter parents. How can anyone think that level of involvement in your child's life is healthy? Do they expect their children to live with them forever because there's no way their children are going to be able to function on their own. Case in point - last Friday, one of my co-irkers mother came in and cussed out our manager because her little precious didn't get the day off. My co-irker stood there behind her mother while it was happening (on the clock the whole time too). She's 21 and saw no problem with what her mother did... oh and she doesn't understand why she's no longer being considered for a promotion. 
    My parents were strict, but not helicopter parents.  My aunt was a helicopter parent, and she tried to do it to me, too.  My first day of college, I made an appointment with the career counselor to go over courses.  The career counselor greeted me with "Hi, so nice to meet you.  I just spoke to your Aunt regarding your coursework here and we came up with some ideas for how to proceed with your education."  I was pissed.  I was fully capable of making it through that appointment, and I was the one who had set it up in the first place.  I can't imagine being dependent on a parent as an adult.  

• levioosa said:
    indigo26 said:
    I don't get helicopter parents. How can anyone think that level of involvement in your child's life is healthy? Do they expect their children to live with them forever because there's no way their children are going to be able to function on their own. Case in point - last Friday, one of my co-irkers mother came in and cussed out our manager because her little precious didn't get the day off. My co-irker stood there behind her mother while it was happening (on the clock the whole time too). She's 21 and saw no problem with what her mother did... oh and she doesn't understand why she's no longer being considered for a promotion. 
    My parents were strict, but not helicopter parents.  My aunt was a helicopter parent, and she tried to do it to me, too.  My first day of college, I made an appointment with the career counselor to go over courses.  The career counselor greeted me with "Hi, so nice to meet you.  I just spoke to your Aunt regarding your coursework here and we came up with some ideas for how to proceed with your education."  I was pissed.  I was fully capable of making it through that appointment, and I was the one who had set it up in the first place.  I can't imagine being dependent on a parent as an adult.  
    This was my family.

I would have been pissed at both your aunt and the counselor.   Who gave her permission to discuss your future?

DH doesn't deal with parents.  But it doesn't stop them from trying. A lot of times the kid doesn't even tell the real story.  

DH has more than once said "oh did little Johnny/Suzy tell you they have called out sick every Monday for a month and that is why their hours are being cut?

Oh, did they not tell you they were caught clocking-in to work and then seen by the HR director in town (some 5 miles away)?  Or clocked-in and seen on surveillance cameras leaving property?

Did your perfect kid tell you that he was really skipping school and not in a work/study program?  Then when he got caught at school he was demanding me to sign off that he really was at work?"

• indigo26 said:

Ugh I agree 1000%. My coworker is a helicopter parent and it's nauseating.

I try to work into conversations that I was 26 when my mom died. Had she not taught me to be a productive member of society, I'd have been totally screwed, not just emotionally.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

• DH doesn't deal with parents.  But it doesn't stop them from trying. A lot of times the kid doesn't even tell the real story.  

DH has more than once said "oh did little Johnny/Suzy tell you they have called out sick every Monday for a month and that is why their hours are being cut?

Oh, did they not tell you they were caught clocking-in to work and then seen by the HR director in town (some 5 miles away)?  Or clocked-in and seen on surveillance cameras leaving property?

Did your perfect kid tell you that he was really skipping school and not in a work/study program?  Then when he got caught at school he was demanding me to sign off that he really was at work?"

Yes! I've seen it happen so many times. My manager couldn't get a word in to tell the mother that her daughter put a sticky note in the office after the schedule was already posted. We're supposed to put our requests into the computer four weeks ahead of time since our schedules are posted three weeks out. She could've called off, but she's done that so many times she's on the verge of being fired. She could've found someone to cover her shift, but no one will do her any favors because she's always slacking off. She created the entire situation but of course it wasn't her fault!

When I was a manager I had so many parents try to tell me how their children's schedules needed to be - I would tell them that due to corporate policy I couldn't talk to them and then hang up on them. 
  • In grad school, one of my fellow teaching assistants had a case of plagiarism in the class we were TAing.  Like really clear plagiarism, caught by turnitin.com.

The student was at least a sophomore, and his MOM called the TA's office to fuss at my friend about the plagiarism charges.  

SaveSave
  • ernursej said:

Your Mom may have actually been at risk to get chicken pox (although she may have had natural immunity by that point). You can't get shingles unless you've had chicken pox. Shingles is a reactivation of the virus.
  • ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

Your Mom may have actually been at risk to get chicken pox (although she may have had natural immunity by that point). You can't get shingles unless you've had chicken pox. Shingles is a reactivation of the virus.
    Really? None of her brothers had chicken pox but her brother has had shingles 3x
  • ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

Really? None of her brothers had chicken pox but her brother has had shingles 3x

You definitely have to have had chicken pox, or the chicken pox vaccine, to get shingles. The vaccine is essentially a live version of the virus, so it could potentially lead to shingles even though you never had the outbreak of the pox.

I was asked about chicken pox when I went through my cancer treatments. There was concern about it because I had no immune system. Since I had the chicken pox, they put me on high dosages of antibiotic to try and reduce the risk of shingles activating. Thankfully, it worked and I didn't get it. Cancer and shingles would have just been fucking shitty.

• ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

He could have had a very mild case which would allow the virus to be in his system and reactivate to shingles.
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016

Chicken Pox.  Third grade.  Just ran through the class like an epidemic.  No vaccine back then.  I don't remember feeling that sick.  Just itchy.  But I obviously I had to stay home from school until it was gone, which was about two weeks.  My poor mom had to stay home from work the whole time because my grandma had never had chicken pox.

Random memory, lol.  "Quincy" re-runs were on in the afternoon and my mom and I watched them every day during my illness.

My H got chicken pox as an adult (before I met him) and, just like they say, it was substantially worse for him.  He was pretty much bed-ridden for one week during the worst of it and was out sick for a month. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

Yup. Like a few Knotties have said above, could have been a real mild case.
  • banana468 said:
    I've been getting the whooping cough booster for only about 10 years.   It was drilled into me when I was pregnant with DD in 2010.

Now that we're in the school system I hope I don't have to deal repeatedly with antivaccers.   I still like the meme "If I can't send my kid to school with peanut butter you shouldn't be able to send your kid to school with infectious diseases." 
    They are not letting kids into our schools here that haven't been vaccinated. It's been a long time coming, but it's finally happening. The only exception now is medical. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards