Chit Chat

Who or what are you side-eyeing?

Re: Who or what are you side-eyeing?

• Yes! I feel bad for the kids of most mommy bloggers. What are they going to think in 15 years? Are they going to be happy about what is written about them and what photos were taken?

I have a dear friend, love her to death, but she posted a photo of her cringing holding her three month old with poop splattered all over him and down his leg because he had a blow out. Why? Just why? Rule for parents: before taking or sharing a photo, ask yourself this question, would I want this photo out in the universe if that was me? If the answer is no, DON'T POST THE PHOTO! 

I have already decided, and I don't even have kids yet, that I'm not taking any photos of my kid naked. My mom never took any photos of me and my sibs nude. No bath photos except one when we were in swimsuits all in the tub together. There were a few photos taken of my mom naked in the tub when she was young (in the days of film, thank goodness!) and she remembers the next door neighbor over once looking through albums and he seemed to take an extra long time looking at the particular pages with those photos. Creepy! My mom was embarrassed. And it's so much worse nowadays with social media. 

There's my other side eye. 
    If I take a naked photo of mine, it's belly up only and even then I don't post them. 
  • People who post their baby's face as their profile pic. No, that's not you. If you want a photo with your kid or someone else, fine, but I do not get posting an ultrasound or your new baby as the only person in the pic. Is there a parent in here who can make me understand why parents do this? It makes zero sense. 
    THIS. I wonder if these people pause for one second to consider the implications of making someone else your profile pic... is your entire identity being a mom? You have a personality and a life beyond your child (or you should...) so a picture of them alone (no matter how cute they are, how important they are to you, whatever) should not be your face to the world.
    A thousand times yes. A picture with your kids makes sense to me. A picture of your kids is AW at best and says some fascinating things about your self identity at worst.
    Idk. I very rarely have a picture of myself as my profile picture. It is my dog a lot of the time. I don't need randos on the internet knowing what I look like. I don't think it is that so deep that my entire identity is my dog, I just don't like putting pictures of myself on the internet if I can avoid it.
    Yeah I see this as different for the reason @crowsgirl15 mentioned- it's pretty bad if your reason for not having a pic of yourself is protecting your privacy but you're okay with having a pic of your kid!

I'll be honest though, it (I'm willing to admit, probably irrationally/unfairly) annoys me when people do the pet pic/sunset pic/object pic for their profile. It just seems incongruous with the whole idea of social media in general- why have a presence on those sites at all if you're THAT concerned with random strangers knowing things about you? The people I'm friends with on FB are my friends because I actually want to see their pictures and know about their lives, so I feel like it's kind of gaming the system to get to lurk on everyone else but withhold that information for yourself :P.

Stuck in a box. 

I don't have kids but I assume I will continue with my feeling and not post pictures of them excessively nor would I use them as a profile pic. I just thought the comments of people thinking children were their identity was a stretch. I generally think "i like this picture a lot. I will use it for a profile pic." It's not that deep.

To the bolded. I have all of my privacy settings to friends only. Not friends of friends, not public; friends only. Your profile pic is still public, available to the entire internet. It's true you wouldn't have to search too hard to find a picture of me but I don't just have it sitting there.
    Yeah I get that, that makes sense. I think the kid thing is more egregious because (in my experience) it really does tend to be people who let their personality be subsumed by their kids. Suddenly nothing they do on social media- general pics they post, status updates, articles they share etc.- is about anything but kids and parenting, and like one PP said it just becomes a bummer that you realize you no longer get updates about the person you were friends with but instead get a ton of information about how little Suzy just wouldn't go down for a nap today :/.
    I once had a friend post a picture of a folded blanket. The caption read "Jenni folded her own blanket for the first time!"...I think that's when I knew my Facebook life had taken a turn, lol. At least put a picture of your kid WITH the blanket...

My BFF said I should have responded with a picture of my made bed and #amateur, but I refrained...
    I totally posted a picture when I folded my first fitted sheet. But I was 35 and doing so made me a wizard. Nobody can do that, certainly not jenni after her subpar blanket fold.
    Ummmmm...see, the difference is what you did is one of the most impressive things I've ever heard. I'm sending this to Jenni. She may be 4, but she should know.

• My slacker students who find PE too hard.  I have one girl (one of my athletes) with a torn shoulder, so in a sling.  No physical activity.  But she can rid a stationary bike during cross country, right??  Cool.  Send her and 4 other broken/sick girls on a 400m walk (instead of warm up run) before football and she phones Dad to have him call me cos she can't run yet.  Yup, that's why I asked her if she could walk, and she said yes.  Sometimes I think my job would be so much more pleasant without parents and students.  ;)

• My slacker students who find PE too hard.  I have one girl (one of my athletes) with a torn shoulder, so in a sling.  No physical activity.  But she can rid a stationary bike during cross country, right??  Cool.  Send her and 4 other broken/sick girls on a 400m walk (instead of warm up run) before football and she phones Dad to have him call me cos she can't run yet.  Yup, that's why I asked her if she could walk, and she said yes.  Sometimes I think my job would be so much more pleasant without parents and students.  ;)
    FI says this all the time. He has an angry parent because he enforced his attendance policy and communicated directly with his student athlete about it. Their response, "if you have a problem leave her out of it and take it up wth is!"

I feel bad for her future employer when her mom calls to negotiate her raise for her. 
    FI says this all the time. He has an angry parent because he enforced his attendance policy and communicated directly with his student athlete about it. Their response, "if you have a problem leave her out of it and take it up wth is!"

I feel bad for her future employer when her mom calls to negotiate her raise for her. 
    You both make me extremely thankful for FERPA laws that prevent me from discussing anything with parents. 
  • I'm currently side-eying the women who are refusing to take the glucose test to determine gestational diabetes because the glucose drink is lab-created. Just drink the damn stuff and make sure you and your baby are healthy!
  • I'm currently side-eying the women who are refusing to take the glucose test to determine gestational diabetes because the glucose drink is lab-created. Just drink the damn stuff and make sure you and your baby are healthy!
    Random fun fact: 28 jelly beans have the exact amount of glucose in them as the 50 gram glucose drink and the test can be done that way.

I'm side eyeing the venue's coordinator who just called to ask if we could meet one more time because she "thought we'd touched base about some things we hadn't". We're an hour and a half away. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • drglitter said:
    Random fun fact: 28 jelly beans have the exact amount of glucose in them as the 50 gram glucose drink and the test can be done that way.

I'm side eyeing the venue's coordinator who just called to ask if we could meet one more time because she "thought we'd touched base about some things we hadn't". We're an hour and a half away. 
    Lots of doctors won't let you go that route, though. 

Can those things not be done by phone?
  • I am side-eyeing people who think it's the realtor's job to cut backyard grass.

I posted photos on fb about our faux cactus and us standing beside them {because it's hilarious tbh!} and someone said realtor should have cut them down.
    Uhm ... no. No she shouldn't. It's not her property and if anyone would have it would have been us. House has been vacant and former owner is now in a home {idk if nursing home or retirement home} not in the city.
  • I am side-eyeing people who think it's the realtor's job to cut backyard grass.

I posted photos on fb about our faux cactus and us standing beside them {because it's hilarious tbh!} and someone said realtor should have cut them down.
    Uhm ... no. No she shouldn't. It's not her property and if anyone would have it would have been us. House has been vacant and former owner is now in a home {idk if nursing home or retirement home} not in the city.

Huh.  I don't even know why anyone would think that.  A good seller's agent should suggest a grass cutting service to the owner, if things are looking bad.  But that is ultimately the seller's job to make their house look as good as possible.  Or not.  Either way, it's on them.

For foreclosures, banks pretty much always hire a lawn care service to cut the grass.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • People who post their baby's face as their profile pic. No, that's not you. If you want a photo with your kid or someone else, fine, but I do not get posting an ultrasound or your new baby as the only person in the pic. Is there a parent in here who can make me understand why parents do this? It makes zero sense. 
    THIS. I wonder if these people pause for one second to consider the implications of making someone else your profile pic... is your entire identity being a mom? You have a personality and a life beyond your child (or you should...) so a picture of them alone (no matter how cute they are, how important they are to you, whatever) should not be your face to the world.
    A thousand times yes. A picture with your kids makes sense to me. A picture of your kids is AW at best and says some fascinating things about your self identity at worst.
    Idk. I very rarely have a picture of myself as my profile picture. It is my dog a lot of the time. I don't need randos on the internet knowing what I look like. I don't think it is that so deep that my entire identity is my dog, I just don't like putting pictures of myself on the internet if I can avoid it.
    Yeah I see this as different for the reason @crowsgirl15 mentioned- it's pretty bad if your reason for not having a pic of yourself is protecting your privacy but you're okay with having a pic of your kid!

I'll be honest though, it (I'm willing to admit, probably irrationally/unfairly) annoys me when people do the pet pic/sunset pic/object pic for their profile. It just seems incongruous with the whole idea of social media in general- why have a presence on those sites at all if you're THAT concerned with random strangers knowing things about you? The people I'm friends with on FB are my friends because I actually want to see their pictures and know about their lives, so I feel like it's kind of gaming the system to get to lurk on everyone else but withhold that information for yourself :P.

Stuck in a box. 

I don't have kids but I assume I will continue with my feeling and not post pictures of them excessively nor would I use them as a profile pic. I just thought the comments of people thinking children were their identity was a stretch. I generally think "i like this picture a lot. I will use it for a profile pic." It's not that deep.

To the bolded. I have all of my privacy settings to friends only. Not friends of friends, not public; friends only. Your profile pic is still public, available to the entire internet. It's true you wouldn't have to search too hard to find a picture of me but I don't just have it sitting there.
    Yeah I get that, that makes sense. I think the kid thing is more egregious because (in my experience) it really does tend to be people who let their personality be subsumed by their kids. Suddenly nothing they do on social media- general pics they post, status updates, articles they share etc.- is about anything but kids and parenting, and like one PP said it just becomes a bummer that you realize you no longer get updates about the person you were friends with but instead get a ton of information about how little Suzy just wouldn't go down for a nap today :/.
    I once had a friend post a picture of a folded blanket. The caption read "Jenni folded her own blanket for the first time!"...I think that's when I knew my Facebook life had taken a turn, lol. At least put a picture of your kid WITH the blanket...

My BFF said I should have responded with a picture of my made bed and #amateur, but I refrained...
    I totally posted a picture when I folded my first fitted sheet. But I was 35 and doing so made me a wizard. Nobody can do that, certainly not jenni after her subpar blanket fold.
    Girl, that is impressive.  I'm almost 41 and still can't figure it out.

• MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    I wrote before mentioning a bride with a blog, this is the same bride. This girl made a dress appointment at a date/time without consulting others and now she's pissed that the people she invited can't come due to other plans. Now I'm side eyeing her sending my friend a looongggg passive aggressive message that includes "I know no one cares about my wedding...no one is making an effort... you guys disappoint me... make it about me for once, you'd understand if you went through the same". Jesus H, you could probably win crazy bride bingo. My friend genuinely feels bad about this because she's not used to the whole wedding thing (neither am I but I'm glad I came to the knot before learning somewhere else). I told her this girl is bordering on being a bridezilla and she did nothing wrong by having a life.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Huh.  I don't even know why anyone would think that.  A good seller's agent should suggest a grass cutting service to the owner, if things are looking bad.  But that is ultimately the seller's job to make their house look as good as possible.  Or not.  Either way, it's on them.

For foreclosures, banks pretty much always hire a lawn care service to cut the grass.

That's kind of what I thought. Our place was vacant {not foreclosed, just empty} for quite awhile before we moved it. Empty when we saw it back in January also! It's all weeds! We found an easy way to fix it though, so it'll make our lives easier.
  • my cousin posted this on her fb followed by a link to her wedding website...
    "18 days until we say I DO!!!!! If you're coming to the wedding and forgot/lost the wedding website here ya go! It has registry, location, times, RSVP, Guest Book, etc...."

• kylexokylexo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2016

double post!

• kylexo said:
    my cousin posted this on her fb followed by a link to her wedding website...
    "18 days until we say I DO!!!!! If you're coming to the wedding and forgot/lost the wedding website here ya go! It has registry, location, times, RSVP, Guest Book, etc...."

Who wants to bet they get some wedding crashers?
  • edited October 2016
    Damn double post!
  • kylexo said:
    my cousin posted this on her fb followed by a link to her wedding website...

Who wants to bet they get some wedding crashers?

i wouldn't be surprised! i'd do it myself if i lived closer...also the "registry" they have posted on their wedding website is a honey fund and on the rsvp section of the website, there is this great piece of copy - "Let's be honest, most people DO NOT usually mail back their RSVP.... we've made it easy for you here!!! Enter your name below to RSVP to our wedding events along with any other guests that will be joining you! The meal choices do not matter, there will be a buffet with options for you to choose from at the Reception. "

since they've been posting the link on both their face books almost constantly i'd be surprised if they didn't have people RSVP who they didn't invite. also they're on their 3rd venue, they changed as recently as a month ago. i'm not going but can't wait to see/hear how it was.

• My husband sending pictures of his meals from lunch #1 and lunch #2 on a group text while I'm eating tuna fish and crackers.  I would rather than compressed watermelon and short rib dish instead.  

I know of at least 2 more restaurants they are hitting up today and 1 late night place.   It might be a long night of pictures.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm currently side-eying my boss who decided he needed to come to work despite the fact he has a stomach virus and told me he's "sick from both ends." Gee...thanks for sharing that tidbit AND your virus.
  • I'm currently side-eying my boss who decided he needed to come to work despite the fact he has a stomach virus and told me he's "sick from both ends." Gee...thanks for sharing that tidbit AND your virus.
    Oh gods. I feel for you, @DrillSergeantCat. Hope you don't get sick!
  • Why are there an insane amount of school buses at the beginning of my drive to work every day?  For what POSSIBLE reason do there need to be 4-6 school buses, within a 1/4 mile of each other, at any one time?

And this phenomenon must happen all through the morning, because I don't always leave at the same time. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Why are there an insane amount of school buses at the beginning of my drive to work every day?  For what POSSIBLE reason do there need to be 4-6 school buses, within a 1/4 mile of each other, at any one time?

And this phenomenon must happen all through the morning, because I don't always leave at the same time. 

I live in a tiny town with about 800 people. I kid you not, if I don't leave by a specific time in the morning I will run into 4 different school buses all a few blocks. Granted, they're all coming together at the same time where I live because the middle/high school is at the top of the hill coming out of town but it's a pain in the ass. If I don't leave by exactly 7:18 in the morning, I'm guaranteed to get stuck behind multiple school buses going 20 mph up the hill. It's slightly rage-inducing. The schools are closed today where I live and it was glorious - way less traffic and no buses.
  • Saw a friend's announcement today on FB that they have their wedding website set up. I went to it. Very little details except registry information! Not even the location of the wedding was on there (town was just not actual venue). Registry however, was mentioned twice!
  • Saw a friend's announcement today on FB that they have their wedding website set up. I went to it. Very little details except registry information! Not even the location of the wedding was on there (town was just not actual venue). Registry however, was mentioned twice!
    Come on now...I mean...Priorities, after all!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards