Wedding Woes

Unpopular Opinions

I think it's time that we share some of these with each other.

Mine hit me in the car today.

I don't like Garth Brooks. It feels so good to get that off my chest.

Your turn!

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• I hate Luke Bryan. I can't stand his music, specifically the way he completely objectifies women in virtually every song.

And he sounds like Kermit.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I hate Luke Bryan. I can't stand his music, specifically the way he completely objectifies women in virtually every song.

I 100% agree with this @AtomicBlonde. I also hate how catchy his song are, because they always get stuck in my head even though I don't like them. 

• I'm over Taylor Swift. I know she donates a ton of money, and does a lot for charity, but I'm over her and her "squad". I get the feeling she thinks she invented celebrity feminism (or young feminism in general) and I just have to roll my eyes at all that. 
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2016
    I hate Luke Bryan. I can't stand his music, specifically the way he completely objectifies women in virtually every song.

I 100% agree with this @AtomicBlonde. I also hate how catchy his song are, because they always get stuck in my head even though I don't like them. 
    Oh goodness, yes! I like maybe one of his songs. It's not just the music and lyrics I dislike, although I think many of his songs are poorly written, I think his voice is terrible. Just plain a bad singer, in my opinion. 
  • I hate stadium country music. {ie; the new country singers}

I have an appreciation for country - real country. The original stuff. Closest to stadium country I like is Tim Mcgraw and Shania Twain.
  • I can't stand country music. 

I love black licorice. 

I don't get the "dressy joggers" trend - when women wear them, it looks like they are wearing sweatpants with heels. 

I live in New England, yet only like Manhattan clam chowder. (wow. that one felt good to unload.)
  • I don't hate country music, which is an unpopular opinion in my circles.  I wouldn't put it on if I controlled what was playing, but I have no strong feelings against it.  In fact, if it was a popular country song from about 1995 to 2005, I probably know all the lyrics because I has a very long ride on the school bus with a driver who was very into her country music stations.
  • Heffalump said:

Caramel and cheese popcorn together is gross.  I don't care if you call it Chicago mix, still gross.

Ew.
    Caramel popcorn. Cheese popcorn. Good but separate.
  • TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    Heffalump said:

Caramel and cheese popcorn together is gross.  I don't care if you call it Chicago mix, still gross.

Ew.
    It's so good, I get the Costco big-ass bag. 

ETA: Ketchup, All-Dressed, and Dill Pickle chips suck ass! However, I do love Jalepeno chips and Honey Mustard chips. 
  • Heffalump said:

Ew.
    It's so good, I get the Costco big-ass bag. 

ETA: Ketchup, All-Dressed, and Dill Pickle chips suck ass! However, I do love Jalepeno chips and Honey Mustard chips. 
    I LOVE dill pickle chips. It grosses my H out, but I can't help it, they're amazing.

• I hate fan favorite book series - Harry Potter, Twilight, Narnia, Hunger Games....once it hits fan frenzy I'm automatically uninterested.  
    If I am introduced to the series before it gets stupid big or if I feel like I stumble into it on my own, and I love it, I will continue to read and love it.  Like Harry Potter, which I discovered by accident when I was 11, the year the first book came out in paperback in the US.  But if I hear about it because it's a fad (GoT, Twilight, Divergent, etc.) I have zero interest.

I had a philosophy teacher "call me out" in front of the entire class because I had an Anne McCaffrey book on my desk and it had, emblazoned on the cover, "FROM THE NY TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR!" and he was all, "I know why you're reading that.  It's because it's a 'bestseller.'"  And I said, "No, actually, I've been reading these books since I was 11 and my mother gave me a book about dragons for Christmas, and this happens to be the next book up for me in the series.  I don't give a rat's ass if it's 'bestselling.'  The series is enjoyable for me, and that's the only thing I care about."

And he gave me that infuriating wink and "knowing smile" and said, "Okay, sugar.  Whatever you say."

So now, I avoid that shit like the plague.  And if they've made a movie/TV show about it before I've read the book, you can bet dollars to donuts I won't read or watch it.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I hate fan favorite book series - Harry Potter, Twilight, Narnia, Hunger Games....once it hits fan frenzy I'm automatically uninterested.  
    If I am introduced to the series before it gets stupid big or if I feel like I stumble into it on my own, and I love it, I will continue to read and love it.  Like Harry Potter, which I discovered by accident when I was 11, the year the first book came out in paperback in the US.  But if I hear about it because it's a fad (GoT, Twilight, Divergent, etc.) I have zero interest.

I had a philosophy teacher "call me out" in front of the entire class because I had an Anne McCaffrey book on my desk and it had, emblazoned on the cover, "FROM THE NY TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR!" and he was all, "I know why you're reading that.  It's because it's a 'bestseller.'"  And I said, "No, actually, I've been reading these books since I was 11 and my mother gave me a book about dragons for Christmas, and this happens to be the next book up for me in the series.  I don't give a rat's ass if it's 'bestselling.'  The series is enjoyable for me, and that's the only thing I care about."

And he gave me that infuriating wink and "knowing smile" and said, "Okay, sugar.  Whatever you say."

So now, I avoid that shit like the plague.  And if they've made a movie/TV show about it before I've read the book, you can bet dollars to donuts I won't read or watch it.
    I read the Hunger Games when it first came out and knew they would make a movie out of it. I was really reticent to read the Harry Potter series because it was so popular. I started reading it after the first movie came out, it reminded me of books I had read as a child. Someone had given me the Dark Materials trilogy just after it came out too, I loved it. 

Now, if someone would just make a movie out of any of the John Bellairs books so I can get them reprinted, that would be awesome. 
  • LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS! You need to cover your ass so we don't see your underwear! 

Sorry, it's prime legging season and I have seen too much of people's bits. 
    How hard is it to just wear an oversized tshirt or sweater?! Cover the front, cover the back. Not that hard. 
    Leggings lover over here. If I'm around the house, or taking my dog for a walk, or popping down to the corner store I give zero fucks about just wearing a regular t-shirt or tank (not oversized) and leggings. I see FAR worse fashion choices in the tiny podunk town that I live in. However, if I'm going out in public, I'll throw on an oversized sweater or longer tee that covers my butt because I know that people have strong opinions regarding leggings.
  • edited October 2016
    I don't like Pumpkin Spice anything.
    Same.

edit: unless it's in pie. Like the pumpkin spice in pumpkin pie.
  • Pumpkin spice is gross. 

And I hate Halloween.  I cannot wait until my kids are too old to care about it. 
  • edited October 2016
    mrsconn23 said:
    Pumpkin spice is gross. 

And I hate Halloween.  I cannot wait until my kids are too old to care about it. 
    I love Halloween, but I think parents should make at least some effort to get the kid in a costume. The area I'm in is mostly poor and Hispanic and probably 90% of my trick-or-treaters last year were just in their street clothes. I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing to not wear a costume or if it's an affordability thing, but I feel like not dressing up turns your kid from a trick-or-treater into a beggar.

eta - and I dont' mean it needs to be a store bought costume either, but at least tie a towel around the kids neck and say "i'm a superhero" or something.
  • I also hate Halloween. I hate being scared and I'm still (at 31 years old) a little afraid of the dark. 
  • Oh, and I have another one:  I do not give two shits about Mary Poppins.  SO. LAME.
  • I didn't like Frozen.  At all.

--Philip Pullman

• mrsconn23 said:
    Pumpkin spice is gross. 

I love Halloween, but I think parents should make at least some effort to get the kid in a costume. The area I'm in is mostly poor and Hispanic and probably 90% of my trick-or-treaters last year were just in their street clothes. I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing to not wear a costume or if it's an affordability thing, but I feel like not dressing up turns your kid from a trick-or-treater into a beggar.

eta - and I dont' mean it needs to be a store bought costume either, but at least tie a towel around the kids neck and say "i'm a superhero" or something.
    We've (DH is not a fan of Halloween either) always gotten the kids costumes.  We've never let the kiddo go out with no costume.  He doesn't ToT anymore because he's too old.  The last few years he did, his typical costume was jeans, a flannel, and a creepy mask.  I agree that you have to make an effort or make your kids make an effort to dress up if they want to go out.  But once they're in 7th or 8th grade, they should also be cut off from ToT.