Wedding Woes
Options

Unpopular Opinions

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• Options

I also don't like sweet tea or biscuits.  Which, in the South where I currently live, is akin to kicking puppies.  For those of you who don't know, because I didn't until I moved here, "sweet tea" is iced tea where the sugar has already been added for you.  Usually by the cup load....and I mean for one glass.  It is also gag-inducing for me because of the sheer sickly sweetness of it. 

I am soooooo late to this, but I wanted to chime in on the tea thing.

I was almost disowned when H's family found out I can't stand sweet tea.  My mouth finds it to be one of the most disgusting things on the planet (right up there with Image result for minion banana gif).  
    I don't tolerate sweet things well, and the sweeter it is, the less I like it... and the amount of sugar in the sweet tea H's GM and mom make renders it virtually sugar water.  I actually asked his GM if she was making it right after the third cupful of sugar went into the brew.  She laughed and said, "Honey, it STILL won't be sweet enough."

Barf.

It's also apparently a "Southern" thing to put sugar in your grits (according to H and his family). Blech. Pass me the Tabasco instead. 

Edited because I wanted to add the minion.
    I had a friend in NC who would down a 32 ounce (or larger at times) sweet tea directly after working. I gagged a few times watching that. Sweet tea is gross. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    yes, canned cranberry sauce and stove top stuffing all the way.
    I hate stuffing.   And pumpkin pie.   It's mostly a texture issue for me.  Stuffing is like oatmeal to me and as soon as it touches my tongue, my mouth sends the 'GTFO' signal.  Same with pumpkin pie, but I'm also not big on the taste of pumpkin.  I will do a pumpkin roll that has a fuckton of cream cheese frosting rolled up in it.

I guess I've always been lucky because my family does a crap ton of food, so I can avoid the stuff I don't like during holidays. :D 

DH's family makes this turkey casserole with TG leftovers (they call it 'turkey hot dish') and I hate it since it's like 60% stuffing.  I am a disappointment to them all. ;) 
    We make our stuffing with fresh bread and lots of butter, it comes out super crispy and moist. I did a pumpkin cheesecake and a pumpkin pound cake one year. I also do a lemon cranberry pound cake at Christmas, mainly because you soak the cranberries in rum. 
  • Options

I don't understand the love of corn dogs, chicken pot pies and chicken fried steak with white gravy.

Not yummy, yo.

• Options
    I pretty much hate all Thanksgiving food and am glad I will be having a baby right around then so I don't have to worry about any of it 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Oh I have an UO about cranberry...I *love* *love* *love* the canned shit.  LOVE it.  I know most people think it's gross, but MORE FOR ME. 

I love both kinds.  Is that weird?  I always serve whole berry and canned.  I make the whole berry from scratch (which feels ridiculous to type out because it's almost as easy as canned), serve it right alongside the canned, and love both. 

I don't tolerate sweet things well, and the sweeter it is, the less I like it... and the amount of sugar in the sweet tea H's GM and mom make renders it virtually sugar water.  I actually asked his GM if she was making it right after the third cupful of sugar went into the brew.  She laughed and said, "Honey, it STILL won't be sweet enough."

Barf.

It's also apparently a "Southern" thing to put sugar in your grits (according to H and his family). Blech. Pass me the Tabasco instead. 

Back when I was still a Yankee, the first time I went to DH's mom's and tried the tea, I about died.  I was expecting regular Yankee iced tea (unsweetened, because that's all I had ever had) and got a mouthful of syrup.  I don't know how much sugar she put in hers, but it was super sweet, even by southern standards.

I have never heard of sugar in grits.  Cheese, sure.  Shrimp, definitely.  Sugar?  Not a thing I have seen or tried.

mrsconn23 said:
    I hate stuffing.   And pumpkin pie.   It's mostly a texture issue for me.  Stuffing is like oatmeal to me and as soon as it touches my tongue, my mouth sends the 'GTFO' signal.  Same with pumpkin pie, but I'm also not big on the taste of pumpkin.  I will do a pumpkin roll that has a fuckton of cream cheese frosting rolled up in it.

I guess I've always been lucky because my family does a crap ton of food, so I can avoid the stuff I don't like during holidays. :D 

I like stuffing, but I feel like if you're not doing it from scratch (which is fine by me), Pepperidge Farm >>>>> Stove Top.  And speaking of an abomination, oysters in stuffing is a total abomination. 

Pumpkin pie is not quite an abomination, but I don't enjoy eating it.  I do have a pumpkin pecan pie that I make sometimes to appease the pumpkin pie lovers (it's basically pecan pie on top of a pumpkin pie base), and I have this really good recipe for pumpkin meringue in a gingersnap crust.  But traditional pumpkin pie doesn't do it for me.  I can't even eat a skinny piece just to be polite.

And YES to cream cheese frosting.  DH jokes that I would eat one of those yellow sponges if it had cream cheese frosting on it.  I do a lamb cake every Easter, and it always gets cream cheese frosting.  I make cream cheese frosting for cupcakes.  When the kids were little-little and couldn't make specific requests, I used cream cheese frosting for their birthday cakes.  I don't think they even knew other options existed until they had cake at friends' birthdays.

• Options
    Heffalump said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    Oh I have an UO about cranberry...I *love* *love* *love* the canned shit.  LOVE it.  I know most people think it's gross, but MORE FOR ME. 

I love both kinds.  Is that weird?  I always serve whole berry and canned.  I make the whole berry from scratch (which feels ridiculous to type out because it's almost as easy as canned), serve it right alongside the canned, and love both. 

Barf.

Back when I was still a Yankee, the first time I went to DH's mom's and tried the tea, I about died.  I was expecting regular Yankee iced tea (unsweetened, because that's all I had ever had) and got a mouthful of syrup.  I don't know how much sugar she put in hers, but it was super sweet, even by southern standards.

I have never heard of sugar in grits.  Cheese, sure.  Shrimp, definitely.  Sugar?  Not a thing I have seen or tried.

mrsconn23 said:

I like stuffing, but I feel like if you're not doing it from scratch (which is fine by me), Pepperidge Farm >>>>> Stove Top.  And speaking of an abomination, oysters in stuffing is a total abomination. 

Pumpkin pie is not quite an abomination, but I don't enjoy eating it.  I do have a pumpkin pecan pie that I make sometimes to appease the pumpkin pie lovers (it's basically pecan pie on top of a pumpkin pie base), and I have this really good recipe for pumpkin meringue in a gingersnap crust.  But traditional pumpkin pie doesn't do it for me.  I can't even eat a skinny piece just to be polite.

And YES to cream cheese frosting.  DH jokes that I would eat one of those yellow sponges if it had cream cheese frosting on it.  I do a lamb cake every Easter, and it always gets cream cheese frosting.  I make cream cheese frosting for cupcakes.  When the kids were little-little and couldn't make specific requests, I used cream cheese frosting for their birthday cakes.  I don't think they even knew other options existed until they had cake at friends' birthdays.

I'm not much of a sweets person, but I love cream cheese frosting.  I make it myself (super easy) and put in half the sugar the recipe calls for.  Still sweet, but much more cream cheesy.

For our first few years together, I dazzled and amazed my now-H with my cream cheese frosting making abilities.  He was always so impressed by it.  Then one day he asked me to teach him how to make it.  I knew the frosting bonus points would be gone when he saw how simple it was, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cream cheese frosting is the only reason why I like carrot cake.

• Options
    Also, I think more people should just bake for the smell.

I may not eat the pumpkin apple butter I'm currently making.

• Options
    GBCK said:
    Also, I think more people should just bake for the smell.

I may not eat the pumpkin apple butter I'm currently making.

You can bake things and send them to me :)
  • Options
    I think my time is valuable and that someone else's poor planning doesn't constitute an emergency for me.

Apparently that's an unpopular opinion in my workplace.
  • Options
    cream cheese frosting is the only reason why I like carrot cake.

As I said in an above post, I'm not a fan of chocolate.  But my H is.

He bakes chocolate cakes a couple times a month and uses my cream cheese frosting on those.  It's not just for carrot cakes any more ;).  It's a good taste combo, even for choco-holics.

Red velvet cake is another one traditionally served with cream cheese frosting.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My UO is I hate all forms of pre-made stuffing. I was raised with homemade stuffing so spoiled self hates stovetop, etc
  • Options
    I think my time is valuable and that someone else's poor planning doesn't constitute an emergency for me.

I have a similar work UO, and that is that if you made a mistake, it actually IS your fault. You don't get to blame whoever you can think of for your lack of attention to detail (i.e. saying "oh yeah Sally was supposed to check that for me but she missed it so it's her fault"). People at my work need to quit passing blame and just say "Oh, I'm sorry! I'll try to keep it from happening again."

Why is that so hard?

• Options

I have a similar work UO, and that is that if you made a mistake, it actually IS your fault. You don't get to blame whoever you can think of for your lack of attention to detail (i.e. saying "oh yeah Sally was supposed to check that for me but she missed it so it's her fault"). People at my work need to quit passing blame and just say "Oh, I'm sorry! I'll try to keep it from happening again."

Why is that so hard?

In my office, people spend hours discussing who made what mistake and how X is Y's fault but no one ever tries to help fix it.

We're the middle man. Regardless of who made the mistake, we need to be the ones to fix it and everyone will always blame us. It's the nature of the business. Suck it up and move in.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    crowsgirl15crowsgirl15 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2016

Do we work at the same office?? Also, to my coworkers, your children should not affect my schedule...especially not my sleep schedule. So, to the parent who cannot come into work until 1 hour after the rest of us because you have to drop your kids off at day care: An appropriate work around is not to call me at 10:30 at night...

...evidently, an unpopular opinion.

• Options
    Unpopular opinion: I am not a foodie. I cannot relate to people who love coming up with new recipes and who enjoy talking about food all the time, especially when we are eating.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • Options

I don't care for chocolate.  I can eat it.  I don't think it tastes bad, but it's just a "meh" taste, so I rarely eat it.  Though white chocolate is completely awful.  There are few things I can't choke down and that is one of them.  Just thinking about it makes me want to start gagging.

I also don't like sweet tea or biscuits.  Which, in the South where I currently live, is akin to kicking puppies.  For those of you who don't know, because I didn't until I moved here, "sweet tea" is iced tea where the sugar has already been added for you.  Usually by the cup load....and I mean for one glass.  It is also gag-inducing for me because of the sheer sickly sweetness of it. 

To be fair, I didn't know this was a thing until I travelled to the South. Unfortunately, I was never able to get a decent cup of hot tea while in the States, but I discovered unsweetened iced tea which is awesome (I don't like sweet stuff).

Do they not have the typical unsweet tea in Canada?  That is a drink staple for me.  I usually have a jug of it in my fridge.  The unsweet tea is served all over the U.S., it's just in the South (as far as I know) that they have the "sweet or unsweet" choice.
    Nope they have sweet and unsweet here in Indiana.
  • Options

I am soooooo late to this, but I wanted to chime in on the tea thing.

I was almost disowned when H's family found out I can't stand sweet tea.  My mouth finds it to be one of the most disgusting things on the planet (right up there with Image result for minion banana gif).  

Barf.

Raised in the south but never had sweet tea growing up. Don't like it. Also never heard of putting sugar on grits! Cheese all the way (or shrimp!).
  • Options
    Sweet tea for the win and sugar and butter on grits, rice, oatmeal, malt o'meal, and cream of wheat. 

Now I'm craving cream of wheat. 
  • Options
    I put brown sugar on my grits, and when I travel south I get roundly mocked for it.
    But I figure I should get points for being a yankee who eats grits
  • Options
    poutine was ok, but not ZOMG THE BEST THING EVER. 
    even the bacon didn't save it. 
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    Uhm what.
  • Options
    Speaking of... I don't particularly like bacon.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    Oh thank gawd I'm not the only one. People think I'm weird.
  • Options
    GBCK said:
    I put brown sugar on my grits, and when I travel south I get roundly mocked for it.

When I first moved to NOLA, I was hanging out with my b/f at the time and another couple.  B/f and the other woman were born and raised in NOLA.  I was from So. CA and the other guy was from Ohio.

We got on the subject of grits.  I talked about that it was okay, but I didn't really care for it.  Ohio guy said he only liked grits if there was brown sugar on it.  I perked up and said, "Oh yeah!  That would be good."

My b/f and NOLA-born friend looked at both of us with a serious side-eye.  She said with a derisive tone, "You mean like Cream of Wheat?"

Me and Ohio guy nodded our heads with an enthusiastic yes.  I said, "Exactly!  Except I like Cream of Wheat better."

NOLA friend, shaking her head in disgust, "Y'all are both such Yankees."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    GBCK said:

When I first moved to NOLA, I was hanging out with my b/f at the time and another couple.  B/f and the other woman were born and raised in NOLA.  I was from So. CA and the other guy was from Ohio.

We got on the subject of grits.  I talked about that it was okay, but I didn't really care for it.  Ohio guy said he only liked grits if there was brown sugar on it.  I perked up and said, "Oh yeah!  That would be good."

My b/f and NOLA-born friend looked at both of us with a serious side-eye.  She said with a derisive tone, "You mean like Cream of Wheat?"

Me and Ohio guy nodded our heads with an enthusiastic yes.  I said, "Exactly!  Except I like Cream of Wheat better."

NOLA friend, shaking her head in disgust, "Y'all are both such Yankees."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    Uhm what.
    i actually thought it was kind of bland, and the cheese curds were  an odd texture - almost like chunks of string cheese. the overall texture was off as well - it needed something more crispy - the bacon was sort of floppy, so that didn't even give it a crunch. 

maybe i needed to try it from another restaurant. 
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    *Barbie* said:
    Uhm what.
    i actually thought it was kind of bland, and the cheese curds were  an odd texture - almost like chunks of string cheese. the overall texture was off as well - it needed something more crispy - the bacon was sort of floppy, so that didn't even give it a crunch. 

maybe i needed to try it from another restaurant. 
    Next time go to a chip truck, better fries. Try without bacon first, rarely do places do well when mixing other stuff in.
  • Options
    Oh thank gawd I'm not the only one. People think I'm weird.
    So i can pass up bacon, but I do like it and will eat it.  It's FI's favorite. While we were in Frankenmuth a few years ago locals all told us to try Tony's !-75 Restaurant.  It was on DDD - and it specialized in like a pound of bacon on everything that has bacon on it.

So we went there, and NOTHING appealed to us.  It was nasty rubbery, tasteless bacon.  I don't know how this place was even featured on DDD or a local favorite.

Point is, bacon needs to be center cut and cooked to perfection .