Wedding Woes

Unpopular Opinions

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• Speaking of... I don't particularly like bacon.
    Oh thank gawd I'm not the only one. People think I'm weird.
    So i can pass up bacon, but I do like it and will eat it.  It's FI's favorite. While we were in Frankenmuth a few years ago locals all told us to try Tony's !-75 Restaurant.  It was on DDD - and it specialized in like a pound of bacon on everything that has bacon on it.

So we went there, and NOTHING appealed to us.  It was nasty rubbery, tasteless bacon.  I don't know how this place was even featured on DDD or a local favorite.

Point is, bacon needs to be center cut and cooked to perfection .
    Only time I eat back is when it's cooked so much it's burnt {easier to ask for when you work at the restaurant} and dipped in maple syrup. It's the salty-sweet-crunch that I liked.

• Point is, bacon needs to be center cut and cooked to perfection .
    Only time I eat back is when it's cooked so much it's burnt {easier to ask for when you work at the restaurant} and dipped in maple syrup. It's the salty-sweet-crunch that I liked.
    yes! Usually restaurants don't get that right.  Same with breakfast sausage.  Cooked really really well. Burnt almost.  I feel like bacon and sausage are always undercooked at places.  "When there's a fire truck out back, then it's cooked to my liking".   But most people tend to avoid that....

• Yes, we Nola folks only do butter and salt and pepper. Keep that sugar over there.
  • *Barbie* said:
    poutine was ok, but not ZOMG THE BEST THING EVER. 
    even the bacon didn't save it. 
    Did you have it at a Poutinerie or a fast food run of the mill place? Poutine from a Poutinerie is the best. It has the best gravy and the fries are the perfect crispness.
  • *Barbie* said:
    Did you have it at a Poutinerie or a fast food run of the mill place? Poutine from a Poutinerie is the best. It has the best gravy and the fries are the perfect crispness.
    It was one of the food court places at the underground mall
  • *Barbie* said:
    *Barbie* said:
    Ugh, yeah you need a Poutinerie or at least a Smoke's. The curds should still be cold so they don't melt right away and the fries need to be crisp. So good!
  • @*Barbie* we're not really known for Reuben's, so I'm not surprised.
    What'd you get at Tims? Also I've heard our Heinz is sweeter. I'm not sure why, and tbh I've never tried American Heinz so I'm taking your word on that. My only guess is different tomatoes?
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2016
    @MissKittyDanger - the concierge recommended Reubens as somewhere closeby with "traditional" Montreal food. (I had been travelling for like 14 hours at that point, so wasn't up for a trek for food - the 2-3 block walk was more than enough at that point.)
    I just got a chicken wrap with a double chocolate and a pop - and hockey cards. Would've loved to get a signed Crosby one. I would have taken some timbits back to the hotel, but it was fairly late (like 9/930pm) and they were pretty picked over. 
    I'm originally from Pittsburgh, home of Heinz, so I'm a purist. I put ketchup on a lot of stuff that people find weird (mac n cheese, cheese fries, hot dogs) but if I go somewhere that carries Hunt's or another non-Heinz option, I will go so far as to order something that doesn't need ketchup. 
    ETA - I think they added some sort of sweetener - sugar, corn syrup, etc. It was off. 
  • @*Barbie* Next time you're by a tims, go earlier in the day. Some places are open 24hrs {typically near bars lol} and can have more options of donuts/timbits.
    Makes sense why you're 'picky' on ketchup. I've never been to Pittsburgh so I'm curious on the flavour difference. And you're not weird, my H and I put ketchup on a lot {he puts on more stuff than me} but the 3 you mentioned, I always put ketchup on ;)
  • The one i was at was 24 hours, but may have just has a run. I like Dunkin better, but Tim's donuts are similar style, and pretty good. They don't make it as far south as Pittsburgh, so I had never had them until I was in Calgary a few years ago. 

I LOVED the botanical gardens. I must have walked at least 6 or 7 miles and I only saw parts of it during the daylight hours. I also went to the Insectarium and listened to a lecture about spiders in French. I'm nowhere near fluent, but I got the gist. I missed out on some things like the Chinese and Japanese gardens, during daylight, but I did walk through both during the light show.
  • 6fsn said:
    I don't like Gilmore girls. There, I said it. 
    I don't either. I tried and I just couldn't get into it.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    6fsn said:
    I don't either. I tried and I just couldn't get into it.
    I'm not understanding this.  Someone doesn't like GG? 

That's OK :)  I have a few shows I just don't get either and the rest of the world goes crazy for (GoT is one of those)

edit: and walking dead.  Can't get into that one either, and the supernatural is my thing.

• Heffalump said:
    6fsn said:

I'll see you your GG and raise you one: I think Rory is annoying.
    All of them are annoying!! I don't do game of thrones or walking dead. 
  • 6fsn said:
    Heffalump said:
    6fsn said:

Me neither. Did we just become best friends?
  • 6fsn said:
    Heffalump said:
    6fsn said:

And me to the list of not liking GG, GoT, or Walking Dead...
  • 6fsn said:
    Heffalump said:
    6fsn said:

Add me to all three. Plus I find all the Gilmore Girls revival stuff pandering.

• edited December 2016
    I hate when people with super short hair wear very long hair extensions so it looks obviously fake. I think it looks silly! 

Also.......in the UK most pale skinned women do not look nice in white wedding dresses. Most brides I have ever seen in the UK are too pale to carry off an all white dress and normally look very washed out/pasty. Maybe they should choose more of an off white colour like ivory or cream.

Inless you have dark skin, brown skin or you have a slight tan or at least an olive skin tone, a bright white wedding dress don't look good, in my opinion.

• I don't like coffee, beer, dry wine, or watermelon.

I don't like hip-hop music.
  • *Barbie* said:
    *Barbie* said:
    *Barbie* said:
    Ugh, yeah you need a Poutinerie or at least a Smoke's. The curds should still be cold so they don't melt right away and the fries need to be crisp. So good!
    Your Canadian is showing, eh? ;)
    i fixed it. ^^
    also, for some reason, the Heinz ketchup was weirdly sweet. (i had it on regular fries)
    I did stop at Tim Horton's for a snack, one night. I also tried a smoked meat sandwich (from Reuben's - I wasn't near Shwartz's) - it wasn't bad either, but I've lived in TX for the last 6 years, and our brisket is better. 
    French's Ketchup is better than Heinz- less sweet.

There was quite the drama around here a few years ago when Heinz got bought out and stopped making ketchup (they still make other tomato products) at the Leamington, ON plant (tomato capital of Canada). French's advertises their ketchup is 100% Canadian tomatoes. I think it tastes better.
  • SP29 said:
    *Barbie* said:
    *Barbie* said:
    *Barbie* said:
    i fixed it. ^^
    also, for some reason, the Heinz ketchup was weirdly sweet. (i had it on regular fries)
    I did stop at Tim Horton's for a snack, one night. I also tried a smoked meat sandwich (from Reuben's - I wasn't near Shwartz's) - it wasn't bad either, but I've lived in TX for the last 6 years, and our brisket is better. 

There was quite the drama around here a few years ago when Heinz got bought out and stopped making ketchup (they still make other tomato products) at the Leamington, ON plant (tomato capital of Canada). French's advertises their ketchup is 100% Canadian tomatoes. I think it tastes better.

On the flip side of that.  There was a funny commercial earlier in the year advertising Heinz mustard.  The idea was ketchup was finally paired with his "soul mate" mustard.  There was also an ex-g/f mustard in the ad.  Suspiciously shaped like a French's mustard.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    Max_G said:
    I hate when people with super short hair wear very long hair extensions so it looks obviously fake. I think it looks silly! 

Also.......in the UK most pale skinned women do not look nice in white wedding dresses. Most brides I have ever seen in the UK are too pale to carry off an all white dress and normally look very washed out/pasty. Maybe they should choose more of an off white colour like ivory or cream.

Inless you have dark skin, brown skin or you have a slight tan or at least an olive skin tone, a bright white wedding dress don't look good, in my opinion.

It's all a matter of the white tone and your own undertones.   I'm as pale as they get.   I wear the lightest shade of foundation and my dress was WHITE.  

And I rocked it.  

I hear ya!  I think the only color worse on me than white is pale yellow.  Black is another bad color on me.  I always roll my eyes at the advice, "Every woman should have a go-to LBD."  Hell no, not this one.

I very seriously considered ditching white all together and wear an emerald green ball gown instead.  But, as dumb as it sounds, I just didn't feel "bridal" wearing  a colored gown.

Instead, I wore a gown interlaced with red embroidery on the bodice and the hem.  That little pop of color made all the difference!  It really warmed the dress up.

I also considered gowns with a colored ribbon/sash around the waist.  Just anything to break up that white, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SP29 said:
    *Barbie* said:
    *Barbie* said:
    *Barbie* said:
    i fixed it. ^^

On the flip side of that.  There was a funny commercial earlier in the year advertising Heinz mustard.  The idea was ketchup was finally paired with his "soul mate" mustard.  There was also an ex-g/f mustard in the ad.  Suspiciously shaped like a French's mustard.
    I am a BIG FAN (yes, I am shouting) of mustard. BIG. FAN. I always have at least 4 kinds in our fridge. I was always a French's yellow mustard advocate (and scoffed at the thought of Heinz) until H & I went out to a diner for lunch on NYE because I had a massive craving for a turkey melt on rye. The diner served Heinz yellow mustard. It took all of my willpower not to squirt the entire contents of that bottle into my mouth.

I have never had French's ketchup, though. I wasn't even aware that they made ketchup - is it a Canada-only thing? Or can you get it in the US?
  • UO: I hate Christmas and New Years Proposals (Valentines Day is even worse IMO, but at least those aren't currently clogging up my social media)
    I'll relax and say I don't care if you propose AROUND those holidays but I think it's AWish to do them on the holiday in question because it generally means you wanted an audience.