Wedding Woes

Vent

Re: Vent

• lyndausvi said:
    My vent today is DH's aversion to potatoes.  He says "it's the texture" he doesn't like, but it's simply just potatoes in any form.  I know, I know... I am fully capable of making any kind of potato dish I want, whenever I want, "weird texture" be damned... but it's really discouraging to prepare a deliciously steaming meal of, say, beef stew and glance over to find DH has shoved all the potatoes off to one side.  Potatoes have always been a staple of my diet, and it's hard adapting my favorite recipes to something DH will want to eat, too.  And if I want some kind of potato side dish, I have this irrational compunction to also make DH some kind of "H approved" dish, which is extra effort.

I just wish he'd eat them....  I'm tired of yams.
    I can't comprehend!  I grew up on potatoes.   Mashed, boiled, fried, baked, au gratin, yummy.  Oddly, I'm not a fan of tater tots or hash browns. Ha.

On another note, DH and I often eat different foods for dinner.  We just have different tastes.   It's not a big deal for either of us.  

As far as him pushing potatoes to the side?   I would be thinking "yeah,  more taters for me!"  Or just cut down the amount you put in knowing he will not eat them anyway.
    yup.  DH doesn't like sweet potatoes or most squashes.  the homechef meals we buy have selected sides and a few times it can be those.  I'll usually make him something else and it's totally a "more for me!" attitude.

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2016
    My vent today is DH's aversion to potatoes.  He says "it's the texture" he doesn't like, but it's simply just potatoes in any form.  I know, I know... I am fully capable of making any kind of potato dish I want, whenever I want, "weird texture" be damned... but it's really discouraging to prepare a deliciously steaming meal of, say, beef stew and glance over to find DH has shoved all the potatoes off to one side.  Potatoes have always been a staple of my diet, and it's hard adapting my favorite recipes to something DH will want to eat, too.  And if I want some kind of potato side dish, I have this irrational compunction to also make DH some kind of "H approved" dish, which is extra effort.

Our go-to Sunday breakfast is corned beef hash.  We'll usually give a small spoonful to both the dog and the cat.

The cat will WOLF down the corned beef part.  Lick clean the tiny, tiny cubes of potato.  But won't actually eat them.  Meanwhile, the dog is staring at her.  Just waiting for her to walk away from the assortment of tiny potato cubes, lol.

I'm with you.  To me, yams are not remotely the same thing.

Potato chips are my all-time favorite snack!  Even as a kid, I'd prefer that over a candy bar.  I couldn't imagine life without them, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My vent today is DH's aversion to potatoes.  He says "it's the texture" he doesn't like, but it's simply just potatoes in any form.  I know, I know... I am fully capable of making any kind of potato dish I want, whenever I want, "weird texture" be damned... but it's really discouraging to prepare a deliciously steaming meal of, say, beef stew and glance over to find DH has shoved all the potatoes off to one side.  Potatoes have always been a staple of my diet, and it's hard adapting my favorite recipes to something DH will want to eat, too.  And if I want some kind of potato side dish, I have this irrational compunction to also make DH some kind of "H approved" dish, which is extra effort.

Our go-to Sunday breakfast is corned beef hash.  We'll usually give a small spoonful to both the dog and the cat.

The cat will WOLF down the corned beef part.  Lick clean the tiny, tiny cubes of potato.  But won't actually eat them.  Meanwhile, the dog is staring at her.  Just waiting for her to walk away from the assortment of tiny potato cubes, lol.

I'm with you.  To me, yams are not remotely the same thing.

Potato chips are my all-time favorite snack!  Even as a kid, I'd prefer that over a candy bar.  I couldn't imagine life without them, lol.

We had a cat that did that with peas. Back in the late 80s/early 90s there was something called "Kitty Stew" and apparently he'd eat everything and lick whatever was on peas and in bowl, but wouldn't eat them
  • 6fsn said:
    My kids all hate potatoes. They sometimes go for fries but will just as often pick apple slices in their kids meal. 

We we used to have a dog that could pick the peas out of mashed potatoes. We'd have potatoes, gravy and peas mixed all up. He'd leave a pile of peas. 
    I think there is a secret dog code that they will not eat any vegetables.  No matter how much gravy or yummy stuff is on/around the vegetables.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Guess who's husband fell asleep and didn't clean .... *points to self*
  • 6fsn said:
    My kids all hate potatoes. They sometimes go for fries but will just as often pick apple slices in their kids meal. 

We we used to have a dog that could pick the peas out of mashed potatoes. We'd have potatoes, gravy and peas mixed all up. He'd leave a pile of peas. 
    I think there is a secret dog code that they will not eat any vegetables.  No matter how much gravy or yummy stuff is on/around the vegetables.
    My dog loves vegetables. She won't eat peanut butter, or cheese, or any other "usual" dog things. But throw broccoli or a carrot at her and she's happy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The term "breastaurants".  Referring to restaurant business models where the servers are scantily clad.  Such as Hooters, Twin Peaks...and the new one I read about today...Bombshells.  Bombshells is a "military themed" restaurant of this business model.

I don't even care about the concept.  I mean, hey, if a restaurant can get away with selling overpriced food that is mediocre at best*...simply because their serving staff wears skimpy outfits.  More power to'em.  It's the American way.

But just stop with the gag-inducing term "breastaurant".  To give Bombshells credit, they don't like the term either.

*I can't speak of Bombshells or personally speak for Twin Peaks.  But so true of Hooters and, at least in my area, Twin Peaks has the same "crap food for high prices" reputation.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Guess who's husband fell asleep and didn't clean .... *points to self*

Time to call your bridesmaids to help you bury the body ;).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2016
    Guess who's husband fell asleep and didn't clean .... *points to self*

Time to call your bridesmaids to help you bury the body ;).
    basically lol I knew they had a job to do! ;)
  • lyndausvi said:

@OliveOilsMom

I forgot to touch on them being rich.

Most of our members are amazing.   They respect us.  They understand needing to balance the needs of ALL members.  They give us hugs, xmas presents, ask us how WE are doing.  They take us out to dinner, go on hikes or bike rides. Even offered to fly DH on their private plane when his mom had the stroke.  They are really nice, sweet, respectful people.    

The "problem" people tend to be the younger members. New younger wives/GFs are by far the worse.  The sense of entitlement is over-the-top.  

The older members (50 or older) are on average, much nicer, respectful to the staff.  They are the reason we have such policies of no large parties in the main dining room.   They think ALL members should have the ability to eat dinner during this week.  Not one member deciding to take up the dining room for a private party.   You want a private party, then you have to use another room.  You get your party and 120+ other people gets to eat here too.  Seems fair.
    My best friend works at a luxury resort that costs a lot of money to stay at and I thought her way of describing their guests was funny- she said the people who are really rich who come there are very chill and pleasant because this is just another vacation to them and they can do things like this all the time. It's actually the people who are less wealthy who are the problem guests because they are stressing about everything being perfect and very entitled because they feel like they are breaking the bank on this trip. I never thought of it that way but it makes sense- do you find the same sort of thing to be true with the members at your club?
  • DH's NYE work schedule has been up in the air for a few weeks.  He came home today and said it's likely he *won't* have to work NYE (overnight).  

The kiddo is leaving in a couple hours to go to FIL's for the weekend.  They're going to a family friend's house for a NYE party.  

My friend and her H offered to come over and hang out when I thought DH had to work. We'd drink and play CAH or other games.  DefConn would be here, but he'll watch his Fire and be happy to chill.  I have kept the offer on the back-burner, but now it's all I want to do. 

I have a feeling DH wants to head toward FIL's and go to the party, but I'm kind of over crowds (and family).   The party would be fun, but I feel like I get no holidays at my house and I'm kind of over it.  I know I'm partly being a whiny baby (especially since I'm off this week and have been home the whole time and not doing much of anything), but I can't help it.  FIL can be exhausting sometimes and while his dog is sweet, she's a puppy and not well-trained at that.  So yeah...we'll see.  I have a feeling DH will 'win' because I don't want to fight and I don't want to sit at home alone on NYE.   But I'd really rather be low-key with my friends. 
  • My vent today is DH's aversion to potatoes.  He says "it's the texture" he doesn't like, but it's simply just potatoes in any form.  I know, I know... I am fully capable of making any kind of potato dish I want, whenever I want, "weird texture" be damned... but it's really discouraging to prepare a deliciously steaming meal of, say, beef stew and glance over to find DH has shoved all the potatoes off to one side.  Potatoes have always been a staple of my diet, and it's hard adapting my favorite recipes to something DH will want to eat, too.  And if I want some kind of potato side dish, I have this irrational compunction to also make DH some kind of "H approved" dish, which is extra effort.

I don't comprehend.   Potatoes are my go to!  what about fries?  
    Not even chips.  The UK OR American kind.
    That is so not normal! 
  • 6fsn said:

I had a cat who did that with carrots and sweet potatoes. He'd eat everything else and leave the orange veggies for his brother.

Whhaaaaaa? This is the weirdest thing I've ever heard!

DH would love it if I made potatoes every night for dinner. I make rice fairly often (because it's easy) and DH gives me the, "rice again?" look.
  • SP29 said:

Whhaaaaaa? This is the weirdest thing I've ever heard!

DH would love it if I made potatoes every night for dinner. I make rice fairly often (because it's easy) and DH gives me the, "rice again?" look.

Now that's where I'm the weirdo.  I really don't care for rice.  I can and I will eat it.  But, more often than not, I'll take a few bites and leave most of it on my plate.

I also get irritated at myself if I am at a Mexican food place and either don't notice or forget to tell the staff not to put rice in my burrito.  It definitely takes the burrito down a couple notches if there is rice in it. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Today's vent:

H updates me excessively on his progress home. Last night I got three texts on his way home.

1. To let me know he left work (I appreciate that one, because depending on when his relief shows up and when his last run was, that varies)
    2. To let me know he was in town
    3. To let me know he left the place he was picking up dinner

Dude, I live here. I'm not going anywhere.

My irritation is probably compounded by the fact I've asked him approximately 12,000 times to stop texting when he drives.
  • drglitter said:
    Today's vent:

H updates me excessively on his progress home. Last night I got three texts on his way home.

1. To let me know he left work (I appreciate that one, because depending on when his relief shows up and when his last run was, that varies)

My irritation is probably compounded by the fact I've asked him approximately 12,000 times to stop texting when he drives.
    I have a reverse vent where I'll text DH to let him know I'm leaving X place, and he will choose that moment of the day to decide it's time to blow up my phone with texts.  And then he gets huffy when I tell him I won't text and drive.  Dude, you KNOW I am driving, and you KNOW I drive manual...

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• MY H rarely texts and it drives me bananas. He has his phone with him, it's in his pocket and he never looks at it. So if I text him, hey can you get milk on the way home he never sees it. But when he texts me he expects a rapid response. 
  • drglitter said:
    Today's vent:

I have a reverse vent where I'll text DH to let him know I'm leaving X place, and he will choose that moment of the day to decide it's time to blow up my phone with texts.  And then he gets huffy when I tell him I won't text and drive.  Dude, you KNOW I am driving, and you KNOW I drive manual...
    When we'd been dating a few months I drove to a different state by myself (well, with the dog) to visit my sister. He kept texting me and when I finally answered he was all like "Why didn't you answer?!" Um..because I don't text while I drive. "Well didn't you see I texted you?" Um..no, because I don't look at my phone while I drive.
  • New vent:  Our Christmas gift from BIL is a gift cert. to a local place.   It was supposed to arrive via email on Christmas Day to DH's email.   DH never had an email alert and the gift certificate was never emailed on Christmas Day or the Day after.   We told BIL after he said, "If it's still not there let me know and I'll call."

DH emailed BIL TWO DAYS AGO and BIL hasn't responded.   No call, no email, NOTHING.

Dude, this is YOUR GIFT to US.   It shouldn't be work for us to get it.   

BIL has had exhibited more selfish behavior recently and this is just a part of it.  I'm not blaming him for the email glitch, but if I found out that our gifts were damaged and not received by them, I would be on the phone to the appropriate places to fix the problem.  

But when BIL wants an answer on something, he's not afraid of calling DH with lines like, "Could you call me back soon?   I'm trying to make a decision today."

• Update: the gift certificate arrived in the mail!   I'm not impressed by my BIL's response but at least we have it.
  • I'm venting about all of dh's shit. Again. He says he's saving things unless he doesn't et uniforms when they're bought out. The buy out is at least two years out and his clothes are from at least 6 years ago!  In the mean time he also doesn't clear out the hangers the uniforms come on. Just this month. 
  • They updated a piece of software that was supposed to make everything better, but, of course, didn't. It's been messing up a bunch of invoices that I have to go back and fix pieces of. Well in the process of fixing these pieces, it just makes it worse. I am in a complete snarl with it so I asked the executive administrative assistant for help. Big mistake...she's no help. She's one of those people who thinks since she knows it, you should know and if you don't know it, you're stupid. So I still have a snarl and I get to spend the rest of the day trying to fix it. 
  • drglitter said:
    drglitter said:
    Today's vent:

When we'd been dating a few months I drove to a different state by myself (well, with the dog) to visit my sister. He kept texting me and when I finally answered he was all like "Why didn't you answer?!" Um..because I don't text while I drive. "Well didn't you see I texted you?" Um..no, because I don't look at my phone while I drive.

Argh!  The rampant statistics aren't made up.  Thousands of people die every year from texting while driving.  It is now the leading cause of death for teenagers.  Everybody knows how dangerous it is, yet you see it all the time.

And not just driving.  After decades of pedestrian deaths going down, they started rising again in 2009 (according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) due to "distracted walking".  "Distracted walking" includes things other than texting, but texting or being on the phone is a big factor.  In 2011, 4,432 people were killed and 69,000 were injured in "distracted walking" incidents.

I know I've seen it.  Fortunately never an accident, but I've had to swerve or slam on my brakes many times because a pedestrian...on their phone...suddenly just blithely walks right in front of my car.  Just strolling right out onto a major street without even looking.  Even 5-year-olds know better than that.

This is a hot button issue for me, but I'll step off my soapbox now, lol.

I have a very good friend whose husband died in a car accident while waiting on a busy road to turn left into their driveway. The person behind him was on the phone, rear-ended him and pushed him in to on-coming traffic. In front of their house. She and their kids were home, and heard it happen. Their twins were 2. It destroyed her, as it would any one.

He knows this, which is probably why he does it a lot less now than before he knew me - and not at all while I'm in the car. But still.

Ever. At all. Once. That's all it takes.

I think you and I share a soapbox.
  • What ever happened to Amazon's Prime membership free 2-day shipping promise?

Excuse me but, isn't that what I'm paying an annual membership fee for?

I can't remember the last time I ordered a Prime item and it came in only 2 days.  Though it's usually only 3-4 days.

But today takes the cake.  So, good news first, an item I've been waiting months for finally came back for sale (Have'a Chips).  When I got the notification e-mail, I zipped over like a rocket to place my order.

It is a Prime item.  Scheduled to arrive sometime between Jan. 5th-Jan. 9th.  So, the soonest it will come is an entire WEEK from now.  But it could be a week and a half.  What the serious f**k?

The last Prime item I ordered was the week before Christmas.  I  was told it would arrive Dec. 24th.  They didn't even ship it until yesterday!

I'm going to e-mail a complaint to customer service and see what happens.  At this point, I'm thinking about asking to have my Prime Membership cancelled and my pro-rated fee refunded back to me.  I mean, I've paid X for Y service and am not getting a SUBSTANTIAL part of Y service.

About a month ago, I noticed that instead of "Free Two-Day Shipping" the shipping speed was "Two Business Days."  I had never seen that before, and I have seen it more times since than I consider to be acceptable.

Last Wednesday, I was trying to get a couple books for DH so he had something to unwrap besides his Yeti, and all 6 books I tried to order were "Prime eligible, shipped and sold by Amazon."  Not a one would have arrived before Jan 3.  Not even if I paid $15.99 for "One Day Shipping" (they would have arrived by Dec. 30!!!).  All items were in stock, and none said, "Only 2 left in stock," or whatever.

So I googled the issue, and apparently a lot of people have been complaining about this for some time.  From what I understand, the Prime Two-Day shipping is not "Two-Day Delivery," as in, you order Weds, it's there's by Friday.  It's order Weds and it SHIPS by Friday.  And then it's just a guess as to when it will arrive.

ANYWAY.  It's been pissing me off, too.  I feel ya.  I have literally one day before my subscription renews (THANKS FOR REMINDING ME!!! :) ) to decide if it's worth it, and I am seriously considering canceling my membership, too. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman