Wedding Woes

Re: Week 6, y'all.

• From the article: "He’s doing something first, and there’s time for talk later...This is ultimately how he’s going to get people who didn’t vote, or people who didn’t vote for him, into the fold. "  How exactly is this supposed to bring me 'into the fold'?  Because this just feels like a way for someone to do whatever they want regardless of consequences. 

Regarding the cuts to the EPA...I can't even begin to talk about how upsetting this all is.  Back in October, I spent weeks preparing a pair of Grant Applications for a small Municipal water system that is stretched beyond their means due to an aging system and poor decisions made under a previous administration.  The Grant money is being sought to improve the quality of drinking water for the area, and the funding is through an EPA program.  The water there comes out brown due to old piping, and half of their current supply is wasted because it is "not-safe" and the replacement of key equipment.  I don't know what things will or will not be changed if the EPA loses funding, but I doubt they will have the millions to continue funding such programs.

And regarding the regulations on the whole, I work in an industry that has spent the past 20 years putting an emphasis on implementing green technologies and assisting clients to exceed (or at a minimum become compliant with) current environmental regulations.  If the regulations are laxed it could mean a decreased number of clients, or a decrease in that drive to improve and lead the charge with new technologies.  I am not at a state of worry or panic, but it does creep into my mind that these things will affect everyone eventually.

• From the article: "He’s doing something first, and there’s time for talk later...This is ultimately how he’s going to get people who didn’t vote, or people who didn’t vote for him, into the fold. "  How exactly is this supposed to bring me 'into the fold'?  Because this just feels like a way for someone to do whatever they want regardless of consequences. 

Regarding the cuts to the EPA...I can't even begin to talk about how upsetting this all is.  Back in October, I spent weeks preparing a pair of Grant Applications for a small Municipal water system that is stretched beyond their means due to an aging system and poor decisions made under a previous administration.  The Grant money is being sought to improve the quality of drinking water for the area, and the funding is through an EPA program.  The water there comes out brown due to old piping, and half of their current supply is wasted because it is "not-safe" and the replacement of key equipment.  I don't know what things will or will not be changed if the EPA loses funding, but I doubt they will have the millions to continue funding such programs.

And regarding the regulations on the whole, I work in an industry that has spent the past 20 years putting an emphasis on implementing green technologies and assisting clients to exceed (or at a minimum become compliant with) current environmental regulations.  If the regulations are laxed it could mean a decreased number of clients, or a decrease in that drive to improve and lead the charge with new technologies.  I am not at a state of worry or panic, but it does creep into my mind that these things will affect everyone eventually.

I'm with you.  I work for a great company, but we only recycle because we have to and there isn't a single person who works here who doesn't believe batteries and tires need to be recycled.  

I know the EPA was part of the government that failed Flint but it enrages me that we literally poisoned an entire city for over a year and have learned absolutely nothing.
  • *are still poisoning. It will take up to 3 years to replace all the pipes that were damaged due to the high lead levels- and they haven't received enough state funding to actually complete this project- at least last time I read. heartbreaking. 
  • justsie said:
    *are still poisoning. It will take up to 3 years to replace all the pipes that were damaged due to the high lead levels- and they haven't received enough state funding to actually complete this project- at least last time I read. heartbreaking. 
    And some of the money is coming from EPA grants - which have been frozen.

Technically the water at the plant is under the required lead level.  It's a .12 parts and needs to be below .15.  The problem is so many people have lead poisoning now that .12 is still unsafe for them since there is already a lead presence in their blood.  It makes me sick.

And our Governor counter sued arguing the State shouldn't be required to provide water delivery.  And thanks to our jacked up legislator, he can't be sued for any of this either.
  • I know there's a lot I can't wrap my head around but this one takes the cake for most basic fallacy ever:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/27/politics/donald-trump-barack-obama-leaks/

1.  The leaks are coming from higher level employees, so in order for this to be true it means Trump has chosen to retain Obama's staff in many positions.

2.  Trump has yet to fill thousands of WW jobs so finding the left over Obama employees shouldn't be that difficult.  

3.  Trump runs the West Wing, which means he could easily fire any Obama transplant working for him.

But yes, it's so feasible that this is Obama's doing.
  • levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    A few days ago I told SO that I was more worried about Obama being assasinated now than I was during his presidency. Shit like this is why. Trump is continuing to vilify him, and I can see some rabid supporter trying to "fix" the leaks and "fake protests." 

Also @kimmiinthemitten didn't we hear that trump had fired almost all of the old administration aids almost immediately? This story doesn't make sense at all (obviously). 

etf: Obama is not pregnant. That would be the miracle child we all hoped for. Lol

• levioosa said:
    A few days ago I told SO that I was more worried about Obama being assasinated now than I was during his presidency. Shit like this is why. Trump is continuing to vilify him, and I can see some rabid supporter trying to "fix" the leaks and "fake protests." 

Also @kimmiinthemitten didn't we hear that trump had fired almost all of the old administration aids almost immediately? This story doesn't make sense at all (obviously). 

etf: Obama is not pregnant. That would be the miracle child we all hoped for. Lol
    Exactly!  The only way his own conspiracy theory works is if he has retained staff.  Which he says he hasn't, and the overwhelming number of open positions seems to verify.

He's also now blaming Obama for the Yemen raid that was botched.  That they called a success just yesterday, because soldiers know that their lives are at risk so losing one doesn't count.
  • He's really getting the mileage out of the whole "blame Obama" thing. 

• Anyone else slightly nervous about what Trump is going to say tonight?
  • levioosa said:

ETA: Here you go! I can't believe I made it all the way to Tuesday without using either of these!

I don't even have words to describe my anger/horror/disgust how I feel about Betsy Devos' whitewashing comments and Trump's seriously fucked up views on anti-Semitism. 
    I don't know, those gifs sum it up nicely!
  • VarunaTT said:
    I'm not a violent person; having said that the quote about HBCUs made me want to slap her.  How does someone make it this far in life w/out a modicrum of sense? Sure, technically, it was about school choice....the choice was going to school or not, but WTF ever, amirite?

this was my exact thought
  • I have so many thoughts about that speech. And a lot of eye twitches. All of the eye twitches. 

• Heffalump said:
    Welp, looks like Jeff Sessions is in for a bumpy ride:

Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer calls on Attorney General Jeff Sessions to resign

Top Republicans call on Sessions to recuse himself from Russia investigation

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.  We'll see how this plays out.  My spidey sense suggests the anti-Sessions forces are approaching critical mass, but with this unpredictable administration, who knows?

ETA:

Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) also weighed in with a tweet: “I’m thinking Jeff Sessions is not the right person to investigate Jeff Sessions.”
    :D
    Oh, the cynical part of me doesn't think anything will come of this. I feel like we're in the Upside Down, as Stranger Things would say. 

But...fuck Jeff Sessions. He's so awful. 

• mrsconn23 said:
    I'm dying laughing over "tallest Keebler elf."

• mrsconn23 said:

I know.  Also, he was dragging a fucking PRINTER around the Capitol. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

I know.  Also, he was dragging a fucking PRINTER around the Capitol. 
    This would be the funniest political movie ever if it wasn't all real. 

• I am shocked. Sessions recused himself.  

• @kimmiinthemitten good point. 

Did you guys see that bill in Texas that would make it legal for ob doctors to lie to their patients about fetal results?