Wedding Woes

Thursday

Re: Thursday

• @short+sassy  I just don't answer the door.
    Accurate gif of me answering the door - except slower lmao

kittens GIF

Aaahhhh...I just love this gif!  Such a cutie.

I don't answer the door either.  But I've been accosted a couple times when I'm just coming home  or going out and walking to/from my car.  My p/t job also used to take me into the French Quarter.  There are a few religious nuts in that area who stand on the same corners trying to talk to everyone that walks by about Jesus.

I'm sure NOLA is the modern day version of Sodom and Gomorrah to them (eye roll).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @levioosa So happy to hear that about your Dad!!  Such a relief.  

@short+sassy Hitting up a kid is bullshit, IMHO.  Fine if your goal is to preach your religion, but to a kid who doesn't know how to react to that, and probably hasn't given religion a lot of serious thought yet just seems dirty.  Save it for adults who have the ability to think critically for themselves.

We've put up a No Solicitation sign on the door.  DH answered once after it went up and had a hell of a time getting rid of them.  I kept yelling down that we have the sign but the door person didn't get the hint.  My standard line is "We gave at the office" 

@MissKittyDanger What a cute gif!!

• @WinstonsGirl legally speaking, a no solicitation sign or policy only applies to door to door sales; advocacy solicitation is not covered, and they likely know that.  When I would go door to door in my political days I would tell people "I'm not here to sell you anything, I just want to encourage you to vote."
  • I'm seriously considering ordering or making a sign like this: 

• @WinstonsGirl legally speaking, a no solicitation sign or policy only applies to door to door sales; advocacy solicitation is not covered, and they likely know that.  When I would go door to door in my political days I would tell people "I'm not here to sell you anything, I just want to encourage you to vote."
    Good to know.  I know it doesn't really mean anything, but I also have little to no respect for people who don't take that under advisement.  I expect census people, elections people, etc. to still knock.  The person DH was talking to was trying to sell something.  Out sign also says that School Groups/Girl Guide Cookies are Welcome.  :D  I'm not passing up cookies

• I'm seriously considering ordering or making a sign like this: 

Thin mint life.
  • @short+sassy  @WinstonsGirl  not gonna lie, I hunted for that specific gif because that is me 100%! Every time it comes across fb, I get tagged in it. People laugh but I actually do this. People have seen me do this. It's harder now because we have a window by the front door, but I basically scoot along the side of the wall so I'm barely seen.
  • @short+sassy  @WinstonsGirl  not gonna lie, I hunted for that specific gif because that is me 100%! Every time it comes across fb, I get tagged in it. People laugh but I actually do this. People have seen me do this. It's harder now because we have a window by the front door, but I basically scoot along the side of the wall so I'm barely seen.
    You can see the front door when sitting at our island if you lean back, but you can't see the chairs if you're not leaning.  But overtime I'm eating at the island and the doorbell rings, I hug the island and freeze to make sure they don't see me, cos I'm not going to answer the door

• We have a glass front door. It's frosted but you can still see through it if you approach the door. I hate it. I want to be able to creep and see who is at my door without you seeing me. 

@short+sassy I was going to try amazon next. I'm bummed though because the one VS did have was perfect. I'm also tired of off the shoulder stuff. Normal sun dresses only, please. 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The school supply place is so busy the employees can't make outbound calls!  It's a subsidiary of Staples.
  • levioosa said:
    I do have to say, there was one time when I was an infant, and sick, and my mom was also sick, when JW came to our door. When my mom answered and they saw how sick she was, they went and bought us groceries, and then helped clean the house. They came back the next day with a casserole too. They didn't even witness. My mom has never forgotten their kindness. We were also struggling at the time, and having food brought over was so appreciated. Now a days I probably wouldn't let anyone into the house, but that was really nice of them. We used to see them around the neighborhood for years and we'd always say hi. They never pressured us though, which was weird for a JW but honestly probably the best approach. We were set with our church, but if we had been an open household that would have been much more impactful than the forceful lecturing you hear about and see all the time. 

Thanks for sharing such a heartwarming story!  The JW's get a lot of flack, from me included, so it's nice to hear a positive story.  And you're so right.  An "above and beyond" kind act like that is a far better advertisement and example of their religion than a 1,000 door knocks.

My Grinch heart for JW's just grew a size bigger.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    I do have to say, there was one time when I was an infant, and sick, and my mom was also sick, when JW came to our door. When my mom answered and they saw how sick she was, they went and bought us groceries, and then helped clean the house. They came back the next day with a casserole too. They didn't even witness. My mom has never forgotten their kindness. We were also struggling at the time, and having food brought over was so appreciated. Now a days I probably wouldn't let anyone into the house, but that was really nice of them. We used to see them around the neighborhood for years and we'd always say hi. They never pressured us though, which was weird for a JW but honestly probably the best approach. We were set with our church, but if we had been an open household that would have been much more impactful than the forceful lecturing you hear about and see all the time. 
    That's very sweet of them :)
  • @levioosa , that's such an awesome witness!  That's an example of what it should be like.

The only real JW experience I've had was actually last spring.  I was mailing a shirt to someone & was able to fit it in a large manilla envelope.  The adhesive must not have been as strong as possible because when it arrived at my friend's house, a JW had inserted a book in the envelope (the shirt was still intact).  The funniest part was that the book had the sender's name & address, so she reported it to the USPS since it was tampering with mail.  

I grew up within a few miles of the Mormon temple in Houston.  There is a heavy Mormon presence in that area, so we knew quite a few missionaries.  One of my Mormon coworkers & I used to have fascinating religion dialogue.  No attempts to convert - just share.
  • Since everyone is telling their JW stories, when I was younger (maybe middle school) they knocked on the door and I answered. My parents were in the backyard or something and I ended up letting them into the house (probably wasn't sure what to say) and they kept talking to me for a while until my dad came in and rescued me and ushered them out. From then on I never answered the door. 
  • My only experiences with JW are a nice older lady who used to come into the Chinese restaurant I worked at just out of high school, who never ordered anything but tea and would work on the maps for the peeps to follow when they went  door to door and a lady who came for a couple weeks in a row. One day she came with a friend and I invited them both in (I think I was 21 and possibly high). I remember comparing their religion to Buddhism (which I was into at the time) and they never came back. I was actually kind of disappointed.
  • I used to work with a JW at my old job. She was The Mayor of Halloween Town when it came to anything related to her faith. For example, super super nice in normal conversation but if you brought up a birthday party or talked about decorating for Christmas, she would literally just walk away. LOL! So odd. But pretty great if you needed to end a conversation for some reason.
    *********************************************************************************

• My only experiences with JW are a nice older lady who used to come into the Chinese restaurant I worked at just out of high school, who never ordered anything but tea and would work on the maps for the peeps to follow when they went  door to door and a lady who came for a couple weeks in a row. One day she came with a friend and I invited them both in (I think I was 21 and possibly high). I remember comparing their religion to Buddhism (which I was into at the time) and they never came back. I was actually kind of disappointed.

This really tickled my funny bone because it begs the question...do you vaguely remember that you were high during this interaction?  Or was that just good odds for that time in your life?  Perhaps both ;).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I used to work with a JW at my old job. She was The Mayor of Halloween Town when it came to anything related to her faith. For example, super super nice in normal conversation but if you brought up a birthday party or talked about decorating for Christmas, she would literally just walk away. LOL! So odd. But pretty great if you needed to end a conversation for some reason.

I was working near former JW co-worker's desk.  She blurted out one day "Oh, today is my birthday." And I just looked up and said "Congrats on another year older" and went back to working.  I didn't know what else to say since they don't celebrate.

• JW story, my sister's FIL was in the middle of converting to JW (from being Catholic) when her MIL died.  He still converted and the year she died, he stopped celebrating holidays and all family traditions.  BIL was in the Army already, but his younger siblings were at home.  It was...not good.  He's since been kicked out, but he still practices the tenets of the faith.  But he'll come around for holidays.  So if he's at Christmas and we are opening gifts, he leaves, walks around the block, and has a cigarette.  No one buys him presents.  It's really weird. 

@levioosa, your story makes me think of my aunt, who gave birth to quadruplets (yes, drugs were involved) and it was a shitshow in her life for a long time (not just because of the babies, but she's also a little (a lot?) crazy).  She moved in her new house with toddlers and she was mad at the whole family (for serious, she stopped talking to my mom for years because she unpacked her kitchen).  The Mormons showed up. And she converted (from being Catholic as well).  They are still going strong and the last time I had an actual conversation with her (about 2-3 years), she was all about what she was being 'called' to do by the church (mostly volunteering).

Her kids have all turned out pretty well.  Good kids with good careers.  I spent some time with one of her sons at my grandparent's house earlier this summer, and he's a super sweet kid and a great dad.  Naive as hell, but I enjoyed my time with his little family. 

This really tickled my funny bone because it begs the question...do you vaguely remember that you were high during this interaction?  Or was that just good odds for that time in your life?  Perhaps both ;).

Just probably for that time in my life and by the fact I was cool talking to them. My friend told me he could always tell when I was high because I was "So nice".
  • levioosa said:

Im looking for a high necked bralette to wear with a dress I just bought, and suddenly they are no where to be found. They were seriously everywhere like two weeks ago. I only need it so the dress isn't so bam, cleavage, but that might just be how it has to be. I found one I liked at VS, but they were sold out except for a size M online, and my boobs laughed at the thought of a medium fitting. 

Aerie is having BOGO on all bras and bralettes.  I saw a couple high neck options. 

don't forget your towel!
  • I dated a JW when I was running a voter registration and GOTV campaign; odd both because they aren't supposed to date outside of their religion (he was going through a divorce and temporarily removed from the church) and because they don't vote, participate in government.  

It's an interesting religion, with many good ideologies - like while the door to door witnessing is annoying to many homeowners, isn't that the idea behind religion, to witness and share your faith?  However, it has many aspects that bothered me, like the fact that divorcing  a woman who cheated on you means you are punished and banned from the church for a set amount of time.  I also disliked that if you chose to leave the religion you were banned similar to the way the Church of Scientology does.  He had a friend who left the Hall, and came out of the closet and he had to secretly remain friends with him.
  • I dated a JW when I was running a voter registration and GOTV campaign; odd both because they aren't supposed to date outside of their religion (he was going through a divorce and temporarily removed from the church) and because they don't vote, participate in government.  

It's an interesting religion, with many good ideologies - like while the door to door witnessing is annoying to many homeowners, isn't that the idea behind religion, to witness and share your faith?  However, it has many aspects that bothered me, like the fact that divorcing  a woman who cheated on you means you are punished and banned from the church for a set amount of time.  I also disliked that if you chose to leave the religion you were banned similar to the way the Church of Scientology does.  He had a friend who left the Hall, and came out of the closet and he had to secretly remain friends with him.

I really don't care that's a part of their faith, when it impinges on my time.  That's their faith.  Not mine.  And they have no right to be an annoyance in my day.  I mean, I'm still polite.  Other than using my slightly snarky "bless your heart" tone.

To me, there are appropriate places for witnessing and sharing faith.  For example, if I happen to be having a religious discussion with somebody.  Or just generally talking about community activities my church is doing.  And, of course, if somebody asks me questions.

I also consider all of that as more sharing information than trying to convert someone.  If they like what they hear and are more interested, I'll invite them to attend a service with me.  Which at this point in my life would be funny because I rarely go to church.  Still, I'd be happy to attend a service with someone who would like to know more about Lutheranism or Christianity in general.  But people are grown adults and can make their own important choices.  I'm not God's "hard sell" salesperson with a variety of closing techniques, lol.

Moving to NOLA, which is uber-Catholic, I've actually run into a lot more Catholics that are curious about what the differences are between Protestantism and Catholicism.  Always happy to educate and have a respectful discussion on that also.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy oh I'm not defending their door to door activism, count me in with @MissKittyDanger's gif when they're at my door!  I just appreciate the spirit in which it's intended.  
  • @short+sassy oh I'm not defending their door to door activism, count me in with @MissKittyDanger's gif when they're at my door!  I just appreciate the spirit in which it's intended.  
    I didn't think you were :), but had to throw out my "that's not an excuse" attitude.  Because I'd guess any faith that does that type of thing feel they are entitled to it, due to their religious teachings. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @kimmiinthemitten  right!? It's the perfect "someone is at my door" gif to portray curiosity and fear of social interaction :')