Wedding Woes

Laser Hair Removal

13»

Re: Laser Hair Removal

• PLEASE.   You came on here talking about the few times you did laser and then gave a history lesson in hair removal, and the overall tone of it was that if you keep doing it you're a sucker for "the man", not thinking about your impact on society and how it's not fair to women that as a culture hair is removed in the first place.  

Then you had the audacity to condescend to those who defended either practice saying, "and there's that textbook defensiveness I'm talking about."    You're not having a discussion.   You're PREACHING.  

I think this could have been a meaningful discussion but people aren't going to take kindly to being told, "This thing that you're doing is terrible and let me tell you how it's terrible that you're doing it."  

A lot of what you're posting seems to be coming from a point of view as someone who has been hurt by the preconceived norms and ways of grooming and behavior and straying from that alleged norm has brought on unwarranted harassment.   That's never acceptable nor is it fair.    But what did you hope to accomplish here?  
  • edited November 2017
    banana468 said:
    PLEASE.   You came on here talking about the few times you did laser and then gave a history lesson in hair removal, and the overall tone of it was that if you keep doing it you're a sucker for "the man", not thinking about your impact on society and how it's not fair to women that as a culture hair is removed in the first place.  

Then you had the audacity to condescend to those who defended either practice saying, "and there's that textbook defensiveness I'm talking about."    You're not having a discussion.   You're PREACHING.  

I think this could have been a meaningful discussion but people aren't going to take kindly to being told, "This thing that you're doing is terrible and let me tell you how it's terrible that you're doing it."  

A lot of what you're posting seems to be coming from a point of view as someone who has been hurt by the preconceived norms and ways of grooming and behavior and straying from that alleged norm has brought on unwarranted harassment.   That's never acceptable nor is it fair.    But what did you hope to accomplish here?  
    Do you also plan to lecture the women here who called me a jackass and a Nazi and told me directly to shut up? Or do you consider that acceptable?

I added on information about the history of hair removal because it is something that I wish someone had told me when I was struggling with growing a lot of facial hair as a teenager and desperately spending my savings on laser, hoping it would save me from being an ugly freak. I wish that someone had told me that men had decided that women couldn't be hairy very recently and that I should think about if I wanted to play into that. I would have saved a lot of money that I didn't have.

It isn't fair to women that as a culture hair is removed in the first place. That was literally my point.
  • banana468 said:
    PLEASE.   You came on here talking about the few times you did laser and then gave a history lesson in hair removal, and the overall tone of it was that if you keep doing it you're a sucker for "the man", not thinking about your impact on society and how it's not fair to women that as a culture hair is removed in the first place.  

Do you also plan to lecture the women here who called me a jackass and a Nazi and told me directly to shut up? Or do you consider that acceptable?

I loathe the use of  of the word Nazi as a slang.   That stands out as an unacceptable term in and of itself and I'm not going to find it OK to use.

Name calling isn't OK in general.  It's moving the conversation into a downward spiral that has become all to common in our society since before election day in 2016.     

I've opted not to call out those who resorted to name calling because I'm neither the moderator nor the parent of those on this board.    I am engaging in the conversation that began days ago hoping to be civil.  

• banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I loathe the use of  of the word Nazi as a slang.   That stands out as an unacceptable term in and of itself and I'm not going to find it OK to use.

Name calling isn't OK in general.  It's moving the conversation into a downward spiral that has become all to common in our society since before election day in 2016.     

I've opted not to call out those who resorted to name calling because I'm neither the moderator nor the parent of those on this board.    I am engaging in the conversation that began days ago hoping to be civil.  

you're also not my parent and somehow you still think it's okay to lecture me on my tone. Must be worse than calling people Nazis to you, I guess.
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

you're also not my parent and somehow you still think it's okay to lecture me on my tone. Must be worse than calling people Nazis to you, I guess.
    Yup.  You got me.   That's exactly what I think.  

• banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Yup.  You got me.   That's exactly what I think.  

All I have to go on is people's behaviour.   So far, pretty much everyone has taken far more offense to a bit of snark in a discussion about women's social issues than they have to me being called a Nazi, in a time where literal, actual Nazis are organizing all over the world.

Also, I have no idea where you got "This thing that you're doing is terrible and let me tell you how it's terrible that you're doing it" from my posts. "There is a lot of social pressure to do this thing and that social pressure is often harmful" /= "it is terrible that you personally are doing this thing".

I never said that shaving is terrible. All I did, in every post, was draw attention to the fact that enormous amounts of pressure is placed on us as women from early childhood, to shave, and that growing up under that pressure has a harmful effect on us. I never said that shaving was terrible, In fact, I specifically acknowledged that lots of women might choose to shave even if that social pressure was removed. I certainly never told anyone that it was terrible that they shave. I know lots of women who hate shaving and acknowledge that they wouldn't choose to shave if they had a choice, but continue to do so to avoid the social and economic consequences of not shaving. Having repeatedly experienced those consequences, I can't judge them for that.

I want to live in a world where women are not pressured to modify their bodies in any way to appeal to men. The only way I know how to get to that is to a) continue to live unapologetically as a visibly hairy woman so that little girls can see that that is possible for them too; and b) continue to talk frankly about women's social issues.

I think there was some confusion about the term "male-defined" in my first few posts, so I endeavored to explain what I meant by that, and all of a sudden, people were freaking out like I'd threatened to personally remove their razors from their bathrooms.

Shaving, completely without context, isn't terrible. Grooming women from birth to spend thousands of dollars and countless hours over their lifetime removing a natural and normal part of their body is.

• All name calling aside, why is someone - who likely doesn't visit this board - coming here, not introducing themself and throwing their opinion around when someone asked a simple friggen question?
    If you go back to my first post, you'll see that I detailed my history with laser hair removal, answered the question about whether it worked for me or not, and gave some context into why I stopped doing it. Other people replied to my post and turned it into a conversation. That's how forums work. I've no more "thrown my opinion around" than has anyone else on this post, but apparently I'm the only one you have a problem with. Sexual harassment? Cool by you. Called women Nazis for having opinions? Cool by you.

I am recently engaged and you'll see if you look on other sections of the forums, that I've posted a few times. I wasn't aware that I was required to formally introduce myself to participate.
    Irrelevant if you responded at this point tbh.
    If you read other posts, then you would know that many of the boards have people who are constantly there.

Would you randomly walk into a group of people you don't know and just jump into conversation without saying "hi" ? It's not a requirement, but it'd be just ... idk polite?
  • This thread has been closed to new posts due to the change in topic. Continuing to create threads related to this topic will be grounds for warning and/or removal from The Knot Community.

Please note that we remove posts that do not follow our guidelines and will issue warnings to users who violate the Terms of Service.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards