Chit Chat
Options

So who is in the blizzard zone?

Re: So who is in the blizzard zone?

• Options
    We're on the line on the map between "18-24+" and "2'+". So yea, we're getting hammered. The snowstorm in '09 on the day after Christmas, we were predicted at 6-8", then upgraded to 9-18"... before our final total of 31" came in. We have plenty of water, batteries, and food, so we'll see what happens!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    One of my favorite school memories of elementary school was being an older kid and able to spend half the school day outside digging oaths to clear the windows. A hundred years they built high brick schools. We got to go to replacement schools built in 60's and 70's, stupid low ceiling close to the ground like California ranch houses. Took a decade before word got out that the bottom of the roof edges was closer to the ground than the number of inches of snow we get here annually. One of those bad news good news things. The bad news is they were built before the first oil crisis, with virtually no insulation. The good news was that once the snow was higher than the roof with paths only to doors from high snowblowers, the snow kept the wind out so by January we were not cold anymore. Ain't New Hampshire Grand.
    So I take it you're up by the notches?
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    It looks like we'll be missing out on the big stuff. We might get a a few inches, just a bit north though is looking a bit more significant. No blizzard for us.

Which I'm fine with. I don't really want to deal with that much snow.

Anniversary
  • Options
    beethery said:

One of my favorite school memories of elementary school was being an older kid and able to spend half the school day ...cut.

So I take it you're up by the notches?

Yes, north of Franconia Notch, Oh little town.....
  • Options
    I love snowpacolypses! I hope everyone's snow doom isn't too scary, and you have all of the wine and cheese stocked up.  I love snow days, as long as you get to be inside with hot cocoa and alcohol, and you are safe.  Driving in it... not so much.
       I do hate the drama on the media about these storms.  When the media makes a big deal about EVERYTHING, it's difficult for the community to know which storms are worth hunkering down. I wish news events like these could have their sponsors pulled, so then they would only report as necessary.  A lot of people died in our snowvember storm, because they just thought it was typical media trying to get ratings. So many times, though, these storms are nothing.  We, as the community get sick of making preparations for media overhype, when the storm is barely noticeable, yet they broadcast it like it's the rapture.
  • Options
    I'm NYC too and I'm hoping for a lot of snow. Of course I can get to work pretty much no matter what, and my office never tells anyone in the city to stay home. H was already told to work from home. Bastard.
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    We're supposed to get some -- I think 3-6" through tomorrow afternoon? It's been snowing periodically this evening but nothing all that exciting. 
    I'm also in the burgh. And annoyed. I definitely planned on a delay or snow day today, and the roads are fine :(
  • Options
    People sue for anything these days.

I think with all this over hype and crying wolf by the weather people, those of us who suffer acute emotional distress from having a SNOW DAY practically promised then snatched away ought to get something.
  • Options
    *Raises hand* Moncton, New Brunswick here.

"Very strong northeast winds gusting to 90 km/h with even higher gusts possible along the Fundy and Atlantic coasts will give extensive blowing and drifting snow and near-zero visiblities on Tuesday. General snowfall amounts of 15 to 30 cm are expected."

Eh, what're you gonna do?
  • Options
    I almost started this same thread lol. I'm in the midwest. We got like 5 inches of snow overnight, so no big deal. I just wanted to wish all you East Coasters good luck! I hope you have comfy pajamas, good food, delicious wine, and fun movies to watch! Stay safe and warm :) 
  • Options
    Uggh, I'm in the process of preparing for up to two feet of snow.  Just praying I don't loose power, and trying to cancel all my work appointments for tomorrow, since I work for the State and we will most likely shut down. 

• Options

No blizzard here. We might get a couple of inches but that's it. We've had relatively little snow around here, which is amazing considering how much lake effect we usually get. It's just been freezing cold every day.

• Options

The last time we got a blizzard, I lost power. This time, I have flashlights and shelf stable food that can be prepared on stovetop. The worst is the cold. with no heat, it gets very cold, very fast. I am not looking forward to the next few days.

• Options
    The way the weather people here were predicting last night and acting this morning one would think that everyone in the Baltimore area was going to DIE!!!!  But the big storm is supposed to pretty much miss us.  We may get a few inches (that will lead to the shut down of the entire state) but nothing huge.

I did I have to laugh when schools were opening 2 hours late and at 7am when I left for work it was doing absolutely nothing.

If we don't get a decent storm this year I think our meteorologists heads will explode in frustration. How will they survive if they go one winter without standing out in the snow with their ruler and kicking at the light dusting on the sidewalk?

• Options

I'm very close to @huskypuppy14 and @beethery so I'm in the range of 2 feet. It's almost guarenteed that the state will call "state of emergengy" which means you can't be on the roads, which means businesses will have to close. I will be home anyways working on my laptop whether we close or not so I don't mind!

My FIL bought himself a new snowblower and gave us his old one. WOOOOO so I no longer have to be out there for 3 hours helping DH shovel!!!

My parents live in SC and sent a selfie of them in bathing suits on their boat yesterday. So DH and I were at Walmart, we took a selfie with a 10 foot high snow pile in the background (from the parking lot plows) and sent it back to them. Assholes lol

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

I'm very close to @huskypuppy14 and @beethery so I'm in the range of 2 feet. It's almost guarenteed that the state will call "state of emergengy" which means you can't be on the roads, which means businesses will have to close. I will be home anyways working on my laptop whether we close or not so I don't mind!

My FIL bought himself a new snowblower and gave us his old one. WOOOOO so I no longer have to be out there for 3 hours helping DH shovel!!!

My parents live in SC and sent a selfie of them in bathing suits on their boat yesterday. So DH and I were at Walmart, we took a selfie with a 10 foot high snow pile in the background (from the parking lot plows) and sent it back to them. Assholes lol

My parents live in Florida and when my Mom complains about the temp dipping below 70 I tell her to shut her mouth (in the most loving way possible).

• Options
    I am. I can't believe the hysterical nature of the news coverage. 

I am sure it'll be annoying and inconvenient if the subway stops running, but apart from that (and the usual possibility of power outages that is always present during any storm) I really can't see why I should be worried.

I'd be way more concerned with preparing myself if I lived in the country with a house and a driveway to shovel, though!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

I am sure it'll be annoying and inconvenient if the subway stops running, but apart from that (and the usual possibility of power outages that is always present during any storm) I really can't see why I should be worried.

I'd be way more concerned with preparing myself if I lived in the country with a house and a driveway to shovel, though!
    I'm going to spend most of the day re-digging my car out so that I can move it when it's time to plow tomorrow.

Boooooooooooo.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Y'all, if you for some weird reason don't actually WANT a billion feet of snow dumped right on top of your heads, send some this way. Just give me a warning so I can go get groceries and stuff and be home when it starts. My car's not equipped for the snow. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    beethery said:

I'm going to spend most of the day re-digging my car out so that I can move it when it's time to plow tomorrow.

Boooooooooooo.
    That sucks.

As a Wisconsin-raised girl, I find it hilarious the way the city likes to act like it's going to be SO much more affected than everyone else, when the reality is it's WAY worse to have to dig out cars and whatnot than it is to...walk through some snow? I mean, I can almost guarantee you that my local bodega will be open. Someone who lives 30 miles from the nearest store is not so fortunate. But OMG guys, this storm is unprecedented in NYC! Don't forget to freak out!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    beethery said:

Boooooooooooo.
    I will be doing the same thing otherwise I will be plowed in.
  • Options
    beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    beethery said:

Boooooooooooo.
    That sucks.

As a Wisconsin-raised girl, I find it hilarious the way the city likes to act like it's going to be SO much more affected than everyone else, when the reality is it's WAY worse to have to dig out cars and whatnot than it is to...walk through some snow? I mean, I can almost guarantee you that my local bodega will be open. Someone who lives 30 miles from the nearest store is not so fortunate. But OMG guys, this storm is unprecedented in NYC! Don't forget to freak out!
    Ugh I wish I could reasonably walk to a store if I wanted to.

I mean I could, but it'd take me all day and I can just drive there before the storm shows up. Which reminds me, I gotta make a list. I also have to go to tractor supply and fill my car up with these bitches:

So that we have some shit to get the fire going hot enough to burn the unseasoned-ass wood his parents spent our money on.

Oh, hahaha I forgot I also have to nag ass-face into dragging the generator out because he avoided it all year and now it's going to be a fucking NIGHTMARE to drag through the yard. Nope, we had to wait because we didn't need it. Thanks, FI!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    We've got a tiny bit of snow- enough to keep lawns white but streets clear - but I expect it to melt soon. It's been a very mild winter by Chicago standards.

I am a little worried about my travel later in the week. Our big airports are canceling flights before the weather changes so I worry a bit about not making my business trip- or getting stranded.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    beethery said:

I mean I could, but it'd take me all day and I can just drive there before the storm shows up. Which reminds me, I gotta make a list. I also have to go to tractor supply and fill my car up with these bitches:

So that we have some shit to get the fire going hot enough to burn the unseasoned-ass wood his parents spent our money on.
    Did they save a whole ten dollars a cord and get you a useless pile of smoking sap crackling won't stay lit fire wood ?
    ( Does one of them generate enough hot air to breathe on the wood pile dragon style and help you out? )
  • Options
    I'm in the blizzard zone. I'm bringing my laptop home and will probably work from home for the next couple of days, unless it's not as bad as they are making it out to be. We stocked up on some groceries for the week, just cuz I know I won't want to go out in the cold and snow if I don't have to. Maybe my office will close though, and I won't have to work at all :)
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    My new camera was suppose to be delivered tomorrow by UPS. What are the chances that they will actually deliver it?
  • Options
    UPS runs a couple of days behind here when nothing is wrong. So we would figure if it was promised for tomorrow, it was going to arrive Wed or Thurs anyways.
  • Options

Did they save a whole ten dollars a cord and get you a useless pile of smoking sap crackling won't stay lit fire wood ? ( Does one of them generate enough hot air to breathe on the wood pile dragon style and help you out? )
    They ordered 2 cords on our behalf. $500 without asking if we even wanted to buy it from that guy or when we wanted to buy it. We got it and it was probably cut in the spring, so it's technically 'seasoned' but doesn't always burn so great. They ordered it when we were busy as fuck, then the wind picked up BIG TIME one night a couple weeks ago and a lot ended up getting snowed/sleeted on.

Burns alright once the fire is going but you HAVE to use a smartlog or eco-brick with it to start or it won't take at all.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards