Chit Chat
Options

So who is in the blizzard zone?

Re: So who is in the blizzard zone?

• Options
    Woohoo! Work closing at 3 and all day tomorrow!

Now I need some eggs and diet coke.
  • Options
    We also have canned chili for nachos.   If we lose power I think DH will make them on the grill. 
  • Options

Stuck in box

They shut down our public transportation service tomorrow. That means if my power goes out again, I am stuck at home. I have leftover pizza, and a recipe to make nachos on the stove top. I just need to pick up wine and I will be all set.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    Many people get eggs, milk, bread before a storm. I got all healthy groceries yesterday. DH just texted me that "we're ready for the storm. I got plain chips with onion dip, tortilla chips with queso, and doritos". Gee thanks babe!!!!!!
    I could never figure out why everyone thinks the middle of a storm is the perfect time to make French toast.........

@cookiepusher Me neither!!! We don't eat any of those items so we never buy them on a normal week, nevermind a storm! I can see like banana said her daughter drinks milk so that makes sense but nope, not for us!

But I never understood the stock up mentality anyways. Roads are cleared within 24 hours, stores are open and basically everything back to normal within 24 hours. Some people may lose power for up to a week but stocking up isn't going to help- it's actually going to do you worse when you have to store all that milk out in the snow. When I was little and the fridge went out, we stuck a bunch of stuff in the snow, and the neighborhood cats ate all the cheese out of the wrappers hahahah.

• Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    Sending safe thoughts everyone's way and hoping for no property damage for all of you!

Meanwhile up here on the tundra we've been having days and days of temperatures above freezing - it's wintermission! We'll probably end up with three straight weeks of -40 in February to atone for it but I'm enjoying it now.

I saw four different guys walking down the street in tee shirts and shorts yesterday. In Alberta. Canada. In January.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah...I live in Arizona. It might rain tonight maybe. There were some clouds. 

Though right now it's fun to sit outside and play "Whose not from here". People from here are still in jeans, might have a hoodie with them. People from not here are wearing shorts and flip flops. And we have a lot of out of towners right now between the WM open, the Superbowl, and our general snow birds.
  • Options
    Bring on the blizzard! The owners sent us home today at 11 and we're closed tomorrow. It's been snowing since around 8am here.
  • Options
    Bring on the blizzard! The owners sent us home today at 11 and we're closed tomorrow. It's been snowing since around 8am here.
    Overcast cloud edge is starting to roll in. They just cancelled school in Manchester for tomorrow and wednesday.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    My office still hasn't said anything about people leaving early...

Doing really essential work here guys. The world will stop functioning if we all go home at 3pm. 

Also I still need to buy food for dinner tonight, I need to get in a line now before the stores close tonight. 
  • Options
    daria24 said:

Doing really essential work here guys. The world will stop functioning if we all go home at 3pm. 

Also I still need to buy food for dinner tonight, I need to get in a line now before the stores close tonight. 
    Not an issue today where I live, but when we do have really bad weather my work is the same way.  So when the news and the mayor and Governor are all telling us to stay off the damn roads my work is all "yeah we will be open so get here if you can."  Thus why I tend to take my work laptop home a lot in the winter so I can work from home and not have to either make up the hours or take a vacation day.

• Options
    daria24 said:

Not an issue today where I live, but when we do have really bad weather my work is the same way.  So when the news and the mayor and Governor are all telling us to stay off the damn roads my work is all "yeah we will be open so get here if you can."  Thus why I tend to take my work laptop home a lot in the winter so I can work from home and not have to either make up the hours or take a vacation day.
    My work is dependent on the government... and yet when they shut down the state at 1pm today, we were just getting notified that we could leave any time after 3pm. Because it's awesome so sit on your ass with nothing to do for 2 hours!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    It's started snowing here. We may get up to 8 inches but it looks like we only have an inch and a half or so as of right now.

My apartment complex tends to get a few stray cats so I left some food and water out in the hallway if they manage to sneak in (I think they somehow get in through the laundry room window). I keep forgetting to make a shelter for the stray kitties. The lady who just got hired to oversee the complex is young, in college and seems to have a superiority complex. I'm sure if she saw a little cat shelter, as small as they may be, she would whine about it. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    chibiyui said:
    It was......Kinda disappointing waking up this morning and still being able to see grass.  All the county schools (And H's super fancy private school he went too) closed around 7. I'm trying to not be all crotchety and be like "This isn't a snow day...." But H said it was icy this morning

It looks like we might get a total of 3-5 thru Tuesday. Not quite what was predicted, but weather happens.

As much as I love, love, love the snow, I totally despise ice outside of a frozen pond, skating rink, or alcoholic beverage. Right now we have a pervasive frozen layer of ice underneath the powdery stuff. It is killer.
    my driveway is pure ice under what fell yesterday and last night. im lucky i learned my lesson about pulling into my driveway hot when there is ice. (long story and i hate to talk about it)
  • Options
    Milk and eggs are necessary during a snow storm at my house (along with bisquick) because pancakes.
    You know if times really get tough you can just eat the Bisquick. ;)
    Lord knows it's a money-saver.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options

You should have heard some of the reactions I got for canceling deliveries tomorrow. We deliver cheesecakes, not freaking medical devices.
    Do you deliver out of state?   I'm wondering who is going to be daring enough to try to drive in this insanity tonight.

Based on the # of people at the gas stations, you'd think people are leaving the state.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    banana468 said:

daria24 said:

You should have heard some of the reactions I got for canceling deliveries tomorrow. We deliver cheesecakes, not freaking medical devices.

Do you deliver out of state?   I'm wondering who is going to be daring enough to try to drive in this insanity tonight.

Based on the # of people at the gas stations, you'd think people are leaving the state.

Yup. We deliver to NJ and CT, along with NYC and Long Island.
  • Options
    banana468 said:

i know my dad before snow storms would fill up all the vehicles and take gas cans to fill up for the generator and snow blower. so thats probably why they are filled.

on another note. today was the opening day of one of our dealers in MA. huge snow storm but there were still people there and...... they have a nail salon inside. 
    those of you east coasters be safe and warm.
  • Options
    mrsk616 said:
    banana468 said:

i know my dad before snow storms would fill up all the vehicles and take gas cans to fill up for the generator and snow blower. so thats probably why they are filled.

on another note. today was the opening day of one of our dealers in MA. huge snow storm but there were still people there and...... they have a nail salon inside. 
    those of you east coasters be safe and warm.
    WUT! Where in MA, what dealer?

• Options
    ill pm you
  • Options
    This morning I said to FI, "I like Florida. Let's stay here." He said, "Okay." I'm sure knowing the blizzard about to hit our friends and family up north had nothing to do with our line of reasoning. Also he works for the news and if we lived up north, every time it snowed they'd send him to cover that because SNOW IS FALLING AND THAT IS BREAKING NEWS YOU GUYS.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    This morning I said to FI, "I like Florida. Let's stay here." He said, "Okay." I'm sure knowing the blizzard about to hit our friends and family up north had nothing to do with our line of reasoning. Also he works for the news and if we lived up north, every time it snowed they'd send him to cover that because SNOW IS FALLING AND THAT IS BREAKING NEWS YOU GUYS.
    Our breaking news is rain. And it doesn't even have to fall. It just has to might fall.

I've seen reporters stand in puddles and report on the puddle that the slight rain caused. I was in WA once, and it rained, and the news didn't say shit about it. It was shocking to me.
  • Options
    Our breaking news is rain. And it doesn't even have to fall. It just has to might fall.

I've seen reporters stand in puddles and report on the puddle that the slight rain caused. I was in WA once, and it rained, and the news didn't say shit about it. It was shocking to me.
    Yeah, he gets called for a lot of rain stories. Especially in the summer, where, you know, you can predict the rain daily. And yet somehow he needs to film the rain. Because people might not know otherwise that it rains a lot in Florida in the summer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @lolo883...yeah...we react the same to the cold. If it drops below 69 it's officially cold. Hell I wore a sweater to work today and our high is in the low 70s.
  • Options
    @lolo883...yeah...we react the same to the cold. If it drops below 69 it's officially cold. Hell I wore a sweater to work today and our high is in the low 70s.
    My favorite was the guy who said "it MIGHT have snowed today if it had just been a little colder..."

• Options
    My favorite was the guy who said "it MIGHT have snowed today if it had just been a little colder..."
    We were so doing that when we had our little cold snap. It could have snowed if it had been colder!

Which when you say it out loud, you realize how stupid it sounds because yes, it can snow in cold weather that is how snow works. 
  • Options
    @flutteringinfl We were watching the Miss Universe last night and Donald Trump was talking about how great Doral, FL is (where it took place). I kept being like "babe, look how nice it is, that's where Chris just moved, we should move there, look how nice it is compared to here!" It wasn't working. He said he will consider it in 15 years. uuuuuugh I'm stuck in snow forever. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards