Chit Chat

So who is in the blizzard zone?

Re: So who is in the blizzard zone?

• @arrippa You should check the tracking info if you have any. There was a posting on FB last night that a UPS truck headed for MA crashed in PA and spilled boxes all over a bridge.

• Don't hate me, but I would love to see some snow here. Not like blizzard power outage snow. But any snow. We had one little sprinkle of snow right after Thanksgiving, and that's been it. 

Stay warm, blizzard Knotties!
    @ohannabelle - I will send  you what is in my yard and we will call it good.  Hell, I will even send you some homemade cookies to go with it.  Christmas is over so it is time for flip flops but it was only 9 degrees this morning.
  • We have been using mucho kindling with otherwise dry dry wood that got soaked 2 weeks back when a cover blew off, rain soaked it all night long, then the temp dropped 20 degrees so ice stayed in there.
    Hubby and the guy downstairs broke off clusters of 2 to 3 logs frozen together, with sledge hammers.

The idiots are Brooklyn raised, and initially started whacking at the chest high pile with axes to get between the logs. I had to go out and explain the meaning of Horrendous Home Accident with flying and chipped axe heads.

At least they carry wood great, and willingly. I saved last year's deerskins and made new leather carriers to replace smaller canvas ones old and tearing. Now I wish I made them smaller because macho guys can't fill a carrier 2/3 full. Not when they can load it to the top with a backbreaking load, stagger past the wheeled cart that the kids and I usually use to bring it up our ramp, and carry it all the way .

Your in-laws are generous, but what is that saying about the road to hell is paved with good intentions....

I gather you are not too far south of us?
  • We have been using mucho kindling with otherwise dry dry wood that got soaked 2 weeks back when a cover blew off, rain soaked it all night long, then the temp dropped 20 degrees so ice stayed in there. Hubby and the guy downstairs broke off clusters of 2 to 3 logs frozen together, with sledge hammers. The idiots are Brooklyn raised, and initially started whacking at the chest high pile with axes to get between the logs. I had to go out and explain the meaning of Horrendous Home Accident with flying and chipped axe heads. At least they carry wood great, and willingly. I saved last year's deerskins and made new leather carriers to replace smaller canvas ones old and tearing. Now I wish I made them smaller because macho guys can't fill a carrier 2/3 full. Not when they can load it to the top with a backbreaking load, stagger past the wheeled cart that the kids and I usually use to bring it up our ramp, and carry it all the way . Your in-laws are generous, but what is that saying about the road to hell is paved with good intentions.... I gather you are not too far south of us?
    It would have been generous if they'd paid for it since they didn't ask us first, instead of being like yeah the fact that it's a week before christmas is irrelevant. Tape a check for $500 to your door because we ordered wood for you.

I'm in the Hillsborough, NH area.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    We have been using mucho kindling with otherwise dry dry wood that got soaked 2 weeks back when a cover blew off, rain soaked it all night long, then the temp dropped 20 degrees so ice stayed in there. Hubby and the guy downstairs broke off clusters of 2 to 3 logs frozen together, with sledge hammers. The idiots are Brooklyn raised, and initially started whacking at the chest high pile with axes to get between the logs. I had to go out and explain the meaning of Horrendous Home Accident with flying and chipped axe heads. At least they carry wood great, and willingly. I saved last year's deerskins and made new leather carriers to replace smaller canvas ones old and tearing. Now I wish I made them smaller because macho guys can't fill a carrier 2/3 full. Not when they can load it to the top with a backbreaking load, stagger past the wheeled cart that the kids and I usually use to bring it up our ramp, and carry it all the way . Your in-laws are generous, but what is that saying about the road to hell is paved with good intentions.... I gather you are not too far south of us?
    It would have been generous if they'd paid for it since they didn't ask us first, instead of being like yeah the fact that it's a week before christmas is irrelevant. Tape a check for $500 to your door because we ordered wood for you.

Oh Jesus Christ.

I'd be like...no. And take the wood back.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • That sucks.

As a Wisconsin-raised girl, I find it hilarious the way the city likes to act like it's going to be SO much more affected than everyone else, when the reality is it's WAY worse to have to dig out cars and whatnot than it is to...walk through some snow? I mean, I can almost guarantee you that my local bodega will be open. Someone who lives 30 miles from the nearest store is not so fortunate. But OMG guys, this storm is unprecedented in NYC! Don't forget to freak out!
    This is definitely not the worst storm to hit our area, not by a longshot. But any significant snow sucks in NYC. Not so much while it's snowing, but it's the aftermath that is a bitch. I remember I was in and out of the city a lot during the holidays in '09 when we had that crazy 2'+ snow storm the day after Christmas. It wasn't a big deal (other than the car accidents)... until they started plowing. There was simply nowhere to put that much snow - and we were expecting another big storm that week (we got 9" two or three days later). Still, that was just annoying. Then came the thaw. Just like there was nowhere to put the snow, there was definitely nowhere to put the water since snow was still covering sewer grates and blocking the flow of water. And it would just re-freeze overnight and cause havoc in the morning.

That being said, I don't understand the OMGPANIC! that's going on. Nor do I understand the cavalier attitudes of people who were flying down the country roads at 60+ mph (50 zone) when we had almost 2" of snow already this morning. Can we just all act like rational adults who don't panic but don't act like assholes either?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• beethery said:

Oh Jesus Christ.

I'd be like...no. And take the wood back.
    Yeah, mad didn't cover it.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I am getting 8 inches, but looks like my Brother & niece might be crashing here as their plane might not make it back to RI today. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Beethery said "It would have been generous if they'd paid for it since they didn't ask us first, instead of being like yeah the fact that it's a week before christmas is irrelevant. Tape a check for $500 to your door because we ordered wood for you.

I'm in the Hillsborough, NH area "
    Well as you know from reading these forums, lots of brides have parents who would order the wood, not tell you, not tell the company don't dump the wood in the center of the driveway, and forget the check, arrange for them to bill you.

I felt sad I had no shoes and then I met a man who had no feet. One of the ways t k boards always help me get my perspective back.

Hunker down. Hills Co is much like us for snow.
    We will enjoy skiing on the frozen brooks and beaver dammed ponds which connect us to the Ammonoosuc out back.This much snow is a great leveler over rocky riverbeds. CC skiing for miles, free. We built a brick and stone fireplace with the help of a retired stonemason and I doing mortar, close to this winter playground and stacked wood, in October, then Dec was too cold and I was too pregnant, so I am looking forward to after this storm for having outdoor ski and cookout parties,
    Stay warm.
  • Oh I just realized you mean they asked you to put out a check, not that they taped the check to your door for the unexpected delivery people. How awful.
  • That possibility did not occur to me.
  • That sucks.

As a Wisconsin-raised girl, I find it hilarious the way the city likes to act like it's going to be SO much more affected than everyone else, when the reality is it's WAY worse to have to dig out cars and whatnot than it is to...walk through some snow? I mean, I can almost guarantee you that my local bodega will be open. Someone who lives 30 miles from the nearest store is not so fortunate. But OMG guys, this storm is unprecedented in NYC! Don't forget to freak out!
    This is definitely not the worst storm to hit our area, not by a longshot. But any significant snow sucks in NYC. Not so much while it's snowing, but it's the aftermath that is a bitch. I remember I was in and out of the city a lot during the holidays in '09 when we had that crazy 2'+ snow storm the day after Christmas. It wasn't a big deal (other than the car accidents)... until they started plowing. There was simply nowhere to put that much snow - and we were expecting another big storm that week (we got 9" two or three days later). Still, that was just annoying. Then came the thaw. Just like there was nowhere to put the snow, there was definitely nowhere to put the water since snow was still covering sewer grates and blocking the flow of water. And it would just re-freeze overnight and cause havoc in the morning.

That being said, I don't understand the OMGPANIC! that's going on. Nor do I understand the cavalier attitudes of people who were flying down the country roads at 60+ mph (50 zone) when we had almost 2" of snow already this morning. Can we just all act like rational adults who don't panic but don't act like assholes either?
    Every time they talk about the "unprecedented" snow I'm like WHAT ABOUT '09 THO?

To the second bolded: Yes. It amuses and irritates me that people are acting like this isn't The North and they've never experienced this shit before, whether it's by being overly panicky or overly unsafe.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Many people get eggs, milk, bread before a storm. I got all healthy groceries yesterday. DH just texted me that "we're ready for the storm. I got plain chips with onion dip, tortilla chips with queso, and doritos". Gee thanks babe!!!!!!

• We have some wood from Hurricane Sandy that is nicely seasoned.

Now the concern is whether or not DH is going to need to get out and shovel the flat part of our roof that's over our spare bedroom/home office.

I think Malloy officially put a travel ban in effect for 9PM tonight. 
  • Please send snow to Dallas.. I was in t shirt and sandals yesterday laaaamme. I would really love to see snow falling!

So those amazon drones - pack up a shit ton of snow and send it over this way and the drone can hover above my window and let the snow fall slowly and gently so I can watch. Please and thank you.

image   image   image

• It was......Kinda disappointing waking up this morning and still being able to see grass.  All the county schools (And H's super fancy private school he went too) closed around 7. I'm trying to not be all crotchety and be like "This isn't a snow day...." But H said it was icy this morning. 

It looks like we might get a total of 3-5 thru Tuesday. Not quite what was predicted, but weather happens.

Anniversary
  • chibiyui said:
    It was......Kinda disappointing waking up this morning and still being able to see grass.  All the county schools (And H's super fancy private school he went too) closed around 7. I'm trying to not be all crotchety and be like "This isn't a snow day...." But H said it was icy this morning

It looks like we might get a total of 3-5 thru Tuesday. Not quite what was predicted, but weather happens.

As much as I love, love, love the snow, I totally despise ice outside of a frozen pond, skating rink, or alcoholic beverage. Right now we have a pervasive frozen layer of ice underneath the powdery stuff. It is killer.

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• jenna8984 said:
    Many people get eggs, milk, bread before a storm. I got all healthy groceries yesterday. DH just texted me that "we're ready for the storm. I got plain chips with onion dip, tortilla chips with queso, and doritos". Gee thanks babe!!!!!!
    I could never figure out why everyone thinks the middle of a storm is the perfect time to make French toast.........
    Seriously. I've got wine, so I'll be fine!

• jenna8984 said:
    Many people get eggs, milk, bread before a storm. I got all healthy groceries yesterday. DH just texted me that "we're ready for the storm. I got plain chips with onion dip, tortilla chips with queso, and doritos". Gee thanks babe!!!!!!
    I could never figure out why everyone thinks the middle of a storm is the perfect time to make French toast.........
    You mean it isn't?

My favorite winter meal is Cocoa and Toast. A good cup of hot chocolate, some toast and butter. I am a happy chibiyui. 

Anniversary
  • jenna8984 said:
    Seriously. I've got wine, so I'll be fine!
    We have 3 or 4 6-packs of beer, 5 bottles of mead, 5 bottles of wine, 3 or 4 different bottles of JD, some Goose, plenty of tequila and mixers, and fixins for Irish Car Bombs. No bread, though. PRIORITIES!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• The thing I dread most about heavy snowfall in NYC is the trash tunnels that you have to put up with for weeks after major snowfall. There were weeks in '09 that I had to walk down a sidewalk with 10ft high piles of garbage on both sides because of the sanitation slow down. 

But other than that we don't have it that bad. The bodegas stay open. There are a few dozen restaurants that will still deliver. I just want the day off tomorrow so I can sleep in and watch Law and Order all day. But knowing my office, we'll be open as soon as the subways are up and running again. 
  • I'm in the blizzard zone!

I'm kinda excited.  H and I had never been snowed in together.  

We are stocked up on real food and of course junk food, warm clothes, batteries and candles (just in case) and both trucks are gassed up.

Now I just need to get out of work (hoping for an early dismissal).   I'm sure if I was responsible for snow removal I wouldn't be so excited.  Our complex takes care of all of that and H is in charge of cleaning off the cars.  He won't let me do it because I'm pregnant.  I'll take full advantage :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • my FMIL lives on the west side of town and i work on the east side (lake effect snow). she always crabs about all the snow they are getting and what not. and its like come on really. you arent seeing it all. i wish i had the pictures from fall of 2013. we had snow on the east side of town in October, west side sunny and rain no snow. it was crazy. 

we were suppose to be getting a decent amount of snow but how the front rolled in it kind of missed us and was more south than anything in ohio.

our next big event will be a rain/snow mix on thursday.
  • banana468 said:
    PB&J is the sandwich of choice here and DD loves her milk so we go through it quickly.  

But until I had kids, those were NOT the things I was buying for storm prep.

We have plenty of bottled water and a filled wine rack and liquor cabinet.    And cheese.
    I feel terrible but I'm a little sad that I won't get to sit back and have some drinks with H.  To make up for it I got myself a variety box of icepops.  That's kinda the same right?!? ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    As long as I can get to my Hey Rosetta concert Wednesday night I'll be happy. The schools might close; I'm surprised at how often they close here actually. But this isn't our first rodeo and we've yet to lose power once - possibly because we have these supplying power to our school house:

One of our cats enjoying our last big snowfall. You can see how our place is pretty robust, although until just this week, the windows were old and terrible (as seen here). It's MUCH warmer (and wind-proof!) now:

• jenna8984 said:
    I think pizza and beer are better the best option over milk and bread if I will be stuck in the house of a week
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Milk and eggs are necessary during a snow storm at my house (along with bisquick) because pancakes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards