Chit Chat
Options

Vent. Not about work/relationships/or wedding.

Re: Vent. Not about work/relationships/or wedding.

• Options
    Oh yeah. I always felt really safe in Chicago. San Francisco, where my dad grew up and my mom  lived, on the other hand, is shady af. 
  • Options
    FiancB said:

Oh yeah. I always felt really safe in Chicago. San Francisco, where my dad grew up and my mom  lived, on the other hand, is shady af. 

You're kidding, right?

Anniversary

• Options

FiancB said:

You're kidding, right?
    Specific parts, no, not at all. I'm just pointing out that generally San Francisco is perceived as a super safe, clean, and upscale city while Chicago isn't, and my experience was just the opposite. Not making sweeping generalizations of SF, every city has its trouble zones.

Obviously there are parts of Chicago that are rough but one doesn't generally accidentally wander into them like I did the tenderloin, which is close to where my mom once had an apartment and is the only place I ever felt I might actually get hurt, and that was in broad daylight, with my husband.

Point being that it's interesting how people will be all EEK DIFFERENT PLACE I HEARD WAS SCARY as opposed to reality.   
  • Options
    I'm sorry, there is a neigborhood called "the tenderloin"? Why is that so hilarious to me? Haha, I'll have to ask my friends in SF about this.
  • Options
    I generally feel uneasy in chicago, but that's honestly because I am just not a city person. Any big city makes me feel a little inherently unsafe.
  • Options

I'm from Chicago. My parents were always more concerned when I moved to the boonies.

Planning a trip to IN for work right now. I was supposed to go with a lesbian coworker. I decided to be a mensch and let her skip. Which sucks, not just because the state is ass backwards and wrong, but because she's super-fun to travel with. Our client's pretty cool (and the trip can't be canceled) but I don't blame her for not wanting to be there. I love that they made a comment about being embarrassed by their state on a recent call.

My friend owns a restaurant in IN and told me that he saved me one of the stickers found here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/news/ct-ptb-rfra-local-reaction-st-0326-20150325-story.html?fb_action_ids=10206266611208579&fb_action_types=og.shares.

Friends in Indy tell me that the stickers are everywhere. That at least gives me some hope. Plus, tons of businesses are reconsidering their place in the state. I hope it helps.

With all the outrage IN INDIANA  itself I have to wonder where these people were when voting was going on?     

The law passed somehow.     

This type of shit is why local, county and state non-preidental elections years are so god damn important.    People just fucking focus on the Presidential election year.  Then fucking ASSHOLES get elected on the off years and  let this kind of bill get approved for the Governor to even sign in the first place.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Wait was it actually voted on? I don't think there was a vote. But I could be wrong.

ETA: And if there was a vote since when is it OK to vote discrimination into law? Didn't we have an entire civil rights movement about how discrimination is bad? Are we just pretending that part of history didn't really happen?
  • Options

Wait was it actually voted on? I don't think there was a vote. But I could be wrong.

ETA: And if there was a vote since when is it OK to vote discrimination into law? Didn't we have an entire civil rights movement about how discrimination is bad? Are we just pretending that part of history didn't really happen?

It was voted on the state legislative level.  The given to the Gov to sign.

So at some point there was a vote by ASSHOLE representatives that were elected to hold the office.  And then signed by the Governor .    I bet if the bill present to the state legislature had half the press as it does now it would not have gone through.  It's only after bills like this are SIGNED AS LAW do people started getting pissed.    Sorry, a little too late.  Had people been paying attention it might not have passed to being with.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

It was voted on the state legislative level.  The given to the Gov to sign.

So at some point there was a vote by ASSHOLE representatives that were elected to hold the office.  And then signed by the Governor .    I bet if the bill present to the state legislature had half the press as it does now it would not have gone through.  It's only after bills like this are SIGNED AS LAW do people started getting pissed.    Sorry, a little too late.  Had people been paying attention it might not have passed to being with.
    Sadly, some states are so gerrymandered that it's nearly impossible to vote out the assholes.

Anniversary
  • Options

I generally feel uneasy in chicago, but that's honestly because I am just not a city person. Any big city makes me feel a little inherently unsafe.

I'm the same way. I only go downtown for Bears games and when I do, I take the train so I'm in the loop. But I still feel like every single person is there only for my purse.

My mom used to tell my sister and I that she would pick us up in the middle of the night if the weather was nice. If it was raining, snowing or otherwise shitty, we had to walk. Because no people/thieves will be out in shitty weather.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

I'm the same way. I only go downtown for Bears games and when I do, I take the train so I'm in the loop. But I still feel like every single person is there only for my purse.

My mom used to tell my sister and I that she would pick us up in the middle of the night if the weather was nice. If it was raining, snowing or otherwise shitty, we had to walk. Because no people/thieves will be out in shitty weather.

Lol, same. I NEVER drive into the city. I just am not meant to be city folk.
  • Options
    Well, Indiana is turning into a terrifying place. 

In a nutshell, a woman is being put in jail for having a miscarriage. Excellent. 
  • Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    FiancB said:

In a nutshell, a woman is being put in jail for having a miscarriage. Excellent. 
    Oh god, I got chills just reading this. 

ETA and now that I have read the article, I wish I hadn't. I feel nauseated and can't even put my thoughts into words right now.
  • Options
    Should not have fucking read the comments. Commence rage spiral.
  • Options
    lol Arkansas just passed a very similar bill. So those fucking idiots couldn't learn from our mistake? Cool. 
  • Options

The "proof" that the baby was born alive presented by the prosecution makes this case even more infuriating. This is a really interesting article, but fair warning, it will just make you even angrier with how much bullshit this is: 
  • Options
    Well I never fucking go to Indiana.  I had my tubes tied 10 years ago, I could get thrown in jail for killing all those precious eggs.

• Options
    What the heck is going on in Indiana? Run far away!
  • Options

The "proof" that the baby was born alive presented by the prosecution makes this case even more infuriating. This is a really interesting article, but fair warning, it will just make you even angrier with how much bullshit this is: 

And she was charged (and convicted of) two conflicting crimes.WHAT THE FUCK EVEN?

How is it possible to be convicted of feticide - "killing" the fetus (NOPE. NOT A THING. NO.), AND felony neglect because they claim that the child was born alive, and she allowed it to die. If that is the case, then how did she commit feticide? She didn't kill the fetus, by that logic.\

The ONLY possible crime here should have to do with potentially disposing of remains improperly, in my opinion.And even that is pushing.

Fuck Indiana forever, I am beyond fucking done with you. (Sorry Novella. I still love you, just not your state)

I mean, shit. What If I miscarry someday in Indiana? Will they use my statement here that I would have an abortion if I got pregnant right now, as evidence that I totes must have tried to self-abort? Because that's basically what they did to this woman. "Well, she didn't have any drugs in her system, but she totally talked about it and maybe bought them!"
  • Options
    What's fucking next. Women have to get their husband's permission to get birth control or get her tubes tied?

• Options
    We have this science thing to prove the baby was born alive. Well, not really science because most of science has disproved it. But it's a thing. There are ways this thing could also happen. But THOSE DID NOT HAPPEN because we say so based on the science thing that is not science.

Both of the women who have been charged with Indiana's shiny feticide law are women of color...I'm just not navie enough to think that a nice white lady in the burbs would be charged the same way two women of color were charged. 
  • Options

What's fucking next. Women have to get their husband's permission to get birth control or get her tubes tied?

Her husband's, her father's, at least one minister, and three opinions of men held within good standing in the community.

And if any of those people say yes we go find new people who understand that a woman's one singular purpose in life is to breed. And if she doesn't want to breed, there is something wrong with her so get her pregnant so she'll understand the joy of being pregnant. 
  • Options
    She must have had a terrible lawyer. Someone should come out and help with her appeal. @JCbride2015 what is your opinion on this case?

• Options
    But! NASCAR spoke out against Indiana's law. Didn't see that coming but gotta say I like it.

http://nascartalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/31/nascar-disappointed-in-indianas-religious-freedom-restoration-act/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You know, last night, we were in Key West, with rainbow flags and ads for drag shows eveywhere, watching CNN about the shit show in Indiana. I was commenting to DH that maybe it's just the cities we've visited lately, but I don't understand how the US can be on such polar opposites of this (last few cities have included the Keys, San Francisco and NYC, so perhaps a little skewed). I guess the tourist dollar goes for a lot, though this makes me never want to visit Indiana. But the impression I've had from visiting is that most people either don't care or support gay rights, yet the news always seems to show differently. Very vocal minority hopefully

And though I'm a little late, I could go on forever about what I've heard about Canada. Yes, we all ride our polar bears/dog sleds to school, live in igloos with no electricity and have snow year round and everyone says 'eh' at the end of every sentence. And of course I know John from Toronto. We're BFF's!! Oh, and the time change difference between the US and Canada is true. We're not on the same time as you ladies (asked from someone from California going to BC what time it was in Canada with the time change).

• Options

You know, last night, we were in Key West, with rainbow flags and ads for drag shows eveywhere, watching CNN about the shit show in Indiana. I was commenting to DH that maybe it's just the cities we've visited lately, but I don't understand how the US can be on such polar opposites of this (last few cities have included the Keys, San Francisco and NYC, so perhaps a little skewed). I guess the tourist dollar goes for a lot, though this makes me never want to visit Indiana. But the impression I've had from visiting is that most people either don't care or support gay rights, yet the news always seems to show differently. Very vocal minority hopefully

And though I'm a little late, I could go on forever about what I've heard about Canada. Yes, we all ride our polar bears/dog sleds to school, live in igloos with no electricity and have snow year round and everyone says 'eh' at the end of every sentence. And of course I know John from Toronto. We're BFF's!! Oh, and the time change difference between the US and Canada is true. We're not on the same time as you ladies (asked from someone from California going to BC what time it was in Canada with the time change).

I'm confused. In the highlighted, are you talking about Indiana or the liberal cities like SF?

Anniversary

• Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    ashley8918 said:Well, Indiana is turning into a terrifying place. 
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/indiana-has-now-charged-two-asian-american-women-feticide-n332761

The "proof" that the baby was born alive presented by the prosecution makes this case even more infuriating. This is a really interesting article, but fair warning, it will just make you even angrier with how much bullshit this is: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2015/02/purvi_patel_feticide_why_did_the_pathologist_use_the_discredited_lung_float.html

And she was charged (and convicted of) two conflicting crimes.WHAT THE FUCK EVEN?

How is it possible to be convicted of feticide - "killing" the fetus (NOPE. NOT A THING. NO.), AND felony neglect because they claim that the child was born alive, and she allowed it to die. If that is the case, then how did she commit feticide? She didn't kill the fetus, by that logic.\
    The ONLY possible crime here should have to do with potentially disposing of remains improperly, in my opinion.And even that is pushing.
    Fuck Indiana forever, I am beyond fucking done with you. (Sorry Novella. I still love you, just not your state)
    I mean, shit. What If I miscarry someday in Indiana? Will they use my statement here that I would have an abortion if I got pregnant right now, as evidence that I totes must have tried to self-abort? Because that's basically what they did to this woman. "Well, she didn't have any drugs in her system, but she totally talked about it and maybe bought them!"
    ----------------------------box-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's yet another infuriating thing. Indiana wrote the law in a way that the fetus
    DOES NOT HAVE TO DIE in order for the mother to be charged with feticide. She only has to have shown intent to kill the fetus (the supposed abortion pills that Patel supposedly ordered and took, although the texicology tests couldn't find any traces in her system) but it can survive and she can still be charged. 

So the state argued that she committed feticide with her intent to kill, then AFTER the baby was born, she did kill it through neglect. Ya know, cuz it was born alive, cuz their 17th century "science" that other pathologists disproved in the 1980s says so. And if a baby dies shortly after birth it MUST be through neglect, cuz ya know, babies never die of natural causes or complications. 

Every part of their case was quite a stretch, and they jury fucking bought it. 
  • Options

Is Indiana in some kind of self-imposed competition to be the most extreme state in the union? What the actual fuck is going on there? 

I always find it ironic that the people who tend to support laws/decisions like Indiana's recent shenanigans are the SAME people who think an Islamic (i.e. religious) state is the root of all evil and ruining freedom. Like, do they really not see the likeness or are they fucking with me?
    Nope, it's totally different to them because because they're right and Islam is wrong.

Srsly, that's pretty much what it boils down to. The most vehement of them would consider any kind of critical thinking on the logic of their religion to be a failing of faith or trying to persecute them.

In Internet speak, the thirst is real.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards