Chit Chat
Options

Vent. Not about work/relationships/or wedding.

Re: Vent. Not about work/relationships/or wedding.

• Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    MagicInk said:
    So embarrassing. When I travel to other states, I already have to hear the stereotypes that everyone in Indiana is a farmer, a fat hick, uneducated, lives in cornfields, etc. Now I also have to deal with the bigot thing. Ugh. Fucking Indiana. 

And side note, the last time I was in CO, someone seriously asked me if there were any trees in Indiana. For the record, yes we have trees. 
  • Options

MagicInk said:
    So embarrassing. When I travel to other states, I already have to hear the stereotypes that everyone in Indiana is a farmer, a fat hick, uneducated, lives in cornfields, etc. Now I also have to deal with the bigot thing. Ugh. Fucking Indiana. 

And side note, the last time I was in CO, someone seriously asked me if there were any trees in Indiana. For the record, yes we have trees. 
    I meeeeeannnn...not a lot of 'em though.

*runs away giggling*
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

MagicInk said:

Everyone asks that about Arizona too. And if there is water.
  • Options

MagicInk said:

The general public can be so stupid.

I've been asked what state is Delaware in?     They think everyone in CO is high.  In the islands we were asked what we do when it snows.  

I could go on and on.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

That is so annoying. I get a lot of stuff like that living in Kentucky too. My favorites are "you're not from KY you don't have an accent" and "so you have horses right?"
  • Options

**********************FK TK BOXES DAMMIT**********************

To the bolded, replace corn fields w cotton fields & add sleeping with your cousin & that is exactly how I feel living in Alabama. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    jdluvr06 said:

That is so annoying. I get a lot of stuff like that living in Kentucky too. My favorites are "you're not from KY you don't have an accent" and "so you have horses right?"

I'm from Idaho and I get a lot of "Illinois?" No dipshit Idaho. Or I get lots of stupid comments about potatoes.

To the topic at hand - that law sucks (putting it mildly) and I don't see how anyone could support it and not be a bigot. Also, I didn't know Catholic hospitals were a thing before TK and now I feel like I need to do some research about the hospitals in my area.

• Options
    I grew up in upstate NY and EVERYONE assumes you live in the city. One person asked me once, "Do you like, live near the Empire State Building?" If by near you mean three hours north, sure.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    banana468 said:

CT signed the gay marriage law before the public voted in that asshat.

I didn't vote for him twice.    I'm still waiting for a new retroactive tax increase but that's a rant for a different thread.

As a Catholic, we have always been fans of the booze.   We believe that Jesus turned water into wine.   Why wouldn't we drink it?! 

I think sexual orientation is also a protected class in CT. So they wouldn't be able to use the law against gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgenered people?
  • Options

No, I didn't know Kurt Cobain.

Yes, we do occasionally get to see the sun.

No, I don't work for Microsoft.

I don't even own a flannel shirt.

All those views in every TV show you just mentioned are fake.

Rose Red is a book by Stephen King THERE IS NOT ACTUAL HOUSE THAT KILLS PEOPLE!

• Options

I'm a little disappointed by that.... 
  • Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

ETA: 
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:

At the time the mini series came out I worked at a place that helped people relocate.  I was appalled at the number of people that thought Rose Red was a documentary.

• Options
    jdluvr06 said:

Haha, this is fun!

Once I sarcastically told someone that I rode my cow, Bessie, to school (because Wisconsin). He laughed, paused, then said, "But did you actually have a cow named Bessie?"

Headdesk.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

jdluvr06 said:

At the time the mini series came out I worked at a place that helped people relocate.  I was appalled at the number of people that thought Rose Red was a documentary.

Hahahahaha that is so great!!! I'm pretty sure Rose Red was loosely based on the Winchester Mystery House... In California.
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:

jdluvr06 said:

Hahahahaha that is so great!!! I'm pretty sure Rose Red was loosely based on the Winchester Mystery House... In California.
    I still want a Supernatural episode where the Winchesters go investigate the Winchester house. 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

jdluvr06 said:

Wait wait wait...I thought Stephen King was a non-fiction writer. Are you saying he's not?
    Part of it was filmed in Seattle, so naturally that made it a true story. How or why people thought it was real is beyond me.

• Options
    I don't get anything too bad; just the typical, "You're from the south, so you must be dumb/racist/redneck/country."  I think most people (or I hope, at least) realize that is not true.  Especially for those of us from Atlanta--we're proud to be the city too busy to hate!

Also, regarding rednecks in the south, I swear I saw more rednecks when I was driving through Pennsylvania than when I drive through Alabama.

• Options
    MagicInk said:

jdluvr06 said:

Wait wait wait...I thought Stephen King was a non-fiction writer. Are you saying he's not?
    Only The Stand is based on a true story.

• Options
    I have to gently remind people that I don't know Snooki - and that she's actually NOT from NJ.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    When I was younger and I'd meet people on vacation, they'd always ask if I'd ever been mugged (because New York). Yes, they always mug 12 year old girls. We're the ones walking around with all the money! 
  • Options
    FiancB said:

if you are more offended by people bringing up appalling acts done in the name of your religion than by the acts themselves, and bounce into these conversations just to say #notallcatholics, you are fucking gross. 

• Options

When I was younger and I'd meet people on vacation, they'd always ask if I'd ever been mugged (because New York). Yes, they always mug 12 year old girls. We're the ones walking around with all the money! 

I grew up one hour away from NYC and my dad thinks this.

I also had other family members tell me that to go to NYC to see friends I needed to ditch the purse and carry a fanny pack.   Really.   Like, in 2005.
  • Options
    banana468 said:

I also had other family members tell me that to go to NYC to see friends I needed to ditch the purse and carry a fanny pack.   Really.   Like, in 2005.
    So that the muggers would see you as a tourist right away and mug you?

My mother taught me not to look like a tourist because I would get mugged and mudered. Mother is very concerned about me being murdered. 
  • Options
    A few people in this area allegedly joined ISIS, so now my parents are convinced there is an ISIS training camp down the street from me or something. I wonder if there's a way I can cancel their subscription to Fox News...

Also every time I go to Chicago they are certain I'll be shot. 
  • Options
    I'm from Chicago. My parents were always more concerned when I moved to the boonies.

Planning a trip to IN for work right now. I was supposed to go with a lesbian coworker. I decided to be a mensch and let her skip. Which sucks, not just because the state is ass backwards and wrong, but because she's super-fun to travel with. Our client's pretty cool (and the trip can't be canceled) but I don't blame her for not wanting to be there. I love that they made a comment about being embarrassed by their state on a recent call.

My friend owns a restaurant in IN and told me that he saved me one of the stickers found here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/news/ct-ptb-rfra-local-reaction-st-0326-20150325-story.html?fb_action_ids=10206266611208579&fb_action_types=og.shares.

Friends in Indy tell me that the stickers are everywhere. That at least gives me some hope. Plus, tons of businesses are reconsidering their place in the state. I hope it helps.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

banana468 said:

So that the muggers would see you as a tourist right away and mug you?

My mother taught me not to look like a tourist because I would get mugged and mudered. Mother is very concerned about me being murdered. 
    Clearly.   When I used this logic there wasn't an argument -  just a sign that the family member rarely ever went into the city.

Look - I won't walk around with my purse opened but I'm not about to dress like I have a target on me either. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards