Chit Chat
Options

Vent. Not about work/relationships/or wedding.

Re: Vent. Not about work/relationships/or wedding.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I don't know if I shared this before, but I can hemorrhage sometimes from my endometriosis.  One day, not even around my period, I started bleeding like crazy. It was really scary. I went to the Catholic hospital, and they wouldn't admit me because they were concerned I had an abortion. I had bled all over my pants, through several pads and lost consciousness. They finally took me back to the emergency room, but didn't treat me.  The doctor saw me, didn't do a sonogram. I was told they didn't have one... this is the largest birthing hospital in Buffalo. BULL SHIT. They told me to see my regular doctor the next day and discharged me.
      When I was treated by my doctor the next day, he removed a large cyst on my uterus. I developed an infection, and was bedridden for a month. My condition was not life threatening, but how would the doctor know that if he didn't examine me? If it were life-threatening, I probably would have died while waiting to see if I would be accepted.
      THIS is why I hate Catholic hospitals.... oh... and they had the nerve to bill me. You should have to treat a woman who has had an abortion, a junkie, a murderer, a mother, someone gay, someone straight, a prostitute, a grandpa, a teacher, a rapist all the same.  Who made them the fucking judge and jury?
  • Options
    OMG @themuffinman16 that's horrifying. :anguished:

• Options
    Thanks for all the info @pinkrevenge. I didn't realize how lucky I am to live in an area with Catholic hospitals who don't refuse treatment to anyone. 

@themuffinman16 that is horrifying. 
  • Options
    The hospital staff repeatedly asked me if I had an abortion, I said no. But, other times, when they were talking to me, I wasn't making sense because of blood loss.  In my opinion, though, if someone is not making sense, they suffer extreme blood loss, you treat that as a medical emergency, and treat the patient.
  • Options

I don't know if I shared this before, but I can hemorrhage sometimes from my endometriosis.  One day, not even around my period, I started bleeding like crazy. It was really scary. I went to the Catholic hospital, and they wouldn't admit me because they were concerned I had an abortion. I had bled all over my pants, through several pads and lost consciousness. They finally took me back to the emergency room, but didn't treat me.  The doctor saw me, didn't do a sonogram. I was told they didn't have one... this is the largest birthing hospital in Buffalo. BULL SHIT. They told me to see my regular doctor the next day and discharged me.

When I was treated by my doctor the next day, he removed a large cyst on my uterus. I developed an infection, and was bedridden for a month. My condition was not life threatening, but how would the doctor know that if he didn't examine me? If it were life-threatening, I probably would have died while waiting to see if I would be accepted.
      THIS is why I hate Catholic hospitals.... oh... and they had the nerve to bill me. You should have to treat a woman who has had an abortion, a junkie, a murderer, a mother, someone gay, someone straight, a prostitute, a grandpa, a teacher, a rapist all the same.  Who made them the fucking judge and jury?
    I can't believe they billed you. I hope you didn't pay them. 

Oh yes, the only way a woman ever bleeds uncontrollably is if she had an abortion. How are these people even doctors? It doesn't make any sense. 

• Options
    @themuffinman16 that is so disturbing. And they won't treat you because they think maybe possibly you might have done something against their belief but they will take your money for it? Raggggge.

I'm a Christian, and this catholic hospital business baffles me. Jesus healed and helped all types, yo.

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

If I remember correctly, the woman was charged with reckless child endangerment resulting in death.

Is she not charged with like...slicing someone open? I mean I feel like violently ripping something out of another person's body is a life-in-prison level offense regardless of what it is.

Right?! If someone sliced me open and took my kidneys to sell on the black market. I would hope they would get more than an assault charge.
      I feel so bad for that woman.  I hope she can have more children, someday.  I can't even imagine the emotional damage this caused her.  She must be so scared to even leave her house.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

Jesus may not have supported abortion.  I get that and I get why people feel that way.    Last week a  pregnant woman had her baby cut out of her womb by a  woman when she was 7 months pregnant.  Baby died.   The pregnant woman somehow lived.    The woman who did this horrible crime can not be charged with murder of the child. (she is charged with attempted murder of the mom and other crimes).   A lot of people are up in arms over that.  I'm not one of those people though.   Actually just a few short months ago a CO overwhelmingly opposed a law that would have made it murder.   It's a hot topic now.

However,  no one is going to convince me he would support denying medical attention after the fact.  Or deny service of some one who is gay or jewish or whatever.  He certainly would not support jumping to conclusions on what they "think" is going on as an excuse to deny service.  Nope, sorry I don't believe for one moment Jesus would do that.

There is a reason why I'm not Catholic anymore.
    Right. If termination of pregnancy just isn't one of the things your particular location provides, I can respect that. BUT. That doesn't mean you can refuse to treat someone who has had one and now has other complications. Treat the complications. Treat the patient. FIRST DO NO HARM. Turning people away who need treatment is DOING HARM.

I do believe in charging the woman in that story with something though. The "right to choose" lies solely with the person responsible for housing/growing that embryo/fetus/baby, NO ONE ELSE. That mother didn't choose for her nonviable baby to be brought into the world that day. Someone deprived her of it and in that case, I would absolutely call it manslaughter.
    The problem with the CO law was it was way too broad.     A fetus would be considered a person. Yep, the fetus would have the exact same rights as me.  I was always curious if the you could get a tax deduction since well it's a person and a dependent?  

If you had a miscarriage there could be a police investigate the mother to see if she did something doing to cause the miscarriage.   Especially a late term one.  Of course, abortion would be murder.   

The law was not written to say "if you choose life then the fetus is protected, but if you choose abortion then you are protected".  It was all or nothing.

Had the law be written differently the law might have been passed.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

If I remember correctly, the woman was charged with reckless child endangerment resulting in death.

Is she not charged with like...slicing someone open? I mean I feel like violently ripping something out of another person's body is a life-in-prison level offense regardless of what it is.

I did say she was charged with attempted murder of the mom and other charges.  Just not murder of the fetus.    Apparently the prelim autopsy said the baby wasn't never alive outside the womb.  Had the child lived outside of the womb then there would have been charges.

It's a very complicated case.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    Agreed @lyndausvi that's way too broad. Was only talking about that one specific story, not the whole law.

• Options
    Like I said, I don't think hospitals should be able to turn a woman away who needs medical treatment because she had an abortion or they *think* she had an abortion.  That's ridiculous.  Catholicism doesn't teach that they have to do that.  Catholicism doesn't teach that women who receive abortions should be refused medical service.  I'm sorry that some hospitals are ridiculous and do that, but I don't like it when people generalize an entire religion for things like that.  

SaveSave
  • Options
    monkeysip said:

Like I said, I don't think hospitals should be able to turn a woman away who needs medical treatment because she had an abortion or they *think* she had an abortion.  That's ridiculous.  Catholicism doesn't teach that they have to do that.  Catholicism doesn't teach that women who receive abortions should be refused medical service.  I'm sorry that some hospitals are ridiculous and do that, but I don't like it when people generalize an entire religion for things like that.  

Well Catholics only get picked on because you don't hear of Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopalian, Baptist, etc. hospitals turning people away or refusing care.

• Options
    Wow I'm getting pretty upset reading these stories. I am so sorry that happened to you, muffin.

I can understand not wanting to be the one to perform an abortion, but not treating complications because they COULD be from an abortion?  The church is also against suicide, but I doubt they refuse to treat someone that made an attempt and needs medical treatment. That's just misogyny, plain and simple.  Ugh. 
  • Options

monkeysip said:

Well Catholic hospitals only get picked on because you don't hear of Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopalian, Baptist, etc. hospitals turning people away or refusing care.
    FTFY.  @Monkeysip pointed out that what these hospitals are doing in this situation is contrary to Catholic teaching. 
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

monkeysip said:

Well Catholic hospitals only get picked on because you don't hear of Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopalian, Baptist, etc. hospitals turning people away or refusing care.
    FTFY.  @Monkeysip pointed out that what these hospitals are doing in this situation is contrary to Catholic teaching. 
    Tell that to the BISHOPS who made the damn mandates in the first place.
    Seriously. Please tell them to go re-learn how the shit to Catholic before they go commanding hospital administration and doctors how they're going to do their jobs.
    Interesting, because the directives from the US Bishops does not say they can't perform D&Cs for women with miscarriages, and it doesn't say they can't treat post-abortion women.

In fact, it says that women who have had abortions should be given "compassionate" physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual care.  

All it says is that you cannot take any action that intends the death of a living unborn child.  You *can* take steps to help a woman with a serious medical issues, even if the unintended consequence is that the unborn child dies (EX: pregnant woman with cancerous uterus--the uterus, with child, can be removed, even though unfortunately the child will die).

I've know plenty of women who had D&Cs at Catholic hospitals after only ONE sonogram to confirm the child had died.  

Your stories are terrible, but my point is not all Catholic hospitals operate that way, and it's certainly not something the Bishops decided.

SaveSave
  • Options

monkeysip said:

Hospitals don't make decisions. People do. Buildings and businesses don't have feelings and misguided beliefs and delicate sensibilities. People do. In this case, those people happen to be Catholics.

• Options
    I've never been able to understand why Catholic hospitals are a thing. Can Catholics not go to regular hospitals? Are they afraid someone will strap them down and force them to have an abortion? Because that does not happen in regular hospitals and if that does happen to you you are not in a real hospital and you need to call the cops and also you might be in horror movie.

My friend had her second kid in a Catholic hospital. Her first kid had been an emergency c-section, so they scheduled a c-section for her second. All during both her pregnancies she had terrible seizures. Her neurologist had striaght up told her she really shouldn't get pregnant again. 

After she had her son, her first, she asked to have her tubes tied. They refused because she was only 20. And as we all know women can't actually make decisions about their reproductive needs because we all really want babies we just haven't figured that out yet. And she can't take hormonal birth control, her and her husband weren't super careful, and bada-bing she's knocked up again.

So before she goes in for her c-section she asks if they'll tie her tubes while they're in there. They say, nope. Catholic hospital. Goes against our teachings. They didn't care that she had seizures during her pregnancies. Which were dangerous to the unborn fetus they care so much about (weird rules there...), just she couldn't have her tubes tied because it went against their teachings.

And why was she at a Catholic hospital? Because she was on state health insurance and the only OB she could get that wasn't just straight up terrible or in a horrible part of town to accept it was affiliated with only that hospital. Nice.

Wifey has wanted a home birth for awhile. We live near several hospitals so if something went wrong, she knew she could get to one quickly. Until she did some googling and figured out the closest hospital to us, the one we would most likely be taken too, is a Catholic hospital. Now she's rethinking her plans entirely to use the birthing center (which would transport to a non-catholic hospital) instead. Just in case. 

Now, will they treat a lesbian woman giving birth? Yeah, probably. But, I'm not that kid's anything until paperwork is filled out. I'm his/her mother's wife. Step-mom at best. Step parents don't get rights. It'd be hard enough in a non-Catholic hospital. Who the fuck knows what will happen in the Catholic hospital. I mean, letting a kid go home with the homos is participating in a sin right? 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

I've never been able to understand why Catholic hospitals are a thing. 

Because we are called to help the sick and provide aid to those who need it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards