Chit Chat
Options

Hey you pregnant people

Re: Hey you pregnant people

• Options
    And here I thought the 400 buck BOB stroller, which IS all-terrain and DOES fold up, was expensive. Ha! It's chump change to the chauffeur needing stoller!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Well duh you have your chauffeur just put the whole thing in the range rover @magicink

FTFY.

My thoughts when someone mentioned the no cup holder/place to put a diaper bag were that the nanny/assistant would be behind me with all that. Obviously.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    MagicInk said:
    SBmini said:
    MagicInk said:
    @SBmini so you want to be able to offend people rather then taking a split second to think "How are my words going to impact another human?"....oh yeah I long for the days were people called me a fucking dyke and no one said shit because "they're just words". Yeah...those were the days.
    You are putting words into my mouth and choosing to interpret my thoughts in a way that is completely counter to what I am trying to say. No where did I say that people should use slurs.
    You said we used to not be afraid to offend and now we are. So what did you mean? Some of those offensive things were slurs. But we didn't call them slurs. They were just words used to describe a group of people. Like colored. We don't call African Americans colored anymore. But it's not a slur. It's just offensive. 

Differentiating between sex and gender is important. Because gender is fluid and non-binary. It's not just male and female. There's a whole world of in between. Sex simply refers to what you have in between your legs. That's a lot more black and white.
    My point is if you are speaking to someone and they ask the gender of your baby you should not lecture and berate them for using the wrong word. And that person should not be made to feel embarrassed or afraid to ask you more questions because of the word use. My point is that looking down on others for using the wrong word does not support an inclusive culture but instead supports separation and exclusion. If people are made to feel uncomfortable around people who are different from them because they don't speak that person's distinct language, that person may choose not to associate with those people. This restricts learning and understanding. 

Language is fluid. Definitions change and words are created. It is difficult for the average person to be aware of every update. There are very few experts in the subtleties of the English language. Not even people in this thread are all truly versed on the meaning of gender vs sex. You look up gender in any dictionary and it mentions sex. It also mentions society and culture- meaning that gender isn't just defined by the person, but by society as well. 

• Options
    Some people from work and the sister of one and a new therapist came over today bearing gifts, they planned a shower with H permission (encouragement ) to hold it here. Lovely selection of necessaries, enough onesies to fill a laundry basket.

The 2 people I never met , a friend's sister and the therapist new since I stopped work, were not only belly rubbers. They asked weird questions. Like - oh, you're having twins, is that one set you know two, or twins with an s like it will be four but of 2 kinds?
    And - Well if you did not have an ultrasound to find out boy or girl, can your doctor tell from listening if they are identical or not?
    All
    the people except these 2 are in medical or social work fields, so they were choking trying to not laugh.
    When the 6yr old twins from downstairs came in looking for their Mom, The Airhead said "Your Mom said you are twins! That is so exciting! Are you identical twins?"

A little unclear on the meaning of identical.
    Since the BOY is a tall, large frame 70 lb with nearly black hair and brown eyes, and the GIRL a petite 45lb blond and blue.
    After cleaning up the cocoa I blew out my nose...

It really is hard to gracefully deal with such stupidity from someone wearing her college sorority sweater.
  • Options
    I was brought up to use the words gender and sex differently, but in many parts of the country the colloquial usage which is accepted as correct is that gender can be used to describe biological sex.

Before posting I just looked it up in my collegiate edition of Merriam-Webster and it does say one correct usage is gender = of male or female sex.

In hospitals I have worked in, including in the army, sometimes admission and physical exam forms say gender: M or F. And in many states and still some Federal statutes, when they refer to staffing ) care facilities they require same gender staffing in girls dormitories. Bathroom and spa shower rooms same gender staffing, and a host of legal uses still in effect are not talking about gender identity, they are using one of the accepted (for centuries, at least as far back as Shakespeare ) meanings which is male or female by biology.

Shades of meaning in current usage are often drawn between the words sex and gender, but that does not make someone using them as synonyms wrong. Just using a different one of the correct meanings.
  • Options
    SBmini said:
    MagicInk said:
    SBmini said:
    MagicInk said:
    @SBmini so you want to be able to offend people rather then taking a split second to think "How are my words going to impact another human?"....oh yeah I long for the days were people called me a fucking dyke and no one said shit because "they're just words". Yeah...those were the days.
    You are putting words into my mouth and choosing to interpret my thoughts in a way that is completely counter to what I am trying to say. No where did I say that people should use slurs.
    You said we used to not be afraid to offend and now we are. So what did you mean? Some of those offensive things were slurs. But we didn't call them slurs. They were just words used to describe a group of people. Like colored. We don't call African Americans colored anymore. But it's not a slur. It's just offensive. 

Differentiating between sex and gender is important. Because gender is fluid and non-binary. It's not just male and female. There's a whole world of in between. Sex simply refers to what you have in between your legs. That's a lot more black and white.
    My point is if you are speaking to someone and they ask the gender of your baby you should not lecture and berate them for using the wrong word. And that person should not be made to feel embarrassed or afraid to ask you more questions because of the word use. My point is that looking down on others for using the wrong word does not support an inclusive culture but instead supports separation and exclusion. If people are made to feel uncomfortable around people who are different from them because they don't speak that person's distinct language, that person may choose not to associate with those people. This restricts learning and understanding. 

Language is fluid. Definitions change and words are created. It is difficult for the average person to be aware of every update. There are very few experts in the subtleties of the English language. Not even people in this thread are all truly versed on the meaning of gender vs sex. You look up gender in any dictionary and it mentions sex. It also mentions society and culture- meaning that gender isn't just defined by the person, but by society as well. 

Seriously, though, you're the only one in this thread being oversensitive. 

It's appalling that anyone would think it's better to use exclusive words because we've gotten "too sensitive" to be inclusive. Not to mention it's actually incorrect word usage. I mean, if you want to continue to use the words interchangeably, you're free to do so, but it makes you look not only uneducated, but also intolerant of the LGBTQ population. From what I've seen of your posts, you're neither of those things. Why would you want to seem to be? 

• Options
    esstee33 said:
    SBmini said:
    MagicInk said:
    SBmini said:
    MagicInk said:

Seriously, though, you're the only one in this thread being oversensitive. 

It's appalling that anyone would think it's better to use exclusive words because we've gotten "too sensitive" to be inclusive. Not to mention it's actually incorrect word usage. I mean, if you want to continue to use the words interchangeably, you're free to do so, but it makes you look not only uneducated, but also intolerant of the LGBTQ population. From what I've seen of your posts, you're neither of those things. Why would you want to seem to be? 

So you know how I feel now? And have you seen me use the words interchangeably? Because I have not been. My point is clear and simply. One should not look down on another person because they do not have exact precision of the ever changing English language. That is all. That is my point. 
  • Options
    SBmini said:
    So you know how I feel now? And have you seen me use the words interchangeably? Because I have not been. My point is clear and simply. One should not look down on another person because they do not have exact precision of the ever changing English language. That is all. That is my point. 
    If this is truly the only point you are trying to make (though your other posts suggest otherwise), then I don't understand why you felt the need to make said point here. Because no one "looked down upon", "berated", or "lectured" (or any of the other words you have thrown around) anyone else about their incorrect use of the word.

What did happen in this thread is someone being politely corrected, and taking no offense to being corrected; and others asking for further clarification regarding the meanings of the words.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    SBmini said:
    Cool, me neither. I also feel that one should not add mint to chocolate, be a fair-weather sports fan, or wear socks with sandals. Those things are all equally relevant to the topic at hand.

I do fail to realize though how not looking down upon someone with a less-than-precise knowledge of the ever-changing English language has anything to do with praising storefronts in England for wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, and Americans being hyper-sensitive. Must be my misunderstanding of the English language that's gotten me confused as to how that's relevant to your only point, ensuring no one gets berated.

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

$2000 on a stroller? Like for ONE baby? I get that triplet strollers and up are $$$$$ but for ONE kid? Fuck no.

Then again, I bought two car seats at $500 each. So I probably don't have much room to judge. But the seats are awesome and easy to fit on a plane (beast to carry on at 50 pounds) and my girls are still happily rear facing at 5.

I'd totally drop $$$ on a really cool pram like this one. Judge away. I bet it's such a smooth ride

Wait it's $2k and doesn't come with cup holders and a place to shove the diaper bag? Worthless.
    I have no idea what it costs - I didn't throw out that $2k figure. I just know it's fucking fab

That one is actually $4k.

Do you know how much booze you can buy wiht $4K? Fuck that. Mama needs a drink. Sorry baby. My stroller came from a yard sale. I survived.

I am in love with the Bugaboo strollers though. They're in the $1K range. I'm not saying we'll get one, I just like them.

Get a Britax B-Ready instead. Very similar.....
  • Options
    So, fuck everyone who has a "gender-reveal" party. They need to have a "sex- reveal" party!

image   image   image

• Options
    edited January 2015
    So, fuck everyone who has a "gender-reveal" party. They need to have a "sex- reveal" party!
    Nobody ever said fuck the people who accidentally use an inaccurate word.

Honestly though, "gender reveal" is probably pretty accurate in that context. The parents are revealing which gender they'll be portraying the baby as socially. In some cases, it may not even match what the baby's sex is.

But in most cases I'm sure people genuinely don't know the difference (I didn't until recently) and only say "gender" because they think it sounds less naughty than "sex." 

• Options
    I have always told FI that I don't want to know. My mom didnt know with me because I wouldnt show myself on the U/s. And Id love to be surprised. But we'll see what happens in 5 years

• Options
    edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards