Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

FFF

Re: FFF

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    I was also excited at the prospect of a FFF.

The E Board had given me the advice that I should have seating for half of my guests.  So, we were expecting 120, I should have a minimum of 60 chairs during cocktail hour.

I would never expect a cocktail hour to have enough seats for every guest; I would expect folks to mingle. 

I don't think failure to have seats for every guest during a cocktail hour, or for that matter any other time refreshments of any kind are served, promotes mingling.  If anything, it distracts guests because they have to worry about juggling a cup, food, utensils, and napkins with two hands, while perhaps carrying a purse as well.
    I don't think I've ever been to a cocktail hour where I've needed to tote around utensils. I'm sure they exist, but I've never experienced it. I have never really given a chair a second thought during cocktails. Generally, I see older people sitting, but the majority of the guests stand, walk to food stations, visit with people, etc. 

I've also been to a lot of events where there's NO way the cocktail space could accommodate a chair for every person. The reception space can, but the cocktail space can't, and I didn't ever think that was rude. It wasn't until I came here that I even gave the idea any consideration. 
    Being at lots of events where this isn't done doesn't make it considerate and polite to not take into account the difficulties guests have in not being able to sit while drinking and eating their appetizers.  I still think it's better to have someplace everyone can sit.  It doesn't have to be in separate chairs; I've seen benches and sofas, which are fine.  Just as long as there is a place.  I do think it's inconsiderate of guests to crowd them into a space where there isn't room for a place for everyone to sit.  That smacks of bad planning to me.
    STUCK IN BOX
    I don't really know if they're really "crowded" into a space per se. PM me if you want the specific venues I have in mind, but I have never seen enough chairs for every guest in any of these cocktail locations. Plus, even though I kind of mentally lump them together, I really think the apps vs. hors d'oeuvres distinction makes a teeny difference. If you have a little thing that can be eaten in one bite, you're probably going to take it off the tray, throw it in your mouth, and run back to the bar for a drink. A full-blown appetizer would require more effort, and I can see where someone would want a chair for that (although I generally just stand at a cocktail table!). 
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    larrygaga said:
    Even though it's okay to have a kid-free wedding, I think it's stupid. Kids are part of the family, not excrement of family members. I don't even have kids or want them for a very long time and I feel this way. 

You're entitled to feel any way you like.  I'm sorry, but I don't think it's stupid not to want to have kids crying, spitting up, putting things in their mouths that don't belong there, or putting their hands on things that they don't belong on at weddings if that's what you prefer-and not everyone thinks kids, even if they're part of the family, are "cute" or "adorable."

I do think that most kids are, and I love the ones in my family, but sorry, I don't want them at the ceremony or the reception.  364 days out of the year they are the stars of the show.  My wedding is the one day in my life that I want me and my FI to be the stars and not the kids.
    I absolutely adore children, but if FI and I were to invite the children from his family instead of just the adults our guest list would increase by almost 40 people. That means more chairs, more tables, more food... it's just more than we can afford.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    @TheGrimReaper & @ashleyep - I get what you're saying. I've only been a few weddings in my life and either did my own hair or had simple blow out/style done. 

I'm also of the mind that if I've agreed to be in a wedding as a BM all those expenses are mine to shoulder - dress/shoes/beauty/jewelry.  Whatever it might be.  It would never occur to me that the bride should pay for any of it.

Just different mind sets.

Well, I agree if you choose to do your H/M, then it's on you.  If Bride requires it, it's on her.  I didn't ask any of my BMs to get their hair and makeup professionally done.  One got her hair done (not makeup) and the other two did everything themselves.  They all looked gorgeous! I'm in my cousins wedding in a few months and I'm getting my hair done (I'm incapable of styling it myself) but I can't decide whether or not to get my makeup done. I think I can do it myself (I hope)
    Even the wedding I was in were the bride required, I still never thought that she should pay for it (and she didnt').  This was years before I came to TK and never thought anything of it.  I just always assumed those were the expenses I would incur having accepted being a BM.

• Options
    Jen4948 said:

The E Board had given me the advice that I should have seating for half of my guests.  So, we were expecting 120, I should have a minimum of 60 chairs during cocktail hour.

I would never expect a cocktail hour to have enough seats for every guest; I would expect folks to mingle. 

I don't think failure to have seats for every guest during a cocktail hour, or for that matter any other time refreshments of any kind are served, promotes mingling.  If anything, it distracts guests because they have to worry about juggling a cup, food, utensils, and napkins with two hands, while perhaps carrying a purse as well.
    I never said it promotes mingling, I said that's what I expect.  And I have never been to a cocktail event of any kind (wedding or otherwise) that had enough seating for every guest. 

FTR - I checked that on here as well. The ladies of the bygone E Board who will tell you even more bluntly than they do today how things are; endorsed having enough seats for 1/2 my guests during cocktail hour.

• Options
    sofakingmadsofakingmad member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    I think the bride paying for the H/M is kind of a know your crowd thing.

Like I said before, I will always opt to have my H/M done for a wedding and I normally will even have my nails done, a massage, possibly a facial.  I love pampering.  and since I'm already expecting to pay for it myself, I LOVE when the bride surprises me.  I will take that over any gift ever.  I really hate getting stuff from brides.  I am a very simple person and I'm working on getting rid of stuff and to get something from a bride that I now feel like I HAVE to keep gives me this guilt feeling when I give it away or donate it.

And honestly, here on TK, we always say that you should get your BM something specifically for them and you know that someone would love their H/M for a gift, then that's what you should do.  But the same goes if you know a BM doesn't care for that.  

Edited:  I removed "if you are a good bride" because it sounded condescending and that's not how I meant it.
    sexy, harry styles, best song ever, cute, beautiful, asdjglñlñ, marcel
  • Options
    @dragonblood13 - Excellent point.  It really is a know your crowd kind of thing.

I still have trouble with the "your gift is something for my wedding", but I'm definitely able to see the other point of view on this.

• Options
    Jen4948 said:

I never said it promotes mingling, I said that's what I expect.  And I have never been to a cocktail event of any kind (wedding or otherwise) that had enough seating for every guest. 

FTR - I checked that on here as well. The ladies of the bygone E Board who will tell you even more bluntly than they do today how things are; endorsed having enough seats for 1/2 my guests during cocktail hour.
    It doesn't fucking matter whether or not you have been to a cocktail hour that had enough seating for every guest.  Neither have I!  But every cocktail hour I have been to has had guests feeling frazzled by having to juggle too many items with only two hands, and I think it's basic courtesy to provide each one, whether it's cocktail hour or the main reception, with a place they can sit and consume their refreshments, so I advocate it even though I've never experienced that.  Not only that, having enough seating for every guest doesn't prevent mingling from taking place either.  People are still free to get up and talk to whomever they'd like to talk to...and it's not up to you whom they talk to or not.  If they choose not to "mingle" but only to speak to the people they're already acquainted with, and only a subset of those people at that, it's not something you have any control over.
  • Options
    Things I personally give zero fucks about:
    Particular invitation wording, like "half past four" vs. "half after four," or "honor of your presence" vs. "pleasure of your company." I understand why people do care, but I just do not.

Seating at cocktail hour. You go out to a bar on a Saturday night, about half the people are standing. Same at any cocktail event, be it work or charity or whatever. Not a big damn deal, IMHO. There shouldn't be fork and knife food at a cocktail hour. 

PPDs AS LONG AS they're communicated as such, are properly hosted, and are for somewhat of a legitimate reason. My BFF celebrates 3 weddings - courthouse ceremony, a stateside PPD to celebrate with friends who couldn't make the trip to her home country, and then her Catholic ceremony at her home church with her family. Whateva whateva. We knew what it was, and had a damn good time anyway, and I still paid the however many grand to be her bridesmaid at her foreign wedding even though "she was already married."

Gaps that are 2 hours or less, AS LONG AS they're not in the middle of nowhere, i.e. I can find a bar with some chicken fingers and a strong 7&7. They're not my favorite, but I'm not going to condemn someone for it.

Hating on hating on people who wear all white, only because COME ON that's the oldest rule in the book. "You had one job." No it's not the end of the world, but I think it's ok to be irked about that. I notice what people wear, and sometimes it bothers me and I judge them - inside my own head. I'm never going to give direction on what to wear or say anything to them about it (only in my post-every-event bitch sesh with my sisters).

So yeah... I get being offended by these things, but IMO... there are just far better things in the world to get upset about. These aren't going to ruin my day. A cash bar on the other hand... :-p

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

It doesn't fucking matter whether or not you have been to a cocktail hour that had enough seating for every guest.  Neither have I!  But every cocktail hour I have been to has had guests feeling frazzled by having to juggle too many items with only two hands, and I think it's basic courtesy to provide each one, whether it's cocktail hour or the main reception, with a place they can sit and consume their refreshments, so I advocate it even though I've never experienced that.  Not only that, having enough seating for every guest doesn't prevent mingling from taking place either.  People are still free to get up and talk to whomever they'd like to talk to...and it's not up to you whom they talk to or not.  If they choose not to "mingle" but only to speak to the people they're already acquainted with, and only a subset of those people at that, it's not something you have any control over.
    @Jen4948 Lighten the fuck up, jeez.  Overreact much?  

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    larrygaga said:
    Even though it's okay to have a kid-free wedding, I think it's stupid. Kids are part of the family, not excrement of family members. I don't even have kids or want them for a very long time and I feel this way. 

You're entitled to feel any way you like.  I'm sorry, but I don't think it's stupid not to want to have kids crying, spitting up, putting things in their mouths that don't belong there, or putting their hands on things that they don't belong on at weddings if that's what you prefer-and not everyone thinks kids, even if they're part of the family, are "cute" or "adorable."

I do think that most kids are, and I love the ones in my family, but sorry, I don't want them at the ceremony or the reception.  364 days out of the year they are the stars of the show.  My wedding is the one day in my life that I want me and my FI to be the stars and not the kids.
    Don't say sorry for stating your opinion!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

@Jen4948 Lighten the fuck up, jeez.  Overreact much?  
    No.  I won't "lighten the fuck up, jeez."  I stand by my opinion.   Did you happen to notice the title or purpose of this thread?  Why the fuck should I do so if you don't have to and no one else has to? 

The fact that you've never experienced a cocktail hour with seating for everyone doesn't mean 1) that there shouldn't be seats for everyone or 2) that people will mingle if there are not enough seats or that they won't if there are enough seats for everyone.
  • Options
    JFC - Why are you getting so riled about this?  You said yourself you've never been to a cocktail event that had seating for everyone...why is my opinion about so objectionable when you experience the same thing.

And I will clarify AGAIN in small words for you - I never said lack of seats was implicit (oh wait, I said small words).  I never said lack of seats equal mingling.  I said that is what I, me, no one else, expects at a cocktail event - mingling.

Perhaps you should read before you start jumping up and down about YOUR opinion. 

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    JFC - Why are you getting so riled about this?  You said yourself you've never been to a cocktail event that had seating for everyone...why is my opinion about so objectionable when you experience the same thing.

And I will clarify AGAIN in small words for you - I never said lack of seats was implicit (oh wait, I said small words).  I never said lack of seats equal mingling.  I said that is what I, me, no one else, expects at a cocktail event - mingling.

Perhaps you should read before you start jumping up and down about YOUR opinion. 

What's objectionable to me about not having enough seating at a cocktail hour is exactly what I've said all along-it means that I and everyone else there have to juggle napkins and/or plates of food, drinks, and utensils while standing up in dress shoes, sometimes with high heels.  I'm definitely uncomfortable and too distracted to mingle, and I suspect other guests are too.  Having experienced that kind of discomfort definitely doesn't make me feel "it's no big deal" or that it's okay to keep doing it.  And the fact that I have to keep experiencing it again and again makes it all the more annoying, because it's bad hosting...just as people who think cash bars are okay because that's all they've ever experienced are endorsing bad hosting.

And knock off the patronizing.  I read, and I don't need small words or other being talked down to.  The bolded was not necessary and does not score you any points other than as someone who can't argue without being snide and childish.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

Why are you being so combative?  This thread was started as a sort of Unpopular Opinions thread, and the non-100% seating at cocktail hour thing was the first thing posted.

Chill out.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It was also established that this is no way a true FFF thread since that's not allowed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

Why are you being so combative?  This thread was started as a sort of Unpopular Opinions thread, and the non-100% seating at cocktail hour thing was the first thing posted.

Chill out.
    I am chilled out!  I know this is an unpopular opinions thread.  Unfortunately, other people are picking fights with me with their "I've never seen X-what's the big deal?" attitudes.  I'm not the only one who would prefer it if there were seats for everyone during cocktail hours, but for some reason, I seem to be the fucking target of hostility and patronizing by those who disagree.
  • Options
    I've never seen gumdrops fall out of the sky but damn if I wouldn't love it. I think we can all agree on that. Just because something isn't typically done or hasn't been seen before doesn't mean some people wouldn't find it amazeballs.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Lolo8383 said:

So yeah... I get being offended by these things, but IMO... there are just far better things in the world to get upset about. These aren't going to ruin my day. A cash bar on the other hand... :-p
    ^ This is why this is silly:
    Lolo8383 said:

Hating on hating on people who wear all white, only because COME ON that's the oldest rule in the book. "You had one job." No it's not the end of the world, but I think it's ok to be irked about that. I notice what people wear, and sometimes it bothers me and I judge them - inside my own head. I'm never going to give direction on what to wear or say anything to them about it (only in my post-every-event bitch sesh with my sisters).

Plus I don't believe that it actually ever was a legit rule, lol.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    edited April 2014
    PrettyGirlLost said: Lolo8383 said:
    So yeah... I get being offended by these things, but IMO... there are just far better things in the world to get upset about. These aren't going to ruin my day. A cash bar on the other hand... :-p ^ This is why this is silly:
    Lolo8383 said:

*BUT SERIOUSLY, why does the box keep disappearing today?!* That's fair. But all I said was I wasn't on board with hating on the people who do get upset about it. The double-ness wasn't a typo. :) I think if that's the thing someone wants to get upset about, we shouldn't get on
    their case. As long as they're not saying anything rude to the (potential) white-wearers. 

• Options
    lolo883 said:
    Lolo8383 said:

Lolo8383 said:

*BUT SERIOUSLY, why does the box keep disappearing today?!*
    That's fair. But all I said was I wasn't on board with hating on the people who do get upset about it. The double-ness wasn't a typo. :) I think if that's the thing someone wants to get upset about, we shouldn't get on their case. As long as they're not saying anything rude to the (potential) white-wearers.  I understood what your original comment was.

No one was hating on people who judge other people for wearing white to weddings. 

My original comments were that it is time for that double standard to stop.  Because if we are going to tell brides on here that they can't tell their guests what to wear, then we need to stop judging guests for wearing white.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

lolo883 said:

Lolo8383 said:

Lolo8383 said:

*BUT SERIOUSLY, why does the box keep disappearing today?!*

That's fair. But all I said was I wasn't on board with hating on the people who do get upset about it. The double-ness wasn't a typo. :) I think if that's the thing someone wants to get upset about, we shouldn't get on their case. As long as they're not saying anything rude to the (potential) white-wearers. 

I understood what your original comment was.

No one was hating on people who judge other people for wearing white to weddings. 

My original comments were that it is time for that double standard to stop.  Because if we are going to tell brides on here that they can't tell their guests what to wear, then we need to stop judging guests for wearing white.

Maybe not in this thread, but in general, yeah they do. And I guess I don't see the harm in side-eyeing it as long as they don't say anything. I will never forget the guy that wore overalls and no shirt to a family friend's funeral and I don't feel bad for judging him about it. Will I care if anyone wears white to my wedding? Probably not. Will I get more upset if someone says "I can't believe they did that?" Nope.

• Options
    Hope I'm not one of the haters referenced upthread! I just think of myself as something of a knowledgable source on black tie/white tie events.
  • Options
    @fionahalliwell if that's your real full name please PM @knotporscha and have her change it to something that's not. Long story. Safety first!

• Options
    I hope none of you honestly thought we could have a topic like this without someone getting upset???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @lolo883 thanks for the concern...neither is actually my real name. Anyone get the last name? :)
  • Options
    @fionahalliwell - isn't that the name of the girls mother in Charmed?

• Options
    I thought the Mom's name was Patricia.

• Options

I think you're right.  It's been ages since I watched it (even reruns).

• Options

I think you're right.  It's been ages since I watched it (even reruns).
    My dog watches it everyday when I leave for work since I tend to leave TNT on for her a lot.  Unless there is a marathon of Too Cute! on Animal Planet and then she would rather watch that :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards