Chit Chat

Breastfeeding controversy in my town. What say ye? UPDATED with links to the articles

Re: Breastfeeding controversy in my town. What say ye? UPDATED with links to the articles

• doeydo said:
    Above, PPs mentioned how women can;t just walk around topless because it is against the law.  Yet another reason I am glad to live in Ontario, Canada.  It is perfectly legal for a woman to remove her top in public if she wants to, the same way a man can.  I have only seen a couple of women do so, but it is good to know that women can if they chose to do so.
    That's priceless lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kaos16 said:
    Yeah, if the lady was BFing in her car, I don't see why the cop made a big deal of it.  If he was uncomfortable talking to her like that, he should have just waited until she was done and got out of the car.

• doeydo said:

Above, PPs mentioned how women can;t just walk around topless because it is against the law.  Yet another reason I am glad to live in Ontario, Canada.  It is perfectly legal for a woman to remove her top in public if she wants to, the same way a man can.  I have only seen a couple of women do so, but it is good to know that women can if they chose to do so.

That's priceless lol.

Love that! I the US, it's actually legal to go topless in most states. We just *think* we can't.
  • banana468 said:
    doeydo said:
    That's priceless lol.
    Love that! I the US, it's actually legal to go topless in most states. We just *think* we can't.
    Well now I know what I'm doing with my afternoon.

First stop, @shrekspeare's house ;)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Stuck in a fucking box.

@shrekspeare, I have two, but they're bars not rings. Can I come to the topless party?
  • MagicInk said:
    Stuck in a fucking box.

@shrekspeare, I have two, but they're bars not rings. Can I come to the topless party?
    Just don't bring your baby.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MagicInk said:
    Stuck in a fucking box.

Just don't bring your baby.  
    I have bars as well! Yes bars, no babies. There will be alcohol involved!
    It's cool, I don't got a baby. So if I showed up with one that'd be weird. And mean I might have just committed a felony. Plus FI is in charge of all nursing if we go that route for a kid.
  • kaos16 said:
    Yeah, if the lady was BFing in her car, I don't see why the cop made a big deal of it.  If he was uncomfortable talking to her like that, he should have just waited until she was done and got out of the car.
    Um, cops have other things to do and can't always just wait around until someone is ready to give their statement, especially when that person is the one who called them out for help.

It would be like calling a plumber in an emergency and when they arrive you tell them they have to wait to fix your sink because you are doing dishes.  No, that is not how that works.
    I just laughed.  The police came to search my cousin's  room in my uncle's house. Cousin was over 18, was already in custody and gave permission of the search.    My uncle didn't want to let them in until he finished his dinner.   A 2 block area and been evacuated for the search.  All the major news cameras were there (actually that is how I found out what was going on).   He didnt care they searched the room, he was just pissed they came a his dinner time (which was like 4:30pm) and wanted to just finish his dinner.

They found 19 pipe bombs and stuff to make more bombs in cousin's room.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Holy crap Lynda!
  • That is crazy but at the same time hilarious Lynda!

• OMG! @lyndausvi that is crazy!
  • Well said uncle and cousin were/are crazy.    This was IDK 19-20 years ago?   About 6 months before OKC bombing.    Uncle died a few years back, haven't seen or spoken to cousin in 15 years (I missed the funeral)?  I'm not sure I would recognize him if he was standing right next to me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

• MagicInk said:
    On the subject of cops in general, I have two favorite groups of people to deal with my job, bikers and cops. I've done work on both and both groups are always extreamly poliet, well mannered, and none have ever treated me differently for being a female in a male dominated job. 

I have a problem with assholes. I do not have a problem with cops. I will say that I try to avoid interactions with cops outside of my job but that's more, I don't want to go to jail and less anything to do with them (other then their ability to send me to jail).
    You mean the kind that ride Harley's right?  Not cyclists?

I fucking can't stand cyclists!  I have been nearly run over while walking by hipsters on bikes too many times than I can count.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Two points:

1) I don't think women are offended by the sight of a breast per se, it's the bodily function aspect of it that grosses some people out a little.  I fall in the middle on this.  I don't care if you want to BF in the park, at a coffee shop etc, but I would be grossed out if you did it at the dinner table.  Breast milk can also carry diseases, etc. so I think this is where some people get squeamish.  

2) If people think there should be no problem openly exposing boobs in the public for BFing, then why are they laws against toplessness?  Would you be okay if a woman who was hot on a 95 degree day decided to take off her shirt and bra and walk around topless because she felt uncomfortable in her clothes?
    Good point. I actually think it's absurd that women are required to cover their breasts.
    I don't.  I don't neccessarily want to see your boobs.  I think women of all shapes and sizes are gorgeous and boobs are amazing and I wish I had them, but I don't necessarily want to see you topless.

I don't want to see hairy ass dudes walking around topless either.  And I sure as hell don't want to see men walking around with their schlongs hanging out. . . that would be the next argument- Well if it's ok for women to walk around topless now. . .

I don't care if a women is BFing in public, but it makes me feel of less of a voyeur if she is discreet about it and covers up. . . and 99% of the women I have seen BFing in public already do this.

I also agree that I would never want to BF in a public restroom, nor would I ever think it was ok to ask another woman to do so.

And PS the "you" I was referring to earlier in this post is the general "you" and not grumbledore.  I do not presume to make any statements about her breasts!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• That is crazy but at the same time hilarious Lynda!
    Holy shit hun!

• Two points:

1) I don't think women are offended by the sight of a breast per se, it's the bodily function aspect of it that grosses some people out a little.  I fall in the middle on this.  I don't care if you want to BF in the park, at a coffee shop etc, but I would be grossed out if you did it at the dinner table.  Breast milk can also carry diseases, etc. so I think this is where some people get squeamish.  

2) If people think there should be no problem openly exposing boobs in the public for BFing, then why are they laws against toplessness?  Would you be okay if a woman who was hot on a 95 degree day decided to take off her shirt and bra and walk around topless because she felt uncomfortable in her clothes?
    Good point. I actually think it's absurd that women are required to cover their breasts.
    I don't.  I don't neccessarily want to see your boobs.  I think women of all shapes and sizes are gorgeous and boobs are amazing and I wish I had them, but I don't necessarily want to see you topless.

I don't want to see hairy ass dudes walking around topless either.  And I sure as hell don't want to see men walking around with their schlongs hanging out. . . that would be the next argument- Well if it's ok for women to walk around topless now. . .

I don't care if a women is BFing in public, but it makes me feel of less of a voyeur if she is discreet about it and covers up. . . and 99% of the women I have seen BFing in public already do this.

I also agree that I would never want to BF in a public restroom, nor would I ever think it was ok to ask another woman to do so.

And PS the "you" I was referring to earlier in this post is the general "you" and not grumbledore.  I do not presume to make any statements about her breasts!
    I don't want to see 99.9% of men shirtless either, but they have the right to be and so should I.

Also, a breast is not a penis.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Two points:

I don't want to see 99.9% of men shirtless either, but they have the right to be and so should I.

We're going to Barcelona on our HM, which has topless beaches... I might just have to do it to say I did and the world didn't end, nobody got a disease, lost an eye, fondled me without my consent, etc. You can be damn sure I'll look a hell of a lot better doing it than some hairy dudes.

• MagicInk said:
    On the subject of cops in general, I have two favorite groups of people to deal with my job, bikers and cops. I've done work on both and both groups are always extreamly poliet, well mannered, and none have ever treated me differently for being a female in a male dominated job. 

I have a problem with assholes. I do not have a problem with cops. I will say that I try to avoid interactions with cops outside of my job but that's more, I don't want to go to jail and less anything to do with them (other then their ability to send me to jail).
    You mean the kind that ride Harley's right?  Not cyclists?

I fucking can't stand cyclists!  I have been nearly run over while walking by hipsters on bikes too many times than I can count.
    Yes Harley riders! Real bikers. I ride too (a Harley), so I'm biased, but we are awesome people.

Hipster are annoying and all want the same damn tattoo that I have to cover up in 3 years anyways.
  • I love bikers. They are some of my best customers. I've worked at bike rallies before, and the guys and gals there were super respectful and mostly kept to their own groups. Don't touch their bikes unless they say it's okay, and there were no problems.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Two points:

Yep, but the reason women can't walk around topless and men can't walk around with their schlongs hanging out are the same- it's illegal and deemed indecent.

Although supposedly it isn't actually illegal for women to walk around topless in same states. . . someone posted this a few posts up.

• Point is, why is it indecent?  It's stupid.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Point is, why is it indecent?  It's stupid.
    I don't think it is, though *shrugs*

I won't crash the topless party at Shrek's and cat call you all, though ;-)

• edited April 2014
    I think it's more of a sanitation issue, rather than indecency, with vages and schlongs (and corresponding butts) than it is with top halves. Even in remote African villages (or others) where the women go topless, with or without kidlets latched on, you don't see the guys walking around freeballing. They all still wear some kind of loincloth.

• kkitkat79kkitkat79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    kaos16 said:
    Um, cops have other things to do and can't always just wait around until someone is ready to give their statement, especially when that person is the one who called them out for help.

It would be like calling a plumber in an emergency and when they arrive you tell them they have to wait to fix your sink because you are doing dishes.  No, that is not how that works.

I think part of being a police officer is knowing how to provide the service of "serve and protect" to the satisfaction of those he "serves and protects". There are so many better ways the police officer could've handled that situation other than saying "put that away" and "I'm not going to ask you again". And yes, he could've waited for five minutes because that's his job. That woman (if she's paying taxes) is paying his salary. And that training they are getting is ridiculous. The only option is for them to ask the mother to cover up. What if the baby won't nurse under covers? That training is build with one and only one thought in mind, the comfort of the officer, not the comfort of the public they are supposed to serve. Oh, and it's not like doing dishes at all unless you are comparing the need of the dish to be washed to the need of the baby to be fed.
    Anniversary
  • kaos16 said:

I think part of being a police officer is knowing how to provide the service of "serve and protect" to the satisfaction of those he "serves and protects". There are so many better ways the police officer could've handled that situation other than saying "put that away" and "I'm not going to ask you again". And yes, he could've waited for five minutes because that's his job. That woman (if she's paying taxes) is paying his salary. And that training they are getting is ridiculous. The only option is for them to ask the mother to cover up. What if the baby won't nurse under covers? That training is build with one and only one thought in mind, the comfort of the officer, not the comfort of the public they are supposed to serve. Oh, and it's not like doing dishes at all unless you are comparing the need of the dish to be washed to the need of the baby to be fed.
    I'm sorry but you are kidding me with this shit right? If the woman called the police then it must have been an emergency. And when they respond to the call their job is to get interviews done and get to the bottom of the disturbance to sort things out so that they can then get back out on the road to respond to other calls. They should not have to wait for someone to finish breastfeeding her child, or someone to finish their dinner, or someone to finish folding some shirts. When you call the police you should have the respect to follow their orders and speak to them in a timely manner. 

And the training is not built for their comfort. Like many other people have said on here, that training is to protect them from dumb ass perv charges being brought against them because the woman in question may not like how they handled the situation if it didn't end in her favor. 

And also who really even knows if he said those words to her in that manner. For all we know she could be making it up or taking the words out of context to help her story. 

But it seriously irritates the fuck out of me that so many people are ready to blame the cop in any situation because god forbid people take responsibility for their own actions.
    Did you read the aticle she posted with the update? I would suggest that some go back and read it because the story she told us is totally different from the article. The cop was a dick, and there was no reason for him to tell her to 'put "that" away'. Totally uncalled for...
  • aleighc3 said:
    kaos16 said:

I'm sorry but you are kidding me with this shit right? If the woman called the police then it must have been an emergency. And when they respond to the call their job is to get interviews done and get to the bottom of the disturbance to sort things out so that they can then get back out on the road to respond to other calls. They should not have to wait for someone to finish breastfeeding her child, or someone to finish their dinner, or someone to finish folding some shirts. When you call the police you should have the respect to follow their orders and speak to them in a timely manner. 

And the training is not built for their comfort. Like many other people have said on here, that training is to protect them from dumb ass perv charges being brought against them because the woman in question may not like how they handled the situation if it didn't end in her favor. 

And also who really even knows if he said those words to her in that manner. For all we know she could be making it up or taking the words out of context to help her story. 

But it seriously irritates the fuck out of me that so many people are ready to blame the cop in any situation because god forbid people take responsibility for their own actions.
    Did you read the aticle she posted with the update? I would suggest that some go back and read it because the story she told us is totally different from the article. The cop was a dick, and there was no reason for him to tell her to 'put "that" away'. Totally uncalled for...

If she was telling the truth. I read the article and then I googled it and watched some interviews of her. I think she is exaggerating.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards