Wedding Reception Forum

The dreaded "gap"

Re: The dreaded "gap"

• We have planned a rather large gap between our ceremony (1:30pm at a Catholic Church, the 4pm slot was already taken) and reception. The reception is at the zoo and we can't use it until closing time, 5pm.  Many of our guests are local, so the break means they can go home in between. For out of town guests, we put on our wedding website several places to visit and things to do in the city during the 3hr break. We've also offered that if any of our guests want to visit the zoo before the reception, we'd get them an admission ticket.  It's easier because the ceremony and reception are in the city, where there are lots of things to do in the meantime, many of which are within walking distance of the ceremony and hotel.

At first I was really concerned about that gap, but everyone in the wedding (and especially my photographer) have told us that having that break time is a great idea. In addition, we don't have to worry about being late to the cocktail hour or reception and we get to take pictures in some awesome spots around the city. 

I know for sure that my family and his will enjoy the extra time to chat during the day, since we are scattered around the country. As for the out of town friends who might feel lost in that gap period, I'm going to make sure they know who else from their 'group' (e.g. college friends, etc.) is also coming so they can get in touch if they want to make plans. 

In conclusion, we decided to have this gap because of venue restrictions, but have embraced it for our own sanity that day and we have worked to make it as amenable to our guests as possible. Yes, it is nontraditional, but I do not think it is rude or outrageous. So far, the only antagonism towards such a gap I've heard has been in the comments here, not from anyone we've talked to personally. 
    Are you having a wedding reception or a child's birthday party?

You had choices -- choose a different date or choose a different reception venue. Instead, you're choosing to be selfish and put YOUR WANTS ahead of your guests' comfort.

And, btw, your friends are lying to you. NO ONE is happy about a gap that long and being trotted all over God's green acre to pose for photos. 

I have been a BM five times. I have lied to every single one of my bride friends.

'Oh, sure, I LOVE the BM dress!'
    'NO, that dress doesn't make your ass look like it needs its own zip code.'
    'You're right, pastel orange really IS the new black and goes with everything and looks good on everyone.'
    'Of course I don't mind getting up at 5.30 a.m. for a hair appointment at 6 for photos at 8 for your 10 a.m. wedding.'

People will lie to their friends in an effort to preserve their own sanity and because we all know that it's not like telling a bridezilla the truth will do much good anyway.

I agree we did have choices - have it on that day and time or have it without my sister and my fiance's sister present. I'd rather have my family with me. 

We are making the best of an unfortunate gap and trusting that our family and friends are capable adults. I just wanted to share how we are making it as less an inconvenience as possible and suggesting that is possible in the right cases (e.g. big city with lots to do instead of middle of nowhere). I love my friends and family and cannot wait to celebrate our special day with them. 
  • KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    tcnoble said:
    Is it time for puppies yet? And wine.
    Puppies are typically reserved for DDs, but I think an exception can and should be made... And after reading this, I'm now looking forward to my dentist appointment tomorrow. Yeesh.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    This has become the thread that never ends because there are too many people being defensive or hostile on being told that what they want to do is rude.

Folks, nobody has ever offered any justification for a gap that makes it acceptable even slightly.  Stop wasting our time by calling us "bullies" or accusing us of "attacking you" when we bring that to your attention.  And for the love of all that's holy, if you're planning for a gap, lose the gap.
  • I don't get why people keep saying get off of here and enjoy your husbands. Do you want to know what my H is doing right now? He's raiding in WoW. I don't raid in WoW, I just raise battle pets. So.......you ever try to cuddle and talk with someone while raiding? It doesn't go very well and both parties (and the whole guild) end up unhappy. 

So. I have a little me time, which is spent between various things, H gets raid time, everyone (in the guild) is happy.

Anniversary
  • courtneyand john2014: I truly do NOT understand the nasty tones in the many replies posted. Guests at a ceremony and a reception are simply that...guests. Of course they will be taken care of and entertained accordingly; however, it is still the bride and groom's big day. As a whole, brides want what they want and make sacrifices when it comes to comfortability for those attending. If someone cannot understand a 45(ish) minute gap between the ceremony and the reception then they are well within their right to not attend one or both. Yes, as brides we are honored when someone takes the time to share our special day. Yes, we want everyone to have a fabulous time. No, we are not going to please everyone on this day --- because it's not THEIR wedding day. If you can't manage to entertain yourself or enjoy time with others attending the festivities then you need not attend. You just show others how selfish and unreasonable you are as a person when you complain about the situation later or demand that it's the couple's duty to properly spoil you on their wedding day. As a guest, you should feel honored to be invited (and judging by the nasty tone of oh so many responses, I'm going to suggest that some of you be REALLY honored that someone overlooked your generally holier-than-thou attitude and dropped an invitation in the mail for you) So, courtneyandjohn2014, have your gap if that's what you need to make things work for you, smile and enjoy your special day!
    Why in the hell should I feel honored to be invited to a wedding?  Seriously, I don't get this mentality.

It's just a fucking wedding.  I'm not being invited to a state dinner to be the personal guest of honor of the President of the United States- that might be an honor.  I'm not being invited to accept the Nobel Prize for molecular biology- that is an honor.

It's just a fucking wedding.  Will I be excited to be invited, sure.  But not honored.

You brides really need to GTFO yourselves if you seriously think your guests feel honored to be invited to your wedding.  For real, that is some serious Kanye-grade entitled mentality and the root of all your issues with understanding etiquette.

YOU, the Bride, should be HONORED by the presence of your guests.  That's how it actually works.
    As a bride-to-be, I now understand just how expensive weddings can be per person. The fact that you invited me and are spending $50-200 just for me to be there, heck yeah, I'm honored to be on your guest list. And excited of course. And I certainly would not take it for granted or assume it was my perogative to be invited to your wedding. 
    As a bride-to-be, I am also honored by the fact that people I invite want to take the time and energy to spend their day celebrating with me and my fiance. So the humble pie can be consumed from both sides.  
  • A gap is not rude at all. But to make the gap less "inconvenient" I would suggest a gap long enough for the guests to do something...anything. Otherwise, it's just a matter of sitting and waiting. The wedding day should be enjoyed by all, but it should be as less stressful for the couple as possible. Since I live in a farming community, we are having our wedding early afternoon and reception/dinner/dance in the evening. This way all our guests can make it and it gives them the chance to get sitters for the kids, without having their entire day tied up. Forget "protocol" and do what works best for you and your guests.
  • Butterflyz419Butterflyz419 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    This is from the OP:
    "Second -- I want to respond to some of the "regulars" who are complaining about us being "special snowflakes" or trying to match some "vision." Let me explain my "vision:"

- My vision is one in which I couldn't have the wedding day I wanted -- or even a date remotely close to it -- because of a bunch of other family obligations that cropped up and forced us to abandon the idea of a fall wedding.

- My vision is one in which I planned my entire wedding in less than 6 months because my dad is dying of a terminal illness and I'd kind of like him to be at the wedding (God willing).

- It's a vision where I gave up on having a casual outdoor ceremony because my fiance is a devout Catholic who wanted a traditional Mass and I wanted to respect that.

- And it's a vision where I recognize that many of our guests are older relatives who don't want to wait until 7 or 8 p.m. for dinner because that's probably when they're going home."

This is the response:
    "OP, if you are not going to listen to the experienced ladies of TK then perhaps it is you who should leave. This whole thread is a catastrophe. Good luck with your gaps, ladies. Hopefully your guests don't get so pissed off waiting on your speshul-ness that they conveniently forget your gift at home. That's what I would be doing, especially if I heard this attitude. Just sayin'."

I don't think it's the OP who has her priorities out of whack. And did you know it's poor etiquette to bring a gift to a wedding? You're supposed to send it in advance, but I guess the convenience of your hosts is just none of your concern is it? But sure, the bride definitely deserves it. Her fault right? She was so immature as to have an hour gap you had no choice but to withhold a gift and your goodwill. She's the rude one and you're off the hook, better to stay home and drink alone then put up with that bs amirite? < insert sassy "ain't nobody got time for that" gif here >
  • Here's the thing: couples put a lot of thought into every detail of the wedding, reception and dance. Sometimes (maybe not always) gaps work best, for whatever reason. If the guests are informed beforehand and respond through RSVP which events they are attending, then they are fully aware of the "gap" and it can no longer be considered rude. 
    I believe in being considerate and a well advance notice of the "gap" is considerate. Friends and family will understand your reasons and they will happily attend whatever events they can. Stop worrying about protocol and just do what works best for you and your guests. Best Wishes!! :)
  • Guys did we fill the bingo card?

• Honestly....do whatever you think is best for you. Reality is that some people on here have ridiculous views and opinions which is completely up to them and they will not be attending your wedding nor do they care about it. My ceremony is at a church at 3:30 and I will have about a 45 min to 1 hour gap between. It is either that or a ceremony at 7:30pm where guests won't eat dinner until 10pm. There are no other time choices as some others state here, that you can choose to do your ceremony at a different time, a church has its set times and they can't be changed.

As long as it is stated in your invitation your guests can choose to attend or not. Those who care about yours and your soon to be husband's day will be there and be happy. Don't stress about it. It's perfectly reasonable and everyone will have a great time!
  • Frankly, the way I see it is that it's rude for guests to complain about there being a gap in between. I'm sorry, the last time I checked I was the one paying thousands of dollars for a photographer not to mention the free meal and alcohol you're about to enjoy so why exactly are you complaining!? It's rude of me to want to ensure I get the photographs I paid for when I want them? I have to go off of your time schedule? I think not. 
  • Ok, I'm going to end up being the martyr for the "unpopular opinion", but, honestly? 
    I have never been able to see where the "gap" became such a horrible, dramatic thing. 
    At my wedding, I want people around me who are close enough to me to not be offended by stupid rules like that. The rules that make everything hard. What on earth is wrong with giving your guests a minute to collect themselves, put their stuff away, etc. before heading to the reception, especially if it makes the entire wedding go more smoothly? 
    I mean, ok, maybe it's a cultural thing. Half of my family is french, and almost every wedding I've ever been to was for one french cousin or other...and there is ALWAYS a gap between the ceremony and reception. Everybody would change their shoes, grab a sweater if the weather had changed, drop off their jackets if it happened to get hot, and patiently wait for the time it was supposed to start, because hey, we're all happy they're getting married, so what the hell is the big deal with (OMG!) having to WAIT a little bit? I mean because we might be (oh NO!)
    inconvenienced!? And on someone dear to me's wedding day.! 
    I realize that yes, this CAN create inconveniences, and maybe I'm totally missing something, maybe there is in fact something unbelievably horrible and unfair about a gap, but, 
    just my opinion, it seems kind of...self-centered to get so worked up about a few hours gap. "Rude"? When did that get decided? 
    Just my thoughts. 
  • Simky906Simky906 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    I have never attended a wedding that had a gap, so if I attended one that did I would be quite confused. 

Now, I'm assuming that if I'm attending your wedding, it's because I love you, so I would put up with that. And if it was only 30 or 45 minutes I don't think I would mind that much. But if it stretches on much past an hour I'm going to get progressively more annoyed and possibly even hangry. (You won't like me very much when I get hangry.) 

And when I'm sharing your wedding with other folks, you know what I'm going to say? It was a beautiful ceremony, the food was awesome and the dancing was so much fun! If it wasn't for that gap it pretty much would have be fantastic! 

I get that many of you have never been to a gap-less wedding and that's the norm. But why not have the most super amazing wedding ever, buck the norm, and not have a gap? Will a gap make all your friends and family hate you? No, they will put up with it because they love you and it's not the end of the world. But if you don't have a gap, they will be even happier and enjoy your day just a little bit more. 

I know that I want the guests at my wedding to have the best day possible and I'm sure that's true for everyone else on this board. So please, if you can in any way avoid having your guests kick their heels, do so.
  • THE RULES:

1. Zero Tolerance for Bullies (aka- how to get banned)

We know you are all adults, and no, we’re not going to ban you for using profanity, sarcasm or sharing your opinion in conversation. However, we are going to ban you if you’re malicious towards another user. 

Malicious, petty and/or personal attacks of any kind are unacceptable, so please be mindful of the way you address and discuss others.

Personal attacks include, but are not limited to: starting a thread with a user’s name as the topic/title to “bash” them, linking to a thread to call out a user on their post, thoughts or beliefs (not a topic), calling a username out maliciously, starting a malicious or derogatory poll/question about a user, using images (memes, gifs, etc.) in a direct attack/vicious manner, etc.

The Knot encourages you to share your opinions while respecting others’ thoughts and feelings as well. Feel free to share, but be ready to hear and accept other opinions that you may not always agree with. Because you do not agree with someone, does not mean this is the place to attack anyone else’s beliefs.

Some people believe a gap is rude.  For some it's the norm.  Voice your opinion but stop attacking each other because of something you believe is rude.  

Our ceremony is at 3pm because our church, with a priest whom we are very close with, only has weddings at 3pm on Saturdays due to Saturday evening mass.  How are we rude for wanting to be married by a man who is very near and dear to our hearts?  The cocktail hour begins at 6pm.  The family I am marrying into, in their culture they change between the ceremony and cocktail hour/reception.  How are we rude for allowing our guests to embrace their own culture and still be able to attend all wedding events.  I can also tell you that my family; aunts, uncles, cousins, family friends, don't mind the gap.  We embrace it.  They would also be disappointed if the reception ended at 9 as opposed to the planned time of 11:30.  

We are only inviting those nearest and dearest to us.  No acquaintances or or random plus ones that aren't in a serious relationship.  Everyone attending knows each other.  There is only one girl, the wife of one of the groomsman who is shy and may be uncomfortable during the gap.  For that reason she is invited to come around on the bus with us while we take pictures in the city.  Guests will also be provided with fun things to do in the city, Chicago, during the gap.  

In the end, you are the one who knows your guests the best.  What some consider rude might be completely non offensive to someone else.  Some people think it is rude for their children not to be invited to the wedding.  That is their belief.  My belief is that it is rude for parents to expect their children to be invited.  In the Persian culture, weddings are the event of the season and people wear their absolute best.  They might find it rude when they arrive at a casual rustic wedding to see people in simple dockers and a button down shirt.  

What works for one bride and groom's family and friends might not work for another.  So knock it off with the personal and vicious attacks.  Not one of you is better than the other or is your wedding better than the other.

Just how did you miss the primary point, reiterated over these 18 pages, that this is not about the choice you made when you chose your ceremony and pastor? It is about the choice you made when you chose your venue or your venue start time.
  • Thank you for pointing out the obvious.  Clearly you missed my point about how what works for one bride and groom's family and friends might not work for another.  Believe me.  I've read all these comments of you other brides insulting the brides who are having gaps.  What I'M saying is that a gap works best for our family and friends.  It allows those who wish to change after the ceremony and before the reception to do so.  It allows the family who never get to see each other to spend more time together.  It allows my fiance and I to have the first time we see each other be when we walk down the aisle.  It allows us more time to spend with the family and friends who so graciously came to our wedding at the cocktail hour.  Like I said.  This works best for OUR family and friends.  Just because it doesn't work for yours or someone else's doesn't make it wrong.  My cousin had a two hour gap at her wedding and whenever my family all get together we always talk about how that was the best wedding we have ever been to.  
  • Your timeline sounds just fine if the cocktail hour begins 30 mins after the ceremony ends. And you don't need to hustle to get to the reception venue. Take your time, spend a few minutes alone with the groom to relax and de-stress.
    My ceremony will only take 20 mins (how anyone could do 1.5 hours is beyond me. I hope you wear flats!) It will begin at 1 pm, and our reception is a lunch at a nearby restaurant (10 min walk at most, same location) that is booked for 2 pm.
  • APDSS22APDSS22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Your timeline sounds just fine if the cocktail hour begins 30 mins after the ceremony ends. And you don't need to hustle to get to the reception venue. Take your time, spend a few minutes alone with the groom to relax and de-stress.
    My ceremony will only take 20 mins (how anyone could do 1.5 hours is beyond me. I hope you wear flats!) It will begin at 1 pm, and our reception is a lunch at a nearby restaurant (10 min walk at most, same location) that is booked for 2 pm.
    So what on earth are your guests supposed to do while the restaurant is still setting up and your ceremony is over with? 1pm you start your ceremony, 1:20-1:25 the ceremony is over with (allowing for some exit time), 1:35 at the latest they're standing around the restaurant, waiting for the tables to be cleaned, positioned, etc.  until 2pm when the restaurant has everything ready.  That makes no sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards