Chit Chat

DH is nicer than I am (but Karma's a bitch!)

Re: DH is nicer than I am (but Karma's a bitch!)

• arrippa said:
    The twilight woman and the american idol guy just got found out being married way before the ceremony. My entire internet is frozen except for this page otherwise I would link and know names haha.
    Paul McDoonald and the pretty brunette (not K Stew)?

Nikki Reed.
  • arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    jdluvr06 said:
    arrippa said:
    The twilight woman and the american idol guy just got found out being married way before the ceremony. My entire internet is frozen except for this page otherwise I would link and know names haha.

Nikki Reed.
    Yeah, thank you! I have never seen twilight but I know her from The OC.
  • @hisgirlfriday13 - your hubby is awesome. As for this special snowflake - Oh, please! Seriously???

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• arrippa said:
    jdluvr06 said:
    arrippa said:

Nikki Reed.
    Yeah, thank you! I have never seen twilight but I know her from The OC.
    Yes them! They are filing for divorce so its coming out now that they were already married for months before their big wedding. 

• daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    @HisGirlFriday13‌ did the ordained online friend marry them in PA? Because that's not technically legal. The state isn't going to show up at their door and tell them they aren't married, but if they divorce one partner can claim they aren't actually legally married. There was a case in York where that happened.
  • daria24 said:

@HisGirlFriday13‌ did the ordained online friend marry them in PA? Because that's not technically legal. The state isn't going to show up at their door and tell them they aren't married, but if they divorce one partner can claim they aren't actually legally married. There was a case in York where that happened.

Yes! I didn't know that. Interesting. Why is it illegal?
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Oh.  This could be getting even more interesting.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Moral question:

Do I tell DH this and have him pass it along to PPD bride?
    Anniversary

• daria24daria24 member

daria24 said:

Yes! I didn't know that. Interesting. Why is it illegal?
    PA law states that ministers from "established" churches may perform marriages. Judges have interpreted this to mean churches with a physical location/congregation in PA. This article mentions the 2007 case. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/fashion/weddings/making-sure-that-online-officiant-is-legal.html

Honestly I'm sure dozens of people are married every year by online officiants in PA, and I'm sure many divorce without incident. But I sure as hell wasn't taking that chance when I got married.
  • @daria24‌ -- thanks!!

I wonder if I should tell DH...
    Anniversary

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    Hell yeah,    Your DH has already demonstrated he can bring it up things tactfully yet get the point across..   I would look up the lawsuit @daira24 mentioned so your DH can mention he just read about the lawsuit.  You know get the gears running.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Moral question: Do I tell DH this and have him pass it along to PPD bride?
    DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• daria24daria24 member
    Here is a more in-depth article. I did not see any further legal cases coming up and whether the York County case is truly precedent (the law they mentioned did not pass). However I know county clerks in PA tell those who ask that internet ministers are not recognized. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/2007-10-24-online-marriages_N.htm
  • Did they get married in York County? I think I read somewhere there are a couple of counties where it's okay.

• They did, in fact, get married in York County.
    Anniversary

• daria24daria24 member
    The crazy thing is, the didn't even need the friggin minister in the first place. They could have self-united with two (human) witnesses and avoided the whole thing. I can't believe that people don't look I to this shit.
  • well, well.  That maybe an issue then.  

That article was 2007, but the limited research I did, it seems to still be the case.

• daria24daria24 member
    I actually can't believe it hasn't come up in the legal system again. You would think there would have been some bitter divorce where a rich spouse used this case to not have to pay alimony.
  • edited May 2014

My BSC cousin actually threw a fit because  1) she didn't get her PPD (JOP marriage, which she agreed to!)   2)  for whatever reason, the family helped her older brother with his VERY simple, private wedding in a public garden in his little town of 400 people, and to add insult to injury 3) no one would throw her a do-over.  They clearly love him more than her.

She and her DH are no longer together. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have informed DH about its likely invalidity.

He is (a) baffled that this only applies in York County and (b) baffled that they didn't know this and (c) debating whether he should tell her.

He also wonders what the benefit of telling her is given that no one might ever question it.
    Anniversary

• How can he be baffled by B?    I think her actions demonstrate she would not research such things.

• He is nicer than I am. He chooses to see the good in people. It took me a year to explain to him why PPDs are rude.

I love that kindness in him. It's one of his most wonderful qualities.

But then this happens and I'm like, 'YOU KNOW SHE HALF-ASSES EVERYTHING WHY WOULD THIS BE ANY DIFFERENT?!?'
    Anniversary

• daria24daria24 member
    I can just imagine the conversation. "Mom, Dad, turns out we really will be getting married at the DW because that whole thing we did the other day isn't even legal! So come and give us presents."

Actually her response do your DH would probably be "well that doesn't matter because we are never ever getting a divorce because it's true lurrrrrrrrve."
  • beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    What might happen now is that they will try to tell their families to stop being pissy since they didn't really get married (due to their own legal dumbness)
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Second question: Do I tell the officiant, whom I'm friends with, that what she's doing isn't legal?

Because she's planning to do this more often.
    Anniversary

• Second question: Do I tell the officiant, whom I'm friends with, that what she's doing isn't legal? Because she's planning to do this more often.
    I would.   Maybe ask how she went about getting her license in PA.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards