Wedding 911
Options

Bridesmaid with Hot Pink Hair

Re: Bridesmaid with Hot Pink Hair

• Options

I think the only thing you can do is accept whatever color she has going on ! Butttttt i say add some extensions to her hair on the wedding day to tone the bright color down and have it look more natural. Everyone wins in this situation. If you do an updo style and incorporate some extensions. She can take it out right after the wedding and everyone is happy. I don't see any conflict in that... after all you are the bride and it's nothing crazy.

So hot pink hair with extensions of dark brown, blonde, red or black is "more natural"? Whaaaaat? No. Not even a little bit. Boggles my mind.

Its her hair. You don't get to dye it. Or add extensions or put it in Shirley Temple ringlet curls.

• Options
    I think the only thing you can do is accept whatever color she has going on ! Butttttt i say add some extensions to her hair on the wedding day to tone the bright color down and have it look more natural. Everyone wins in this situation. If you do an updo style and incorporate some extensions. She can take it out right after the wedding and everyone is happy. I don't see any conflict in that... after all you are the bride and it's nothing crazy.

Welcome to TK. I don't like you.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    There is not enough booze in the world to make this thread palatable. 

• Options
    You chose her to be your bridesmaid knowing her personal style full well. If you're really that concerned, tell her she can't be your bridesmaid with pink hair. If she means that much to you, then you're going to have to accept her the way she is. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you're the one who picked her, no one forced you to. 
  • Options
    If you don't like her hair, don't ask her to be in your wedding. It really is that simple. Would you ask someone to lose weight to be in your wedding party? How about get a nose piercing? What about suggest a different haircut, because you think her current cut is God Awful. No? Sound like overstepping bounds? That's because it is. Her body is her body. So if you can't deal with her pink hair, don't ask her to stand by you. If you love her, if she's a friend, then do. No such thing as being a little bridezilla. Either you are, or you aren't.
  • Options
    mim29mim29 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2014

First off, I totally understand where everyone is coming from when it comes to letting your bridesmaid and friend be herself, express herself, and feel accepted by you for who she is. BUT she is obviously close enough to you to have been included in this intimate role. So, she dyed her hair completely; this suggests (to me) that she isn't opposed to drastic change and trying new things! This is a good thing and you might be able to use it to your advantage. Emphasize that you love her to pieces but there may be one little thing she could do as a favor - if not? That's [probably] that. I wouldn't push it too far; let her know she obviously has time to think it over. As for whoever compared her to getting pregnant, having limbs removed, or getting cancer.... you're ridiculous and how dare you compare something like cancer or amputation to a box of hair dye in terms of "individuality". Not only are those two completely different things, but what you said is extremely offensive. Best case scenario, depending on how you feel about it as things get closer is that she realizes it's only temporary; it's not like you're telling her you can no longer been seen with her because of her hair. She can change it right back after the wedding; the damage of dying it has been done hair-health wise. One more dye job shouldn't necessarily crush her spirits.

• Options
    YES. It is totally acceptable. This is your day and these are your pictures, which will ultimately be all you have left [aesthetically] of your wedding. If it comes to a matter of price, you can have that conversation with them privately. Generally if you're going to require something specific, and money is an issue, it would be polite to make up the difference. Saying "go natural" is totally fine! No one wants a bronzed out bride with 9 layers of eyeliner and a huge blow-out for what they envisioned as a "natural" look for their wedding party - depending on your definition of minimalism and natural of course :)
  • Options
    The difference between something like weight loss and hair color is about as huge as your disrespect for outside input. OF COURSE you wouldn't dare ask someone to lose weight for your wedding!!!!  It's one day, HER day and if she wants to ask she can. If they are truly that close her friend can say she's not comfortable with it and respect the bride's open attitude toward whichever decision she chooses. If the bride is disappointed by the decision reached she should however, keep that to herself and understand the decision.  
  • Options
    This person is also not her mother or grandmother - that's a completely different ball game and totally out of context to the situation. My sister-in-law however, did it in a way that was very open. She told us to pick a hairstyle, show it to her, and she would say yes/no. I picked one, she said no because it was too close to what hers would be. Was I offended? NO. It's a hairstyle, there are millions to choose from. What a bride CAN do which evades some of the awkwardness in terms of hairstyle (color not included) and makeup is to tell the stylists ahead of time what they are going for. That way, when the time comes the artists can just begin without question. The artist can ask about minor details and present options that they know the bride would like, or has already approved.
  • Options
    The difference between something like weight loss and hair color is about as huge as your disrespect for outside input. OF COURSE you wouldn't dare ask someone to lose weight for your wedding!!!!  It's one day, HER day and if she wants to ask she can. If they are truly that close her friend can say she's not comfortable with it and respect the bride's open attitude toward whichever decision she chooses. If the bride is disappointed by the decision reached she should however, keep that to herself and understand the decision. 

Here we go with the IT'S HER DAY crap.

Even if that did matter, (btw it doesn't) that doesn't excuse her rudeness.  I'd be royally pissed if someone asked me to change anything about my appearance for their wedding. You just don't do it. You seriously don't understand that after 7 pages of comments saying to not do this? 

• Options
    mim29mim29 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2014
    This is not about my lack of ability to read, thank you for that though. She's asking for perspectives. If she doesn't like mine so be it. Just because there is a majority opinion does not make it law, nor does it make it any more acceptable or valid than mine - at least on this site. It's a discussion and gathering of VARIOUS opinions. At no point is it okay for you to pass judgment on me because I think it's okay to ask a bridesmaid to change her hair color for a day, or have makeup/a style conducive to uniformity or differentiation depending on what she wants. It all depends on the bride. Some choose to make an executive decision and see it as a way to reduce stress levels, some choose to go with a "vision" and give their brides the freedom to choose within that theme, and others say "have at it" to give their bridesmaids full reign on the decision(s). There is no right or wrong answer here. It's about what she wants and mutual respect.
  • Options
    I should mention too, that I personally will not be asking my bridesmaids to change anything about themselves. It will minimize my stress levels to give the stylists a guideline/idea of what I'm going for and let the bridesmaids pick from what they have to offer. That way I avoid having someone insist on pigtails and the sea urchin-encrusted headband they brought along. I'm not a terrible person for wanting that.
  • Options
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards