Chit Chat
Options

Worst Baby Names

Every so often I enjoy wandering on over to the Baby Names board on the bump- like 10% to get possible name ideas and 90% to laugh at the freaking ridiculous names some of those ladies plan on giving their children.  Which is what inspired me to ask you ladies over here- what names/naming trends do you absolutely HATE?  Like besides the obvious obnoxious spelling of names which I think is pretty much universally reviled, are their certain names, types of names, or sound combos that you just can't stand?

Re: Worst Baby Names

• Options
    I know people IRL who have named their babies: 
    Hermoine
    Clara 
    Milo 

I also hate the trendy Z names like Zander and Zara. (No offense to anyone who chose those; they're just not my thing) 

And I hate any name that just becomes hugely popular so there's 12 kids in every first grade class with the same name: Ella, Aiden, June (as a middle name usually), Addison, and so on. Again, no offense. Just not my thing. 
  • Options
    I don't get why Clara is weird either - it's a bit old-fashioned but aren't those names (like Ava, Charlotte, Olivia, Ruby, etc.) that used to be kind of old-lady very popular again?

My mother's dayhome has an "Ashling". No words for that one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Nutella. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30993608

But for serious, I dislike uber common names. Jessica, Sara/h, Melissa, Ashley, etc. I dont know if people still name their kids that anymore, or if that's more my generation.

• Options
    I know people IRL who have named their babies: 
    Hermoine
    Clara 
    Milo 

I also hate the trendy Z names like Zander and Zara. (No offense to anyone who chose those; they're just not my thing) 

And I hate any name that just becomes hugely popular so there's 12 kids in every first grade class with the same name: Ella, Aiden, June (as a middle name usually), Addison, and so on. Again, no offense. Just not my thing. 
    LOL! FI and I totally have Claire/Clara on our short list for future baby names
  • Options

Nutella. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30993608

But for serious, I dislike uber common names. Jessica, Sara/h, Melissa, Ashley, etc. I dont know if people still name their kids that anymore, or if that's more my generation.

Nah those are all names of the 80's.

• Options
    I know several women named Clara.
  • Options
    Boys: Theo and Felix

Girls: Wren and Lulu

Woof.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Boys: Theo and Felix Girls: Wren and Lulu Woof.

My boss's nephew named their baby GIRL Felix..... So So weird.
  • Options
    I can't think of the name Clara without Silence of the Lambs popping into my head. 

• Options
    So many... in the interest of keeping it short I'll list a few:

Boys:
    -All of the "-en" names (Hayden, Jayden, Kayden, Aiden, etc.)
    -Kai
    -Hudson
    -Mason

Girls:
    -Aubrey
    -Addison/Madison
    -Brooklyn

• Options
    I don't like really common names like John and Sarah. I also dislike names that I have to bare my teeth to pronounce (like Keith) and Claude. I just don't like the name Claude; I keep mispronouncing it like "Clot".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    I can't think of the name Clara without Silence of the Lambs popping into my head. 
    Wasn't that Clarice? 

I way prefer the classic names over the trendy ones (although I do realize classic names go through ebs & flows of popularity). We're going with Charlotte for the Bean. DH wanted Charlie for a girl but I think she should have the option of a "big girl" name when she grows up so Charlotte was our compromise. 

I love the name Charlotte! It's so classic and pretty.

I also really like the name Clara, SO prefers Claire but I doubt we'll end up using either.

I'm not a big fan of names that are places. I taught swimming lessons in high school and I had a class with an Austin, London, and Paris. I'm guessing that was the trend when those girls were born.

• Options
    kat1114 said:

Boys:
    -Kai
    -Hudson
    -Mason

Girls:
    -Aubrey
    -Addison/Madison
    -Brooklyn

What's wrong with Aubrey?
  • Options
    amelisha said:
    I should add, that, much like "Ashling", I hate names that just sound made-up. All the Kaidens and Braydens and Jaidens, "kreative" spelling, etc. Just pick a name that's an actual name so your kid doesn't have to spend the rest of its life spelling it to people and being instantly tagged as a certain age.

I have that second problem, actually, because my name is one of those ones that EVERYONE gave babies in the 80s and not really before or since. Every job I apply for knows how old I am before I show up, which is fine for right now but was tough when I was younger and might be tougher as I age, too. If we have kids, I'm choosing something that isn't trendy so my kid has a decent chance of not getting judged on it before s/he walks in the door. Every Jaxon in 20 years is going to be fighting for an HR callback against the Alexanders and Williams of the world and that HR person is going to know that Jaxon is young and judge his experience, you know?
    I don't know if you've ever read Freakonomics, but there is a chapter about how your name affects your future job search.

Also, I forgot earlier, but I would like to add Nevaeh to list of names I hate.
  • Options
    kat1114 said:

Boys:
    -Kai
    -Hudson
    -Mason

Girls:
    -Aubrey
    -Addison/Madison
    -Brooklyn

Oh God, Addison/Madison and Brooklyn are on my hate list too!  Nothing wrong with them, just rub me the wrong way.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Ees instead of ys (ex. Aubree, Ashlee, etc.)

Ditto on the super common names (Ashley, Lauren, Jessica, etc.)

eta: spelling is hard

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I love Clara! It makes me think of the Nutcracker. (And not Dr. Who, which is why I assume that @Novella1186 doesn't care for it.)To me, it's classic, not trendy.

I know like 3 babies named Nevaeh. I want to punch all of their mothers in their respective cooters.

while I am a self admitted huge doctor who fan, we were actually a little upset when the name was used because we didn't want it to become 'trendy'. I've always been a huge fan of Claire, The Outlander series was my favorite book growing up, and SO prefers Clara, A la Nutcracker.
  • Options
    OH also the "leigh" phenomenon for replacing "ly"- Ashleigh, Beverleigh, Harleigh etc.  That just looks like letters threw up on a page to me. 
  • Options
    Ees instead of ys (ex. Aubree, Ashlee, etc.)

Ditto on the super common names (Ashley, Lauren, Jessica, etc.)

eta: spelling is hard
    I'm that way about the "eigh"s ... Ashleigh, Hayleigh, etc.
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    kat1114 said:

Boys:
    -Kai
    -Hudson
    -Mason

Girls:
    -Aubrey
    -Addison/Madison
    -Brooklyn

What's wrong with Aubrey?
    I honestly don't know why I don't like it. Part of me thinks it's because I have a friend on FB that overshares about her daughter who happens to be named Aubrey.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I know someone who named her baby Nixon. Except Nixin. So that it'd be an anagram. 

ETA: Sorry, not Nixin, Nixxin. Gotta remember that extra X.
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    Wasn't that Clarice? 

I way prefer the classic names over the trendy ones (although I do realize classic names go through ebs & flows of popularity). We're going with Charlotte for the Bean. DH wanted Charlie for a girl but I think she should have the option of a "big girl" name when she grows up so Charlotte was our compromise. 
    Yeah, it totally was.  I got distracted and the two were close. >.<

• Options
    Boys: Theo and Felix Girls: Wren and Lulu Woof.

I know 1 Felix and 2 Wrens (1 boy, 1 girl).

I try not to judge baby names, because it's not just a baby name, it's a person's name.  I wouldn't like someone saying my name was stupid! (Even though it is.  Sigh.)

So no, probably not going to go there! haha

I also know 2 Tegans (girls).  I thought that was interesting since I had never heard of it before the first one!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards