Chit Chat
Options

Worst Baby Names

Re: Worst Baby Names

• Options
    Side note, when my mom was pregnant with me she had an ultrasound and was told that I was a boy.  So with that, my parents had picked out a boy name... Ryne.  Pronounced like Ryan.  I guess it's kind of cool, but when they told me this....smh....
  • Options
    I loved looking at the name by year thing, I did it for 50 years. My name peaked in 83 but isn't that popular now. I saw Jacob is the number one boy name for like the last 15 years in a row. Wouldn't you choose not to name your kid that if it was becoming that popular?? There is going to be a million of them 
    Nope, wouldn't stop me. And there's actually a very strong likelihood we'll name a son Jacob, because it's a family name. It has always been and will always be popular because it's a classic... it goes back to Biblical times, is popular in Christian and Jewish families, in my own ancestry it goes back to the 1600s, and currently there are 3 Jakes in my family of different ages. Huge difference between that and being one of 6 Braydens but the minute you hear of a Brayden you can guess within about 3 years what year he was born because it was a blip on the radar.

• Options
    beethery said:
    I hate to say this, but there is usually a direct correlation between the use of weird-ass spellings and the mother's educational and/or drug-using background...
    What in the ever-loving fuck are you talking about?
    I think there is a high correlation between weird spellings and mommy bloggers, but I don't think that's what you were implying.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    I had a friend of a friend pop up on FB.  He's got a couple of kids, Zephyra Eirene and Solomon Euthos, which just blew my mind.  I think he's a Minister or similar, but still, I feel bad for those kids when they get to junior high.  

My hated is currently for Isaiah, partially cos I can never spell it and partially cos there is a shit kid Isaiah in my class at the moment.  And most J names for boys (Jesse, Jeff, Jeremy).  Most of them are shit kids in my experience.  James' have been ok kids though though.  Most of the names I hate are already mentioned, or kids who are pissing me off cos they're acting like idiots
    I actually like the name Zephyra. I wouldn't use it for a child though. I would put it in my list of names I like but are to odd for kids that I use for pets. 
    If I heard the name Zephra and was a teenager, my instant teenage thought would be, "Oh yea? Did you get conceived on a Zephra-hill?" Sorry if I just burst that bubble for you.

I liked being the only Shannon. It makes me sad to hear that its becoming more popular, though. 

Other than the y's, x's in the names, and -ydn's, I'd have to say the name Ava sticks out. Too many girls have it. 

I like classic names like Elizabeth, Marilyn, Margaret, Shirley, Pauline/Paulina and Evelyn for girls, James, Luis, Robert, Daniel, Jeffrey for boys.
    I do not consider Shirley and Pauline "classic names." They're old people names, but they haven't had pervasive popularity throughout time the way something like Margaret has. They were trendy back in their time.

• Options
    Because of this thread I have found out one of my good friends' H wants to name their future child Jackson.

ALL THE NO'S.

And the main reason is because he just wants to call him Jack! So name him Jack, m-f'er!
     My parent's dog is named Jackson. I have a coworker who named his son that.  When he told me that is what they were naming him, "Oh, that's my parents' dog's name," popped out of my mouth before I could stop myself.  Their other son is Jace. At least I was able to stop myself from making Teen Mom references on that one.
  • Options

Agree with PP's on the Aiden, Jayden, Brayden...etc. It's just too popular and the speshul spellings are out of control. Also Jaxon/Jackson. Ew.

Also Carter for a boy. That just strikes me as a kid's name and doesn't seem like a name an adult would have.

I love the name Evan for a girl. I'm not sure if it would be too horrible to name a girl a popular boy's name but I would definitely consider it.

My husband has the same name as his dad. I think it's expected from his parents that if we have a boy we will do the same which we most definitely are not going to do. We live in the same town so any time we have to deal with a bank or insurance company they automatically assume that H is his dad and it gets very confusing, Banks also frequently deposit his parents money into our account or vice versa. It's just a huge hassle.

• Options
    Side note, when my mom was pregnant with me she had an ultrasound and was told that I was a boy.  So with that, my parents had picked out a boy name... Ryne.  Pronounced like Ryan.  I guess it's kind of cool, but when they told me this....smh....
    My parents also expected me to be a boy.  So much so that after I was born, my dad asked the doctor "so do we do the circumcision now?"  Doc said, "we generally only do that on boys."

I also want to second the "don't call your kid by their middle name".  It's truly a pain in the ass to always correct people who call you by your first name.  

This thread also reminds me of another funny story.  I have a friend who was named Summer Eve.  As soon as she got married, she changed her middle name to be her maiden name.  I only hope that the products werent' really around or prevalent when she was born, because her momm is super awesome.
  • Options
    I loved looking at the name by year thing, I did it for 50 years. My name peaked in 83 but isn't that popular now. I saw Jacob is the number one boy name for like the last 15 years in a row. Wouldn't you choose not to name your kid that if it was becoming that popular?? There is going to be a million of them 
    Nope, wouldn't stop me. And there's actually a very strong likelihood we'll name a son Jacob, because it's a family name. It has always been and will always be popular because it's a classic... it goes back to Biblical times, is popular in Christian and Jewish families, in my own ancestry it goes back to the 1600s, and currently there are 3 Jakes in my family of different ages. Huge difference between that and being one of 6 Braydens but the minute you hear of a Brayden you can guess within about 3 years what year he was born because it was a blip on the radar.

Well, I dated a Braden (is it the y that makes it trendy?) in college, so he's 34, not 4!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited January 2015
    The other thing to keep in mind with the "top name lists" is that over time, the percentage of all babies falling into the top x keeps shrinking - so (made up numbers) while 100 years ago, 80% of baby boys were given a name in the top 20, now it's maybe 30% fall into the top 20. So while any given name might be #1, it's representative of fewer babies. Less than 5,000 out of a million boys were named Jacob in 2012 - that's less than half a percent. Compare that to Robert in the 1920s, when over 26,000 out of a million boy babies were named Robert.

• Options
    Darn, I'm late to this conversation. 

I despise names where the first name matches the last name. Unfortunately that can also come from marriage, but if I was going to be Nickname Nyckname I just wouldn't go through the legal process at all. 
    I work with someone whose first and last names are variations on the word Holly. Ugh.

The worst I've seen in my extended circle of friends is "Knollyn" for a boy. Rhymes with Nolan but makes me think, "Don't the loadies prefer that grassy knoll over there?" (Clueless)

I dig classic or more traditional names. Alice, Charlotte, and Celeste are children's names in my circle. Kids named after family members are nice too, whether as a first or middle name. One coworker's daughter's middle name is Pearl, after a grandmother. 

• Options
    Oh I probably will too (there is a reason I looked it up.) I guess I was assuming that not everyone had strong reasons for it since it seemed to really shoot up recently - but I only meant wouldn't you pick a different name if you weren't that that attached to it. But I guess a lot of people probably do have strong to attachments to it.

• Options
    huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    I know a 32 year old Braydon. I honestly don't have a problem with Aiden, but all the other made up names that rhyme are way too popular, and I don't know why.

It seems like in this thread no matter what your name is people are going to have a problem with it. It's too popular, it's too unique, it's too old, it's made up. It's not spelled correctly.Whatever, people can name  their kids what they want. 

Everyone can have their personal opinions obviously (I hate the name Amber, no rational reason, I just don't like it). I also don't like Princess or  Neveah. How did Neveah ever get to be a name?

• Options
    flyingfoxesflyingfoxes member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015

I like "regular" names, can't stand weird spelling/"unique" names.  So yeah, if I had a son, he'd probably one of multiple Sams in his class. 

My sisters gave their kids my dad's middle name as their middle names.  I wasn't too fond of that, until my dad passed, and now I think it's nice tradition and I probably would want to incorporate some sort of version of his name - which was Steven Lee - so it could be Stephanie or Leigh if it were a girl, or the traditional versions for a boy. 

• Options
    I know a 32 year old Braydon. I honestly don't have a problem with Aiden, but all the other made up names that rhyme are way too popular, and I don't know why.

It seems like in this thread no matter what your name is people are going to have a problem with it. It's too popular, it's too unique, it's too old, it's made up. It's not spelled correctly.Whatever, people can name  their kids what they want. 

Everyone can have their personal opinions obviously (I hate the name Amber, no rational reason, I just don't like it). I also don't like Princess or  Neveah. How did Neveah ever get to be a name?
    :-(

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    My friend has 3 kids: Rhyan, Landyn, and Jheremy. I really do not get the stupid spelling in a name trend. And except for Landyn (WTF is that supposed to come from, anyways? Landon? ), the other 2 names are common names which now just look ridiculous with the stupid "h" thrown in there.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    pinkcow13 said:
    My friend has 3 kids: Rhyan, Landyn, and Jheremy. I really do not get the stupid spelling in a name trend. And except for Landyn (WTF is that supposed to come from, anyways? Landon? ), the other 2 names are common names which now just look ridiculous with the stupid "h" thrown in there.
    Evidently your friend is uneducated and does a lot of drugs. /sarcasm
    Oh yea, definitely. Clearly the fact that he graduated from a 4 year college, and is now in the NYPD doesn't count. Must be his wife. She must have come up with those names. She probably has a meth lab, which might explain things.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options

I didnt read the whole thread so maybe this has already been mentioned but I have it when parents pick names that all start with the same letter. Kelly, Katelyn and Kevin. Lauren, Luke and Lucy.

Yuck.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    beethery said:
    I hate to say this, but there is usually a direct correlation between the use of weird-ass spellings and the mother's educational and/or drug-using background...
    What in the ever-loving fuck are you talking about?
    I don't know where redheadbride got her info, but in the book Freakonomics, there's a whole chapter on baby names. Anyhow, they talk about the correlations between what a parent names their child and their income/education level (nothing about drug use though). 

The book doesn't discuss correlations between a mother's background and weird spellings (but the book came out in 2005 before a lot of the weird spellings really got going). However, the book lists "the twenty white girl/boy names that best signify high education parents." Interestingly enough, most of these names were uncommon/unique spelling names. (Examples: Zofia, Sander, Glynnis, Waverly, etc.).

So maybe there is a correlation, but probably not in the way PP thinks.

• Options
    When I saw the start of this thread last night there was 1 response, I come back the next morning and BAM 5 pages.

I agree with y'all that the "unique" spellings annoy me more than anything else.I personally don't like the cutesy names but there isn't anything inherently wrong with them, just not my style.

I much prefer very traditional and classic names. 

And as someone who goes by their middle name, it's annoying. My parents named me knowing that I would always go by my middle name. My first name is both of my grandmothers' names (Mary) and Mary Emma sounds much better than Emma Mary. H's name is James but goes by Jay, which is also annoying for him. So we intend to name our kids what they will be called.

H is a junior (but goes by a different name than his dad, Jimmy) and most certainly has his own identity. We intend to name our first son James Robert III and called by James. We also intend to raise our children to be independent be people that don't let their name determine whether they have an identity or not. I also want to name our other son after both my brothers middle names, Scott Hamilton (who I learned last time I told y'all, is a champion male figure skater) and call Scott. 

Girls are harder for us because we don't want something too "girly" and want something feminine but strong. We are leaning towards Lila Elyse (middle name after his sister).

I really liked the website about baby name trends. Turns out both my names were in the top 5 in the 1890's. And now, obviously Emma is super popular. I will hear a mom call out for their Emma, and I always respond by instinct!

• Options
    I know someone who named her son "Chase Danger Car"* I feel so bad for him, so many ways to get teased. 

- Car, Chase
    - Chase D Car

And the stupidity of being able to say "my middle name is danger"

*Note I did purposefully spell last name wrong, but phonetically.
  • Options

Because Aiden (or Aidan) isn't a made up name. I hear people say that a lot. 
    It's Irish, and has been around for hundreds of years. I had a great uncle Aidan. A friend named Aiden, in his early 60s now. There's a Saint Aidan. Aidan Quinn, the actor. Aidan McCarthy, famous World War II veteran. 
    It's really popular now, and overused, but definitely not "made up."
    I think the name Quinn for a boy or a girl is really cool.  I don't know if I would be brave enough to name my kid that though.  I usually gravitate towards more classic names, but Quinn is cool.
  • Options
    My parents joke that if my sister had been a boy they were going to name her Wolfgang. 

Beware, y'all. We're picking baby names out of the best usernames on TK. 
    Had I been a boy, I would've been 'Angelo'. No joke.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I hate first names taken from last names. Don't care how you spell it, Jackson, Madison, Riley, Parker, Payton - ALL LAST NAMES. STOP IT. Extra hate if it's a girl's name ending in -son. And anytime a letter is replaced or added for exxtrah yuneequness. Sorry but Greyton falls in the last name rule. Don't care if it's a first, middle, beach... I don't like it because it's a last name.
    Well, to that I say:

My siblings and I all have unique spellings (my baby sister is Mali, pronounced Molly, for God's sake). My mom has never, ever, in her life, done drugs. She doesn't even drink.

@ASHLEY8918 I LOVE the name Ryan. I mean, FI is a Ryan. Hahaha. But I loved the name before I met him. It's always been one of my favorite names ever.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    beethery said:
    My parents joke that if my sister had been a boy they were going to name her Wolfgang. 

Beware, y'all. We're picking baby names out of the best usernames on TK. 
    Had I been a boy, I would've been 'Angelo'. No joke.
    I would have been Jacob Thomas

• Options
    I think the name Quinn for a boy or a girl is really cool.  I don't know if I would be brave enough to name my kid that though.  I usually gravitate towards more classic names, but Quinn is cool.
    Quinn is super trendy right now. I know 3 baby Quinns (all girls).

• Options
    I really liked the name Aiden before it became so popular.  I suppose if I'm really feeling the name once it's time to have a kid I won't let it stop me, but it's still a bummer that it's become so trendy.  I'm really into the meaning of names too (which is why names ending in -son for a girl make no sense to me). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards