Chit Chat

Worst Baby Names

Re: Worst Baby Names

• I can't help but roll my eyes whenever someone takes a normal name and switches a letter to make it "unique".

Examples:
    - replacing "i" with "y", as in Allyson, Krystyn, Camryn, Addyson/Addisyn, etc.
    - replacing "ks" with "x", as in Jaxon
    - replacing "s" with "z", as in Izabelle

Actually, you could summarize my thoughts by saying that I dislike pretty much any name containing an unnecessary "x", "y", or "z".
    Yeah I know this has been mentioned earlier in this thread but I can't stand the crazy spelling for the sake of nothing.

Like Brittany is an ok name. Breitanneigh is a fucking stupid name.
    Breitanneigh?????!!!!!! That's some next-level absurd shit. 

My parents were ahead of their time -- my name was incredibly common, but just a few short years later they went off the spelling deep end and named my sister Kaety. 
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I'm irrationally annoyed when Elizabeth is spelled with an "s" instead of "z". It's pronounced with the z sound, not an s. I'm not sure if it really counts as a unique spelling but in my mind it does, because it's wrong, it just is.

Also, I babysat for a family whose kids all had "unique" spellings:
    Alivia instead of Olivia
    Aysia instead of Asia (which is already a less common name)
    Jaxon instead of Jackson
    Maighen instead of Meghan

Their names never get spelled right and they are constantly correcting people. Their mom says she actually really regrets the weird spellings.

ETA: My name is a very popular one. It's not always in the top 10, although it was for a long time, but it hovers around there usually in the top 20 or so. But it never bugged me honestly. But that could be because there are so many different nicknames for it so I never had to be Elizabeth D.

• If you wanna name your kid something weird make it a middle name. I've got a fucking weird ass middle name. My first name is pretty normal though. No one calls me by my middle name but it's there and important people know it. I like it I'm just glad I don't have to introduce myself by it.
  • @ohannabelle and @estee33 Yeah... that's why it's good FI won't have it. Grayton and Alys are the weirder of the pair. I mean, Grayton William and William Grayton both work, so order isn't an issue, I just like William as a middle name more than a first (I don't know my naming processes are weird) and Grayton is weird. Alys is youneek, but really I never intend for a daughter to be a Rebecca or a Becky - Rebecca was my best friend's middle name, and I have always wanted to use it in the middle in honor/memory of her.

I do appreciate not being ripped a new one for thinking about naming kids after beaches, hahahahaha.
    If you tell me you're naming your child Redondo or Dash Point, I might. 
    ;)
  • @ohannabelle and @estee33 Yeah... that's why it's good FI won't have it. Grayton and Alys are the weirder of the pair. I mean, Grayton William and William Grayton both work, so order isn't an issue, I just like William as a middle name more than a first (I don't know my naming processes are weird) and Grayton is weird. Alys is youneek, but really I never intend for a daughter to be a Rebecca or a Becky - Rebecca was my best friend's middle name, and I have always wanted to use it in the middle in honor/memory of her.

I do appreciate not being ripped a new one for thinking about naming kids after beaches, hahahahaha.
    ;)
    Nope, Alys Beach and Grayton Beach. Both of which were bandied about in the EARLY planning stages as locales for the wedding. Beautiful. My family visits PCB about three times a year and they're about an hour or so from the condos we stay in, so we spend a day on 30A at least once a year.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • MagicInk said:
    If you wanna name your kid something weird make it a middle name. I've got a fucking weird ass middle name. My first name is pretty normal though. No one calls me by my middle name but it's there and important people know it. I like it I'm just glad I don't have to introduce myself by it.
    This.

I also have a very unusual middle name, and I love it! Very few people actually hear it, and those that do are usually people I've gotten to know, so it's still a treat to explain it to people. But I can also see how it would be really, really tiring to have to spell it and explain it to every single person I encountered in life. My first name, thankfully, is relatively normal.

;)
    I'm going to name my firstborn Cocoa Melbourne. 

Does it count if it's on the other side? 
  • I'm naming my kid Balboa or Huntington.
  • I hate all the unique spellings lately. Especially Jaxon or Jaxxon.

My username makes it obvious my name is Kaitlyn. Can't tell you how often it is misspelled because of how popular it was in the 80s and how many different spellings there are. I was the only kid with my spelling though so it was kind of nice to not all have identical names.

I hate having to always spell out my name, so all those Jaxons or other weirdly spelled named kids are going to be miserable. At least my name doesn't look stupid the way it is.

I'm a big fan of a few traditional names (yes, it is popular, but Charlotte has been the name I've wanted for a kid for years) so no chance in hell our kids will have an odd name. Or a weirdly spelled one.

One of my brothers is Kaeden. I actually like the spelling of it but he probably has the same issue I do.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • esstee33 said:

I have a youneek spelling. ONE freaking letter in my full name is different from "normal spelling". My name has NEVER been spelled right. (Of course, I also shorten it to Cait, which is more youneek than my full name... so. There's that.)

I won't be giving youneek spellings to my kids, BUT (this is awful, probably worse than youneek) I still to this day want to name potential kids after beaches on 30A - Alys Rebecca or Grayton William. They'd go by middles, because those are the normal ones. Grayton William would work the other way (William Grayton) but Rebecca Alys doesn't work as well.

FI probably will not allow this. It's probably a good thing.

I don't like the 80s names. Jennifer, Jessica, Britney/Brittany/Brittney. Sorry if you have one of those, but they just sound sooooo dateddddd to me.

I have noticed that boys' names don't get the youneek treatment quite as often, at least not the classic ones. Jaxon can die in a hole though.

Esstee that is the best gif ever.

etf paragraphs. Don't know what's going on with the size. Draft was saved from my computer to mobile so I'll blame the phone.

SIB

Okay, this just confuses me. If you give your child first and middle names, then plan not to call them by first name, why? 
    Why not just name them the name you plan on calling them?
    I'm not being bitchy. Just genuinely baffled. 

(This happened to my mother, btw. She's been called by her middle name all her life, but legally is still her first name. She's used to it, but always was annoyed by it.)

***** Oh, boxes, you sly devils *****

I often wonder the same thing. Like, if you want to call your kid something, just name them that and avoid them having to explain for their entire lives "Well, my name is X, but everyone calls me by my middle name." 

My stepmom was a Peggy Marie who eventually just legally changed her name to Marie because that's what she went by.

Man the more I look at the name "Peggy," the weirder it gets. 

Yea, I don't get this either. None of my siblings have nicknames. My mom said, "if we had wanted to call you a nickname, we would have name you that." I can't understand naming a child with the intention of calling them something else or starting off from the time they're very young calling them by a nickname.
  • I like Mary and Jane for girl names. Not sure about guy names. V and I like more "normal" sounding names than the trendy ones. Plus V and I may never have kids, soo there's that. One I haven't notice mention but annoys me is Camden...I rolled my eyes hard when I saw that name. I looked up my name and mine was popular in the 90s..shocker haha. I'm 21.

• Public Service Warning: do not do to your children what my parents did to me.  I have three (LONG) middle names and it is an absolute nightmare.  Usually when people comment I try to laugh it off like "Oh yeah my parents got carried away!" but some people will not let it drop and I'm just like "What do you want me to do about it, I didn't choose it!"

Basically for background since I know people will wonder- it is mostly the fault of my domineering paternal grandmother (well and my parents for giving in to her obviously).  She INSISTED on all of her grandchildren having a name that is representative of our ethnic heritage (which is very obscure- not like an Irish or Italian name or something), plus since my dad is the firstborn son tradition in his family dictates that he make his mother's name his first daughter's middle name, so that was two right there.  Then my mom was like eff this if your family gets two names I'm adding in my mom's name too, so that's how I ended up with three.  

The only pro is that I always had an easy fun fact to share about myself for like icebreakers and stuff.  Everything else is a con.  
  • I hate all the unique spellings lately. Especially Jaxon or Jaxxon. My username makes it obvious my name is Kaitlyn. Can't tell you how often it is misspelled because of how popular it was in the 80s and how many different spellings there are. I was the only kid with my spelling though so it was kind of nice to not all have identical names. I hate having to always spell out my name, so all those Jaxons or other weirdly spelled named kids are going to be miserable. At least my name doesn't look stupid the way it is. I'm a big fan of a few traditional names (yes, it is popular, but Charlotte has been the name I've wanted for a kid for years) so no chance in hell our kids will have an odd name. Or a weirdly spelled one. One of my brothers is Kaeden. I actually like the spelling of it but he probably has the same issue I do.
    I'm a Caitlan. I've NEVER met anyone who spells it that way. Also - my brother is Caed. Which is kind of close? NEATO.  
  • My mom has a friend named Dorcas. That's her legit first name. I guess it's from the bible or something? We also had a cleaning lady whose first name was Herthico. Also, I think (?) from the bible.
  • @themosthappy91 I don't have a middle name. And my first name is like half a name (think jenna not Jennifer). So when people say they have two middle names I always joke like "fuck you have 3 whole names and I don't even have one!"

• Renezmae. No joke, my sisters friend named her kid after Twilight. I have also seen Esme too many times to count. Also, a former coworker went with Quentyn for her son. Drives me batty every time I see it on facebook because it just doesn't look right.

I'm a Caitlin and every single time in the past few years that someone spells it they replace the second "i" with a "y". I blame the new trend of the y.

• I hate all the unique spellings lately. Especially Jaxon or Jaxxon.

My username makes it obvious my name is Kaitlyn. Can't tell you how often it is misspelled because of how popular it was in the 80s and how many different spellings there are. I was the only kid with my spelling though so it was kind of nice to not all have identical names.

I hate having to always spell out my name, so all those Jaxons or other weirdly spelled named kids are going to be miserable. At least my name doesn't look stupid the way it is.

I'm a big fan of a few traditional names (yes, it is popular, but Charlotte has been the name I've wanted for a kid for years) so no chance in hell our kids will have an odd name. Or a weirdly spelled one.

One of my brothers is Kaeden. I actually like the spelling of it but he probably has the same issue I do.

I'm a Caitlan. I've NEVER met anyone who spells it that way. Also - my brother is Caed. Which is kind of close? NEATO.  

Whaaaat! That is awesome haha. I've never seen it spelled Caitlan before. That's awesome we and our brothers have the same name!

Funny story - FIL was with another woman for awhile. Long story there.... yikes. Anyway. This bitch of a woman called me Kaitland. Never Kaitlyn. Spelled it as Kaitland too. She had every single family member correct her and even spell it out. But she hated me (I supported MIL a lot during that troubled couple of years) and did it to spite me I think. Even signed my damn graduation card from the family with Kaitland. Who the fuck is named Kaitland? Maybe someone is but to me it sounds like an amusement park.

From that, BIL and his gf started calling me Kaitlandros to be funny. That actually stuck but I love how weird they say it.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I knew a "Mondan". It was his parents names mashed together- monica and Daniel.

• There is a lady at work that is pregnant and asked people for suggestions because they cannot pick one (she has months left). Well someone suggested khaleesi, and she must not have seen the Game of Thrones because she thinks it sounded nice. I am tried very hard to talk her out of this name.

Growing up there were also many girls with the same or similar names. It was like the Army, everyone went by their last name. I have friends that are now married and have changed their names but I still call them by their old last name and not their first name. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hate all the unique spellings lately. Especially Jaxon or Jaxxon. My username makes it obvious my name is Kaitlyn. Can't tell you how often it is misspelled because of how popular it was in the 80s and how many different spellings there are. I was the only kid with my spelling though so it was kind of nice to not all have identical names. I hate having to always spell out my name, so all those Jaxons or other weirdly spelled named kids are going to be miserable. At least my name doesn't look stupid the way it is. I'm a big fan of a few traditional names (yes, it is popular, but Charlotte has been the name I've wanted for a kid for years) so no chance in hell our kids will have an odd name. Or a weirdly spelled one. One of my brothers is Kaeden. I actually like the spelling of it but he probably has the same issue I do.
    Whaaaat! That is awesome haha. I've never seen it spelled Caitlan before. That's awesome we and our brothers have the same name! Funny story - FIL was with another woman for awhile. Long story there.... yikes. Anyway. This bitch of a woman called me Kaitland. Never Kaitlyn. Spelled it as Kaitland too. She had every single family member correct her and even spell it out. But she hated me (I supported MIL a lot during that troubled couple of years) and did it to spite me I think. Even signed my damn graduation card from the family with Kaitland. Who the fuck is named Kaitland? Maybe someone is but to me it sounds like an amusement park. From that, BIL and his gf started calling me Kaitlandros to be funny. That actually stuck but I love how weird they say it.
    I KNOW I thought that was fantastic. I mean, the various Caitlans aren't super uncommon, but Caed/Kaeden both are, so that's really neat hahah.

I've been called Caitland before and it drives me nuts, although I've certainly never had it written down like that. And whenever I spell my name for someone, it changes the way they say it. They accentuate the second a really heavily so it comes out like CaitLAAAAAAN. Kaitlandros is not the worst nickname to have though, haha. Could certainly be worse!

The only people nowadays that call me that are my family and FFIL. Not sure why he decided he was gonna call me by my full name, but he does. It's kind of weird to hear it now, haha.

Hi @cupcait927! Another (K/C)aitl_n(n)! 

Oh. Another name I don't like: Krist_n. I didn't know any in high school, but my best friend was one of four in her grade (same grad year). Sorry @holyguacamole, but it's that late-80s name that I feel like dates its wearers. Of course, so does my name apparently, hahahaha, since there's a bunch of them from the 80s.
  • I am side eyeing the shit out of Everly right now.

Also all the Jaxons, Braydens, Averys, and youneek spellings. 

Anniversary
  • jenna8984 said:
    I'm on board with hating super common names- anything in the top 10. Right now it's Emma, Sophia, Olivia, Madison and those all make me want to barf. I guess it's not the name itself, just the fact that it's SOO popular. I swear to God, I know 9 Emmas under the age of 4. 

I can't stand names that are "southern". Sorry if that's offensive to anyone but I know some babies named Sawyer and Paisley and I just hate it because it screams country music awards and mason jars! 
    I always hated juniors- the kid should get his own fucking identity. 

SIB

THIS! I hate juniors too for this same reason. Out of ALL the names in the world why do you have to name your kid the same name as you. It especially irritates me when women do it- FI's grandmother's name was Margaret and she named her daughter Margaret. I have a Christine in my family who named her daughter Kristine. I don't get it.
    Also, FI's grandmother went by her middle name. I'm always baffled when I find out people's real names because so many go by their middle and no one even knows it's not their first name.

I also like to look up the meaning of names. So if I like a baby name that I want to consider for the future I look up the meaning and if I don't like it it's off the "list". I really like the name Shane but it's just a variation of FI's name so it's too similar and since I want the name to mean something different and I hate juniors I won't consider it.

• I also can't stand Jackson/Jaxon/Jaxxon, Jayden/Jaden, Logan, Hayden, Kayden, Brayden, etc.

I used to love the name Ella and then it got super popular.

I think the name I'm the most sick of it Riley/Ryleigh/Rylee. My cousin named his daughter this years ago and at the time it reminded me of a dog's name. It's so ridiculously popular now. I also know of a Rileyanna. Terrible.

• My mom had an exchange student from Bulgaria named Areola stay with her for awhile. I'm sure it's totally fine in her country, but here...not so much.
  • I also can't stand Jackson/Jaxon/Jaxxon, Jayden/Jaden, Logan, Hayden, Kayden, Brayden, etc.

I used to love the name Ella and then it got super popular.

I think the name I'm the most sick of it Riley/Ryleigh/Rylee. My cousin named his daughter this years ago and at the time it reminded me of a dog's name. It's so ridiculously popular now. I also know of a Rileyanna. Terrible.

I love the name Riley!  It's one of my favorites!  I wrote a novel with that as the main character name because I loved it so much!

I know a girl named Wetherleigh. I also know a couple who just had a baby and named him Boaz.  As in the Bible.  Seriously?  Are there not like, a JILLION, better Bible names for your little boy than Boaz?  Ick.  And then he'll probably hate it so much when he grows up he'll go by Bo.  I love the Dukes of Hazzard, but I hate the name Bo.

Speaking of Bible names, I knew a family that had a bunch of kids who gave their kids really weird Bible names. Lamb, Bethlehem and Jerusalem are the three I remember, but there were some others. I'm not kidding, those were their names.

Also, I saw a cashier once with the name Jessebel. A "yoonique" spelling of Jezebel, the most evil woman in the Bible.

I really love the name Charlotte for a daughter, but I'm already planning to give her my middle name (seven letters) and our last name is nine letters, so I'd really like to give a daughter a shorter first name.
  • sarahufl said:
    levioosa said:
    I can't think of the name Clara without Silence of the Lambs popping into my head. 
    Wasn't that Clarice? 

I way prefer the classic names over the trendy ones (although I do realize classic names go through ebs & flows of popularity). We're going with Charlotte for the Bean. DH wanted Charlie for a girl but I think she should have the option of a "big girl" name when she grows up so Charlotte was our compromise. 
    My sister named her dog Charlotte. Then she promptly realized they wasted a really good name on the dog.
    Same thing happened to me with the cat's name: Lily.  Drat, that was my favorite name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards