Chit Chat

Worst Baby Names

Re: Worst Baby Names

• I knew someone with the name Greenwood (it was a middle name, but still).  He was named after a relative that had been a general or something in the Civil War. 

• Can we please stop calling names "low rent?" That's horrible. "I'm sure glad my name doesn't make me sound poor! Oh, the horror! Anything but poor."
    This. So so so so much this. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I have weird family names. I'd love to tell all of you them, but y'know. Internet security. 

Just know they're f'n weird. I have a very normal first name though :)
    I have twin second cousins named Giorgio and Armani.
  • amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    amelisha said:
    I always think it's a bit funny when a person's names are from vastly different cultures as well - like, it's kind of cool too, especially if they come from a mixed heritage, but there's something that makes me double-take about something like "Sakura Castillo" or whatever, you know? Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry thinks the woman is Asian and is subsequently disappointed.
    My first name is a French diminutive, my middle name is a shortened form of an English name, and my last name is Asian. I confuse everyone.
    At least for North Americans, it's not usually too remarkable because our names tend to come from all over the place anyway. Mine is very common here and doesn't cause any remarks, but when I lived in Spain (where virtually everyone I met had, well, a Spanish name) they would always say "Oh, so you're [culture my name came from]?" automatically because to them it had super strong associations with that particular country. Combined with my current surname it doesn't seem too weird, but when combined with my new one it will sound funny to non-North Americans, I think. I'll be something along the lines of "Bridget Czajkowski" (not close to my actual name, but the same idea) when I change my name. Not an issue in Canada but I think my Spanish friends will get a kick out of it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • porkchops926porkchops926 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    Not a baby but this name always killed me. Evidently it's pretty popular. When I was looking for this newspaper clip I came across quite a few Tara Dactyl's on facebook.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This is such a fun thread.

I was watching Say Yes Atlanta the other night. This woman's name was Terenni (or was it Terinni?)

Either way, the way they pronounced it sounded like "tyranny."  I was really puzzled why one would choose a name with such a negative connotation. 

• amelisha said:
    amelisha said:
    I always think it's a bit funny when a person's names are from vastly different cultures as well - like, it's kind of cool too, especially if they come from a mixed heritage, but there's something that makes me double-take about something like "Sakura Castillo" or whatever, you know? Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry thinks the woman is Asian and is subsequently disappointed.
    My first name is a French diminutive, my middle name is a shortened form of an English name, and my last name is Asian. I confuse everyone.
    At least for North Americans, it's not usually too remarkable because our names tend to come from all over the place anyway. Mine is very common here and doesn't cause any remarks, but when I lived in Spain (where virtually everyone I met had, well, a Spanish name) they would always say "Oh, so you're [culture my name came from]?" automatically because to them it had super strong associations with that particular country. Combined with my current surname it doesn't seem too weird, but when combined with my new one it will sound funny to non-North Americans, I think. I'll be something along the lines of "Bridget Czajkowski" (not close to my actual name, but the same idea) when I change my name. Not an issue in Canada but I think my Spanish friends will get a kick out of it.
    No, I mean I actually confuse people with my name. I worked reception for a pretty busy office, and people would come in after speaking to me on the phone and not expect an Asian person (I guess they thought I was a white girl who married an Asian guy? No idea...). I had several people insist that I couldn't have been the person they spoke to even though I was the only person there who answered the switchboard. I also have had people ask me what my "real" name is since my first name must be my "Americanized" name. Nope, the name I give is the same one on my fancy-schmancy, former mayor Ed Koch signed, NYC birth certificate.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• luckya23 said:
    There is a politician in my area who has attempted to run for various offices, including Congress, named Krystal Ball.

To be honest if you were going into something like politics (literally the only profession where you have to put your name on freaking signs and bumper stickers and stuff!), wouldn't you change your name if you were her?

Krystal Ball from UVA!

You're in Virginia?

Yep!  God, there's just no end of reasons to be amused/horrified by VA politics... Krystal Ball is just the start of it.
  • I worked with a girl who named her son "Bentley Cooper".
    Like the 2 cars.
    Why.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• amelisha said:
    amelisha said:
    No, I mean I actually confuse people with my name. I worked reception for a pretty busy office, and people would come in after speaking to me on the phone and not expect an Asian person (I guess they thought I was a white girl who married an Asian guy? No idea...). I had several people insist that I couldn't have been the person they spoke to even though I was the only person there who answered the switchboard. I also have had people ask me what my "real" name is since my first name must be my "Americanized" name. Nope, the name I give is the same one on my fancy-schmancy, former mayor Ed Koch signed, NYC birth certificate.
    THAT is really surprising to me. I would say that 80% of the people I meet with Asian heritage have a non-Asian first name - makes a lot of sense because a lot of people of Asian heritage have been here for many generations, and even those who haven't aren't, like....obligated to only use names of their own extraction. I would be much more surprised to meet a white Elise Wu than I would to meet an Asian one, just based on past experience. To me your situation sounds less like a name confusion issue and more that some people are prejudiced jerks, honestly. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I read a news story about a woman who named her son Messiah and it was brought before a judge who decided she cannot name her son that because she lives in a religious community and people will be offended. I'm not religious at all but I dunno, I don't really think you should be naming your kid Messiah.

This brings me to a question. I'm not trying to be rude at all, it's just something I've always wondered about. A lot of Hispanic people I know of are Catholic and the name Jesus is pretty prominent in the Hispanic community. But isn't that kind of like blasphemy or something? Maybe this is a really stupid question.

• edited January 2015

I read a news story about a woman who named her son Messiah and it was brought before a judge who decided she cannot name her son that because she lives in a religious community and people will be offended. I'm not religious at all but I dunno, I don't really think you should be naming your kid Messiah.

This brings me to a question. I'm not trying to be rude at all, it's just something I've always wondered about. A lot of Hispanic people I know of are Catholic and the name Jesus is pretty prominent in the Hispanic community. But isn't that kind of like blasphemy or something? Maybe this is a really stupid question.
    No... It's a regular name. It's pronounced Hay-zoos anyway. The problem the judge had with Messiah was that it was a title he felt the baby hadn't earned (not that I agree with his opinion).

• No, I know how it is pronounced. But it's still Jesus. Growing up as a Catholic (I have nothing to do with the religion now) I just though it was strange as I thought of Jesus/God kind of the same and no one should call themselves God. But I just looked this up and apparently Jesus and Joshua are like the same name or something? And Muslims name their children Mohammed which I've never thought twice about.
    I guess it's just a cultural thing- something I just always wondered about. 

• I read a news story about a woman who named her son Messiah and it was brought before a judge who decided she cannot name her son that because she lives in a religious community and people will be offended. I'm not religious at all but I dunno, I don't really think you should be naming your kid Messiah.

Jesus was not his actual name,though. The name of Jesus of Nazareth, was YESHUA, or English Joshua. , though spelled differently in Hebrew or Aramaic.
    Son of Yosef, or English Joseph. In Greece at the time it was a Greek alphabet version starting with Y and pronounced Jesus, in Latin of Roma at the time, Jesu.

So what is blasphemous, Yeshua, Joshua in English.
    There was a famous court case, big city, school system would not register. Spanish speaking immigrants named Jesus (pronounced HeySEUSS)

My sister read the case in law school, and the judges ruling was, either every variation on the name Yeshua in any language should not be used, including Joshua, or all must be allowed. Therefore, since be long precedent we allow Joshua, Jesus is in. In a nutshell.
  • Fran1985 Fran1985 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015

edited because I am way low on coffee and repeating things

• yep just read that for the first time @whatawagsbny ! maybe I was a bad Catholic considering I did not know any of that lol. Learned something new today.

• Best name ever: Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix.

I remember when he was drafted!  Apparently his grandmother picked the name.

SITB: But Ha Ha is just the nickname, I believe his real name is Ha'Shawn - I can't get wiki at work though (weirdest block ever)

• I so much wanted to name one of our twins after my grandmother Aliqoq, if both were girls. But we had also decides the last name would be my husband's, since the others have by name.

My Mom hit the roof, you can' t do that that's cruel. And nobody got it.

But my husbands Italian name, like the English name Kimballs. Has the word sound balls in it.

A girl with cock in her first name and balls in her last? my mother said, then we got it.

We only had one girl, so she is Jana Saskia (JAN nuh sass KEY uh). After my mom and other grandmother.
  • I know a young Paytonmarie.. That's right - one giant word.

My name is foreign, and my kids will most likely have foreign names.

• bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015

I know a young Paytonmarie.. That's right - one giant word.

I think this is becoming a trend. A friend of mine just did a newborn photo shoot for a Rileymarie (Idk if that's how she spelled it) - all one word.

• Best name ever: Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix.

I remember when he was drafted!  Apparently his grandmother picked the name.

SITB: But Ha Ha is just the nickname, I believe his real name is Ha'Shawn - I can't get wiki at work though (weirdest block ever)
    STIB: That could be true. I just remember them saying that his grandmother picked out his name while I was watching the draft.

• I know a young Paytonmarie.. That's right - one giant word.

I think this is becoming a trend. A friend of mine just did a newborn photo shoot for a Rileymarie (Idk if that's how she spelled it) - all one word.

To me that only flies if it is a traditional name
    MARY ANNE is also Marianne and Maryanne, Sarah Beth is also Sarabeth or Scandinavian Saribet

But HEY YOU ANYNAME all run together is cruelty to children.
  • I worked with a girl who named her son "Bentley Cooper".
    Like the 2 cars.
    Why.

I swear to God, girl from my high school is named Mercedes and named her daughter Lexus. 

• I'm super late to this thread. I know a guy whose sister is named Princess.

If I were a boy I'd have been Levi Devon. What the everloving fuck were my parents thinking? Alas, I popped out a girl and then my parents couldn't agree on what to call me. So I am named after my grandfather (sr) and dad (jr).    
  • Can we please stop calling names "low rent?" That's horrible. "I'm sure glad my name doesn't make me sound poor! Oh, the horror! Anything but poor."
    Hi, yes please. That wasn't the first ignorant comment in this thread.
    I apologize for using the phrase "low rent"; poor word choice on my part. I did not mean it as poor at all, I meant is as uneducated/unclassy. I was just trying to defend my name, since I was getting the feeling that's what people thought about every name with a  Y where it normally doesn't go.

I apologize for using the phrase "low rent"; poor word choice on my part. I did not mean it as poor at all, I meant is as uneducated/unclassy. I was just trying to defend my name, since I was getting the feeling that's what people thought about every name with a  Y where it normally doesn't go.

No worries.

Frankly, I'm more offended by an earlier comment that weird spellings directly correlate to a mother's drug use and lack of education.
  • Also, My ex-husband named his new baby MacKinzi Aliyah.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards