Wedding Party
Options

My Matron of Honor refuses to get a babysitter for the wedding

Hey!

So my matron of honor has a 6 month old and at the time of the wedding the baby will be 8 months. She doesn't trust anyone to watch him but I don't want the baby to be with her the WHOLE day. Her husband is also in the wedding. I asked her to find a babysitter and she said no. She offered for her husband to step out of the wedding but that throws the numbers off. I could ask her to also step down so she can be with the baby but then I have an extra dress. I hate to replace a groomsmen this late in the game. I feel like they would think they are just a backup. When I tried to talk to her about it, she seemed offended that I would suggest getting a babysitter. I just don't trust her to be an active participant in the wedding with her baby around the whole time. Any advice on how to handle this delicately without losing a friendship?

Re: My Matron of Honor refuses to get a babysitter for the wedding

• Options
    Hey!

So my matron of honor has a 6 month old and at the time of the wedding the baby will be 8 months. She doesn't trust anyone to watch him but I don't want the baby to be with her the WHOLE day. Her husband is also in the wedding. I asked her to find a babysitter and she said no. She offered for her husband to step out of the wedding but that throws the numbers off. I could ask her to also step down so she can be with the baby but then I have an extra dress. I hate to replace a groomsmen this late in the game. I feel like they would think they are just a backup. When I tried to talk to her about it, she seemed offended that I would suggest getting a babysitter. I just don't trust her to be an active participant in the wedding with her baby around the whole time. Any advice on how to handle this delicately without losing a friendship?

You don't replace either of them if they back out. Even sides are not an actual concern.

I am a BM in an upcoming wedding, and will have a very young baby who will need to nurse. If the bride hadn't chosen to be accommodating of the fact that I will have to have them with me for pretty much the whole day except the ceremony itself, I would have had to decline attending the wedding. It's not a hard feelings thing, just a practical reality.

My SIL had the same issue at my wedding. She and the baby were there when we got ready, and she was there for the ceremony, and then basically had to skip out on a few things. That's life. However, the only requirement for her to be an "active participant" in the wedding was being there next to me for the ceremony. You may want her to be able to be there with you and for you all day (I would have loved to see more of SIL), and you can be disappointed if she can't be, but this is not something to blame her for, and you have to be accommodating. She sounds like she's doing all she can as a responsible parent - most parents won't leave a kid with a babysitter they don't know, and perhaps not at all at that age.

• Options
    mikenbergermikenberger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    c+j2015 said:

Hey!

You can not be this self absorbed. How do you function in daily life with the gravitational pull of the UNIVERSE being around you clearly because you're the center of it? It must be difficult for you.

It's obvious you should kick her out. And her stupid attention seeking 6 month old. Seriously. Why must babies be babies!?

• Options
    God forbid you have an extra dress. 

• Options

Please somone tell me this is MUD, please. Because this post is so selfish, entitled, mean spirited and just straight up juvenile that I can't handle a planet with people like that. If it is true then all I have to say is

• Options

What.  The.  Hell.

One of my BMs had her 1 month old baby with us.  He was awesome.  I love him.  I'm so glad I got to spend the day with him, because I live a long way away from my friends and family, and I miss my BM's kids.

The ONLY thing we had to do was find an accommodating pseudo-auntie who was willing to rock him for the 45 minutes Mommy was standing up in the ceremony.  We had a lot of volunteers.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    There is no way that anyone could spend an entire day devoting their attention to you and your FI (and hopefully there is no way that you would ENJOY that.). However there IS a way that someone could spend an entire day looking after their child. Asking your friend to choose standing next to you in a dress over caring for their child is selfish and immature. I hope that you listen to me and the PP's and come to some sense. It is 100% possible to not end this friendship, and I hope you see some sense and choose that. 

Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

What about a compromise of a mother's assistant for the day. Maybe you know someone that babysits or you have a friend that has an age apporiate child that could act in the role. Basically the baby would stay with the mom (or dad) through the day but while she is getting ready the mother's assitant could help keep the baby entertained, feed it, change it's diaper, etc. Basically it would be a baby sitter but the baby & the sitter would be with one of the parents the whole time so they would see what is going on with their baby but not have to tend to the baby every second themselves. Then they can do their part during the ceremony & photos (but be flexable if the sitter can't quiet the baby during the ceremony & one of them quietly steps down to tend to the baby) and have piece of mind that their baby is being watched after. Granted you'll need to feed the sitter, but then it would be the best of both worlds. You get both people to be in your wedding party & they feel safe in regards to the care of their child because they are still with them. Just an idea.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Erikan73 said:

What about a compromise of a mother's assistant for the day. Maybe you know someone that babysits or you have a friend that has an age apporiate child that could act in the role. Basically the baby would stay with the mom (or dad) through the day but while she is getting ready the mother's assitant could help keep the baby entertained, feed it, change it's diaper, etc. Basically it would be a baby sitter but the baby & the sitter would be with one of the parents the whole time so they would see what is going on with their baby but not have to tend to the baby every second themselves. Then they can do their part during the ceremony & photos (but be flexable if the sitter can't quiet the baby during the ceremony & one of them quietly steps down to tend to the baby) and have piece of mind that their baby is being watched after. Granted you'll need to feed the sitter, but then it would be the best of both worlds. You get both people to be in your wedding party & they feel safe in regards to the care of their child because they are still with them. Just an idea.

I understand that this is an attempt at compromise and while in theory it sounds like a great idea. But I think in execution, it falls short. I know if I were sitting there getting ready and my child was unhappy and crying or needing something and the sitter was not meeting that need, I would probably take my kid away and have no use for the sitter for the rest of the day. 

I would possibly entertain this if it were my mother or sister, but not some random. But then again there's the coordinating of this assistant/sitter/nanny type person and their needs for the day as well. It can all be easily solved by the bride not making a huge riot out of it.

• Options
    c+j2015 said:
    Hey!

Yeah. Don't dictate what she does with her baby.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    OP, please come back.

We want to hear all about why the rules of etiquette  being a good friend are different for you because you're a special snowflake.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My best friend and bridesmaid brought her four month old to my wedding. The only regret I have about the whole thing is that my photographer didn't get enough pictures of me holding my adorable faux niece. She had zero impact on my wedding except to up the adorableness quotient.
  • Options
    zitiqueen said:

Another post and run, damn.  I guess I'll have to play the part of the OP.

"You guys are so mean, I came for support not to be bullied.  My friends and family will understand because IT'S MY WEDDING DAY.  When I was her bridesmaid I spent 80 gazillion dollars and threw her 500 parties and got my hair done and bought shoes so she should step up and get a babysitter because it's MY WEDDING!

I thought this board had brides who would understand not a bunch of ugly bitches who sit on the internet all day and bully people, I feel sorry for your husbands."

Okay, did I miss anything?

You don't know my lyfe!
    #sorrynotsorry

• Options
    You forgot to include some creative way of including the c word:

You're all a bunch of cuntenglishmuffins!!!

Cunt waffle is my and my BFs new favorite. I think I heard it here first.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

You forgot to include some creative way of including the c word:

You're all a bunch of cuntenglishmuffins!!!

Cunt waffle is my and my BFs new favorite. I think I heard it here first.
    -------boxes-------

Cuntsandwich is a personal favorite in my household lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards