Chit Chat

"Let's go to Vegas this weekend and get hitched"

SBminiSBmini member
5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited February 2015 in Chit Chat
That is seriously how my sister's bf decided to propose to her! I told her that's ridiculous that she deserves an honest proposal and she said "that's not like him." I don't think it matters what is or isn't like him, she deserves a legitimate proposal, not a proposition for a quick trip to Vegas. Everyone is going to ask how he proposed, and while she doesn't need some story about champagne and hot air balloons, but I think she deserves a better memory than just being asked to go to Vegas. 

Am I being ridiculous? 

EDIT- He asked over text and she said no. As in, no I don't want to get married this weekend. Opposed to no, I don't want to marry you. But because that's the question he asked- that's the response he got. She wants a Vegas wedding, but she wants a planned Vegas wedding with people there. Not an elopement. Apparently, he's popped the question to her this way a few times, and every time she's said no. I sent him a message suggesting that maybe he ask her to get married first, then they can plan the trip to Vegas afterwards. 

Re: "Let's go to Vegas this weekend and get hitched"

• edited June 2015
  • For one he texted it to her. And secondly, I don't think it is legitimate. "Let's go to Vegas" and "Will you  marry me" are two very different questions. I know my sister wants to go to Vegas, but I also know she wants to plan something and have some people there. Let's go this weekend is not her idea of the ideal wedding. 
  • Yes.

Your opinion of what they've decided works for them is irrelevant. If it makes her happy, that is obviously good enough for her.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Yes, you're being ridiculous. 

Is your sister happy? That's all that should matter. Even if she isn't, it's her life and you should butt out. 
    She said no. As in, no, let's not go to Vegas this weekend and get married. 
  • SBmini said:
    For one he texted it to her. And secondly, I don't think it is legitimate. "Let's go to Vegas" and "Will you  marry me" are two very different questions. I know my sister wants to go to Vegas, but I also know she wants to plan something and have some people there. Let's go this weekend is not her idea of the ideal wedding. 
    My H didn't even say "Will you marry me?" He said, "Will you be mine forever?" So I guess that doesn't pass your test of a proper proposal. 

And I like how NOW he texted it to her. Why didn't you mention that before?
  • SBmini said:
    For one he texted it to her. And secondly, I don't think it is legitimate. "Let's go to Vegas" and "Will you  marry me" are two very different questions. I know my sister wants to go to Vegas, but I also know she wants to plan something and have some people there. Let's go this weekend is not her idea of the ideal wedding. 
    My H didn't even say "Will you marry me?" He said, "Will you be mine forever?" So I guess that doesn't pass your test of a proper proposal. 

I said "Hey wanna get married?" and 8 years later she said "Will you fucking marry me already!" 

Not deep and romantic soul searching staring into each other eyes over a candlelit dinner while reciting everything we loved about each other. Cause that ain't how we roll.
  • beethery said:
    SBmini said:
    Yes, you're being ridiculous. 

Is your sister happy? That's all that should matter. Even if she isn't, it's her life and you should butt out. 
    And you still felt the need to crab about it? She and her bf will figure out for themselves.
    Exactly. So if she said no, why is this an issue. Again, my suggestion is to butt out. 
  • SBmini said:

I didn't mention it before because I just found out. First post edited.

• If she said no to the "get married in Vegas" proposition, then it's on him to decide if he wants to ask her something else. "Let's go to Atlantic City and get married then," or "let's go down to the county clerk's office" or yeah, "let's just get married by whatever means necessary, even a big white dress wedding." But that's between them, and none of those is an illegitimate proposal, it's just proposing a different thing than you would want. 

• ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    SBmini said:
    No. "Let's go to Vegas and get hitched" = "lets get married"/"will you marry me?" They are the same question.

There is nothing that is illegitimate about this, and it's really none of your damn business anyway. Butt out.

An re: the text? Riiiighhhhhhtttt. I'm sure you didn't just pull this out of your ass when you didn't get the expected response. Because, you totally wouldn't have mentioned it in your OP about an "illegitimate" "dishonest" proposal if it were true. /end sarcasm
  • SBmini said:
    Yes, you're being ridiculous. 

You still need to butt out. You're not part of their relationship, even if you are close to your sister.
    She's my sister. She tells me her opinion, I tell her mine. That's how a relationship works. Obviously she didn't think it was the most awesome thing ever because she said no. I think when he asks her again he should put a little bit more effort in it and that is what I told her. She can agree or disagree with me, but that's my opinion. She's my sister, I love her, and I wan the best for her. 
  • My FI popped the question in the car, in a parking lot, in the dark (so I couldn't even see the ring) because I had inadvertently ruined his plan. And the fact that it happened kind of hap-hazard in that way makes it a story I LOVE. 

If someone else decided that it was not a legitimate proposal and not a good enough story, so I needed a do-over, I would be incredibly hurt. And I'd also wonder how that's any of their business. 

The point of it was for my FI to ask me to spend my life with him; not to have a big story that pleases other people. 
  • DH didn't ask me to marry him either.

Nope one day I showed up at our work's smelly loading dock and DH said "Hey, I just asked boss man for the first week of July off to ask your parents for their blessing to marry you".

This was in Feb.

But the time July came around his mom (who I had never met) sent down a diamond.  DH takes me to a store to have the setting custom set.   DH meets my dad and then hands me the ring.  The words "will you marry me" never were said.

STUPIDEST STORY EVER.

However, it didn't make our commitment to each other any less valid then someone who had a more 'romantic' experience. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I understand why you find it odd, especially since it's not your idea of an ideal proposal (it's not mine either), but this is really something between the two of them. If she's unhappy about the lack of a "proper" proposal, she should say something to him. It's a shame you stepped in and messaged him since that sounds like meddling, something either he or she might not appreciate. It's not your place to tell him how to propose to her. 

I think if people ask her how he proposed and she tells them the Vegas story, it'll probably get a laugh. And if someone's shallow and judgmental enough to decide that it wasn't a good enough proposal, who cares what they think? 
  • edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards