Chit Chat
Options

Monogram Snark

Re: Monogram Snark

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Yes! A secret enclave of people who are over monograms! I live in GA and not only can you not throw a stick without hitting something monogrammed, the stick probably has someone's initials carved into it.

Here at least they seem to be part of the "Southern Prep" lifestyle, which consists of Sperrys, bow ties, wedge sandals and sundresses, pearls, Toms sneakers in your school colors, Land's End totes, GODDAMN CHEVRON PRINT EVERYWHERE, Chacos (??) worn with Nike dolphin shorts, and stuff that says "G.R.I.T.S. Girls Raised in the South" (and, as I saw in Savannah: "S.L.U.T.S. Southern Ladies Up To Something")

As for me, I only have my luggage monogrammed because, you know, it's the only thing I own that I really need to be able to tell if it's mine.

Hey now. ;) I really like my sundresses. It's like the only truly comfortable thing to wear in the summer and they are appropriate for practically any occasion. And Sperry's are the perfect slip on and go to the grocery store shoe.

• Options

Yes! A secret enclave of people who are over monograms! I live in GA and not only can you not throw a stick without hitting something monogrammed, the stick probably has someone's initials carved into it.

Here at least they seem to be part of the "Southern Prep" lifestyle, which consists of Sperrys, bow ties, wedge sandals and sundresses, pearls, Toms sneakers in your school colors, Land's End totes, GODDAMN CHEVRON PRINT EVERYWHERE, Chacos (??) worn with Nike dolphin shorts, and stuff that says "G.R.I.T.S. Girls Raised in the South" (and, as I saw in Savannah: "S.L.U.T.S. Southern Ladies Up To Something")

As for me, I only have my luggage monogrammed because, you know, it's the only thing I own that I really need to be able to tell if it's mine.

Sorry to anyone who may like Chacos, but those shoes are just terrible, and need to go away.
  • Options
    labro said:

Hey now. ;) I really like my sundresses. It's like the only truly comfortable thing to wear in the summer and they are appropriate for practically any occasion. And Sperry's are the perfect slip on and go to the grocery store shoe.

Sundresses are the friggin' best. I was just naming stuff off the top of my head that people who are obsessed with monograms here like to wear, and there's actually a lot of overlap between what they wear and what I wear. (I mean, it's what's available in stores here and stuff.)

The only thing I'm kinda bitter about is the Chacos. Hate to be all hipster/gatekeeper-y about it, but I was a camp counselor in high school and people made fun of me for wearing Chacos, saying they made me look granola. And now these same people are posting pictures on Instagram and Facebook in their Chacos and I'm just like, "Bitch, you act like the Wicked Witch of the West around water and you're wearing river sandals?" I just take solace in the fact that Chacos are not great walking shoes and I can tell the newbs apart from my fellow "granolas" because the newbs say stuff like, "These will be great for walking around campus!" Uh, no, honey. Blisters for days!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    Another item that should not be monogrammed:  Riding Boots.
  • Options

labro said:

Sundresses are the friggin' best. I was just naming stuff off the top of my head that people who are obsessed with monograms here like to wear, and there's actually a lot of overlap between what they wear and what I wear. (I mean, it's what's available in stores here and stuff.)

The only thing I'm kinda bitter about is the Chacos. Hate to be all hipster/gatekeeper-y about it, but I was a camp counselor in high school and people made fun of me for wearing Chacos, saying they made me look granola. And now these same people are posting pictures on Instagram and Facebook in their Chacos and I'm just like, "Bitch, you act like the Wicked Witch of the West around water and you're wearing river sandals?" I just take solace in the fact that Chacos are not great walking shoes and I can tell the newbs apart from my fellow "granolas" because the newbs say stuff like, "These will be great for walking around campus!" Uh, no, honey. Blisters for days!

Yep its either sundresses and pearls with Jack Roger's and a monogrammed floppy hat, or Norts and an oversized monogrammed long sleeve shirt and Chacos (which I'm sorry, are hideous).

I like some of these things by themselves  but it has become the typical outfit of a southern sorority girl. 

And don't get me started on the bow tie thing. Over it.

• Options
    emmaaa said:

labro said:

Yep its either sundresses and pearls with Jack Roger's and a monogrammed floppy hat, or Norts and an oversized monogrammed long sleeve shirt and Chacos (which I'm sorry, are hideous).

I like some of these things by themselves  but it has become the typical outfit of a southern sorority girl. 

NORTS I forgot about their nickname. That also reminds me, North Face fleeces. Worn with norts. And Chacos. While complaining about how it's "sooooo cold."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options

emmaaa said:

labro said:

NORTS I forgot about their nickname. That also reminds me, North Face fleeces. Worn with norts. And Chacos. While complaining about how it's "sooooo cold."
    YES! It drives me nuts.

• Options
    emmaaa said:

emmaaa said:

labro said:

YES! It drives me nuts.
    I once saw a business here that said they would monogram your norts and North Face jackets and I thought, "You are going to make serious bank."

• Options
    What are NORTS?
  • Options

What are NORTS?

Nike shorts. Usually these:

• Options

emmaaa said:

emmaaa said:

labro said:

YES! It drives me nuts.
    I once saw a business here that said they would monogram your norts and North Face jackets and I thought, "You are going to make serious bank."
    If only they sold everything chevron, they'd never go out of business.

• Options

What are NORTS?

Oh!  I have a 2 pairs of these, and they are some of the most uncomfortable shorts I own.  I've tried to like them, but they fit me really weird.. I want to blame the built in underwear... it's so binding!
  • Options

What are NORTS?

Oh!  I have a 2 pairs of these, and they are some of the most uncomfortable shorts I own.  I've tried to like them, but they fit me really weird.. I want to blame the built in underwear... it's so binding!
    I love the built in underwear. It's great for running! But the leg holes are too small for me and are tight around my legs. The Reebok brand fits better

• Options
    I have a wide, large butt... and that makes things like shorts a challenge for whatever reason.  If I get a medium to fit my waist, they are too tight on my butt.  If I get a Large, to accomodate my butt, then they don't fit my waist.  I usually wear my old school soffe shorts if I wear shorts to work out in.  I'll have to try the Reebok ones if I get a chance.
  • Options
    I have nothing monogramed.  It always looked funny to me.  Question though, DH's last name is actually 2 words (think something like von Strauss).  The first word is not capitalized, the second one is.  Which letter would he use??  

• Options

I have nothing monogramed.  It always looked funny to me.  Question though, DH's last name is actually 2 words (think something like von Strauss).  The first word is not capitalized, the second one is.  Which letter would he use??  

I think the V?  I have no idea!
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I think the V?  I have no idea!
    I think it'd be the S. In something like von Strauss the von symbolizes....ugh whatever it was in the past - duke/nobility/some sort of title. So the S would probably be the main letter.

• Options
    1.  I do think it's a southern thing.  I'm a transplant and DH is southern, and to a one, every single monogrammed item we have received has been from the southern side of the family.

2.  re: the order of the initials, way-back-when I got DH one of those LL Bean bathrobes and decided to get have it monogrammed.  He opened it, looked at it, and said "But the initials are in the wrong order."  It took a lot to convince him otherwise.
  • Options
    labro said:

I think it'd be the S. In something like von Strauss the von symbolizes....ugh whatever it was in the past - duke/nobility/some sort of title. So the S would probably be the main letter.

The first word means "the", so that probably makes sense.  Maybe I could throw in a little letter right before the big letter, kinda like a 2 when it's squared, but on the other side if that makes sense.  ;)

• Options

redoryx said:

I had a monogrammed LL Bean book bag in middle school. Pretty sure that was the only monogrammed thing I've ever owned.

I had one of these too! It was blue with purple lettering. My sister had one that was purple with blue lettering. We were soooooo matchy-matchy cute! *gag*

I went to a wedding once where EVERYTHING was monogrammed... napkins, cups, vases, programs, menus, favors, cake topper, escort cards, invitations, thank you cards... EVERYTHING. I don't get it when people feel the need to personalize every single detail of their wedding. I think an item here and there is cute, but this was a bit over-the-top.
    My cousin is obsessed with monograms and did this, but it backfired because not everything got used. She now runs an Etsy shop and if you order something from her, the item is packed in all these balled-up napkins that say "[His initial] + [Her initial]" and their wedding date.

• Options
    I think I owned a monogrammed necklace when I was like 12 and they were popular in my area.  And my Aunt bought me a purse with my first initial on it...but that's it.  I'm generally not a fan of monogrammed things. 

And, chaco hate away, they're great for camping.  I'd never be caught dead wearing them out normally though.  Same goes for crocs.  They're awesome for camping and housework. 

• Options
    levioosa said:

I think I owned a monogrammed necklace when I was like 12 and they were popular in my area.  And my Aunt bought me a purse with my first initial on it...but that's it.  I'm generally not a fan of monogrammed things. 

And, chaco hate away, they're great for camping.  I'd never be caught dead wearing them out normally though.  Same goes for crocs.  They're awesome for camping and housework. 

FI is a big fan of crocs for his lake shoes.  He hates flip flops, so they are his go to shoe. I cringe.......
  • Options
    I don't think I've owned anything with a monogram ever. I don't think it's really a thing around here in my circle, because I can't say that I see monogramed things very often. 
  • Options

I had to Google Chacos. They're the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Second place: anything Lilly Pulitzer. Looks like someone barfed up a mai tai.
    That's the best description of it I've ever seen. I think that is exactly why I love Lilly. 

As for monograms, no one really has them here that I've seen. However, when I went to North Carolina for the weekend.. Holy crap, they were everywhere. I went walking around my FMIL's neighborhood down in Durham and I saw several monogrammed door ornaments- The Pinterest kind of monogram, not the "regular" kind (regular meaning what I think of when I envision a monogram). I also saw monogrammed car stickers, house decor, wallets, etc.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

What is it about outdoor activities and ugly shoes? I was irrationally happy when Vibram Five Fingers had to refund customers due to unsubstantiated health claims because there went the last thing people defended them with.

. . . A Chaco wearer calling the Vibram Five Fingers people black, I suppose.

• Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

levioosa said:

FI is a big fan of crocs for his lake shoes.  He hates flip flops, so they are his go to shoe. I cringe.......
    Crocs are pretty much the best thing ever in the middle of the night when I'm camping and have to pee but don't feel like the hassle of lacing up hiking boots or taking off my socks for flip flops.  I'll also use them for a shower shoe if we're actually at a campground and not in the middle of the woods. There were useful when I was lifeguarding because my feet would get painfully cold on the deck but they were a shoe I could kick off in a second if I needed to be in the water. 

We used to have a guy come into the restaurant I worked at in a nice tailored business suit...and then crocs.  Oh honey no.  He also used to come in with the business suit and those fugly toe shoes (I think they're called Vibrams?)

ETF:Words

• Options
    levioosa said:

levioosa said:

Crocs are pretty much the best thing ever in the middle of the night when I'm camping and have to pee but don't feel like the hassle of lacing up hiking boots or taking off my socks for flip flops.  I'll also use them for a shower shoe if we're actually at a campground and not in the middle of the woods. There were useful when I was lifeguarding because my feet would get painfully cold on the deck but they were a shoe I could kick off in a second if I needed to be in the water. 

We used to have a guy come into the restaurant I worked out in a nice tailored business suit...and then crocs.  Oh honey no.  He also used to come in with the business suit and those fugly toe shoes (I think they're called Vibrams?)
    Why God? Why?! Maybe he was a real outdoor enthusiast?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards