Chit Chat
Options

Monogram Snark

Re: Monogram Snark

• Options
    I forgot I own this...

I have one at home and one at work and I drink every cup of coffee out of them because they have this awesome sturdy base that makes them nearly impossible for the klutz here to knock over. They're from Anthro and someone gave them to me as a Christmas gift a while ago.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:

I forgot I own this...

I have one at home and one at work and I drink every cup of coffee out of them because they have this awesome sturdy base that makes them nearly impossible for the klutz here to knock over. They're from Anthro and someone gave them to me as a Christmas gift a while ago.

I love those mugs.  I got one of the Gold ones that Anthropologie has at Christmas time...
  • Options

levioosa said:

levioosa said:

I think I owned a monogrammed necklace when I was like 12 and they were popular in my area.  And my Aunt bought me a purse with my first initial on it...but that's it.  I'm generally not a fan of monogrammed things. 

And, chaco hate away, they're great for camping.  I'd never be caught dead wearing them out normally though.  Same goes for crocs.  They're awesome for camping and housework. 

FI is a big fan of crocs for his lake shoes.  He hates flip flops, so they are his go to shoe. I cringe.......
    Crocs are pretty much the best thing ever in the middle of the night when I'm camping and have to pee but don't feel like the hassle of lacing up hiking boots or taking off my socks for flip flops.  I'll also use them for a shower shoe if we're actually at a campground and not in the middle of the woods. There were useful when I was lifeguarding because my feet would get painfully cold on the deck but they were a shoe I could kick off in a second if I needed to be in the water. 

We used to have a guy come into the restaurant I worked out in a nice tailored business suit...and then crocs.  Oh honey no.  He also used to come in with the business suit and those fugly toe shoes (I think they're called Vibrams?)
    Why God? Why?! Maybe he was a real outdoor enthusiast?
    That's still no excuse.  I mean, I don't give a fuck what people wear when they're camping.  I've worn some...eclectic...outfits myself when out in the woods.  But I feel like dressing up in a nice suit and then throwing on crocs probably doesn't make the best first impression in a business sense.

Oh, and I forgot, I totally own this mug from Anthropologie.  My BFF bought us matching ones for her house (we drink a lot of tea together) and then when she moved she gave it to me to keep. 

• Options

I love those mugs too @levioosa

Just anything from Anthropologie really.

• Options
    I'm on board with the croc hate. 

DH has a mushroom colored pair of croc slippers that he loves like his own child. Like crocs with a fleece liner that comes out and can be washed. They are quite possibly the ugliest, grossest thing I've ever seen. I've schemed many times ways to "lose" them, but he loves them so much.....
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I'm just not into monograms.

But it only bothers me when the 'grams re obnoxiously huge or showy, like the one you mentioned on the car.
  • Options

I'm on board with the croc hate. 

DH has a mushroom colored pair of croc slippers that he loves like his own child. Like crocs with a fleece liner that comes out and can be washed. They are quite possibly the ugliest, grossest thing I've ever seen. I've schemed many times ways to "lose" them, but he loves them so much.....
    FI gets mad (in a playful way) if I slip them on to go outside and let the dogs out.. He's all, don't mess up my crocs! 
  • Options
    @princessgracekelly and @emmaaa

YOU ARE DESCRIBING EVERY GIRL THAT ATTENDED MY COLLEGE. Like. To a fucking T. It's bringing on quite the wave of nostalgia. Thanks for that. (Also, PGK, I just want to make your sig my desktop background, and my phone background, and imprint it on my eyeballs. It makes me laugh EVERY TIME I SEE IT.)

On the Crocs-hating bandwagon: my dad lives in those things. I haven't really seen him wear anything else in about 4 years. Occasionally he will put on tennis shoes for fancy occasions or if we're traveling, but his day-to-day life is spent in Crocs in worsening shape until he buys new ones. He swears they're "good for his feet."

I might build a pair of black Crocs into my wedding budget for him, and give them to him the morning of our wedding so they aren't disgusting. But if I could tell him what to wear, it would be "PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THE HOLY THINGS IN THIS WORLD DO NOT WEAR CROCS TO MY WEDDING. PLEASE." (<--yes, said in the loudest voice I could muster.)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Raises hand in shame...I wear crocs a lot, just at home or really quickly to the store. 

• Options
    I have a pair of Crocs flats that are the most comfortable thing IN THE WORLD. I wear them all the time.

• Options
    emmaaa said:

Raises hand in shame...I wear crocs a lot, just at home or really quickly to the store. 

lol.  Not really.  I've worn PJs to the store before. *joins you in shame*

• Options
    They look like this:
  • Options
    emmaaaemmaaa mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2015
    levioosa said:

emmaaa said:

lol.  Not really.  I've worn PJs to the store before. *joins you in shame*
    HAHA! I had to clarify that I don't wear them thinking they are appropriate for work or church or weddings. 

And mine aren't cute like the ones @ashley8918 posted. They look like this:

• Options
    I really want to get a pair of chacos. I used to have a pair that was similar, but a different brand, but I left them under a bed in a hotel room.  I think they are really awesome sandals.  Obviously, I wouldn't wear them when I was trying to look cute, but for canoeing or kayaking or camping or hanging out on the beach with a bonfire.
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    hellohkb said:

I had to Google Chacos. They're the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Second place: anything Lilly Pulitzer. Looks like someone barfed up a mai tai.
    That's the best description of it I've ever seen. I think that is exactly why I love Lilly. 

As for monograms, no one really has them here that I've seen. However, when I went to North Carolina for the weekend.. Holy crap, they were everywhere. I went walking around my FMIL's neighborhood down in Durham and I saw several monogrammed door ornaments- The Pinterest kind of monogram, not the "regular" kind (regular meaning what I think of when I envision a monogram). I also saw monogrammed car stickers, house decor, wallets, etc.
    Confession: I have a giant curly cue single letter monogram of our last name's initial hanging from our backdoor.

• Options
    @ashley8918 those are actually cute.
  • Options
    labro said:

hellohkb said:

I had to Google Chacos. They're the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Second place: anything Lilly Pulitzer. Looks like someone barfed up a mai tai.
    That's the best description of it I've ever seen. I think that is exactly why I love Lilly. 

As for monograms, no one really has them here that I've seen. However, when I went to North Carolina for the weekend.. Holy crap, they were everywhere. I went walking around my FMIL's neighborhood down in Durham and I saw several monogrammed door ornaments- The Pinterest kind of monogram, not the "regular" kind (regular meaning what I think of when I envision a monogram). I also saw monogrammed car stickers, house decor, wallets, etc.
    Confession: I have a giant curly cue single letter monogram of our last name's initial hanging from our backdoor.
    I can deal with that.  As I said, I have quite a bit of monogrammed stuff, but it's not over the top, aka riding boots, or across your back windshield, or my northface, or running shorts, or any of that nonsense. I do like the wooden monograms for door hangings or whatever.
  • Options
    littlepep said:

labro said:

FTR I see those car monograms all the damn time...although I've yet to see one that actually takes up most of the rear window. That'd be something! More often its the car monogram plus the weird stick families.

Don't even get me started on the stick families... ugh!
    I've been thinking about getting this though. 

I don't care enough to get one, but I do chuckle when I see them.

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:

littlepep said:

labro said:

FTR I see those car monograms all the damn time...although I've yet to see one that actually takes up most of the rear window. That'd be something! More often its the car monogram plus the weird stick families.

Don't even get me started on the stick families... ugh!
    I've been thinking about getting this though. 

I don't care enough to get one, but I do chuckle when I see them.

I would almost get the dinosaur one just because it's so awesome.  I love that!
  • Options

I knew someone with a monogram tattoo. It was odd. I can see if it was in honor of someone, but your own monogram? Really?

@sarawifenow I agree - very odd.  I don't get tattoos with a monogram or [someone's own] name.  Is it so you can look down on your body in case you forget your name? 
  • Options
    *raises hand in shame*

I was a southern sorority girl who dressed just like that. It's honestly just the culture. If you notice, most (if not all) hipsters look the same. 

I was also a camp counselor and an outdoor enthusiast who actually used the Chacos and North Face stuff for it's intended purpose.

I also like to look like a mai tai barfed on me. Colors are great, y'all!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

*raises hand in shame*

I was a southern sorority girl who dressed just like that. It's honestly just the culture. If you notice, most (if not all) hipsters look the same. 

I was also a camp counselor and an outdoor enthusiast who actually used the Chacos and North Face stuff for it's intended purpose.

Oh we've most certainly snarked on the glasses/beard/flannel/skinny jeans/boots uniform before too. No one is immune!

• Options
    labrolabro member

*raises hand in shame*

Confession: If my sister has a little girl in September I'm totally dressing her in ALL the Lilly Pulitzer....

• Options
    labro said:

*raises hand in shame*

Confession: If my sister has a little girl in September I'm totally dressing her in ALL the Lilly Pulitzer....

omg That's absolutely precious!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    labro said:

*raises hand in shame*

Here's the real question.....................................

Will you monogram that Lilly dress though???

• Options
    labrolabro member
    @plainjane0415 No way! It'd probably take away from that cute print. Nope, my sister is getting a monogrammed diaper bag instead lol!

• Options

labro said:

*raises hand in shame*

Here's the real question.....................................

Will you monogram that Lilly dress though???

Not if you want to sell that thing later to recoup some of the costs! There is quite the market for used baby clothes since they outgrow stuff in about 4 seconds. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards