Wedding Etiquette Forum

Engagement.

Re: Engagement.

• But fuck me for caring I guess.

Do you seriously not see how bizarrely dramatic and over-the-top you're being about this?  Good Christ.

• My fiancé doesn't get emotional very often at all. And he has over this. 

We've done are best. We're not ruining anyone's vacation.

Have none of you ever been disappointed before? Or expected a different outcome? 
    Sure, but I do not burst (multible times mind you) into tears over a lack of acknowledgement of something (regardless of what that something is).  Especially from someone who is going through their own emotional stress at the time.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    My fiancé doesn't get emotional very often at all. And he has over this. 

We've done are best. We're not ruining anyone's vacation.

Have none of you ever been disappointed before? Or expected a different outcome? 
    Sure, but I do not burst (multible times mind you) into tears over a lack of acknowledgement of something (regardless of what that something is).  Especially from someone who is going through their own emotional stress at the time.

This.  There is a big difference between being disappointed and bursting into tears over something.  Does it suck that she hasn't acknowledged your engagement?  Sure.  But to repeatedly cry over it is just down right crazy.

•  
    If you keep obsessing over your FSIL, you will ruin your own vacation.  Go give Kauai Backcountry Adventures a call and go on their tubing trip.  Or better yet, book a luau at Kilohana Plantation.  You are staying at a timeshare, it is a Wyndham brand?  They have discounted ticket pricing and a bus to take you to the luau and back!  Get your fill of the mai tais and all will be good in the world.  And don't forget to drink ALL the POG!
    Ahhh yes @OliveOilsMom! Yes to all of this. I did these two things on my Kauai honeymoon. Two of my favorite things! Plus the shaved snow at Uncle's and the ice cream from Lapperts. Did you do the rum tasting before your luau at Kilohan?
    @dramamonkey we did not.  We even had tickets for a free tasting, but we got there too late due to traffic through Kapaa.  We were really looking forward to it!  Just another reason to go back again!
  • Your FMIL is crying too? WTF is going on with this family? I'd dial it down OP, in case there is something going on that you and fi don't know about. 

I have a suggestion. You should take FMIL out for one of those drinks they serve in a pineapple. Do they still make Zombies? Cause that's what you need. You keep ordering Zombies, cry it out until you are exhausted and drunk and go back to the condo and sleep it off. If you're still sad tomorrow, go to the bar and order another Zombie. Lather, rinse and repeat. I hope you get some beach time though.
    OMG! I love ZOMBIES! I'm totally making these this long weekend! I even have marachinos and little umbrellas...
  • edited July 2015
    @TixieJess are you going to make them in pineapples? 

Image result for drink in a pineapple

No one could be sad  while drinking one of these, right?

• @TixieJess are you going to make them in pineapples? 

Image result for drink in a pineapple

No one could be sad  while drinking one of these, right?

Why not? I could use the guts of the pineapple for pina coladas later in the day!
  • Congrats on your engagement!!!
  • People did not fall over themselves congratulating me on my engagement and I didn't even think to hear from my future in-laws. But you know what? I didn't give a shit because I was SO happy and thrilled to be engaged to the love of my life.

You're in HAWAII. And newly engaged! You should be over the moon excited and not be worrying over such minor crap. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Wow.

I honestly never thought about tallying who congratulated us and who didn't. That just seems odd to me.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• You're right, thank you. I thought it over, if she doesn't want our support as a family then fine so be it. I am over the moon about our engagement and I can't wait to spend my life with him. That's all that matters now.
  • You're right, thank you. I thought it over, if she doesn't want our support as a family then fine so be it. I am over the moon about our engagement and I can't wait to spend my life with him. That's all that matters now.
    So since she hasn't congratulated you then you won't support her during her divorce?

• Not saying that. She doesn't really want to be around the family and she obviously needs time alone.
  • Well...this thread is interesting. 

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• I am kind of a loner on vacations I LOVE time to relax.. my family can get under my skin at times without meaning to. Maybe she's just try to relax. Be honest.. doesn't it seem you may be a bit up tight to get that upset over someone so small? She probably knows or senses that and is staying CLEAR on her vacation.
  • Why does her not saying "congratulations" on your personal, made-up timeline mean she's not supportive of your family? Maybe she is very supportive, but needs some time to herself.

There's this thing called dual perspective, wherein you should try not to jump to conclusions about other peoples' motivations. In fact, psychological studies say we often interpret people's motivations as more malicious than they actually are.

Again, I suggest trying to be supportive of her, since she is going through a tough life-change (even if her marriage was not motivated out of love, the divorce may still be a stressful event).

• Yeah, good for her. She needs that.
  • Not saying that. She doesn't really want to be around the family and she obviously needs time alone.
    Uh. Isn't she on vacation with all of you? 

• I never said she wasn't supportive. She needs to be alone. I respect that. I never expected her to be gun ho about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards