Wedding Etiquette Forum

Engagement.

Re: Engagement.

• Yeah but I guess she didn't want to go to begin with. She tried to have her mother cancel her flight and her mother got pissed off.
  • Yeah but I guess she didn't want to go to begin with. She tried to have her mother cancel her flight and her mother got pissed off.

What? If you know that, why are you taking her self isolation so personally? 

• The vacation hasn't been about us at all or the "newly engaged couple". We are aware of what she's going through. Like I said we aren't brown nosing her by any means. She doesn't acknowledge us when we are in the same room together. We invite her to things and make an effort, she'd rather be alone. That's fine.
  • I couldn't for the life of me tell you who did or did not reach out to say congratulations after my engagement. I'm sure there were people in my life and/or our families who acted just like you're future SIL but I never noticed because I either wasn't thinking about my new engagement (it wasn't the end-all-be-all of my life, never mind anyone else's), or I was too busy saying "OMG I'm engaged! Isn't that great! I can't wait to plan the wedding. What do you think I should do? Ahhhhh!" to even notice that the person didn't congratulate me or mention the engagement. 

Also, you get to choose your fiance but you get stuck with their family. It's a fact of life. It doesn't matter if you always wanted to end up with a big loving family of in-laws, or a family that travels together, or a MIL who takes you under her wing as a daughter, or a SIL who acts like a best friend and sister. You get whatever potentially-crappy potentially-obnoxious potentially-doesn't-like-you family your fiance comes with. It would be good for you to adjust your expectations now. 
  • The vacation hasn't been about us at all or the "newly engaged couple". We are aware of what she's going through. Like I said we aren't brown nosing her by any means. She doesn't acknowledge us when we are in the same room together. We invite her to things and make an effort, she'd rather be alone. That's fine.
    I hope this is you taking what we said here and re-evaluating your OP rant.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I was being a bit selfish or thinking about just my own feelings but I was in a moment of sadness. We make an effort, what more can we do for? Some people don't want that.
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I was being a bit selfish or thinking about just my own feelings but I was in a moment of sadness. We make an effort, what more can we do for? Some people don't want that.

Please learn to use the quote button.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • OP - Has it dawned on anyone in your FI's family that FSIL may be battling a bit of depression over her failed marriage.  Just because it was an arranged marriage for the purpose of a green card, doesn't mean that FSIL didn't develop real feelings for her H.  Perhaps she also was hopeful that her H would return the feelings she felt for him and now that it hasn't happened and they are divorcing, she is feeling that impact.  I think you should be a little concerned for FSIL that she is isolating herself so much from the rest of the group.  While some time alone may be good for her, but so much time alone may be a sign she needs some help.

Also, as a PP said, please use the "Quote" button at the bottom of a post, if you want to reply to that specific person.  It can be hard to follow who you are responding to.

• I want to know how your sister found out about your engagement.  Did you or her brother tell her? Was it from an FB post?  I see nothing in your posts about you or your brother calling and telling her. Presumably, if you had actually told her, she would have said "Oh how nice, congratulations!" 

It sounds like she found out via social media or another person, and honestly, I would be incredibly hurt if I found out that way about a sibling's big news.  Maybe she's hurt that you guys didn't make the effort to tell her in person or at least give her a call.
    This. I just went back and read the OP and it doesn't mention in there about if the OP called to tell everyone the news or not. I certainly hope that you two at least called the important people in your lives, ex. parents and siblings, first prior to posting it anywhere on social media.

As the only sister out of five children, I can tell you I would be hurt if I found out any of my brothers got engaged via social media rather than a call to me or one from my parents. And I'm not particularly close with some of them but that is a common courtesy to give to your parents and siblings.
    Formerly known as bubbles053009

• I feel for your FSIL even more now. She's going through a shitty time in her life. She probably didn't want to be on a family vacation but her mom basically forced her to go. And now she's got you crying because she didn't say congrats. And you're causing unnecessary drama on a family vacation. Honestly, if I had a SIL behave like that, I wouldn't want to be friends with her either. 

Did you or your FI call her directly to tell her you had gotten engaged? 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I want to know how your sister found out about your engagement.  Did you or her brother tell her? Was it from an FB post?  I see nothing in your posts about you or your brother calling and telling her. Presumably, if you had actually told her, she would have said "Oh how nice, congratulations!" 

It sounds like she found out via social media or another person, and honestly, I would be incredibly hurt if I found out that way about a sibling's big news.  Maybe she's hurt that you guys didn't make the effort to tell her in person or at least give her a call.
    Good point!  I know when my brother and SIL found out they were pregnant I was never told. I didn't see it on social media but months later my mom made a comment I was like oh are they having a baby?  Mom was like yea didn't you know, and I said nope no one ever told me. They'd told the rest of the family but forgot me I guess.  I was hurt and never reached out to say congrats....petty of me probably but until they actually told me about it I didn't say anything.
  • I still haven't congratulated my "future sister in law" (we'll see) who almost got engaged at my wedding (thanks, MIL!). 

I only came in here to see if this was about me! lol

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Not saying that. She doesn't really want to be around the family and she obviously needs time alone.

HOLD UP

Are you including yourself in "the family"?  As in, her actual family? 

And when you say "there are now 5 of you so you had to move rooms" - did you horn in on this vacation bc of your engagement, or were you always scheduled to go?

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited July 2015
    Okay ladies, I'm not some cry baby bitch that is being insensitive to my FSIL's feelings. And thank you to the few people that actually gave me supportive and good advice. I even appreciate the advice that I didn't want to hear but needed to. But geez, some of you ladies are just being straight insensitive to my feelings as well. There are nicer ways to say things. And yes, maybe my story does sound one sided. It was. Obviously you all are not going to know the full story. However, she did decide to marry one of her college friends just so he could get citizenship. Were they in love? No. Did they get married for the right reasons? No. They didn't kiss at the court house, they didn't have a honeymoon, he split after the nice luncheon her mother paid for, and his parents awkwardly thanked her as they were leaving. No, I did NOT expect her to be over the moon and back about our engagement. All I fucking would have liked was a simple hi or congrats. I didn't think it was that hard? I didn't even realize like I said before that it would mean anything to me. It took one of my other family members a while to say congrats to me too. I didn't cry over that. I didn't even care! I would have been a lot more empathetic had I known she was going through it. When she got divorced, we all thought it was part of the plan that had previously been discussed when it was first arranged. His sister has claimed that she likes me, I know she's going through a rough time. I do respect that she needs time to grieve. But to mutter one word... I'm sorry. My bad, I guess. I didn't ask her to stare at my fucking ring or take a picture for memories. I'm not brown nosing her about all our plans and ideas. This trip isn't about us or me. I know that. I'm sorry his parents actually don't exactly side with her either. That his mom is actually crying over everything that is happening too. We all feel bad, we are here to support her as her family. Not bring the family dynamic down. We invite her to things, she says no. Fine. Fuck it. I was fucking hurt is all. I needed to vent. I wanted support. Good advice not rude comments, even if I am being a bit sensitive or insensitive to her. But fuck me for caring I guess.
    So maybe's she's bummed that her friend, who she entered into a sham marriage with, is now possibly getting deported? I imagine you'd have to be pretty fucking close to someone to risk the legal and financial ramifications of immigration fraud.  Myabe she really *did* have feelings for him?

Or she's just not that into you.

GTFO off TK and enjoy Kawaii, FFS!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Wait, the more I read, the less any of this makes sense.

So are you saying that your SIL, who was part of a sham marriage in order to participate in immigration fraud, actually *is* upset over divorcing her friend/husband. . . even though he left her as soon as the luncheon the day of their ceremony?

Because before you divulged that info, you were making it sound like she wasn't upset over the divorce. . . but now she needs time alone?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Wait, the more I read, the less any of this makes sense.

So are you saying that your SIL, who was part of a sham marriage in order to participate in immigration fraud, actually *is* upset over divorcing her friend/husband. . . even though he left her as soon as the luncheon the day of their ceremony?

Because before you divulged that info, you were making it sound like she wasn't upset over the divorce. . . but now she needs time alone?

There is no place for common sense in this thread. I mean, why be on a computer when you are in Hawaii!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards