Wedding 911

FMIL crisis

Re: FMIL crisis

• PupatellaPupatella member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2015
    Pupatella said:
    I would make new arrangements for the party and not count on your FMIL to host.

Also, there is nothing wrong with having a party post wedding!! My FI and I are doing that back in our home towns after our wedding. But there is no DJ, I won't be wearing my wedding dress, etc. Will there be food and fun? Absolutely!! But it's just more of a backyard BBQ, where my family and friends that won't be traveling for our wedding can meet my new H, and vise versa. What's wrong with planning something like this? I think that takes off a lot of stress if you aren't planning a second "reception".
    That's basically what our celebration was meant to be.  Regardless of what takes place at this event I still need to find a new venue and the DJ is already paid for, so we will have music.  I do agree that as far as the decorations and things go, it is probably better to tone things down and maybe consider a different time for the event so we don't have to try to provide a full meal anymore.  Something more informal will be easier to accommodate in our budget.  Thanks for sharing!
    :) For my families' hometown party, my Mom is planning an "open house party". Just come and go as you please type thing. There will be plenty of food, drinks, and desserts out for people to eat, and plenty of seating areas for people to sit, eat, and visit. I'm really looking forward to spending time with everyone!! I'm not planning on having any decorations. My Mom insisted on sending out invitations, but honestly they weren't really necessary. You can just send out an email invite with an RSVP function. I'm guessing my Mom will have some sort of music on, but I highly doubt there will be any dancing. 

If you go this route, I think the costs can be quite reasonable. My Mom is having some of the dishes ordered from restaurants, and is cooking some of the dishes herself. 

If your FMIL's house is off limits now that she isn't hosting, what about checking out your local community clubhouse if you want to do something similar?

Best of luck!!

• Heffalump said:
    Serious question:  if you recognize that this is not a good time/place for your guests, then why is it so important that it be then/there?  This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely wondering.  It must be a pretty big reason.
    Does it really matter what reason I give?  You obviously don't agree, so no matter what I say you are going to criticize me and tell me how terrible it is for me to put our guests through that.

The opinions that matter in this area (namely our families and our other invited guests) have already provided their opinions on the matter.  Our reasoning for our choices really doesn't matter for the sake of this forum or your genuine curiosity.
  • Wait a second. Are you having the "celebration" because there are guests not invited to the wedding or because there are guests who won't want to brave the cold? 
  • You should change the location and not count on your FMIL to be cooperative. This happening now is annoying enough. What would you do if it happened again right before the wedding? Too risky for my taste.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Did you say the wedding party attire is winter coats and boots? As in you are making them buy matching coats and boots? Between that and the fact that it sounds like you are inviting people to the shower, but not to the ceremony...I can't process anything else. But congrats on knowing is rude to say no gifts on your invites, clearly you know all there it's the know about etiquette. :unamused:
    I'm thinking Swampers or Snowmobile boots!?!?!?  .. Or maybe they're getting married up at Da Yooper's Tourist Trap and don't want anyone to know here Eh!...
  • First post ever over here! Wow, really good advise from other posts, I know you didn't come here for that but seriously, nix the FMIL's reception thing and make the hot chocolate bar after the ceremony a real reception with first dance, alc. beverages, cake cutting etc.! Also I'd have hot chocolate already waiting before the ceremony for guests to drink during (you could write something on the drinks like "to keep your hands warm!") and a blanket on each seat. If you can't afford a real meal you could have a "cocktail reception" just let guests know this beforehand and have PLENTY of appetizers and of course real drinks, could even do a hard hot cider drink? 

Now what I really came here to say... I'm from Minnesota, been here for 22 years, lived in Michigan for 2 years while FI got his Masters degree. There are a handful of days during the winter that are a complete winter wonderland. I'm talking warm and sunny where you don't mind being outside and there is bright white snow everywhere! That being said, there are aboutttttttt 7 days out of the year total that are like that. More importantly, there is no way one could plan for this kind of day in the winter, it'd be a complete shot in the dark. Just thought I'd give you this insider information. 

• edited October 2015
    First post ever over here! Wow, really good advise from other posts, I know you didn't come here for that but seriously, nix the FMIL's reception thing and make the hot chocolate bar after the ceremony a real reception with first dance, alc. beverages, cake cutting etc.! Also I'd have hot chocolate already waiting before the ceremony for guests to drink during (you could write something on the drinks like "to keep your hands warm!") and a blanket on each seat. If you can't afford a real meal you could have a "cocktail reception" just let guests know this beforehand and have PLENTY of appetizers and of course real drinks, could even do a hard hot cider drink? 

Now what I really came here to say... I'm from Minnesota, been here for 22 years, lived in Michigan for 2 years while FI got his Masters degree. There are a handful of days during the winter that are a complete winter wonderland. I'm talking warm and sunny where you don't mind being outside and there is bright white snow everywhere! That being said, there are aboutttttttt 7 days out of the year total that are like that. More importantly, there is no way one could plan for this kind of day in the winter, it'd be a complete shot in the dark. Just thought I'd give you this insider information. 

We understand the risks of having a winter wedding.  Of course we hope for the "winter wonderland" where everything is perfect, but we also realize that it could be a freak blizzard in March.  We have alternative plans if the weather is less than cooperative and have even ensured that our rental is covered in the event that weather prevents travel that weekend.  I appreciate all of the tips you gave as well.  I will put more effort into making our intimate reception more appreciative and include more than a gourmet hot chocolate bar (no we weren't doing quick mix hot chocolate in styrofoam cups, but that seems to be the impression everyone has).  

As far as attire goes, the bridesmaids helped pick out the coats...they are wool blend peacoats not huge puffy coats.  The boots are not snow boots and were also picked by the bridesmaids to fit their personal preference.  ALL of the bridesmaids were excited about the attire because it is something they will reuse every year.  I have ordered matching fleece-lined hand muffs as my gift to them.  Perfect for incorporating the wedding colors and the perfect place to put a hand warmer if needed!

Our guests, who supported the plan, know to dress warmly (and none will look like snowmen) and we will provide extra blankets, just in case.  I will probably look at investing in extra hand warmers as well or taking your suggestion and having the hot chocolate available beforehand as well.

We are hosting a separate "celebration" later for our guests that are unable to make the ceremony due to travel, health, etc.  We opted for a non-traditional wedding ceremony (which is completely acceptable) and as such, have modified traditions to fit our plan.  If people feel offended by our approach, then I encourage them to decline our invitation to attend.  No one is obligated to come to something they don't agree with.   
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    Heffalump said:
    Serious question:  if you recognize that this is not a good time/place for your guests, then why is it so important that it be then/there?  This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely wondering.  It must be a pretty big reason.
    Does it really matter what reason I give?  You obviously don't agree, so no matter what I say you are going to criticize me and tell me how terrible it is for me to put our guests through that.

The opinions that matter in this area (namely our families and our other invited guests) have already provided their opinions on the matter.  Our reasoning for our choices really doesn't matter for the sake of this forum or your genuine curiosity.

But this is why I don't understand the whole "get married here and then have a big celebration with everyone else later" thing.  Why not just have the whole shabang at one time? Why have the stress of two different parties/events, which are essentially for the same damn thing?  If you want to celebrate your marriage with everyone then why not just invite them to your wedding?  I really don't, and probably will never, understand this mindset.  I don't get wanting to celebrate with everyone but then planning your wedding with only a handful of people and then a huge part months later.  Why?

But in regards to your situation, nix the party in May.  You don't need it and it seems like financially you can't afford it.  So enjoy your winter wedding (and please host more then just hot chocolate) in MI and then go on with your married life and raising your kid.  Seriously, why stress and stretch yourself thin money wise just to have a party?  If it is so important to celebrate with all of these people then you will just postpone everything (wedding and this party), save up the money you need and then throw ONE wedding and invite everyone to it.

• You're making these people buy freaking BOATS?!

But really, can you just answer whether or not everyone who is invited to the party at home is also invited to MI?
    It's a typo...it really doesn't need ridiculous attention drawn to it.

Anyone that wants to come to the ceremony can come.  They are expected to front all travel and accommodations as needed to attend.  We will provide a reception that reflects the number of people attending.  We only discussed our plans with immediate family and the wedding party before moving forward to ensure our VIPs would still want to attend.  My FI does not care if we host a larger celebration later or not, so it is possible that we will revoke our Save the Date and not have a bigger get together.

As I mentioned before: since most of our VIPs are unable to stay after the ceremony, we planned on hosting a gourmet hot chocolate bar as a thank you (in addition to us covering the costs of the houses for the weekend and other associated expenses) and to help people warm up after the ceremony.  Our bar would have multiple hot chocolate options, toppings, etc. including alcohol for those that wish to add a little extra heat to their drinks and don't plan on driving immediately.  Since everything is on site, the bar will be available before the ceremony as well as after.  Taking advice from others, I will also plan on adding some light appetizers to accompany the hot chocolate so that people do not feel offended or disappointed by the reception.

Back to my original question:  I appreciate the suggestion that the later event is not necessary, so we should cancel it if we feel it is not within our budget.  Like I said, my FI is not bothered by that idea.  I would like to still offer an alternative to our guests because our wedding is not to everyone's liking, but maybe we need to tone it down and make it less formal than our original plan so that it is more affordable for us.   
  • None of your loved ones are going to tell you to your face that your idea is terrible. And honey, this is a freaking TERRIBLE idea. You're making your bridal party buy coats and boots. Do you really not see how ridiculous that is? If you have to give people hand warmers and blankets to witness your ceremony, YOU'RE DOING IT ALL WRONG. 

Your guests shouldn't have to suffer cold temperatures. That's crazy. If you are so insistent on being married outside during winter, then you should elope and not invite anyone else to attend. 

Skip the party in May. As a PP said, it doesn't seem like you can even afford it. 
  • edited October 2015
    **Removed for TOS Violation**
  • edited October 2015
    Again, if you don't give two shits about our opinion, we don't give two shits about your problem. Simple as that. Best of luck!
  • edited October 2015
    Yeah, I don't think that means what you think it does. But that's hilarious. Good luck to you! 
  • So….you don't give four shits?
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• rrjacks88 said:
    First post ever over here! Wow, really good advise from other posts, I know you didn't come here for that but seriously, nix the FMIL's reception thing and make the hot chocolate bar after the ceremony a real reception with first dance, alc. beverages, cake cutting etc.! Also I'd have hot chocolate already waiting before the ceremony for guests to drink during (you could write something on the drinks like "to keep your hands warm!") and a blanket on each seat. If you can't afford a real meal you could have a "cocktail reception" just let guests know this beforehand and have PLENTY of appetizers and of course real drinks, could even do a hard hot cider drink? 

We understand the risks of having a winter wedding.  Of course we hope for the "winter wonderland" where everything is perfect, but we also realize that it could be a freak blizzard in March.  We have alternative plans if the weather is less than cooperative and have even ensured that our rental is covered in the event that weather prevents travel that weekend.  I appreciate all of the tips you gave as well.  I will put more effort into making our intimate reception more appreciative and include more than a gourmet hot chocolate bar (no we weren't doing quick mix hot chocolate in styrofoam cups, but that seems to be the impression everyone has).  

As far as attire goes, the bridesmaids helped pick out the coats...they are wool blend peacoats not huge puffy coats.  The boots are not snow boots and were also picked by the bridesmaids to fit their personal preference.  ALL of the bridesmaids were excited about the attire because it is something they will reuse every year.  I have ordered matching fleece-lined hand muffs as my gift to them.  Perfect for incorporating the wedding colors and the perfect place to put a hand warmer if needed!

Our guests, who supported the plan, know to dress warmly (and none will look like snowmen) and we will provide extra blankets, just in case.  I will probably look at investing in extra hand warmers as well or taking your suggestion and having the hot chocolate available beforehand as well.

We are hosting a separate "celebration" later for our guests that are unable to make the ceremony due to travel, health, etc.  We opted for a non-traditional wedding ceremony (which is completely acceptable) and as such, have modified traditions to fit our plan.  If people feel offended by our approach, then I encourage them to decline our invitation to attend.  No one is obligated to come to something they don't agree with.   
    Sorry, but if it is part of the "wedding uniform" it is NOT a gift. Get your nearest and dearest an actual gift. Not some crap that they have to wear to complete your "vision". That is almost as offensive as this freezer section wedding disaster.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015

Next, the reason people are commenting on your reception is because people are spending money and time to go to your wedding and all you are giving them in return is hot chocolate. Think of it this way, if you were invited down to a wedding in the Florida Keys, were outside in the sun and after all you got was lemonade, how disappointing is that? I'm sure you would be commenting on here about the poor hosting. Which is what you are doing.

Yes your wedding vision is important to you, but the comfort of your guests should be even more important. You say they don't care what you do because they love you, well don't you care equally back to them? Why would you want to treat them poorly? Has it occurred to you that the reason not many people want to come to your wedding because of the conditions? 

I would rather have a bunch of internet strangers tell me my idea is bad rather than treat my friends and family poorly and have them snark on me behind my back. You should read a few threads around the site to see how much people talk about bad/poorly hosted weddings they go to.
    thespeshulestsnowflake get an AMEN?!?!?!?! 
  • edited October 2015
    We have planned accordingly for the weather. Guests have been encouraged to dress warmly and we will be providing blankets.  The wedding party attire is winter appropriate (matching coats, boots, etc.).

The ceremony will be done within 30 minutes, so it's not like they will have to stand out in the cold for a long time.  We are doing a hot chocolate bar immediately following the ceremony.
    Um, I'm sorry PPs have covered this, but have you ever stood outside in really cold weather for any amount of time? Michigan can get well below zero. I've stood around in single digit temps out at my barn. . .it's not something I care to do unless I really have to, certainly not for a wedding.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• edited October 2015
    This is simple. Cancel the entire "reception" (it's not a reception at all) and only have the MI wedding. Bam. done. 

And regardless of how you encourage people to dress, I think it's tacky as shit to have an outdoor ceremony in the winter in Michigan. Why? For pretty pictures?
    You're right it's not a "reception" in the traditional sense, however it is a time for our families to come together and celebrate our wedding.  Call it what you want.  Second,  we approached our family and wedding party about our idea for the Michigan wedding before planning it because we did not want to put anyone out.  Everyone was supportive of the idea.  The brief ceremony is taking place right outside of the houses and everyone will go back inside immediately following the ceremony.  The ceremony is not the point of this post and as such is not a part of the discussion that follows.  I am looking for advise on the reception.  I appreciate your advise to just cancel the entire reception.
    If anyone, my BFF, my sister, my child, *anyone,* told me that their wedding plans were for an outdoor reception in the winter in Michigan. . .my response would be nothing short of "Are you fucking kidding me?!" Followed by a "decline" in record time. ETA: Your bridesmaids' attire is not going to cut it. I've spent over a decade commuting by bus through the winter in the Northeast, and the past 3 years most of late November- March has been below 20 or colder, especially with the windchill. This is what I wear all winter long to and from work, with insulated neoprene boots: http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-down-long-coat/id_274250_59?cm_mmc=139971612&source=GS&003=56492216&010=4005089 I also own a wool peacoat. . . It is no way near long enough or warm enough to be standing around outside for any length of time when it's below 30.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards