Wedding 911

FMIL crisis

My fiance and I have been together for 5 years.  We found out we were pregnant after only a few months together, so our families joined long before our wedding.  Over the past 5 years things have been pretty good between his family and me, especially considering our differences.  I made some internal sacrifices and compromises on little things so that I wasn't stepping on toes and to show respect for his family.  As our son has gotten older, I have felt more pressure from his parents, specifically his mother, in regards to our son.  She practically helped raise her first grandchild because her mother had her when when was like 18.  In my opinion, she has gotten a little too used to the control and flexibility that she has had when it came to vacations and the like.  

More recently I have started voicing my disagreements with things and speaking up when I was not okay with something.  Instead of being understanding and respectful (like I thought she would given her past), my FMIL became defensive and continued to push to do things I already said I was not okay with in regards to our son.  

(We are doing a getaway wedding, so the rest of this is pertaining to the reception)  My FMIL graciously offered to host the reception at her house next May.  She and I are both huge planners and have already been working on gathering everything we need for the event.  I sent out our save the dates a couple weeks ago.  I am also making our wedding invitations (I'm a crafter) and designed and printed the main information sheet weeks ago, so that I could focus on some of the more complicated details of the invites.  Last week, my FMIL had a huge confrontation with me about the tension that has been building, accused me of ridiculous things, including "making it clear that she is not family" to me.  In the midst of the argument, she said that she does not want to have to "jump through hoops" for the reception, so she no longer wants to host it.  Thinking perhaps she didn't want the stress of it (which is fine) I had my fiance (who is not at odds with her at all) inquire about still being able to use the property.  She wants out of it completely.  

I am flipping out at this point because all of our wedding budget has been allocated other places and we have already booked our DJ and such using her property as the location.  Now, we are looking at finding a new venue, finding a caterer, rentals (if the venue doesn't provide), decorations, etc. AND finding a way to pay for all of it.  Not to mention I have 100 wedding invitations already printed with her address on it and have already sent out Save the Dates with the location on them.

On the whole, I would not say she is an unreasonably woman, but I think she is being completely unreasonable about the reception, especially when it had nothing to do with our disagreements.  In my opinion, she is being vindictive since I won't give her what she wants with her grandson.  I have done nothing to make her feel like she would have to "jump through hoops" with the reception and allowing us to use the land would not require any effort from her at all, so I truly believe this is her acting out about not getting her way.

Phew! Now, after that sort of non-specific rant....I am looking for advice.  Should I: 1) give things time, try to make amends, and see if she resumes her offer to host or 2) go ahead and make new plans (assuming I can find funds for it) and redo all of the work I have already done to change the location (and possibly date)?  There is also the possibility that we won't have a reception if we can't come up with the funds for it.

Re: FMIL crisis

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015

While giving her time to chill out and retract so you don't have to look for a new venue, etc., is an option, if you do, she might do the same thing again and try to use your son as a weapon against you.  I realize it's a huge pain to have to start over and come up with a new venue and the funds for it, but that's what I would do.  If you have to scale back, then as long as invitations haven't gone out, then I'd do that.

• edited October 2015
    My fiance and I have been together for 5 years.  We found out we were pregnant after only a few months together, so our families joined long before our wedding.  Over the past 5 years things have been pretty good between his family and me, especially considering our differences.  I made some internal sacrifices and compromises on little things so that I wasn't stepping on toes and to show respect for his family.  As our son has gotten older, I have felt more pressure from his parents, specifically his mother, in regards to our son.  She practically helped raise her first grandchild because her mother had her when when was like 18.  In my opinion, she has gotten a little too used to the control and flexibility that she has had when it came to vacations and the like.  

More recently I have started voicing my disagreements with things and speaking up when I was not okay with something.  Instead of being understanding and respectful (like I thought she would given her past), my FMIL became defensive and continued to push to do things I already said I was not okay with in regards to our son.  

(We are doing a getaway wedding, so the rest of this is pertaining to the reception)  My FMIL graciously offered to host the reception at her house next May.  She and I are both huge planners and have already been working on gathering everything we need for the event.  I sent out our save the dates a couple weeks ago.  I am also making our wedding invitations (I'm a crafter) and designed and printed the main information sheet weeks ago, so that I could focus on some of the more complicated details of the invites.  Last week, my FMIL had a huge confrontation with me about the tension that has been building, accused me of ridiculous things, including "making it clear that she is not family" to me.  In the midst of the argument, she said that she does not want to have to "jump through hoops" for the reception, so she no longer wants to host it.  Thinking perhaps she didn't want the stress of it (which is fine) I had my fiance (who is not at odds with her at all) inquire about still being able to use the property.  She wants out of it completely.  

I am flipping out at this point because all of our wedding budget has been allocated other places and we have already booked our DJ and such using her property as the location.  Now, we are looking at finding a new venue, finding a caterer, rentals (if the venue doesn't provide), decorations, etc. AND finding a way to pay for all of it.  Not to mention I have 100 wedding invitations already printed with her address on it and have already sent out Save the Dates with the location on them.

On the whole, I would not say she is an unreasonably woman, but I think she is being completely unreasonable about the reception, especially when it had nothing to do with our disagreements.  In my opinion, she is being vindictive since I won't give her what she wants with her grandson.  I have done nothing to make her feel like she would have to "jump through hoops" with the reception and allowing us to use the land would not require any effort from her at all, so I truly believe this is her acting out about not getting her way.

Phew! Now, after that sort of non-specific rant....I am looking for advice.  Should I: 1) give things time, try to make amends, and see if she resumes her offer to host or 2) go ahead and make new plans (assuming I can find funds for it) and redo all of the work I have already done to change the location (and possibly date)?  There is also the possibility that we won't have a reception if we can't come up with the funds for it.
    What is a getaway wedding? A destination wedding?
  • The actual invitations have not gone out yet, but they are all printed.  Would it be entirely tacky if I just printed little cards with the new address to adhere over the address already printed?  Or should I order more paper and make entirely new invitations?
  • What is a getaway wedding? A destination wedding?
    In essence yes, but we are not going to typical "destination wedding" locations.  We rented 2 houses up in Michigan and are doing an outdoor winter wedding ceremony with just immediate family and the wedding party.  We will be staying in the house for a week to celebrate our honeymoon.  The ceremony is in March and the reception is planned for May.  The reception will be opened up to everyone.
  • edited October 2015
    What is a getaway wedding? A destination wedding?
    In essence yes, but we are not going to typical "destination wedding" locations.  We rented 2 houses up in Michigan and are doing an outdoor winter wedding ceremony with just immediate family and the wedding party.  We will be staying in the house for a week to celebrate our honeymoon.  The ceremony is in March and the reception is planned for May.  The reception will be opened up to everyone.
    First, to the bolded - please don't. That sounds completely miserable for your guests.

Secondly, you are hosting these people after the ceremony, having a reception there right?
  • We have planned accordingly for the weather. Guests have been encouraged to dress warmly and we will be providing blankets.  The wedding party attire is winter appropriate (matching coats, boots, etc.).

The ceremony will be done within 30 minutes, so it's not like they will have to stand out in the cold for a long time.  We are doing a hot chocolate bar immediately following the ceremony.
  • I don't know if we will or won't need blankets.  It entirely depends on the weather, but I would like to be prepared for anything.  If it is entirely too cold we have the ability to move it indoors.  I'm really not sure why you're bringing this up since it has nothing to do with the issue at hand.
  • 1) Check out your local KC/Lion's/Elk's/Community Centers...  Usually rental is more reasonable than the fancier halls, but depending on the size of your group, you could even check out some hotels.  Sometimes all-inclusive packages can save you money, it's all in the options you choose.  You don't need a fancy dinner! 

2) If you need to switch to a Cake & Punch reception because that is what you can now afford, that's o.k., just don't schedule it over a meal time.

3) Your vendors will understand a venue change, stuff like that happens, keep the lines of communication open.  Venue changes as long as you're in the area are NBD.

4) If you need blankets, hats, mittens, and winter coats - it's too dang cold to have an outdoor reception.  Speaking as a Minnesotan - unless you're having it on the lake in front of your ice house then promptly moving inside...  Just no... 

5) Ye who pays gets a say.  IMO, you've got drama you need to work out and distancing until you find out what the situation is, is probably your safest bet.  Obviously what you posted left a lot out in the specifics of the drama - but you know what's going on, work it out with your FI, and come to a reasonable long-term solution because she's forever the Grandmother.  As for the invitations, either get paper and redo them or purchase labels that are the right size and put that over the top of the previous location. 

6) You don't have to spend a lot to have a nice reception how you want it.  Reducing your guest list is the fastest way to cut costs!

• This is simple. Cancel the entire "reception" (it's not a reception at all) and only have the MI wedding. Bam. done. 

And regardless of how you encourage people to dress, I think it's tacky as shit to have an outdoor ceremony in the winter in Michigan. Why? For pretty pictures?
    You're right it's not a "reception" in the traditional sense, however it is a time for our families to come together and celebrate our wedding.  Call it what you want.  Second,  we approached our family and wedding party about our idea for the Michigan wedding before planning it because we did not want to put anyone out.  Everyone was supportive of the idea.  The brief ceremony is taking place right outside of the houses and everyone will go back inside immediately following the ceremony.  The ceremony is not the point of this post and as such is not a part of the discussion that follows.  I am looking for advise on the reception.  I appreciate your advise to just cancel the entire reception.
  • edited October 2015
    This is simple. Cancel the entire "reception" (it's not a reception at all) and only have the MI wedding. Bam. done. 

And regardless of how you encourage people to dress, I think it's tacky as shit to have an outdoor ceremony in the winter in Michigan. Why? For pretty pictures?
    You're right it's not a "reception" in the traditional sense, however it is a time for our families to come together and celebrate our wedding.  Call it what you want.  Second,  we approached our family and wedding party about our idea for the Michigan wedding before planning it because we did not want to put anyone out.  Everyone was supportive of the idea.  The brief ceremony is taking place right outside of the houses and everyone will go back inside immediately following the ceremony.  The ceremony is not the point of this post and as such is not a part of the discussion that follows.  I am looking for advise on the reception.  I appreciate your advise to just cancel the entire reception.
    You still haven't answered my question about hosting people after your ceremony. This is your reception, which is a thank you for attending your cold wedding. Also, everyone invited to your "at home reception" should be invited to your ceremony.
  • I respectfully disagree that everyone invited to the reception should also be invited to the ceremony.  This is not the case when people elope or do traditional destination weddings.  I understand what proper, traditional wedding etiquette is.  However, we are not having a traditional wedding, so some things will need to be tweaked to fit our circumstances.  

I did answer your question about a reception: we are having a hot chocolate bar immediately following the ceremony where guests can enjoy the create-your-own hot chocolate bar and snacks while mingling and enjoying time with the newly weds.  Many of the traditional wedding reception festivities will not take place at this time.  We have planned our "receptions" accordingly.

Yet again, I reiterate that the wedding ceremony has nothing to do with the purpose of this post and I do not feel the need to further justify to you that our wedding ceremony has been planned (with all parties involved) to fit our vision of our wedding.
  • But why are you asking them to celebrate something they weren't invited to? It is technically okay to have a party to celebrate (as long as there's no ceremony, wedding dress, first dance, any actual wedding stuff) but I don't like them. I think they scream "look at meeee!" and look gift grabby. Regardless, it doesn't make sense to me to stress yourself out and have the financial burden of this party when it isn't even your wedding. Save your money and your stress and move on with your married life.
    We are treating the "reception" as if it were taking place immediate following the ceremony.  I will still be in my wedding gown and all the traditional reception festivities will take place.  Our guests are not obligated to bring any gifts (we are actually having a Bridal Shower pre-wedding ceremony), but proper etiquette says that you don't include on invitations not to bring gifts.

I was encouraged to post on this site to get advise on my current situation from people that would understand what I was going through.  Instead I am getting criticized for our wedding preferences that have nothing to do with the problem at hand!  I can't believe how judgmental some people are being.  I welcome and true advice related to the initial problem that I posted.  Anyone that has comments related to our choice for a wedding ceremony can respectfully refrain from adding further comment and I will ignore anyone that cannot be respectful to that extent.
  • edited October 2015
    I respectfully disagree that everyone invited to the reception should also be invited to the ceremony.  This is not the case when people elope or do traditional destination weddings.  I understand what proper, traditional wedding etiquette is.  However, we are not having a traditional wedding, so some things will need to be tweaked to fit our circumstances.  

I did answer your question about a reception: we are having a hot chocolate bar immediately following the ceremony where guests can enjoy the create-your-own hot chocolate bar and snacks while mingling and enjoying time with the newly weds.  Many of the traditional wedding reception festivities will not take place at this time.  We have planned our "receptions" accordingly.

Yet again, I reiterate that the wedding ceremony has nothing to do with the purpose of this post and I do not feel the need to further justify to you that our wedding ceremony has been planned (with all parties involved) to fit our vision of our wedding.
    When people elope, they are the only ones there, thus do not need a reception. When they have a destination wedding, they still need a reception, since they invited people to the wedding ceremony.

What time is your wedding? If it is in the middle of the afternoon, your reception plan is fine, but if it is around a meal time, you need to provide a meal.
  • JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    This is simple. Cancel the entire "reception" (it's not a reception at all) and only have the MI wedding. Bam. done. 

PPs already have it covered in how you're being rude to your guests, and what you should do (cancel the second party, just have your wedding & reception in MI, and make sure it's done in a way that everyone's kept warm and safe the entire time).

However, I need to point out how rude it is to us to try to dictate where the discussion will go. If you don't want to disclose things online, that's fine, but please don't try to tell strangers on the internet that they're not allowed to question things you leave vague, and not allowed to comment on the things you do disclose. Not only is it rude, but it's unrealistic and will only end in disappointment.
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    But why are you asking them to celebrate something they weren't invited to? It is technically okay to have a party to celebrate (as long as there's no ceremony, wedding dress, first dance, any actual wedding stuff) but I don't like them. I think they scream "look at meeee!" and look gift grabby. Regardless, it doesn't make sense to me to stress yourself out and have the financial burden of this party when it isn't even your wedding. Save your money and your stress and move on with your married life.
    We are treating the "reception" as if it were taking place immediate following the ceremony.  I will still be in my wedding gown and all the traditional reception festivities will take place.  Our guests are not obligated to bring any gifts (we are actually having a Bridal Shower pre-wedding ceremony), but proper etiquette says that you don't include on invitations not to bring gifts.

I was encouraged to post on this site to get advise on my current situation from people that would understand what I was going through.  Instead I am getting criticized for our wedding preferences that have nothing to do with the problem at hand!  I can't believe how judgmental some people are being.  I welcome and true advice related to the initial problem that I posted.  Anyone that has comments related to our choice for a wedding ceremony can respectfully refrain from adding further comment and I will ignore anyone that cannot be respectful to that extent.

You know, quite often people come on here and tell of the wedding plans of someone they know - someone who is doing things in a manner very offensive to their guests.  We always tell them to send their friend here.

The idea that you would ask people to travel to your wedding and then serve them hot chocolate and snacks as the reception is ludicrous.  These people are spending time and money to be with you.  Host them properly.

The only people to be invited to any prewedding events (showers, bach parties, whatever) must must must be invited to your wedding - the one where you become a married couple.  There is only one of those.

It is simple:

If you invite people to your wedding you must host them properly for the time of day.  When they are travelling you need to offer more than a hot chocolate bar and some snacks.

Any guests invited to prewedding parties MUST be invited to the wedding - not the party you have in a few weeks/months.

If you have a celebration later on it isn't a wedding redo and it isn't a reception.  it is a party - and that is fine.

Can you please explain what you mean by a bridal shower pre-ceremony?  Are you saying this is being done immediately prior to your ceremony with only your guests who are invited to the wedding?

• edited October 2015
    kmmssg said:
    Can you please explain what you mean by a bridal shower pre-ceremony?  Are you saying this is being done immediately prior to your ceremony with only your guests who are invited to the wedding?

No, by pre-ceremony I mean the bridal shower will happen some time before the ceremony.  We haven't set that date yet.  But again, this is not relevant to my initial question.

I completely read that the majority opinion here is that it is not PROPER to host a RECEPTION on a day other than the ceremony day.  Thank you.  I am completely familiar with proper wedding etiquette.  Since "words have meaning" let's not call it a reception...it's a celebration of our marriage with our extended family and friends.  Yup, I understand that this is not necessary, but since we are having our wedding at an inopportune time and in an inopportune location we wanted to offer an alternative for guests that did not want to brave the weather...hence our "celebration".  

Now back to my question:  should I give things time and try to work things out with my FMIL and try to continue with things as planned or should I go ahead and make new arrangements for our celebration?
  • I would make new arrangements for the party and not count on your FMIL to host.

Also, there is nothing wrong with having a party post wedding!! My FI and I are doing that back in our home towns after our wedding. But there is no DJ, I won't be wearing my wedding dress, etc. Will there be food and fun? Absolutely!! But it's just more of a backyard BBQ, where my family and friends that won't be traveling for our wedding can meet my new H, and vise versa. What's wrong with planning something like this? I think that takes off a lot of stress if you aren't planning a second "reception".

• Pupatella said:
    I would make new arrangements for the party and not count on your FMIL to host.

Also, there is nothing wrong with having a party post wedding!! My FI and I are doing that back in our home towns after our wedding. But there is no DJ, I won't be wearing my wedding dress, etc. Will there be food and fun? Absolutely!! But it's just more of a backyard BBQ, where my family and friends that won't be traveling for our wedding can meet my new H, and vise versa. What's wrong with planning something like this? I think that takes off a lot of stress if you aren't planning a second "reception".
    That's basically what our celebration was meant to be.  Regardless of what takes place at this event I still need to find a new venue and the DJ is already paid for, so we will have music.  I do agree that as far as the decorations and things go, it is probably better to tone things down and maybe consider a different time for the event so we don't have to try to provide a full meal anymore.  Something more informal will be easier to accommodate in our budget.  Thanks for sharing!
  • lembasloverlembaslover member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited October 2015

I know this isn't the advice you were looking for but I just want to point out that people who love you will tell you what you want to hear and not what they really think. Trust me I've been on both ends of that stick. They love you and will obviously do whatever you want because they want to make you happy but I'm sure there will be grumbling though it may never reach your ear.

On what you actually asked. Honestly since these people aren't going to be at your actual wedding I'd just cancel it. If you want your families to get together have a big BBQ during the summer or something. Since you sent STDs just let people know that the event is canceled. 

If you really want to still have it I think you have 2 options:
    1. See if you can move it to like a public park (pavilion rentals aren't too bad) or cheaper hall, I believe PPs mentioned like an Elks lodge or community center. Have it at a non-meal time and just do cake and punch maybe some light apps. 
    2.Postpone a bit, since it's not your actual wedding just a celebration of marriage you could give yourself a few more months to save.

And if you are keeping the party personally I'd skip the wedding activities. I'm guessing you will have danced with your fiance between getting married and your party so it's not really a first dance and it just seems silly to me. The only 2 things I think are ok to keep are cake (cake is always a good thing) and your dress. Honestly the dress can probably be side-eyed also but in my opinion if you pay so much for a dress you only get to wear once and you find a reason to wear it again it's not that bad. 

I'm sorry your FMIL is putting you through this but at least you are sticking to your guns in how you raise your child. A party shouldn't compromise that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you really want to still have it I think you have 2 options:
    1. See if you can move it to like a public park (pavilion rentals aren't too bad) or cheaper hall, I believe PPs mentioned like an Elks lodge or community center. Have it at a non-meal time and just do cake and punch maybe some light apps. 
    2.Postpone a bit, since it's not your actual wedding just a celebration of marriage you could give yourself a few more months to save.

I'm sorry your FMIL is putting you through this but at least you are sticking to your guns in how you raise your child. A party shouldn't compromise that.
    Since we have not extended our invitation to other friends and family for the ceremony, we definitely still want to invite people to get together to celebrate at a later date.  I am going to look into local sites that should be available and less expensive prices and offering lighter refreshment options.  Thank you for your suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards