Chit Chat
Options

Who or what are you side-eyeing?

Re: Who or what are you side-eyeing?

• Options
    Side-eyeing people who try to sell used candles. 

Sorry not sorry, but I think that's gross. 
    Who does this?? 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Who does this?? 
    I saw someone on Craigslist who is selling wedding decor and includes used floating candles in their ad.
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Who does this?? 
    I saw someone on Craigslist who is selling wedding decor and includes used floating candles in their ad.
    That's some cheap shit right there.  I also find people selling their dresses that they haven't cleaned yet gross.  I don't want to buy something that you sweat in for 8 hours.
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Who does this?? 
    Exactly. It's mostly people trying to sell their wedding stuff. Yuck.

banana468 said:

Who does this?? 
    That's some cheap shit right there.  I also find people selling their dresses that they haven't cleaned yet gross.  I don't want to buy something that you sweat in for 8 hours.
    And not to be too gross, but in some cases, sweat might be the least of one's concerns. 
  • Options
    I'm siding people bringing their children to a sprinkle without asking the hostess (me). I'm giving a baby sprinkle for a friend. Two people (whom I don't know) told the mom to be that they are bringing their kids. They didn't even call me to see if that was ok! Grrrrr.
  • Options
    lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    banana468 said:

Who does this?? 

SITB
    I advise people to check out their local facebook bride groups but I feel really bad when people upcharge like crazy: ikea lanterns are $8... so i sold 25 of them for 100 (pic attached lol) but I've seen people sell the same ones for $10 each; people sell cheap things from Michaels for twice as much as they paid... I love when I can post a link to original items.

• Options
    I'm siding people bringing their children to a sprinkle without asking the hostess (me). I'm giving a baby sprinkle for a friend. Two people (whom I don't know) told the mom to be that they are bringing their kids. They didn't even call me to see if that was ok! Grrrrr.
    What is a sprinkle? (I feel like I should know this...trying to avoid future embarrassment...)

• Options
    Side-eyeing this, just posted by an acquaintance on Facebook who is due with her second child soon: 

--

• Options
    What is a sprinkle? (I feel like I should know this...trying to avoid future embarrassment...)
    A smaller shower ("sprinkle") for a second baby.
  • Options
    Side-eyeing this, just posted by an acquaintance on Facebook who is due with her second child soon: 

Whoring out your new baby!  For chores and food.  What an awesome idea (snark).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lnixon8 said:
    banana468 said:

Who does this?? 

SITB
    I advise people to check out their local facebook bride groups but I feel really bad when people upcharge like crazy: ikea lanterns are $8... so i sold 25 of them for 100 (pic attached lol) but I've seen people sell the same ones for $10 each; people sell cheap things from Michaels for twice as much as they paid... I love when I can post a link to original items.

I side eye when people sell for full price. Some people disregard or justify cost because "they"ll make their money back" when they sell it later. No, if I wanted to pay full price I wouldn't be in this FB buy/sell/trade group
  • Options

I fucking hate these kinds of people, not just side-eye them. Luckily my friends are rational human beings. I'm also a decent human who has offered to do things for my friends with new kids anyway, but by and large they seem more than happy to hand off their kid without any exchange of "service."

ETA: You know what else pisses me off about this sancti-mommy bullshit? The majority of the time, these people chose to have the baby. They chose to welcome a newborn into the world with all the crazy that goes along with it. But heaven forbid their friends even breathe a word of congrats in their direction without offering to wash the dishes. 
    FWIW, I think a lot of this stems from people (ahem - Mothers in law) who show up to be in the house for hours to love the baby but actually leave the home in a state that's worse than it was before they showed up.   My own MIL did it to me once when DD was first born.   I was one week postpartum, could hardly stand, was exhausted and having her eat my food and chocolate covered strawberries while holding my DD so I could clean up her fucking dishes was NOT HELPING.    When my girlfriends have had newborns and I've met them, I don't leave without doing something like a load of laundry or at least cleaning up the dishes. 

That said, this board swings the pendulum too far in the other direction.    

I did have a sprinkle for my son.   It was small, I had no registry and it was a nice get together of ladies in the family.   It's also what we do in our family.   We didn't extend it to others.
  • Options

I side-eye "sprinkles" or any type of gift-giving event for a second kid.

I do too in most cases. This is an exception in my book hence me offering to host it. I don't want to go into details about the exception in case someone might recognized the mom to be.

• Options
    banana468 said:

I fucking hate these kinds of people, not just side-eye them. Luckily my friends are rational human beings. I'm also a decent human who has offered to do things for my friends with new kids anyway, but by and large they seem more than happy to hand off their kid without any exchange of "service."

ETA: You know what else pisses me off about this sancti-mommy bullshit? The majority of the time, these people chose to have the baby. They chose to welcome a newborn into the world with all the crazy that goes along with it. But heaven forbid their friends even breathe a word of congrats in their direction without offering to wash the dishes. 
    FWIW, I think a lot of this stems from people (ahem - Mothers in law) who show up to be in the house for hours to love the baby but actually leave the home in a state that's worse than it was before they showed up.   My own MIL did it to me once when DD was first born.   I was one week postpartum, could hardly stand, was exhausted and having her eat my food and chocolate covered strawberries while holding my DD so I could clean up her fucking dishes was NOT HELPING.    When my girlfriends have had newborns and I've met them, I don't leave without doing something like a load of laundry or at least cleaning up the dishes. 

I did have a sprinkle for my son.   It was small, I had no registry and it was a nice get together of ladies in the family.   It's also what we do in our family.   We didn't extend it to others.
    I don't side-eye a sprinkle, especially not for a child of another gender. Just because someone's had a kid before doesn't mean they have everything they need. If someone doesn't want to give another gift they can decline the invitation - as it's said here on TK all the time, an invitation is not a summons! 
    --

• Options
    I don't side-eye a sprinkle, especially not for a child of another gender. Just because someone's had a kid before doesn't mean they have everything they need. If someone doesn't want to give another gift they can decline the invitation - as it's said here on TK all the time, an invitation is not a summons! 

I hate this argument. But why don't/can't/shouldn't the parents buy their own stuff?

I bought a house. I don't have everything I need for the house. Should someone throw me a shower? If I were going to Alaska on vacation and didn't have snow boots, should someone throw me a shower? I have football season tickets but need a new jersey. Should I register for that?

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Or if there is a gap in ages. I'm seven years apart from my brother, so most of the baby stuff was long gone and my parents weren't sure if kids were even possible at that point.
  • Options

I hate this argument. But why don't/can't/shouldn't the parents buy their own stuff?

I bought a house. I don't have everything I need for the house. Should someone throw me a shower? If I were going to Alaska on vacation and didn't have snow boots, should someone throw me a shower? I have football season tickets but need a new jersey. Should I register for that?

Wouldn't that same argument go for wedding showers, then?  Why don't/can't/shouldn't brides buy their own stuff?
    --

• Options

Wouldn't that same argument go for wedding showers, then?  Why don't/can't/shouldn't brides buy their own stuff?

If it's a repeat shower because the bride didn't receive everything she needs at the first one, then I agree.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

What the actual fuck is this?
    I have no words, this is just gross.  "First to serve"? Who speaks to their friends and family this way?
  • Options
    banana468 said:

If it's a repeat shower because the bride didn't receive everything she needs at the first one, then I agree.
    Then are you against multiple showers for a first time bride?

What if it's a second marriage for one and not the other?  

What does a bride need?   She and her FI should be grown ups and capable of living on their own.   The only thing they NEED is a marriage license. 

At least in my experience, a sprinkle is lower key and generally only involves small scale items.   I received things like high chairs, car seats, baby baths, and exersaucers at my baby shower.   At the sprinkle for DS I received boy outfits and a few books that had trucks.   

multiple showers - depends on the circumstances. Second marriage - same - depends.

I was using PP's words regarding "everything they need". I think "not having everything they need" is a tacky reason to throw a gift-giving party, regardless of what you (general you) call it. Celebrating a bride or first time parent is fine.

Shrug. JMHO.

• Options

Happy events prompt people to give gifts out of the goodness of their hearts. I don't side-eye sprinkles if well-meaning people want to celebrate a second child and help the parents get new necessities. But yes, people who chose to be parents should be able to afford their own stuff. People who chose to get a mortgage should be able to afford the furniture to at least ensure one isn't sitting/sleeping on the floor. People who chose to get married should be able to also afford the necessities of living in the same household. No one is entitled to new stuff because of a life milestone they chose to participate in. But if people choose to give them stuff, then that's very nice. If the giving involves socialization and cake, that's nice too.  
    Exactly this! Those of us hosting/attending are just super excited about the upcoming arrival; however, I still side eye the people bringing their kids without consulting me (the hostess). Thank goodness the mom to be gave me the heads up (asking if it is ok) after the women told her they were bringing their kids.
  • Options

How is a candle that has burned down a bit "gross"?  Not worth nearly as much as a fresh one--sure.  But gross?  Does the same apply to giant jar candles and massive pillars?  Burn them once and throw them away? 
  • Options

How is a candle that has burned down a bit "gross"?  Not worth nearly as much as a fresh one--sure.  But gross?  Does the same apply to giant jar candles and massive pillars?  Burn them once and throw them away? 
    It's gross because someone else burned it, and then it sat in their house for a while collecting dust, and now they want to sell it.

I don't think they should be burned once and then thrown away, but I also don't think they should be put up for sale. 

Maybe my opinion is an unpopular one, and I am okay with that, but I think it's gross to think that someone would want to buy a used, droopy wax, smoke-stained, dust-covered candle. 

That's what I am side-eyeing today. 
  • Options
    I am side-eyeing myself for simultaneously being upset with my friends for not putting in more of an effort to come to our wedding and hoping for a 50% decline rate. (We didn't over invite and are prepared to properly host 100% but I always wanted a more intimate event.)
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    lnixon8 said:

SITB

Stuck:
    I hate the bolded, or when people post stuff with tags on from a store like Kohl's that doesn't have a time frame on returns. Or JoAnn/Michaels where you know they probably used a coupon for it and yet think they can sell for more than they paid and people will buy it. I never comment but I always want to!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards