Snarky Brides
Options

Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting

There hasn't been much else going on so here...

" A teen has been found guilty of vehicular homicide in a 2011 fatal car crash linked to texting. The 18-year-old was sentenced to two and a half years on the homicide charge and two years on a texting charge. He will serve only one year for both charges with the balance of the sentence to be suspended for five years with three years probation. He has also lost his drivers license for 15 years"

I'm not exactly sure what to think of it. Yes, he killed a person and should pay for that, but to me texting is just a distraction by choice. Would you get punished like this if you were messing with your baby in the backseat? Fighting with your SO? Turning the radio? I get that texting can be easily proven through the carrier and these things aren't, but should they hold a less punishment? 

Someone in the comments said that it was a choice to text and he should pay for it and another person came back that if you have the flu, you choose to go out and expose others to the virus. The flu kills many people a year. Should that person be held accountable for choosing to leave their home and someone else dying? 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting

• Options
    can you link to the story?

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    The local news station didn't have a link, but I'll try to go find one. 
  • Options

Is that here in LR? 

imageVacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:348b069e-27d2-4625-8952-e728ca17ad33">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]can you link to the story?
    Posted by Starmusica[/QUOTE]

Star it happened here.  Its been on the news. 
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    lollllll of course I missed it. I've been avoiding the news lately- I know shocking. it feels weird and yet refreshing.

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    Oh, I read this earlier. I get why they are doing it, but I think maybe they could have gone with a lesser sentence? I don't know. Every year before prom we have Jacy Good come and talk to the Senior class about the dangers of texting and driving. She lost her whole family in a texting and driving accident on the way home from her college graduation. She was the sole survivor. They were hit by a tractor trailer that swerved to miss a boy who was texting and not paying attention to the road.

Texting and driving is illegal here. Maybe they are sending a message with this case that there are more severe consequences than a fine if you cause an accident while texting?
  • Options
    The reason he got sentanced was because texting while driving became illegal here recently and he was the first case.  Also, if you only have your license for a certain amount of time here, you are on restrictions (5 years i think) and 1 of them is no cell phone at all, nevermind texting.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think if a choice you make while driving kills another person, you should be punished for it.  If something is THAT big of an emergency to be distracting (crying baby included), you can pull over.  There are VERY few roads out there that are literally impossible to pull over on.
  • Options
    Wow that's interesting, Blue.
  • Options
    Is texting while driving against the law there?  Because if so, then yes this person made a choice, but he made a choice that broke the law and he got caught doing it.  Whether or not texting while driving should be illegal is another debate - but if it is against the law, then yes,  he should be punished for breaking the law.
    panther
  • Options
    ok.. well then. OP- you have a point about other distractions. Had it been something else he MAY not have faced these charges. However, in MA- like it or not- texting and driving has been criminalized. So yea, under that framework his sentence makes TOTAL sense. If he was texting, he knew he was breaking the law. So he acted with a disregard to that law. Sorry- these are the consequences.

(I will admit things are not that black and white. Personally, I don't know how I feel about the texting law but as long as it's in place I understand cases like this).

my book shelf:
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:e649fbac-3c01-4258-bc99-e4fe3466c296">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong><u>Is texting while driving against the law there</u></strong>?  Because if so, then yes this person made a choice, but he made a choice that broke the law and he got caught doing it.  Whether or not texting while driving should be illegal is another debate - but if it is against the law, then yes,  he should be punished for breaking the law.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Yes.  This was the first case since it became a law.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    A few years back a truck driver spilled his hot coffee onto his lap, sending huge pipes across the median which struck and killed a woman on her way to work. He wasn't held responsible to my knowledge and I always questioned that decision. 
  • Options
    You are a Junior Operator until you have had your license for 5 years.  There are lots of restrictions, like no underage passengers, no driving between certain hours, heavy fines and penalties for speeding etc.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/jol/jol_penalties_chart.htm
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:4c6fdb36-69c5-40dd-a07d-bdb5f9d854ab">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]A few years back a truck driver spilled his hot coffee onto his lap, sending huge pipes across the median which struck and killed a woman on her way to work. He wasn't held responsible to my knowledge and I always questioned that decision. 
    Posted by VeggieLove1022[/QUOTE]

Yeah there's a super fine line between what someone should be responsible for while driving.  This one is hard to determine.
    Now truck drivers, I might be wrong, but isn't it illegal for them to be eating/drinking while driving?  I'm not sure.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:4c6fdb36-69c5-40dd-a07d-bdb5f9d854ab">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]A few years back a truck driver spilled his hot coffee onto his lap, sending huge pipes across the median which struck and killed a woman on her way to work. He wasn't held responsible to my knowledge and I always questioned that decision. 

I'm not surprised honestly and I don't think he should have been charged. Coffee isn't against the law and plus- spilling is an accident. I doubt this man wanted to burn himself. Accidents happen. Texting is illegal in Ma and this kid made a conscious choice to break it. Totally different.

my book shelf:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Texting while driving is illegal here too. I definitely think he should be held responsible since it's against the law, and I would argue even stuff that isnt against the law (I have seen people applying make-up, putting clothes on, etc. while driving) should be punishable to some extent. Those are just activities no one needs to do while driving. It should be common sense.

Have we all done things that were distracting while driving? I'm sure. But if I hit and killed somebody because I was too busy fiddling with my iPod while driving, I think I should be held accountable for it. There are things out of our control (like driving the speed limit and having someone dart out in front of your car) and things that are completely within our control (choosing to not answer a text while driving). If it's in our control, I think we're responsible for it.

Vacation
  • Options
    I think this is more like negligence (which would come into play in a civil suit) than a criminal act.  I don't know for sure.

"Smash's balls are the biggest balls of them all." -AATB

• Options
    The interesting thing about this case is that they wanted to charge the girl who sent him the texts with the crime as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:6c03591e-040c-438f-899c-ba37b1d053f8">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : I'm not surprised honestly and I don't think he should have been charged. Coffee isn't against the law and plus- spilling is an accident. I doubt this man wanted to burn himself. Accidents happen. Texting is illegal in Ma and this kid made a conscious choice to break it. Totally different.
    Posted by Starmusica[/QUOTE]
    Yeah this. If it isn't a crime, then it isn't a crime. Plus, then you'd open every accident (driving or not) up to being punishable. Accidents happen.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:3a6a8e32-c29f-4bf5-bbb8-21d044c6258a">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]The interesting thing about this case is that they wanted to charge the girl who sent him the texts with the crime as well.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

I think that's stupid. So now we can't ever text anybody unless we know for sure they're not behind the wheel? That's silly.

Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:fc71fec0-082f-45fe-b705-7f4b9d236409">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : I think that's stupid. So now we can't ever text anybody unless we know for sure they're not behind the wheel? That's silly.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

It didnt end up happening, but they tried to get her.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:d646d42d-d73f-4355-a555-610677b4d487">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]Texting while driving is illegal here too. I definitely think he should be held responsible since it's against the law, and I would argue even stuff that isnt against the law (I have seen people applying make-up, putting clothes on, etc. while driving) should be punishable to some extent. Those are just activities no one needs to do while driving. It should be common sense. Have we all done things that were distracting while driving? I'm sure. But if I hit and killed somebody because I was too busy fiddling with my iPod while driving, I think I should be held accountable for it. There are things out of our control (like driving the speed limit and having someone dart out in front of your car) and things that are completely within our control (choosing to not answer a text while driving).<strong> If it's in our control, I think we're responsible for it.</strong>
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

I agree to an extent.  But what about the truck driver with the coffee for example?  He chose to drink coffee and that accident wouldn't have happened if he hadn't gotten the coffee.
    This is why I think there's a very fine line that divides when you're responsible and when you're not.  And idk that I even know where that line is.

I agree though, at the end of the day, if you did something against the law that caused an accident, you should DEFINITELY be held accountable.
  • Options
    I believe CA has very similar restrictions and laws, Blue.
    We are totally "hands free" here. No talking or texting, you have to use bluetooth.

I think 1 year is minor for killing 2 people.
    Put the damn phone down!!!!
    / end rant
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:3a6a8e32-c29f-4bf5-bbb8-21d044c6258a">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]The interesting thing about this case is that they wanted to charge the girl who sent him the texts with the crime as well.

this I do NOT agree with. They would have had a friggin HELL of a time making it stick too.

my book shelf:
  • Options
    Also- the kid never admitted it.  He kept saying he wasnt texting, but that he was distracted because of homework and other things.  I think he would have gotten a lesser sentence had he just admitted it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Huh.  I'd imagine they'd have to show that she knew he was driving, or something along those lines, otherwise she couldn't be held responsible.

"Smash's balls are the biggest balls of them all." -AATB

• Options
    I dont like that part. You shouldn't be charged because someone else couldn't wait until a redlight to answer your text. If I know someone is driving, I'm more likely to send a text that they can get to whenever instead of calling and distracting them. <div>
    </div><div>I almost feel like the justice system is using this kid to prove a point, like "No seriously, don't text and drive, we'll put your ass in jail"</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:584abe12-8d56-4657-81d7-3bf44296d7c0">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : I agree to an extent.  But what about the truck driver with the coffee for example?  He chose to drink coffee and that accident wouldn't have happened if he hadn't gotten the coffee. This is why I think there's a very fine line that divides when you're responsible and when you're not.  And idk that I even know where that line is. I agree though, at the end of the day, if you did something against the law that caused an accident, you should DEFINITELY be held accountable.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

No I see what you're saying and it's a VERY fine line. And I'm not even saying charge them with vehicular homicide, but I do think they should be held accountable to some extent. For instance, if I rear end somebody because they slam on their breaks, even if I was paying attention and just couldn't stop in time, I'm still held responsible as far as getting the ticket, paying for it, etc.

Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards