Snarky Brides
Options

Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday

Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday

• Options
    <3 Alli.

Steph, not only Christians, but Catholics. Beliefs such as those are one of the many reasons I am no longer Catholic. Or religious at all, really. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flame-some-shiiit-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a27968be-62b2-4ac3-914d-054ec8ef8b08Post:859342f1-3a28-4c72-a594-a2135e6565b9">Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]<3 Alli. Steph, not only Christians, but Catholics. Beliefs such as those are one of the many reasons I am no longer Catholic. Or religious at all, really. 
    Posted by KateJ10[/QUOTE]

Catholics are just weird about sex and babies.  You can't use contraceptives and you have to have the babies no matter what the cost.  And you can't know about sex unless you're married.

Obviously, this is kind of exaggerating.  But I mean... yeah.
    panther
  • Options
    Alli - YGPM

BTW - Not all of us Catholics are crazy.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I always considered myself religious, but its people like them, and people who use religion to oppose things like fertility treatments and stuff, that make me really sad for humanity.  And really sad for the religion that I am trying to hold dear to me.

As a Christian, and listen chels/monkey/brandi, I am Greek Orthodox so we are even stricter than Catholics when it comes to our religion, but we dont teach hate and judgement.  We teach acceptance and love and understanding, and forgiveness.  We are taught to live our own lives the best we can and that we are not here to judge each other.

It seems you have lost that aspect of your Christianity.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flame-some-shiiit-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a27968be-62b2-4ac3-914d-054ec8ef8b08Post:de4c54a0-a761-423e-890a-5184f59c7193">Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Alli - YGPM BTW - Not all of us Catholics are crazy.
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>:)</div><div>
    </div><div>Oh I know, I just can't stand by some of the church's belief's. I'm not calling people crazy for being catholic. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flame-some-shiiit-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a27968be-62b2-4ac3-914d-054ec8ef8b08Post:de4c54a0-a761-423e-890a-5184f59c7193">Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]BTW - Not all of us Catholics are crazy.

<div>I second that.  I'm a practicing Catholic, but I have some viewpoints that differ from the Catholic Church (ie my abortion post above).</div><div>
    </div><div>This is gonna be a P&R because I have to go to work.  </div>
    knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • Options
    I know, Wisc :) In fact most of the Catholics I know are raging whores on the pill.

lol... Also an exaggeration.

Seriously though - ND just had its primary and we had a measure on the ballot that was supposed to offer additional protection of religious liberties.  Since religious freedom is already guaranteed by the US constitution, it begs the question - why is this protection needed?  I asked our local archdiocese bishop about it since he was at the forefront of this measure.  In his answer he replied that "without this law a doctor cannot act within the realm of his own consciousness."  Basically so doctors can deny birth control to a patient and claim religious freedom.

WHY IS IT ALWAYS ALL ABOUT BIRTH CONTROL.  WHY.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flame-some-shiiit-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a27968be-62b2-4ac3-914d-054ec8ef8b08Post:60448746-8ee7-46ac-904a-9898f0abc7ab">Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always considered myself religious, but its people like them, and people who use religion to oppose things like fertility treatments and stuff, that make me really sad for humanity.  And really sad for the religion that I am trying to hold dear to me. As a Christian, and listen chels/monkey/<strong>brandi, I</strong>am Greek Orthodox so we are even stricter than Catholics when it comes to our religion, but we dont teach hate and judgement.  We teach acceptance and love and understanding, and forgiveness.  We are taught to live our own lives the best we can and that we are not here to judge each other. It seems you have lost that aspect of your Christianity.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

FTR, I am pro-choice.  I apologize if anyone has felt like  my lack opinions have come across as lumped with Monkey or Chels vocalization of opinions in this argument, but I couldn't disagree more with what they've said.
    imageVacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flame-some-shiiit-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a27968be-62b2-4ac3-914d-054ec8ef8b08Post:d7116566-90cc-48a9-853f-ee2982d0bcd5">Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]WHY IS IT ALWAYS ALL ABOUT BIRTH CONTROL.  WHY.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Because you are a slut
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flame-some-shiiit-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a27968be-62b2-4ac3-914d-054ec8ef8b08Post:5b432c99-8834-4404-81d6-311e0d329e51">Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday : Because you are a slut

Yer mom's a slut
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flame-some-shiiit-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a27968be-62b2-4ac3-914d-054ec8ef8b08Post:25592b8a-b89a-4fb8-901a-ccefe02d1fe1">Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday : Yer mom's a slut
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Why dont you get off my mom?  The whole town just got off yours.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flame-some-shiiit-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a27968be-62b2-4ac3-914d-054ec8ef8b08Post:23395147-f04f-4316-a9a6-456b57eb3388">Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday : Why dont you get off my mom?  The whole town just got off yours.

bazinga
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flame-some-shiiit-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a27968be-62b2-4ac3-914d-054ec8ef8b08Post:23395147-f04f-4316-a9a6-456b57eb3388">Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday : Why dont you get off my mom?  The whole town just got off yours.

HA!!  Oh my god I'm totally using that someday.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    I definitely think sometimes religions are scapegoated unfairly, when there are plenty of people who aren't self righteous and ignorant. I live in a very gray world, I don't see many things in black in white, I can almost always find some situation that is different from the "rule" whatever that may be. Btw DJ, I'm just seeing the ticker, congratulations. You must be so excited :)
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Alli - YGPM BTW - Not all of us Catholics are crazy.

Back at ya, sweetie.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I see a lot of things in black and white.

This isnt one of them.

Or rather it is.  Its pretty black and white to me that you need to keep your bible thumping a$$ out of my uterus.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flame-some-shiiit-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a27968be-62b2-4ac3-914d-054ec8ef8b08Post:30dee01f-65ab-4e70-b8df-d4f8556a899f">Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I see a lot of things in black and white. This isnt one of them. Or rather it is.  Its pretty black and white to me that you need to keep your bible thumping a$$ out of my uterus.

Hahah touché.
  • Options
    You girls and your mama jokes.  Like a truckermouthed version of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MXKiFrlok
  • Options
    Your momma jokes are always funny
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Haha I love that Girlie.
    panther
  • Options
    Ok so I'm really late catching up on all of this from the past two days, and I have no desire to get into the circular argument about abortion, but I wanted to toss out there my thoughts on what started all of this...suggesting divorce to a friend in an abusive relationship.

I would not ever suggest it. I would be willing to listen to what they had to say, happily weigh their options with them, do anything I could legally do to help them, but I wouldn't suggest that they get out of the relationship.

I was in an abusive relationship for quite awhile. The first couple of times that things got bad, I turned to my friends and some of my family for advice. Because they loved me, of course their advice was "get out, we'll help you in any way that we can." Abusive relationships don't always work that way. It's not as simple as just getting out. That left me with feeling like my friends and family were judging me, and hated the man that I loved. That resulted in me pretending like life was grand but really turning to some trusty old friends that never judged and couldn't talk back. A year and a half later, I finally sacked up and realized that I had to end the relationship, so I did. That left me 25 years old, alone, trying to comprehend the mindfuck that is an abusive relationship, a raging alcoholic and a drug addict. 

The fear of being judged for my addictions also kept me from sharing with my friends and family. I went through the agonizing process of getting clean all alone. It was horrible, and I will say that I don't know how 2175 days ago I found the strength to get my shiiit together, but I did. There are 8 people IRL that know about my struggle with addiction, and not one of them knew about it until I hit my 1 year clean and sober date. Pride makes people do crazy things.

So, while I know you think that you are only doing what's best for your friends/family, be careful of how they will perceive your advice. If they are going to stay in an abusive relationship, it's much better to know that they can count on you without judgement, than to have them cut you off so you have no idea how bad things can really get. Obviously this isn't the case for everyone, but just my take on it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_flame-some-shiiit-tuesday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a27968be-62b2-4ac3-914d-054ec8ef8b08Post:a461644a-e385-4dcd-a022-b9c4e26f996e">Re: Flame Some Shiiit Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well this may be flammable, but you sound like a shitty daughter. You are prolonging your mother's seemingly miserable existance for YOU, not her. You are selfish in the highest right. Disgusting.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

Late post, but this is pretty shitty, IMO.  I'll go back and check the post, but I think Monkey's post was about not agreeing to kill her own mother, which really doesn't make her either a shitty daughter OR a shitty person. 

It's one thing for an ill individual to attempt and succeed at suicide, but it's quite another to assist them, especially if in the case of Monkey, your beliefs tell you its a Moral sin and would condemn her mother to a life of eternal hell.  There's nothing disgusting about loving someone enough to suffer along side them to attempt to what you believe will save their soul.  Again, if that's not your belief system, that's fine.  But I find it crass and ignorant to call her selfish and disgusting, especially if you understand those motivations, regardless of her thoughts on abortion. 
  • Options
    Dmills and Alli-  You two are some strong azz biitches!  I'm awed by your strength.  And I'm glad you were both able to heal and end up in a better place in your lives. 
  • Options
    OH and Alli, hugs to you, and thank you for sharing that. I will be the first to admit that I've had some pretty judgy opinions about abortions, and have even posted some here. While I don't think my personal views will ever change, knowing your story (and the story Steph posted awhile ago about the woman who's unborn baby had complications where it's limbs were being amputated) has changed the way I feel about the legal stance of abortion. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I'm sorry you had to go through that Dmill. :( My point about giving advice about divorcing an abusive person was not to mean that you should force that onto someone. I guess I figured that rational people would support their friend/family no matter what but still give advice even if the person doesn't agree or follow it. In undergrad, I worked with battered women in shelters and it was not easy if their family or friends didn't give them any support in something that they were unsure about -- ie filing for divorce. You can still be supportive even if the person decides NOT to file either. But the giving of advice I don't think is unwarranted, and usually is needed. 
  • Options
    Dmill, thanks for weighing in on the advice issue.  It's not something I would have considered before.  Btw, I'm really happy you "sacked up". 
  • Options
    DMill, you are so incredibly brave and strong. It is hard to go through what you are going through with the love and support of family & friends, and I can't imagine going through it alone. I have posted before about my BF who is in an abusive relationship. Thank you for your post. It has taught me so much about what she must be going through, and what she needs from me. She is exactly like you - pretending on the outside that everything is fine, and i know it isn't. It is so hard to know what to do, because my gut instinct is to drag her away kicking and screaming, and i know I can't.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Musu, I'm all for people being able to discuss that as an option, it's just something I think people need to be really cautious with. There's a lot of shame that comes with staying in an abusive relationship, so feeling like people are judging you for that can have the opposite impact. 

Thanks, Girlie :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh i completely agree, Dmill. Never a topic to approach without a lot of understanding and caution. I've had friends who were terribly embarassed by how long they were staying in an abusive situation and my heart broke that they had to feel that way even though we (other friends/family) understood how difficult it is to remove oneself from that situation. 
  • Options
    Maybe it's my inherent idealism, but I just don't understand how Monkey and Chelsea are still holding the positions they are after the personal face that women like Alli and others have put on this issue. I honestly just don't get it. How can you hear about the hell that some women have been through and still deny them control over their own bodies? And Alli, I know you weren't posting for people to give you props, but I admire your strength in surviving and in sharing what happened to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards