Snarky Brides

come talk to me

Re: come talk to me

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:bb6b0b2c-af51-401d-bcb7-23e616c1d16d">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: come talk to me : Lol, im not running for fake zombies.  Ill be done after a 50 yard dash.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

I'd probably end up losing all my flags and becoming a zombie within the first ten minutes of it.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Blue, I don't know that all teachers would want to do that. My mom loves middle school and has no desire to teach elementary or high school. She would be miserable with those grades. She does have the option to request different grades each year but sometimes they force classes on the teachers, which frustrates them because that's not always their area of expertise.
  • Yeah I know. :-) Salary scale didn't even matter in my county. We were on a pay freeze for 3 years and they just implemented another one for 3 years. So whatever. I just wonder how education got to such shiit? How did class size get over 30 and how do kids get to middle school and not know how to read? It's a mess.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:6d36fb8c-eb4f-4d25-9c7c-d06a693cbf29">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Blue, I don't know that all teachers would want to do that. My mom loves middle school and has no desire to teach elementary or high school. She would be miserable with those grades. She does have the option to request different grades each year but sometimes they force classes on the teachers, which frustrates them because that's not always their area of expertise.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

But you said she was miserable after 10 years, so at least them having options might be helpful.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:98f3e90d-e4ad-4fe8-a155-dc1aa5828132">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah I know. :-) Salary scale didn't even matter in my county. We were on a pay freeze for 3 years and they just implemented another one for 3 years. So whatever. <strong><u>I just wonder how education got to such shiit?</u></strong> How did class size get over 30 and how do kids get to middle school and not know how to read? It's a mess.
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

Unions
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Im watching the new Fame movie and I hate that they ruined another classic.  Of course their "ballet" is terrible. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:d07fa60b-3510-4178-a51d-2c062dd086f7">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: come talk to me : Unions

How would you change the system? I keep thinking how I would and that leads me to another thing that would need changed, which leads me to another thing, and then another thing.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • The front

the inside,

rsvp card outside

rsvp inside

• eirwyneirwyn member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Whoa. Those are awesome!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:4c76774b-3d00-4737-8a69-72957a38ebb5">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: come talk to me : How would you change the system? I keep thinking how I would and that leads me to another thing that would need changed, which leads me to another thing, and then another thing.

I would get rid of the Department of Education, not hire any unionozed teachers, pay based off of merit, provide mentorship to new teachers, and require additional training every few years.

Basically have some accountability.  If your kids are underperforming, you go on probabtion, given help and training, and if after that you still suck, your fired.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I honestly think a large part of the issue is people being so effing self-centered. People refuse to raise property taxes to cover the costs of education, because they don't have kids in school anymore.  Teachers don't get paid enough. I wouldn't blame the good ones for leaving to jobs that pay more. I don't know. It's all such a clusterfuck.

That and parents constantly thinking they know better than parents. And teachers having to accommodate parents all the time because otherwise all hell will break loose. 
  • Those are awesome Ski!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:e5a9df67-2217-4e8f-a457-e7528c6b3191">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]I honestly think a large part of the issue is people being so effing self-centered. People refuse to raise property taxes to cover the costs of education, because they don't have kids in school anymore.  <strong><u>Teachers don't get paid enough</u></strong>. I wouldn't blame the good ones for leaving to jobs that pay more. I don't know. It's all such a clusterfuck. That and parents constantly thinking they know better than parents. And teachers having to accommodate parents all the time because otherwise all hell will break loose. 
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

Lol, they do here.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    You guys arent talking about this anymore but I want to point out we have 8 sheet sets for our one bed. We got a shitton of sheets for our wedding and theyre all amazing.

Carry on.

Also, homemade pizza is the freaking bomb.
  • Teachers eventually get paid enough, after they stick around for awhile. Which isn't hard when they're guaranteed a job after 2 years. But starting out, not nearly enough. At least not here. I have friends (with freaking masters degrees) making barely $30k. (Which is not enough in Minneapolis).. .and those are the ones taking the hardest jobs, the ones trying to teach English in the poorest, most underperforming high schools. You know, where 10th graders are reading at a 3rd grade level.  

I dunno. I agree with Hike about the pay scale. You shouldn't get paid more just because you've been there. Now, if you've been there and your kids always perform well, sure, bring on the raises.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:9406d7ba-5994-4606-b224-d38f68c7c868">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: come talk to me : I would get rid of the Department of Education, not hire any unionozed teachers, pay based off of merit, provide mentorship to new teachers, and require additional training every few years. Basically have some accountability.  If your kids are underperforming, you go on probabtion, given help and training, and if after that you still suck, your fired.

So then how do you ensure there is money to five raises? Just knowing how it works in my county, the superintendent would use that money for other things. Would he be made to use a certain amount towards merit raises?

Also, how do you determine the different of merit between teachers who teach in schools with parents who are around and help and those teachers who teach in lower income schools? Because it isn't an even playing field and the test would be the same. Or would you do away with testing and have the teacher sow individual student growth?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • My sister is a hugh scrapbooker type person, she manages an Archiver's store in CO.  They are completely untraditional but then we were going for something different. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:425ea1a3-12e6-45c6-b1bf-a6f36b6a16d9">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Teachers eventually get paid enough, after they stick around for awhile. Which isn't hard when they're guaranteed a job after 2 years. But starting out, not nearly enough. At least not here. I have friends (with freaking masters degrees) making barely $30k. (Which is not enough in Minneapolis).. .and those are the ones taking the hardest jobs, the ones trying to teach English in the poorest, most underperforming high schools. You know, where 10th graders are reading at a 3rd grade level.   I dunno. I agree with Hike about the pay scale. You shouldn't get paid more just because you've been there. Now, if you've been there and your kids always perform well, sure, bring on the raises.

Average salary for a teacher here is just about 60K.

<a href="http://www.teachersalaryinfo.com/average-teacher-salary-massachusetts.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.teachersalaryinfo.com/average-teacher-salary-massachusetts.html</a>
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sorry I can't edit my terrible iPad typing on my post. And jus to put it out there. I like your ideas. I hope my questions didnt come off as combative as I'm sure some teachers do when discussing this.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:8a2a7cc5-82c6-4954-bb8d-9bae5aa7e551">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: come talk to me : So then how do you ensure there is money to five raises? Just knowing how it works in my county, the superintendent would use that money for other things. Would he be made to use a certain amount towards merit raises? Also, how do you determine the different of merit between teachers who teach in schools with parents who are around and help and those teachers who teach in lower income schools? Because it isn't an even playing field and the test would be the same. Or would you do away with testing and have the teacher sow individual student growth?

If kids were starting to perform better, then I dont think people would have a problem with more tax money going to salaries.  But as it stands right now, these teachers are getting a lot of money in salary (and pension which lots of people forget) and the kids are not performing.

I dont buy into it being impossible to teach poor kids.  I hate that argument.  It can be done and is done in many charter schools in poor cities.  Some of those kids do better than the rich white kids.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • According to that, MN averages $50k. But that includes private schools and teachers that have been doing it for 20 years or more. Honestly, I don't think that's too much.
  • Hi!  
    I'm only on page 1 - Steph - I have 2 sets of sheets for each bed. - so 4.

LHT - my grandma lives near Norfolk.  It was my grandfather's last base and they retired near there.

I just got back from a 3.3 mile walk with the dog and took a shower.  Now I'm eating a cookie and waiting for my pizza to warm up in the oven.  I stuck it in there on a paper plate cause I don't have a cookie sheet yet or anything... that's okay, right?
  • Blue, that surprizes me, I thought the average wage was lower nationwide.  Teachers are required to have such a hugh amount of education.  I totally can get on board for raises/continued job guarentee based on performance.  I also have no issues paying teachers a fair wage for what they are doing, they are teaching the youth that will take care of us when we age.  I have always believed it takes a community to raise a child.

• Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:5db087c2-ede8-4e50-bf8c-99aebc5a4dd8">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry I can't edit my terrible iPad typing on my post. And jus to put it out there. I like your ideas. I hope my questions didnt come off as combative as I'm sure some teachers do when discussing this.

Lol, no worries.  I not the biggest fan of teachers.  Not individually, just the profession as a whole (in regards to the politics and policy that is involved). 

I dont believe in paying someone for 30 years a good salary, and then paying them for an additional 20-30 years in pension for a mediocre job.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:d18bec2a-ebf0-4dde-9615-340ba09dc919">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi!   I'm only on page 1 - Steph - I have 2 sets of sheets for each bed. - so 4. LHT - my grandma lives near Norfolk.  It was my grandfather's last base and they retired near there. I just got back from a 3.3 mile walk with the dog and took a shower.  Now I'm eating a cookie and waiting for my pizza to warm up in the oven. <strong> I stuck it in there on a paper plate cause I don't have a cookie sheet yet or anything... that's okay, right?</strong>
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]
    lol oh loopy. I honestly dont know but that is super cute. Gotta get'er done somehow.
  • I don't think it's impossible but background knowledge is a pretty huge thing and some kids have it and some don't. 

For example- I had 2 kids in my class. One who read at home with their parents and was a great, above grade level reader. The second kid was a second grade reader in 5th grade. So he might not pass the test but he also might move up a grade level or two in a year.

(I'm not complaining because I love teaching those kind of kids and I'm not against merit based pay, I just wonder the solution)
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • cheeseandricecheeseandrice member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2012
    haha loopy, as long as you don't leave it in too long you should be fine. My mom always reheated our pizza in the cardboard box.

Blue, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think teaching is a mediocre job. Not even close.  Not if it's done right at least.
  • Nebb, what kind of pizza did you make.  We had Skinny Shrimp Alfredo.  It was okay, probably better as leftovers as most pastas are.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:ef29ae61-1c34-407a-8dc7-35638834db64">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]According to that, MN averages $50k. But that includes private schools and teachers that have been doing it for 20 years or more. Honestly, I don't think that's too much.

Well of course the starting salary is lower.  Its an entry level job the first few years.  These people are right out of college.  Should they be walking into 50K a year jobs at 22 years old and no experience?

They already get friggin tenure after 3 years.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:00c4b213-794e-46b0-aa19-69fecdc54ebe">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: come talk to me : Lol, no worries.  I not the biggest fan of teachers.  Not individually, just the profession as a whole (in regards to the politics and policy that is involved).  I dont believe in paying someone for 30 years a good salary, and then paying them for an additional 20-30 years in pension for a mediocre job.

<div>Haha. My husband get's that with the military. Don't hate our family. I promise we aren't bad. :-)</div><div>Edit: I DO NOT think the military is a mediocre job. Just putting that out there.</div><div>
    </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards