Snarky Brides
Options

unpop ops

Re: unpop ops

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:03d6edfb-4a78-42a8-a49c-839fe5c63299">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]So Achi, what's on your reading list?    Milton? Because if you haven't read Paradise Lost then "ZOMG you're 12!" Dryden? Shakespeare?  Oh wait. Not everyone sits down with the Norton Edition of Brit. Lit. when they read. And it doesn't mean they're 12.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

Currently?

Water For Elephants
    The Almost Moon
    The Girl who Played with Fire
    The Other Queen
    The 10 Conversations to Have before you Get Married.

Plus whatever is on my "to read" shelf that doesn't immediately spring to mind.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Oh God Bec, I hate animal prints too. 

I was shopping with my mom recently and she begged me to try on this leopard print dress.  I tried it on and it fit me really well and looked nice on me, but I could not get past the animal print.  I told my mom I felt like a cheap skank and she was completely bewildered.

I don't really judge other people for wearing animal prints because I kinda think some people can pull them off, but I'm definitely not one of them.  I look dumb.
    panther
  • Options
    K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:43d83025-df4e-4e8c-bed1-1b7c80c423d5">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love country music and I loved Scotty and Lauren on AI.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

I know I'm in a minority, Country is the most popular genre in the US, literally. I was just really glad I DVR Idol. J and I actually fast forwarded through most of the finale, only listening to make 30sec-1min of each performance, if that. I just can't listen to it. That and Metal. Between those two and James this season was pretty bad for me.

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:61f25f09-3b32-4fa3-8e1e-e7e00764e5d2">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: unpop ops : this just totally pisses me off. <strong>First off- have you ever read the books?</strong> Screw the movies for a second- but have you tried reading the books? If no,- then honestly don't sit there and call others 12 year olds. You may not remember what the contemporary literature landscape was like pre-HP, but the book was the spark that got so many bored kids back to reading again. That said, the books were so masterfully written that there are layers and undercurrents that only adults would detect.  You don't have to like it but please don't be so condescending as to assume that all adults who read it are moronic wannabe children.
    Posted by Starmusica[/QUOTE]

I've previously answered this - yes I read a few of the first in the series and didn't see the appeal so I stopped reading them.

It's just my opinion- and yes it's unpopular, which is what this thread is supposed to be about.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:c0cdd69d-fabc-47a5-9e37-7c55149c1ef4">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: unpop ops : Currently? Water For Elephants The Almost Moon The Girl who Played with Fire The Other Queen The 10 Conversations to Have before you Get Married. Plus whatever is on my "to read" shelf that doesn't immediately spring to mind.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

I fear you missed my point.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:ad89d733-5040-4129-a898-daca46aa0fe2">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: unpop ops : My stepdad LOVES Nascar, so I have a little more appreciation for it after having him explain everything, watching races, etc. It's still boring to me, but I can see why he enjoys it. Have you read any true crime by Lee Butcher? I only ask because I know him. He's the only TC author I even know the name of, let alone know in person.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

Sesh, I've looked for some, and haven't found any. I'll check Amazon, but I think the last time I checked, they were out of print. I remember you mentioning him before. I'm liking Kathryn Casey right now - hers seem to be about crimes in TX.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    along the TC lines- a reporter I used to work with has now turned TC author and has written a few book about some pretty insane cases in NH- Kevin Flynn

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:9f987cfc-5a4b-4ada-b559-67f1698dd1c2">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: unpop ops : I've previously answered this - yes I read a few of the first in the series and didn't see the appeal so I stopped reading them.<strong> It's just my opinion- and yes it's unpopular, which is what this thread is supposed to be about.</strong>

Nobody has a problem with your opinion. You offended a lot of people when you compared HP fans to 12 year olds. You can see how that would be offensive, right?
    imageimage
  • Options
    marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Country music is the best, I think NASCAR is pretty awesome, trucks with big tires make me happy and Smart cars makes me want to stab someone in the fucking throat, dirt roads are better than asphalt, Coors Light tastes better than most craft beers. /hillbilly rant
  • Options
    I don't know how unpopular this is, but I fucking hate Britney Spears. I've never cared for her music, her public exploits are idiotic, and she makes me embarrassed to be from Louisiana sometimes.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:0164b753-954a-4e69-88ea-07c75774b234">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: unpop ops : I fear you missed my point.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

No, I got it loud and clear. I just don't have the time to address it as I'm headed into a meeting. Happy friday.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:05376c64-27a6-466c-b75b-b2bbaa37df79">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: unpop ops : I know I'm in a minority, Country is the most popular genre in the US, literally. I was just really glad I DVR Idol. J and I actually fast forwarded through most of the finale, only listening to make 30sec-1min of each performance, if that. I just can't listen to it. That and Metal. Between those two and James this season was pretty bad for me.
    Posted by kcullen37[/QUOTE]

I can totally understand why some people don't like country music.  It's something I grew up with and even though it's not my favorite genre (I'm more into classic rock) I love listening to it because it gives me this nostalgic feeling.  Not like friggen Taylor Swift country, but Garth Brooks, George Strait, Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney kind of country.  The gooooooood stuff :) Scotty has a really classic tone.  He's a goofy kid, no doubt, but he will be a ridic country star.  Lauren too.

I thought AI had a really talented pool this year.  I loved Scotty, Lauren, Haley, Casey, Paul.  I could have done without James, too.  He always came off like he was trying too hard or something, I never connected with him.  Pia was boring as hell.  And that Jacob guy was just way too weepy and over the top.
    panther
  • Options
    Achi, you implied that people who read HP are either unintelligent or immature.
     I just spent 4 years reading and writing about Literature. My last semester was devoted to a paper  regarding the possible benefits to female readers of using a deconsctructive approach to signifiers in The Scarlet Letter. I don't think my love of HP reflects negatively on me in any way. But apparently you do. That's not "unpopular." It's condescending.

And now I'm going to work. Later ladies!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:fec5cfd3-2b46-406a-898c-56bf45c0feb1">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know how unpopular this is, but I fucking hate Britney Spears. I've never cared for her music, her public exploits are idiotic, and she makes me embarrassed to be from Louisiana sometimes.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

High fucking five.  I can't stand that skank-a-dank.
    panther
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:9916615e-64c8-4bf8-bcd1-91d00ebbd71f">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]Country music is the best, I think NASCAR is pretty awesome, trucks with big tires make me happy and Smart cars makes me want to stab someone in the fucking throat, dirt roads are better than asphalt, Coors Light tastes better than most craft beers. /hillbilly rant
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]
    yes!! coors is the shiit! 
  • Options
    K ByteK Byte member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I hate the entire "your entertainment choices are dumb" debate. It just seems so pointless. I know arguing on the internet in general is pointless, but TV/book elitism on the internet just seems really super duper pointless to me. American Idol and Dancing with the Stars and Jersey Shore aren't making America dumb, they're just easy scapegoat targets.
  • Options
    H has been reading "A Series of Unfortunate Events" to me and wee baby Kieran at night, and I love them!

ETA: Bonus points to anyone that gets the "Wee baby Kieran" reference (or, "wee baby Shamus", in its real form).
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:4029ca94-02ae-4728-a863-6a6200179351">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well shiit, I read all the HP books over and over again, saw the movies whenever it's on TV and went to Wizarding World of Harry Potter 4 times when I was in Orlando. So that make me like what, 10 years old? Maybe even 7? Possibly 6? I need to grow the fuuck up.
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>How was it?! H and I want to plan a trip there. When we started dating, the books were huge and the movies were just starting to come out. We've seen nearly all of them together at midnight. It's something we bonded over in the beginning. He even read all the books (he was a movie, not a book fan) for me :) We are children together.</div><div>
    </div><div>Hell I guess H and I ARE kids. He works for a toy company and cartoons fill up our DVR. I can't say I watch many of them but our kids will sure love it.</div>

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:36e72ea3-85af-41b4-bb52-cc22d93fa29a">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: unpop ops : Sesh, I've looked for some, and haven't found any. I'll check Amazon, but I think the last time I checked, they were out of print. I remember you mentioning him before. I'm liking Kathryn Casey right now - hers seem to be about crimes in TX.
    Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]

I don't think all of them are out of print, I'll have to check. And I doubt his new one will be released for awhile. He is really sick (heart problems) so I don't think he will be able to finish, even with me helping him. It's just too much work.

Star, a reporter from my hometown just released a book about Gerald Stano, a serial killer from my town. One of his victims was my mom's childhood friend who lived right down the street. It's so creepy reading the book and recognizing all the places and landmarks.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:a5210a8e-d4f9-4bce-9d2b-b5af279506bc">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]H has been reading "A Series of Unfortunate Events" to me and wee baby Kieran at night, and I love them! ETA: Bonus points to anyone that gets the "Wee baby Kieran" reference (or, "wee baby Shamus", in its real form).
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]
    I have a crush on Sterling Archer. For realz.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:49cc0a95-0651-48a8-b061-f429768fcff2">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh God Bec, I hate animal prints too.  I was shopping with my mom recently and she begged me to try on this leopard print dress.  I tried it on and it fit me really well and looked nice on me, but I could not get past the animal print.  I told my mom I felt like a cheap skank and she was completely bewildered. I don't really judge other people for wearing animal prints because I kinda think some people can pull them off, but I'm definitely not one of them.  I look dumb.

I've never seen it work for anyone or anything. Not even once. Of course, that's just my unpop op!

I hate Britney too, as well as the country music. I stopped watching Idol weeks and weeks ago because of it.
  • Options
    allisong23allisong23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:65f701a3-7739-48c7-a2b7-a2f3cefc4a08">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: unpop ops : I have a crush on Sterling Archer. For realz.
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

Yes! Love that show! And I have started calling the baby "Wee baby Kieran". People think I am strange, but whatevs.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:9005d2c1-2949-44ba-9658-6a8690cd95f8">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: unpop ops : High fucking five.  I can't stand that skank-a-dank.

Leave Brittney Alone!!!  I like the old Spears stuff... although her new music is pretty meh. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I want to go to the Harry Potter park at Universal, and I'm not even a super huge HP fan. I just think it will eb a cool place to see. And I do plan on dragging some knotties with me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:3ba1445a-0fef-4e55-bbf6-fa3cd2459877">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: unpop ops : I don't think all of them are out of print, I'll have to check. And I doubt his new one will be released for awhile. He is really sick (heart problems) so I don't think he will be able to finish, even with me helping him. It's just too much work. Star, a reporter from my hometown just released a book about Gerald Stano, a serial killer from my town. One of his victims was my mom's childhood friend who lived right down the street. It's so creepy reading the book and recognizing all the places and landmarks.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>oh wow that must be so weird! These are just stories I covered when I worked in news.</div>

my book shelf:
  • Options
    K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:ad6b2139-e161-40c5-b69d-36bb3571d9e8">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: unpop ops : I can totally understand why some people don't like country music.  It's something I grew up with and even though it's not my favorite genre (I'm more into classic rock) I love listening to it because it gives me this nostalgic feeling.  Not like friggen Taylor Swift country, but Garth Brooks, George Strait, Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney kind of country.  The gooooooood stuff :) <strong>Scotty has a really classic tone.  He's a goofy kid, no doubt, but he will be a ridic country star.</strong>  Lauren too. I thought AI had a really talented pool this year.  I loved Scotty, Lauren, <strong>Haley, Casey, Paul</strong>.  I could have done without James, too.  He always came off like he was trying too hard or something, I never connected with him.  Pia was boring as hell.  And that Jacob guy was just way too weepy and over the top.

Totally, he's going to sell out stadium I think. I can see their talent, I just don't like their music if that makes sense. It's kind of like Dave Matthew Band for me, they play some sick music.. and then he opens his mouth and ruins it for me. 

And the last 3 on your list were my favorites. I loved Paul, he was adorable and his voice was so unique.

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:a5210a8e-d4f9-4bce-9d2b-b5af279506bc">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]H has been reading "A Series of Unfortunate Events" to me and wee baby Kieran at night, and I love them! ETA: Bonus points to anyone that gets the "Wee baby Kieran" reference (or, "wee baby Shamus", in its real form).
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]

I love Series of Unfortunate Events! Those books are so awesome. Chloe is just getting into them, and that makes me so happy. :)
  • Options
    Hunger Games the movie is being shot a few miles from my hometown. True story. I need to read these.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:c0dcd199-ffcf-4648-ad90-08df59c18d9f">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: unpop ops : Totally, he's going to sell out stadium I think. I can see their talent, I just don't like their music if that makes sense.<strong> It's kind of like Dave Matthew Band for me, they play some sick music.. and then he opens his mouth and ruins it for me.</strong>  And the last 3 on your list were my favorites. I loved Paul, he was adorable and his voice was so unique.
    Posted by kcullen37[/QUOTE]

Sooooo nodding my head with you on this one.  I have so many friends who consider seeing DMB live to be some sort of religious experience.  To me when he sings he sounds like some sort of warbling, sick bird.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpop-ops?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bdecc144-de00-4112-a51b-c140fc5a380dPost:8d87eab1-e38f-4058-ab63-eabb24ae084f">Re: unpop ops</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: unpop ops : I know, it's so annoying when 30 year olds come up to me and are like "OMG.. have you seen the new HP move?" <strong>Um, no I haven't - I'm not 12.</strong>

Hey, judge all you want, but this tells me you know nothing about the story. It might be marketing towards kids in the US, simply because it features younger characters, but it's not a "kids series." It deals with really adult themes.

*nerd alert* I used to be a part of an adult Harry Potter group which met monthly. Before the last 2 books came out - even before the very last one came out - we would meet for lunch monthly and have fascinated discussions about theory, predictions, imagery, character motivations... there's a LOT that's REALLY deep in the books. It's why so many people have been able to read them so many times. Myself included. It's impossible to pick up everything on the first reading... or even the fifth.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards