Wedding Etiquette Forum

phrases gone wrong.

Re: phrases gone wrong.

• realAtor vs realtor - Cause that seems to be a word now. I hear it ALL the time, even realtors say it! JewelERy vs jewelry - Really? Just how does this happen?I know, those drive me crazy!
  • well so it does - I always knew it as the 't' being silent and pronouncing it just sounds weird. Guess I'm just going to have to bite my tongue now when people pronounce it that way from now on
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • my boss says things like: "By the skin of our panties" - he's a man, which makes that much worse.and"let the elephant out of the bag"
  • S/O continentMy nephew replied to me in a family email arguing the new health insurance reforms."Australia!  WTF, some dinky little island in the middle of nowhere is an example you think is valid?"Australia happens to be a continent, a country and an island.  And hardly dinky.l
  • Nuggs, I want to sit and talk to your grandma!  She seems like a riot! I miss mine. :(
  • Noodle pronounces double T sounds as double D sounds. So "buttons" becomes "buddons", and "Daytons" becomes "Daydons". My FI does this too! He says kiddens.
  • I answered three emails and altered one map, and so now I can play on TK again! :)My mother has her own damn language. These aren't really phrases, but rather horribly massacred words. She says "oxgygen", "meermaid", "anti-Q" (for antique), "alaka-setzer", "condomems"... I could go on and on. And she's a fairly intelligent person. I'm so lost sometimes as to how she arrives at the thoughts she does. What was wrong with "In the garden of Mr. and Mrs. W"?
  • When people at work were trying to make things more difficult then they really were, my one coworker would say "it's not brain science!" I miss her.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Oh, one more...the same co-worker that says "Valentime's Day" was also complaining about our job one day and the lack of "French benefits"  i had to leave the room.
  • Salt that reminds me of Kath & Kim when Selma Blair said something wasn't "rocket surgery"
  • I confess, I say "We'll burn that bridge after we cross it", *but* I do it because I think it's funny, not because I think it's correct. Does that make it okay? Also, my dad constantly says things are "illrelevant". I corrected him once. He didn't appreciate it.
    ========= Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have a coworker who "borrows people money" instead of lending it to them. Drives me up a wall.FebOOary drives me nuts too, Fische. My boss says artTITtetchure for "architecture." Don't ask me how she gets there.
  • "it's not brain science!" Haha!  FI once had some guy at work tell him that "it's not rocket scientry!"
  • My DH and I were babysitting his cousin who had some friends over. I think they were 14/15 at the time. (Cousin had big drug issues and couldn't be left alone, which was why we were babysitting.) We were all talking about places in the US when her friend announced that she couldn't wait to drive out of CA and into Reno. We asked her if she meant NV but she was serious, she wanted to drive from CA to the Reno, the State. After we finished laughing, it took us 10-15 minutes to convince her that Reno was a Town in NV not a State in the US.
  • This is a big problem in Baltimore, but I hate it when people "axe" a question.
  • The thought of your grandma crying makes me a little weepy.  I hope things get resolved quickly.I think "rocket surgery" will be my new phrase.  That is too funny!
  • This is a big problem in Baltimore, but I hate it when people "axe" a question.OMFG that drives me so nuts.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Where I live, people tend to call it K-Mark's instead of Kmart and Walmark's instead of Walmart. I also know a guy who refers to his driver's license as plural. He'll say "I need to get them renewed". It drives me crazy.
  • The same co-worker who borrows people money also interchanges "matters" with "depends." Me: will you have time to meet me after work? Co-worker: it just matters what time my replacement gets here. Me: no it doesn't, it depends on what time she gets here, moron.
  • [i]This is a big problem in Baltimore, but I hate it when people "axe" a question.[/i] Oh god yes. I've heard it so many times now that I feel immune to it's annoyingness.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Oh! Almost forgot... mispronunciations that get my thong in a twist: Expresso Quesadilla (kwee-sah-dill-uh) Ca-ber-ray or Car-burn-nay instead of Cabernet (Sauvignon) Armaretto instead of Amaretto
    ========= Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • OMG vogt I have a friend who does that and it drives me absolutely batty!!  I thought she was the only person in the world to do that.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Bec, nothing is wrong with "in the garden of..."  I just have a dirty mind.  Now I feel like a total perv.
  • I make up words, but I do it to be funny (well, more stupid that funny.)I say rocket surgery all the time. I call "lemonade" lemlonade. I call "animals" aminals. I call "sandwiches" sammiches. I do this at home to drive FI nuts, not when I'm actually trying to use the word in conversation.
  • I like to mess up quesadilla.  I pronounce it kwee-sah-dilla.  I also pronounce it as mo-jai-to, and guak-ka-mole-ai, and fah-jai-tahs.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• I also know a guy who refers to his driver's license as plural. He'll say "I need to get them renewed". It drives me crazy.Are you sure he's not actually talking about his license plates? Those are called licenses and also need to be renewed.
    Married
    Planning
  • Oh jesus coco! I just re-read it and put on my dirty mind filter and laughed until I almost peed my Diet Coke out! I'm so freakin glad you said someting so that I can change my invites before they go out to my pervy friends!
  • So many of mine have been covered already. Of/have - that's really starting to get to me. Feboorary bugs me too. But one of my co-workers calls Costco "Costcos". It drives me batty.
  • I had a prof that used to say subistitue instead of substitute.He also made up the word solubilize. (sol-OO-buh-lize)  We think he meant dissolve.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love fa-jai-tahs.  So many fun dirty jokes just waiting to be made...
    Married
    Planning
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards