Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

phrases gone wrong.

Re: phrases gone wrong.

• Options
    Apparently not, TLV!Nuggs, I do that too, but it's more to make fun of my grandma without her knowing (in a kind, loving way).Whenever we go out for mexican, she always orders something chicken. She pronounces "pollo" perfectly "poy-yo"Then she asks the waiter for extra "tortiLLas" every single time. Pollo is not an americanized word, especially in Iowa. How she can get that right, and not tortillas is beyond me. So, whenever we go out, I order Kwe-cee-dillas or fa-g-tas. She doesn't get it :)
  • Options
    *subistituteI missed a "t"
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    And my dad pronounces it Home Dep-o.  Like the hair gel.It's DEE-po.  Get it right.
  • Options
    I do the quesadilla thing to be silly too.... it's just astounding when people say it and don't realize it's wrong. When I was a waitress at Denny's (many moons ago), a guy came in and ordered the "cheese kweez-godzillas" -- so that's what we call them at my house :) Now that I think about it, I should probably make sure the kids know the origin of the word and don't think that (a) that's what they're really called or (b) that mom is completely stupid.
    ========= Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My baba loves caesar salad. But whenever we go to a restaurant, and the waitress asks her what kind of salad she would like, she always asks for a garden. When asked what type of dressing, she always asks for caesar dressing. Then the waitress gets confused and asks her if she wants a caesar salad, she says no. Start process over. She also thinks its "killing two bugs with one stone", rather than birds. And, she thinks side-effects is pain in your sides. Some of her medications give her bad side-effects.
  • Options
    Are you sure he's not actually talking about his license plates? Those are called licenses and also need to be renewed. tlv, I only have one license plate. raynes, my dad says Home Depot. On purpose. He also calls the Camry a Camray. And my parents called Yoo-Hoo "Yahoo" until I was six and figured out they were stupid.
  • Options
    Glad I could help, Bec! 
  • Options
    Oooh yeah good point.  Missouri has plates in front and back, I always forget lots of other states only have one.  Still, it might be an option for the guy.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    There was a beebee on WW complaining how she always got her older sister's hammy downs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    FI also insists on ordering gyros (even though he knows better)... exactly how they are spelled... gi-ro...  particulary embarassing at authentic greek places.
  • Options
    I originally read the title of this post as Phases Gone Wrong. Like my younger sister who had a rebellious phase but didn't rebel... rebellion phase gone wrong.
  • Options
    georgia, glad to know mine's not the only moron ;)FI pronounces some things weirdly now.  He works will Polish guys all day, and says a lot of things the same way they do.So he will have laid 400 SQUARE feet, instead of square FEET.But that's not anything big...
  • Options
    FI also orders Gi-ros and will argue with me about the correct way to say it!  It always bugs me when people say they have to itch their arm.  No....you scratch an itch, you don't itch a scratch!Most of the ones that drive me crazy have been mentioned but I just have to say that this thread is cracking me up!  I am sitting here, looking like a moron, trying to figure out how to incorrectly say these! 
  • Options
    I also know a guy who refers to his driver's license as plural. He'll say "I need to get them renewed". It drives me crazy.Are you sure he's not actually talking about his license plates? Those are called licenses and also need to be renewed. Yes, he and I work for an insurance company and he's a trainer. He is definetely talking about the license, unfortunately.
  • Options
    What is the proper pronunciation of gyro?  We don't actually call them that here so it's not like I'm rampantly saying it wrong and offending people, but now I'm curious.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    It's a year-oh, not a j like in jelly ji-roh.
    ========= Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Kind of like "he-ro", only with a little roll on the "r"... I don't know how to phonetically describe, sorry... maybe someone else can help!
  • Options
    I don't call them that either, wading... I like to call them subs... so much easier! :0)
    photobucket-29369-1334754217385 2012-12-30_13-03-57_810_zps6f98a3be
  • Options
    one more thing--when people say "perfec" instead of "perfect"
  • Options
    We have Donairs and Shwarmas but no place that calls them gyro.  I do realize they're not all the same thing.

• Options
    My aunt used to always use the word "freezenin'". I'm freezenin in here. It's freezenin outside. It blew my mind when, in 3rd grade, i learned it was FREEZING. she still does it and it drives me crazy. crazeny.
  • Options
    Yeah it's year-oh.  At least that's what they told me in Greece.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    I'm super late to this, but read it as I was getting off the phone with my friend. She's in a bad mood and so I couldn't tell her she was aggravating me, so I'll bust it out here.She told me to hold on while she "closed the lights" in the living room. Grr. Argh! *twitch*
  • Options
    Wicked late on this, but I hate when people say "nip it in the butt".  Are you effing kidding me?!!  It's BUD! What would you nip in the butt?
    I'm friends with everybody in this office. We're all best friends - I love everybody here. But sometimes your best friends start coming into work late, and start having dentist appointments that aren't dentist appointments. And that's when it is nice to let them know that you can beat them up.
  • Options
    My grandmother says "listen at"  It drives me nutty.  I corrected her once as a kid.  That wasn't such a good idea.I hate when people say "idear" and "ideal" instead of idea.  Conversate makes me stabbity.  I also hate it when people say "mash" that button.  The random pronunciation thing in the south that drives me batty is THANKSgiving.  It's so weird.  My boss also says UMbrella. 
  • Options
    Wait, aren't thanksgiving and umbrella correct? Now I feel dumb and confused. Other than that leah, who the f do you hang out with that says those things?
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    She told me to hold on while she "closed the lights" in the living roomIs she French?  Because in French, you say ferme la lumiere (gah, it's been awhile, that's probably wrong), which translates as close the light.

• Options
    In a university class, I once wrote "from the gecko" in a report. Felt like an idiot when the teacher circled it and wrote "a small lizard????"... and I'm not going to lie, I always thought that's what is was. What's worse is I pride myself on my writing. Ugh *hangs head in shame*
  • Options
    Alas, Moose, I hoped that would be the reason and actually asked her once if she spoke another language as her first language. She said no. I'm guilty (I'm sure) of some random "this-doesn't-translate-but-I'm-gonna-try-anyway" things as someone who spoke French first, but she has zero excuse!
  • Options
    heh.  Well, there goes the benefit of the doubt on that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards