Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not

Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:fa617d24-ac6b-4b22-959c-2f8923f5c3bb">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not : I was reading today (not sure how true it is) that there were two different guys in that tehater that died throwing their gfs on the floor and shielding them.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

I read something that said it was 4 people who did that. It's been nice to hear stories about people helping each other out and helping victims - it's always nice hearing something positive among all the negative, ya know?
  • Options
    LizzieyounceLizzieyounce member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:fa617d24-ac6b-4b22-959c-2f8923f5c3bb">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not : I was reading today (not sure how true it is) that there were two different guys in that tehater that died throwing their gfs on the floor and shielding them.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>There were 3...I'm stuck between admiration at their bravery and unselfishness and just being so very, very sad at it all.

</div>
  • Options
    I still can't get over that guy who abandoned his 4 month old, his GF and her small daughter to their own devices and fled the room without even trying to help them  Then he had the nerve to propose to her? In the hospital where she lay injured? And she was stupid enough to ACCEPT?  I'd have hummed my bedpan at his head.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:0a684335-7274-4565-ae16-ae1a6c6740f4">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, the dude was wearing protective armor and bulletproof vests, so even if someone did have a gun and decided to shoot the shooter (in the midst of people running around, darkness, tear gas, and chaos), it probably wouldn't have stopped him anyway.  And that's if the bullet hid the shooter, and not one of the innocent people trying to escape with their lives. I'd be PISSED if some vigilante killed him.  That's the easy way out for him. 
    Posted by pkontk[/QUOTE]

The way I see it is this.

I concur with PPs that a trained person with a CCP probably wouldn't have fired at the shooter in a dark theater.  HOWEVER.  If I'm in a public place, and a jackhole walks in and starts opening fire on everyone, the first thing I'm going to do is duck for fucking cover.  The second thing?  Pray to God that SOMEONE has a gun to fire at this fukcer.  I think if you've got a CCP, you are hopefully trained enough to nail the guy right in the leg and be able to take the guy down without killing him.  You want to know why I hope someone's got a concealed weapon?  Because while I do trust the cops to show up, it's going to take time for them to get there.  Whether it's one minute, or ten minutes or whatever - it takes time for the proper authorities to show up.  In the meantime, if no one is there who can take the guy down, we are all at his mercy.  And normally, nutters don't have mercy.  Only blatant disregard for life as is evidenced in their actions of peppering people with bullets.

I don't have any interest in having guns or a CCP for myself, but the thing about CCP - if they are doing it right, no one will ever know they have a weapon on them.  A weapon, concealed and properly safetied, will not harm anyone in the room.

Guns DO make me nervous, but I have major respect for those weapons, and major respect for people who know their gun shiiit.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:9412dac3-6479-4c02-a413-8c8231d366ac">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]I still can't get over that guy who abandoned his 4 month old, his GF and her small daughter to their own devices and fled the room without even trying to help them  Then he had the nerve to propose to her? In the hospital where she lay injured? And she was stupid enough to ACCEPT?  I'd have hummed my bedpan at his head.
    Posted by Lizzieyounce[/QUOTE]

Um what? I did not hear about that.
    She's dumb for accepting. He's just a douchecanoe.

Horrible person of the year award.
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I don't know where we are on this but I read the last page. Guns? Sure. CCP? Eh, OK, not a fan. Legal semi-automatic weapons that were illegal until congress aloowed the assault rifle ban to expire in 2004? HELL FUUCKING NO.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    I know this is totally off topic, but can you guys keep my friends in your T&P's please.  They were just evacuated from their homes due to uncontrolled fires. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:217996e8-8c8b-4959-8448-7b06954f2090">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not : The way I see it is this. I concur with PPs that a trained person with a CCP probably wouldn't have fired at the shooter in a dark theater.  HOWEVER.  If I'm in a public place, and a jackhole walks in and starts opening fire on everyone, the first thing I'm going to do is duck for fucking cover.  The second thing?  Pray to God that SOMEONE has a gun to fire at this fukcer.  I think if you've got a CCP, you are hopefully trained enough to nail the guy right in the leg and be able to take the guy down without killing him.  You want to know why I hope someone's got a concealed weapon?  Because while I do trust the cops to show up, it's going to take time for them to get there.  Whether it's one minute, or ten minutes or whatever - it takes time for the proper authorities to show up.  In the meantime, if no one is there who can take the guy down, we are all at his mercy.  And normally, nutters don't have mercy.  Only blatant disregard for life as is evidenced in their actions of peppering people with bullets.<strong> I don't have any interest in having guns or a CCP for myself, but the thing about CCP - if they are doing it right, no one will ever know they have a weapon on them.</strong>  A weapon, concealed and properly safetied, will not harm anyone in the room. Guns DO make me nervous, but I have major respect for those weapons, and major respect for people who know their gun shiiit.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

This is true.  My Dad has his CCP and he has a gun small enough to fit into a holder that looks like a wallet.  He took that and his wallet out of his pocket and I asked him why he was carrying two wallets.  He has never had to use it, but he feels much safer now that in case something happened he can (he gets regular class updates/safety lessons/range practice).
    imageVacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:010bdee7-ca93-435e-bf7f-50a23f56c903">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know this is totally off topic, but can you guys keep my friends in your T&P's please.  They were just evacuated from their homes due to uncontrolled fires. 
    Posted by Habs2Hart[/QUOTE]

Oh gosh Ts&Ps their way!
  • Options
    I'm a little late, but oh well. Hey Ldy, you're right, my H is a correction's officer. I tend to agree with you on the TV stuff morally. It's when my H and one other guy are manning the whole jail (50 ish inmates) by themselves that shiiit gets real. The entire system is flawed. It pisses me right the fuuuck off when I visit my H at work and see everybody watching the flat screen, playing ping pong, etc. But then I hear the story about how my H was alone with the attempted murderer that I remember why there are TVs. There are TVs because when my H walks through 20 inmates doing a security check, they aren't violent, they're distracted. So I guess for the moment I'm ok with how it works.

If we could ever get jails staffed to a point where jailers could actually control inmates, then hell yes take away the TV. In my perfect world, jail/prison would be exactly like you described it.  Of course, you should remember that my H is a jailer at a county jail, NOT a prison. You really can't compare the two because prison is about a million times 'harder.' I don't know as much about what goes on in prisons, just what I know about our state pen. Jails in general tend to be much softer compared to prisons. Sorry that was so long.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:217996e8-8c8b-4959-8448-7b06954f2090">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not : The way I see it is this. I concur with PPs that a trained person with a CCP probably wouldn't have fired at the shooter in a dark theater.  HOWEVER.  If I'm in a public place, and a jackhole walks in and starts opening fire on everyone, the first thing I'm going to do is duck for fucking cover.  The second thing?  Pray to God that SOMEONE has a gun to fire at this fukcer.  I think if you've got a CCP, you are hopefully trained enough to nail the guy right in the leg and be able to take the guy down without killing him.  You want to know why I hope someone's got a concealed weapon?  Because while I do trust the cops to show up, it's going to take time for them to get there.  Whether it's one minute, or ten minutes or whatever - it takes time for the proper authorities to show up.  In the meantime, if no one is there who can take the guy down, we are all at his mercy.  And normally, nutters don't have mercy.  Only blatant disregard for life as is evidenced in their actions of peppering people with bullets. I don't have any interest in having guns or a CCP for myself, but the thing about CCP - if they are doing it right, no one will ever know they have a weapon on them.  A weapon, concealed and properly safetied, will not harm anyone in the room. Guns DO make me nervous, but I have major respect for those weapons, and major respect for people who know their gun shiiit.

<div>
    </div><div>Have you seen the video of that Florida man, he's in his 70's, who took on two thugs in an internet cafe? One came in brandishing a gun, the other a baseball bat and they were both terrorizing the guy behind the desk. Grandpa, old man shorts, socks and all, fires at them.  They escaped, but were injured in the shooting and later arrested.  Grandpa has his CCL.</div><div>
    </div><div>FI (Mike) and most of the cops he knows are all for CCL holders, because he knows that it can take a few minutes for him to get the dispatch and arrive.  Not because of it being the fault of the police (and sometimes, but not often it is) but because the crime is happening in real time, and sometimes it's too late when the police arrive. </div><div>
    </div><div>That said, I don't think that everyone should have a gun. Especially if someone is uncomfortable with them...accidents happen all the time because of this.  But to call for more gun legislation because of Columbine or Aurora, is faulty thinking on the part of those calling for it. NOTHING could have stopped this monster. </div>
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:010bdee7-ca93-435e-bf7f-50a23f56c903">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know this is totally off topic, but can you guys keep my friends in your T&P's please.  They were just evacuated from their homes due to uncontrolled fires. 

I'll be thinking of them for sure, habs. Please keep us updated; that's scary stuff.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:9412dac3-6479-4c02-a413-8c8231d366ac">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]I still can't get over that guy who abandoned his 4 month old, his GF and her small daughter to their own devices and fled the room without even trying to help them  Then he had the nerve to propose to her? In the hospital where she lay injured? And she was stupid enough to ACCEPT?  I'd have hummed my bedpan at his head.

<div>
    </div><div>Wait what?  Yikes.</div><div>
    </div><div> I hate people who jump on band wagons like stricter gun controls because of this.  Guns did not kill those people, Holmes did. </div><div>
    </div><div>  For the life of me I can't figure out why he went through all the trouble of booby-trapping his apartment and then went and told the police about them.  Glad he did, because if not there would have been even more deaths.  Not by guns, but by bombs.  Common denominator is HOLMES.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>My irritation is with my DH.  I have a problem with my foot.   Doctor gave me some vicodin.   DH told me at 10:30 he would come home to fill the script.   Then at 12:30 he called to say he was on his way home.   It's 3pm.    Thanks a lot.    </div><div>
    </div><div>Oh and cable is out.  Was looking forward to watching stupid tv.</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:010bdee7-ca93-435e-bf7f-50a23f56c903">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:

<div>
    </div><div>You got it, Habs. TX went through this last year. It's awful. I really hope that their homes are spared.</div>
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:217996e8-8c8b-4959-8448-7b06954f2090">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not : The way I see it is this. I concur with PPs that a trained person with a CCP probably wouldn't have fired at the shooter in a dark theater.  HOWEVER.  If I'm in a public place, and a jackhole walks in and starts opening fire on everyone, the first thing I'm going to do is duck for fucking cover.  The second thing?  Pray to God that SOMEONE has a gun to fire at this fukcer.  I think if you've got a CCP, you are hopefully trained enough to nail the guy right in the leg and be able to take the guy down without killing him.  You want to know why I hope someone's got a concealed weapon?  Because while I do trust the cops to show up, it's going to take time for them to get there.  Whether it's one minute, or ten minutes or whatever - it takes time for the proper authorities to show up.  In the meantime, if no one is there who can take the guy down, we are all at his mercy.  And normally, nutters don't have mercy.  Only blatant disregard for life as is evidenced in their actions of peppering people with bullets. I don't have any interest in having guns or a CCP for myself, but the thing about CCP - if they are doing it right, no one will ever know they have a weapon on them.  A weapon, concealed and properly safetied, will not harm anyone in the room. Guns DO make me nervous, but I have major respect for those weapons, and major respect for people who know their gun shiiit.

I can get behind this.  I do think there is a difference between allowing people to own and carry handguns and allowing people to own AK-47s.  Unless the zombie apocalypse or an all out civil war breaks out, you really don't need an AK-47 in your normal, everyday life.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    T&P's to them Habs. Fires are just terrible.
  • Options
    LizzieyounceLizzieyounce member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:f1678ba1-1684-49d1-8063-0ac224b90416">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a little late, but oh well. Hey Ldy, you're right, my H is a correction's officer. I tend to agree with you on the TV stuff morally. It's when my H and one other guy are manning the whole jail (50 ish inmates) by themselves that shiiit gets real. The entire system is flawed. It pisses me right the fuuuck off when I visit my H at work and see everybody watching the flat screen, playing ping pong, etc. But then I hear the story about how my H was alone with the attempted murderer that I remember why there are TVs. There are TVs because when my H walks through 20 inmates doing a security check, they aren't violent, they're distracted. So I guess for the moment I'm ok with how it works. If we could ever get jails staffed to a point where jailers could actually control inmates, then hell yes take away the TV. In my perfect world, jail/prison would be exactly like you described it.  Of course, you should remember that my H is a jailer at a county jail, NOT a prison. You really can't compare the two because prison is about a million times 'harder.' I don't know as much about what goes on in prisons, just what I know about our state pen. Jails in general tend to be much softer compared to prisons. Sorry that was so long.
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Jailers, whether state, local or federal, are waaaay underpaid IMO.  I've heard stories from my BFF (he's a LT and is in charge of the parish jail) that scare the beejebus out of me. These guys are way, way, way underpaid.

</div>
  • Options
    erin, is your H in a facility that is like the pre-sentence type facility or is it post-sentence/conviction?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:980b1fa2-ae97-493d-b50f-bdede49f13c4">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not : Have you seen the video of that Florida man, he's in his 70's, who took on two thugs in an internet cafe? One came in brandishing a gun, the other a baseball bat and they were both terrorizing the guy behind the desk. Grandpa, old man shorts, socks and all, fires at them.  They escaped, but were injured in the shooting and later arrested.  Grandpa has his CCL. . 
    I almost see that as vigilante justice. I mean, yes, it's great these assholes were stopped...but what gives anyone the right to shoot another person, EVER?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:67447ade-93af-4026-a7b6-30f5af0fb320">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not : I can get behind this.  I do think there is a difference between allowing people to own and carry handguns and allowing people to own AK-47s.  Unless the zombie apocalypse or an all out civil war breaks out, you really don't need an AK-47 in your normal, everyday life.
    Posted by calixtine[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I disagree. If a person has no criminal history and can pass a federal background check, then if they want to have an AK, they should have one. I support the 2nd amendment. 

</div><div>
    </div><div>Besides, if a criminal wants a weapon, he will get one. Laws be damned. The black market is quite active in this area.</div>
  • Options
    T&P's for Habs friends.

Somehow it does not bother me about TV's in prison.    Maybe because not everyone in prison is in there because of murder?  No 2 crimes are the same as far as circumstances?  For every Holmes type prisoner there are other  prisoners with less serious offenses.  IDK,  it's just not something I really care about.

That said, I don't think they should get the  premium movie channels or anything like that.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

threadjack/
    Leisel, your wedding photos are simply AMAZING!

/endthreadjack

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:e68ec3d1-6902-4d0a-839f-eaad3ea033e9">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not : I almost see that as vigilante justice. I mean, yes, it's great these assholes were stopped...but what gives anyone the right to shoot another person, EVER?
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

Well self defense or defense of others is kind of the point of CC laws. I mean, police would do the same thing in that situation and that is the reasoning behind having CC permits for people qualified to have them.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:8694ca8c-f27c-40ec-9788-064e1a9c93e2">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not : I disagree. If a person has no criminal history and can pass a federal background check, then if they want to have an AK, they should have one. I support the 2nd amendment.  <strong>Besides, if a criminal wants a weapon, he will get one. Laws be damned. The black market is quite active in this area.
    </strong>Posted by Lizzieyounce[/QUOTE]

I would agree with this; I've made the same argument about why I think drugs should be legalized.  If there is a demand for an item, there will be a market for it whether it is legal or otherwise. 

I just struggle with the idea that a weapon that can do so much damage is just out there for any person to purchase.  But you are right, even if it was illegal, that doesn't mean a person couldn't get it by other means.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:e68ec3d1-6902-4d0a-839f-eaad3ea033e9">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not : I almost see that as vigilante justice. I mean, yes, it's great these assholes were stopped...but what gives anyone the right to shoot another person, EVER?

Um, if someone is shooting at me and threatening my life?  Yes.  I have the right to fucking shoot him.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:e68ec3d1-6902-4d0a-839f-eaad3ea033e9">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:

<div>It's shooting someone who seems likely to do harm to someone else.  if I'm ever brandishing a gun in public without clearly being in fear for my life and using it to protect myself then I fully expect that I would likely get shot or tackled.  </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:37f8b415-9041-4f0f-a5e8-5b5397edfebf">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not : I would agree with this; I've made the same argument about why I think drugs should be legalized.  If there is a demand for an item, there will be a market for it whether it is legal or otherwise.<strong>  I just struggle with the idea that a weapon that can do so much damage is just out there for any person to purchase. </strong> But you are right, even if it was illegal, that doesn't mean a person couldn't get it by other means.
    Posted by calixtine[/QUOTE]

Except that isn't true. You can't just go to a shop and purchase a gun if you have the cash for it. There is a pretty stringent process you have to go to for applying to have the permit to even PURCHASE the gun. At least here in MN anyway.
  • Options

<div>
    </div><div>Yes. This guy was and is trained. He didn't shoot at the innocent bystanders, his aim never waivered. One of the criminals was armed with a gun, everyone else was ducking. The way I see it, vigilante justice is hunting down and killing someone way after the fact, for revenge.  Grandpa was preventing a crime and possible death at the hands of thugs. </div><div>
    </div><div>If someone where breaking into my house, I shoot first ask questions later. I'm not going to question his motives, I'm going to assume that he's there to kill me or mine. If someone is trying to jack my car with me in it, you bet I'll shoot him where he stands...if I can.  If I stumble accross someone harming another, and I can stop it, then I will. </div><div>
    </div><div>I've followed drunk drivers while on the phone with 911, until told to stand down because the cops got there.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:8b61ffbc-c034-470a-a2a5-05f31d452389">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not : Except that isn't true. You can't just go to a shop and purchase a gun if you have the cash for it. There is a pretty stringent process you have to go to for applying to have the permit to even PURCHASE the gun. At least here in MN anyway.
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>TX too, believe it or not. Pretty much everywhere. Even if you go online to buy. There is a check done.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wfl-opinions-unpop-or-not-irritations-irrational-or-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:18c8bb11-ca6b-405f-ad82-0eba77530d76Post:8b61ffbc-c034-470a-a2a5-05f31d452389">Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WFL? Opinions - Unpop or Not, Irritations - Irrational or Not : Except that isn't true. You can't just go to a shop and purchase a gun if you have the cash for it. There is a pretty stringent process you have to go to for applying to have the permit to even PURCHASE the gun. At least here in MN anyway.
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, that definitely varies by state.  Many are much more lenient.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Personally I think there should be a nationwide mandatory database for gun purchases.  When you purchase one anywhere it should be registered into this system.  Then there would be alerts for suspicious activity.  Like the Batman guy who bought 3 assault rifles in a short time.  If it was in a national database it would probably throw up some red flags and authorities could look into it.  </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards