Wedding Etiquette Forum

Talk to me people...Night Thread

Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:1730bc35-7580-4c25-aedd-7422ac0c746b">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone ever made quinoa and had it taste good?
    Posted by mjmchugh86[/QUOTE]

Yes. Cook it in chicken stock instead of water.

It is also good as a salad. Add veggies/cheese/nuts and lemon juice and olive oil.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:476c0e50-0565-483a-b01e-355282c316a2">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : So, starry, would you rather your child be hit by a car, after talking to them about how dangerous it is, time outs, etc, don't work? Would you rather that natural consequence just happen? 
    Posted by seesawgirl[/QUOTE]

I would rather you do a better job of supervising your child.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Until I was in HS we only had one TV and the antenna only got 3, 5, and 8 from either Milwaukee or Green Bay depending on which way it was turned.  And even after we moved to somewhere with cable possibilities I was busy swimming most evenings.  My brothers' also outvoted me.  I had a very sheltered TV existance until about my junior year of college (didn't even have a TV the first two years).
  • LeiselEBLeiselEB member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Alright, guys, I'm off to complete my last minute wedding tasks. 

Have a good one!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:2e3ff525-6e1d-41e0-9b5d-5cdb512e4725">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : Example. I think she always left it too long in back. It got mullet-y.
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah I for sure keep the back of my head short and tight. No mullets for this girl. If I can grab a bit of the back I usually get a trim.

I missed the Michelle Williams one until now. I like the cut on her, but I don't know if it would work on me. She has more of a heartshaped face.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:5c00dc99-61ab-4a6d-ad61-77222dad41b8">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : Apparently you haven't met J&K.
    Posted by PetalPockets2012[/QUOTE]

I EFFING LOVE QUINOA.

Rinse it really well.  Cook it in stock with garlic.  Or lemon.  Or other things, depending on what you want to do with it.  My favorite is to mix it with halved grape tomatoes, diced cucumber, feta cheese, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and lemon.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:1730bc35-7580-4c25-aedd-7422ac0c746b">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone ever made quinoa and had it taste good?

Yes. Cook it with broth instead of water and add seasoning. When I reheat leftovers I mix it with some minced red onions and an italian dressing. I turn my oven on to 400 degrees with my pizza stone and spread a layer of it on the stone. Cook for about 10 mintues. It makes it kind of crispy and adds another texture to it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:476c0e50-0565-483a-b01e-355282c316a2">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : So, starry, would you rather your child be hit by a car, after talking to them about how dangerous it is, time outs, etc, don't work? Would you rather that natural consequence just happen? 

What about kids with special needs that wouldn't understand the spanking? I can guarantee you that you can't spank the autism out of the kids? They still might be runners. Knowing your child will help you protect your child.

Like J said, if you know they tend to run out into traffic, supervise them more closely.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:32531132-8cea-484b-8461-cc72da881948">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : Wait, elaborate please. Why don't socks belong in bed? I'm curious.
    Posted by starrynight84[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't know. They just give me the heebie jeebies if someone is wearing them in bed. I have to take them off before going to sleep so I can properly wiggle my toes. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:a77860ca-f69b-4a3d-b5b9-ba8b550191e8">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I feel like if your kid is continually running into traffic, you should probably supervise him or her a little bit better, no?</strong> I mean, I know that stuff still happens, and you can watch them every second, but that should make it a once in a blue moon thing, not an over and over thing.  If it's an over and over thing, you need to take a look at what you, the parent, are doing wrong.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Most definitely. But you're right, you can't watch them every second. If you have more than once child, it gets harder and harder to watch them every single minute.

All of that being said though. I don't think I will be spanking my children, if I can at all help it. I think that with my history of abuse, that it would be opening a door to bigger problems. I plan on doing time outs, with lots of positive reinforcement for good behavior. I was always way more motivated by knowing that I had something awesome to look forward to, than being worried that something bad would happen.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:9017ae3c-2540-476b-864d-7973f038b509">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : I would rather you do a better job of supervising your child.

<div>Yes, this.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:1f37944f-3e46-44ab-a264-375f81b9d1a4">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Alright, guys, I'm off to complete my last minute wedding tasks.  Have a good one!
    Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]

If I don't see you before then have a super totally awesome day!!
  • Thanks J&K and Rupe - will try for next time.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re:Talk to me people...Night Thread:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread:UGH. You don't need to HAVE kids to have a belief system on how o raise them.Posted by crfischeThat's funny you say that because a lot of people with kids will point out that people without kids, "just don't know until they have some of their own." Posted by mkrupar[/QUOTE]

I do have kids, 2 girls 2 and 8 and they are the most well behaved kids I know. I do spank them, BUT, I can count on one hand how many times. I don't believe it is appropriate regularly, but IMO there are certain instances where it is necessary.

With that being said I don't think u have to be a parent to weigh in, everyone is entitled to their opinions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:95dcd4ed-b14e-41ad-9bb5-054c64408c84">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : What about kids with special needs that wouldn't understand the spanking? <strong>I can guarantee you that you can't spank the autism out of the kids?</strong> They still might be runners. Knowing your child will help you protect your child. Like J said, if you know they tend to run out into traffic, supervise them more closely.

I'm awful, because this made me seriously laugh out loud.   And then I got sad, because guarantee that many people have tried :(

• And I'm off to bed too. Good night all!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:95dcd4ed-b14e-41ad-9bb5-054c64408c84">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : What about kids with special needs that wouldn't understand the spanking? I can guarantee you that you can't spank the autism out of the kids? They still might be runners. Knowing your child will help you protect your child. Like J said, if you know they tend to run out into traffic, supervise them more closely.

For kids with autism the spanking may be the reason why they are running into traffic. I have worked with plenty of kids who love some physical restraint/yelling/chasing.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:860d5a7c-2191-4076-af6b-d06c48ae2b51">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : Most definitely. But you're right, you can't watch them every second. <strong>If you have more than once child, it gets harder and harder to watch them every single minute.</strong> All of that being said though. I don't think I will be spanking my children, if I can at all help it. I think that with my history of abuse, that it would be opening a door to bigger problems. I plan on doing time outs, with lots of positive reinforcement for good behavior. I was always way more motivated by knowing that I had something awesome to look forward to, than being worried that something bad would happen.

This is my opinion, but if you haven't figured out how to raise your first kid without spanking them, you probably shouldn't have more.  Or, if you haven't figured out how to properly supervise them, even.  (Again, I know you can't watch them every second.  I know that shiiit happens.  But if it's enough of a problem that the ONLY way to solve it is spanking?  You probably did something wrong somewhere along the lines, or your child has special needs, and you need a new approach and some help.)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:95dcd4ed-b14e-41ad-9bb5-054c64408c84">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : What about kids with special needs that wouldn't understand the spanking? I can guarantee you that you can't spank the autism out of the kids? They still might be runners. Knowing your child will help you protect your child. Like J said, if you know they tend to run out into traffic, supervise them more closely.

If you go back and read my original post, you'll see that I said that SOME kids respond to being spanked. Obviously you don't spank kids with learning disabilities.

How do you all feel about the little backpacks with leashes on them?
  • Hey y'all. You stink. Making me eat sushi and stuff.

I'm a proponent of spanking. I would spank my kids if I had any, and I think more people should spank their kids. /UO

Not to fear, anti-spankers, there are no children available for me to spank. This is all just hypothetical.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:bb1ee80c-1b7f-4606-9b13-bc9e7cf8fc35">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : I'm awful, because this made me seriously laugh out loud.   And then I got sad, because guarantee that many people have tried :(

I feel bad because some of our parents don't understand their child's diagnosis and don't understand why the kid doesn't do certain things or behave. It's hard to explain to people who have never heard of it, what it is.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Evening all, very late to the party.  How is everyone?  Just started but I will catch up quickly, cocktails that is, cocktails.

• Damn you Daff.  I haven't had sushi in a while.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:f2068bd3-0b67-4839-b4c3-236694521ea3">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread : For kids with autism the spanking may be the reason why they are running into traffic. I have worked with plenty of kids who love some physical restraint/yelling/chasing.

Yep, yep, yep.
  • I had to get my sush on. Especially after last night's shenanigans.
  • Daff did you see the white krumper girl? BADASS.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_talk-to-me-peoplenight-thread?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:89565b5a-8bd7-4ed2-a8b4-fe55e4279d89Post:f998cf74-34bd-4767-9ce6-90f44139f9d7">Re: Talk to me people...Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey y'all. You stink. Making me eat sushi and stuff. I'm a proponent of spanking. I would spank my kids if I had any, and I think more people should spank their kids. /UO <strong>Not to fear, anti-spankers, there are no children available for me to spank. This is all just</strong> hypothetical.
    Posted by daffodil_jill[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh. Aloud.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm going to go to bed and probably dream about sushi.  Night all!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Sushi sounds delicious. So does Thai.
  • evening ladies.  I need to go make a trifle for work tomorrow.  I rally don't feel like it.  I should have just bought something like everyone else.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards