Chit Chat
Options

You know you're from....

Re: You know you're from....

• Options
    @misshart00 - I was living around Chicago when sirens started going off. I totally freaked out and went and sat in the bathtub. Everyone was totally calm  (aside from laughing at me) and asked why the bath tub? I said "because it seemed like the safest place to be when you have no basement!" I was shocked that the sirens didn't make them do anything.

So, do you have sirens?
    Have you actually seen a twister?

Regarding Sonic, we don't have them but the Griswolds go to one in Vacation and I've always wanted to go as a result. I chose to go to one instead of a nice dinner when I was on vacation in NM because I was so excited to see one like in the movie. Biggest disappointment ever. Actually, White Castle also was a let down.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    @buddysmom80

We had Caldor and Bradlees. Is it sad that I live in NH and work for a CT company, and the only time I go to CT is for meetings at said company around New Haven....and the one time I went to foxwoods and the one time (this year) that I went to Mohegan?

@alliebear725 what is "fixinto"?
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    MuppetFan said:

@misshart00 - I was living around Chicago when sirens started going off. I totally freaked out and went and sat in the bathtub. Everyone was totally calm  (aside from laughing at me) and asked why the bath tub? I said "because it seemed like the safest place to be when you have no basement!" I was shocked that the sirens didn't make them do anything.

So, do you have sirens?
    Have you actually seen a twister?

Regarding Sonic, we don't have them but the Griswolds go to one in Vacation and I've always wanted to go as a result. I chose to go to one instead of a nice dinner when I was on vacation in NM because I was so excited to see one like in the movie. Biggest disappointment ever. Actually, White Castle also was a let down.

We do have sirens. I hear them from my house every week and some lately with the storms (we're supposed to be getting severe weather this weekend; yay).

Also, basements are actually not very common in Oklahoma because our soil can't handle it, so bathtubs and laundry rooms are our go-to.

I have seen several tornados. One was in my rear view mirror on my way home from work once. It freaked me out a little. And the place I worked at the time got the doors sucked out of it (but I wasn't there at the time).

Sonic is awesome! We have one just down the street, and since I've been pregnant, we go after 8 and get a half price shake almost every day.
  • Options

MuppetFan said:
    @buddysmom80

We had Caldor and Bradlees. Is it sad that I live in NH and work for a CT company, and the only time I go to CT is for meetings at said company around New Haven....and the one time I went to foxwoods and the one time (this year) that I went to Mohegan?

@alliebear725 what is "fixinto"?
    It's "fixing to" or I guess "about to" 

"I'm fixinto go to the store"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    These badges are odd. I just received a name dropper badge, lol. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Milwaukee/Wisconsin things:

- Pronouncing our state "WisGonsin", not "WisConsin" - that's how you identify if someone's from out of state or not
    - Bubblers, obviously
    - White soda
    - You prefer frozen custard to ice cream
    - You can pronounce Oconomowoc, Waukesha, Wauwatosa, Menomonee (Falls), etc.
    - Fish fry isn't just a lent thing
    - You crave cream puffs
  • Options
    "Bang a U-ey"
    I just LOL'd. I said that when I was living in CA and my ex bf looked at me like he was frightened of me!

Also, no one things U-eys are legal. Why is that?? They're legal unless otherwise posted. My fiance will drive an extra mile or two just so he doesn't do one.
    image   imageimage

• Options
    @zoberg I have never had a cream puff. Though I've seen them in the freezer section before.
    image   imageimage

• Options
    You know you're from Colorado when...

You eat ice cream in the winter

When the weather report says it’s going to be 55 degrees, you wear shorts

It snows 10 inches and you don’t expect school to be cancelled

You wear flip flops every day of the year, regardless of the temperature

You have no accent at all, but can hear other people’s

“Humid” is any reading over 25%

Directions to anywhere include “toward the mountains” and “away from the mountains”

You think that May is a normal month for a blizzard

You buy your flowers on Mother’s Day, but hold off planting them until just before Father’s Day

You know what the Continental Divide is

You’ve gone off-roading in a vehicle that was never intended for such activities

You always know the elevation of where you are

You wake up to a beautiful, 80 degree day and you wonder if it’s going to snow tomorrow

You know that South Park is actually a real place, not just a show on TV

You know what a “trust fund hippy” is, and you know its natural habitat is Boulder

You know you’re talking to a fellow Coloradoan when they call it Elitches, not Six Flags

When people out East tell you they have mountains in their state too, you just chuckle

You go anywhere else on the planet and the air feels “sticky” and you notice the sky is no longer blue

98% of Americans scream before going in the ditch on an icy road. The other 2% are from Colorado and they say, “Hold my coffee and watch this.”

The toward the mountains and away from the mountains directions thing is so so true. I get so so lost without mountains to discern where I am driving to.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @christinad18 LOL, Texas and ice don't mix. We shut down all major freeways and salt them when there's supposed to be ice. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So, @christinad18 basically, Colorodo is like NH, except that our mountains are really hills, we're at sea level and You know what the Continental Divide is (I sure don't).

I know what Ellitches is because my friend is from Aurora.
    image   imageimage

• Options
    @muppetfan our dairy queens stay open all year though. Lol. The Continental Divide is basically a place in the mountains where the snow melts either toward the Pacific Ocean or the Atlantic. So some of the water near you came from Colorado!
    I live in Aurora too!!

@alliebear725 yeah I did a stint in Texas. I remember school getting cancelled for rain. Now I'm driving to work in white out blizzard conditions and thinking "ugh learn to drive in the snow already!" LOL

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Hehee I drive my H crazy because I'm fascinated with regional words/phrases/pronunciations. I grew up in South Jersey (right outside of Philly) and moved to Central PA 2 years ago, so I have a new one for him just about every day.

Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yay I love this topic! This is off the top of my head from one's I've seen...

You know you're from Jersey when...

- You know what Taylor Ham is and can not imagine life without it

- You go "down the shore" not "to the beach"

- You have often eaten a hard roll with butter for breakfast

- You know the only people who call it "Joisey" are from New York

- You know how to successfully navigate a circle and what a "jughandle" is

- You don't think the question, "You're from Jersey? What exit are you!?!" is all that funny

- Every year you had at least one kid in your class named Tony

- You have never, ever pumped your own gas (side note, I have a mini panic attack when I have to do this. I do not know the procedure).

• Options
    krizzo17 said:

Hehee I drive my H crazy because I'm fascinated with regional words/phrases/pronunciations. I grew up in South Jersey (right outside of Philly) and moved to Central PA 2 years ago, so I have a new one for him just about every day.

Miami is probably our big one here. It's pronounced My-am-uh. We laugh at people who pronounce it like Florida does.
  • Options
    You know you're from Colorado when... You eat ice cream in the winter When the weather report says it’s going to be 55 degrees, you wear shorts It snows 10 inches and you don’t expect school to be cancelled You wear flip flops every day of the year, regardless of the temperature You have no accent at all, but can hear other people’s “Humid” is any reading over 25% Directions to anywhere include “toward the mountains” and “away from the mountains” You think that May is a normal month for a blizzard You buy your flowers on Mother’s Day, but hold off planting them until just before Father’s Day You know what the Continental Divide is You’ve gone off-roading in a vehicle that was never intended for such activities You always know the elevation of where you are You wake up to a beautiful, 80 degree day and you wonder if it’s going to snow tomorrow You know that South Park is actually a real place, not just a show on TV You know what a “trust fund hippy” is, and you know its natural habitat is Boulder You know you’re talking to a fellow Coloradoan when they call it Elitches, not Six Flags When people out East tell you they have mountains in their state too, you just chuckle You go anywhere else on the planet and the air feels “sticky” and you notice the sky is no longer blue 98% of Americans scream before going in the ditch on an icy road. The other 2% are from Colorado and they say, “Hold my coffee and watch this.” The toward the mountains and away from the mountains directions thing is so so true. I get so so lost without mountains to discern where I am driving to.
    The bolded made me lol. @Muppetfan, isn't that true for NH too?
  • Options
    You know you're from Colorado when... You eat ice cream in the winter When the weather report says it’s going to be 55 degrees, you wear shorts It snows 10 inches and you don’t expect school to be cancelled You wear flip flops every day of the year, regardless of the temperature You have no accent at all, but can hear other people’s “Humid” is any reading over 25% Directions to anywhere include “toward the mountains” and “away from the mountains” You think that May is a normal month for a blizzard You buy your flowers on Mother’s Day, but hold off planting them until just before Father’s Day You know what the Continental Divide is You’ve gone off-roading in a vehicle that was never intended for such activities You always know the elevation of where you are You wake up to a beautiful, 80 degree day and you wonder if it’s going to snow tomorrow You know that South Park is actually a real place, not just a show on TV You know what a “trust fund hippy” is, and you know its natural habitat is Boulder You know you’re talking to a fellow Coloradoan when they call it Elitches, not Six Flags When people out East tell you they have mountains in their state too, you just chuckle You go anywhere else on the planet and the air feels “sticky” and you notice the sky is no longer blue 98% of Americans scream before going in the ditch on an icy road. The other 2% are from Colorado and they say, “Hold my coffee and watch this.” The toward the mountains and away from the mountains directions thing is so so true. I get so so lost without mountains to discern where I am driving to.
    The bolded made me lol. @Muppetfan, isn't that true for NH too?
  • Options
    We can't try to be famous for something else; it has to be whoopie pies. Which I also thought we're a central Pa thing. And which I've never eaten.

Also, every Halloween costume I have ever had, including my Ariel the Little Mermaid costume from 1991, was designed to be worn over a snowsuit.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I didn't think we had warning sirens either, until last Saturday. I was in the drug store when the siren went off. Everyone ran outside to see what was happening.Turns out they were just testing the system. 

Whenever there's a tornado warning on TV, I head outside to see if there's anything to see : ) 

By the way, I'm from CT and also MA. I wish  @KnotIrene, @KnotJackie, @KnotPortia would put our locations under our screen names.

• Options
    I'm from near Penn State and my whole family are HUGE PSU fans. My aunt (my dad's only sister) married an Ohio State fan and I, his only daughter, am marrying a Michigan fan. He's come to terms with it, but it took some adjusting.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    @salsera29 I did date a guy from the east coast once who flipped out when he hit some ice. I think he was from like Vermont or something. I don't know. It was a long time ago and I used to date a lot of military guys. Lol

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited May 2013
    daria24 said:
    I'm from PA and apparently there was a friggin war last year over whether PA or NE created the whoopie pie. I always thought they were a Central PA thing.

My cousin and my mom got into an arguement about this a couple of years ago. My mom is from PA and she even sided that the whoopie pie is a New England creation.

I looked up some "you know you're from Connecticut" these are pretty accurate:
    1) You shopped at either Caldor or Bradlee's. Yes, both were in the town I grew up in.
    2) You prayed to God that Dr. Mel's snow accumulation was right and school will be closed the next day. RIP Dr. Mel!
    3) You understand how extremly important taking the highway vs. taking the merritt is. 4
    4) Mrs. Vince McMahon was almost your governor
    5) You were sad about the Whalers leaving
    6) You still brag about Louis' Lunch
    7) You've come to blows arguing about which pizza is better in New Haven Pepe's or Sally's (duh, Sally's is! Frank Pepe's pizza are a bunch of sell-outs now!)
    8) Half of your high school went to UConn
    9) You've been offered crack if you've lived in one of Connecticut's 3 major towns (my bf grew up in New Haven and was offered crack AND sexual services from a hooker when he was like 13. Real nice city)
    10) You knew about Mianus before Jackass was there.

There's a ton, but these were my favorite.

- @buddysmom80
    -Abate's all the way!!!! Their sliced tomato pizza is unreal.
    - If you've been offered crack, then mugged, you know you're in New Haven, probably Newhallville.

Also "you know you're from CT when:"

You realize just how awesome foxon park soda is.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    tlc35tlc35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    These are fun:
    In New Orleans you can buy liquor in the grocery store or gas station and we have drive thru daquiri stands.
    Every holiday is an excuse for parades and costumes
    Ditto to the wondering about a white christmas
    Mardi Gras is the biggest holiday of the year
    We don't have whoopie pies but we have moon pies
  • Options

There is a Sonic in Saugus, MA I believe. That's the only one as far as I know in my state.

@MuppetFan don't forget about Ames!

Anniversary
  • Options
    @salsera29 Well, *I* would scream if I was going into a ditch on an icy road. But, you have freakazoids here thinking that because they have 4WD, they can still go 70 when it's below freezing or snowing. 4WD will help you get through it, it doesn't help you STOP.

I am dumbfounded that you've never pumped gas.

@misshart00 now I want to hear your voice. I think the closest Ive ever come to meeting someone from Oklahoma was when reading Grapes of Wrath like 15 years ago. Oh wait, oh wait, there was a girl named Nicole that briefly moved here and was in my 2nd grade class. Do you know Nicole? 

I get that a lot. If someone hears I'm from NH, they say, "oh do you know such and such person???"  and....oh well actually, I often do at least know "of" them. My friends from Maine know everyone in Maine. I'm convinced.

image   imageimage

• Options
    @MuppetFan Of course I know Nicole. We all know each other around here. And I don't think I sound too much like a hick. The Miami Oklahoma thing is just how it's pronounced. I say the Florida one the same way the rest of the world does.
  • Options
    My aunt got a ticket for jaywalking in Boston once.  True story!

FI is pissed that he had to move to MA from CT.  He says none of us can drive.  I beg to differ...
  • Options

@Jessalyn2013 and @MuppetFan - the Sonic on Rte 1 is actually in Peabody.  We have friends who live in Saugus and we regularly stop there on our way home because it's such a treat.

Now back to reading.

• Options

You know when you are from Washington when:

1. You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Enumclaw and Issaquah.
    2. You consider swimming an indoor sport.
    3. You keep snow chains in your trunk but they've never been used.
    4. You see a person carrying an umbrella and know they must be a tourist.
    5. Eating seafood isn't anything special.
    6. Your lawn is mostly moss and you don't really care.
    7. Your daily commute to work involves riding a ferry.
    8. You know the difference between "showers followed by rain" and "rain followed by showers".
    9. The sight of Mt. Rainier is still awe inspiring.
    10. You're extremely picky about your coffee.
    11. You yell at the TV if they pronounce the name of a city wrong or make an inaccurate Seattle reference on "Frasier".
    12. You rarely wash your car because it's just going to get muddy again tomorrow.
    13. You wouldn't dream of putting an air conditioner in your house.
    14. You go to Eastern Washington to get some sun.
    15. You can drive from your home to a lake, a river or the Puget Sound in 20 minutes or less.
    16. You've seen or know someone who has seen Bigfoot.
    17. You remember where you were on May 18th, 1980.
    18. You get a terrible sunburn on the first really nice day of summer.
    19. You look forward to SeaFair and all its related activities.
    20. You take a heavy coat and a hat with you for a day at the beach.
    21. You have learned to assume Christmas will be rainy, not white.
    22. You've owned the same bathing suit for years because you never have a chance to wear it out.
    23. You still can't believe the new Seahawks stadium is open air.
    24. Your phone book contains a tide table.
    25. You only visit the Space Needle if you need someplace to take out of town guests.
    26. You or someone you know works at Boeing or Microsoft.
    27. You "Do The Puyallup" every year.
    28. You feel guilty throwing something away that could be recycled.
    29. You use the word "sunbreak" and know what it means.
    30. You know more than 10 ways to order coffee.
    31. You know more people who own boats than air conditioners.
    32. You know the difference between Chinook, Coho and Sockeye salmon.
    33. You never go camping without water proof matches and a poncho.
    34. You have no concept of humidity without precipitation.
    35. You can point to at least 2 volcanoes even if you can't actually see them through the cloud cover.
    36. You wear shorts when the temperature gets above 50 but still wear your hiking boots and parka.
    37. You switch to your sandals at about 60 degrees but keep your socks on.
    38. You have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain.
    39. You buy new sunglasses every year because you've lost last years pair after such a long time not needing them.
    40. You measure distance in hours.

there ar more, but i didnt want to bore you ladies! link : http://olywa.net/radu/valerie/washington.html

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards