Chit Chat
Options

You know you're from....

Re: You know you're from....

• Options
    Salsera29 said:
    Yay I love this topic! This is off the top of my head from one's I've seen...

You know you're from Jersey when...

- You know what Taylor Ham is and can not imagine life without it

- You go "down the shore" not "to the beach"

- You have often eaten a hard roll with butter for breakfast

- You know the only people who call it "Joisey" are from New York

- You know how to successfully navigate a circle and what a "jughandle" is

- You don't think the question, "You're from Jersey? What exit are you!?!" is all that funny

- Every year you had at least one kid in your class named Tony

- You have never, ever pumped your own gas (side note, I have a mini panic attack when I have to do this. I do not know the procedure).

My parents/extended family are all from/still in Jersey.  All of this made perfect sense to me.

If you're from Boston's North Shore - then it's all about the roast beef sandwiches, especially Kelly's.  I haven't figured that one out yet.

• Options

We don't call it "taylor ham" where I'm from, we call it "pork roll", but I know that's a big debate in Jersey (I think I usually associate taylor ham with North Jersey/the Shore)

Now that I live in Central PA, I'm fascinated with their use of the words "a while". It seems you can add them on to the end of any sentence. Particularly, if you go to a restaurant, without fail, the waitress will say "What can I get you to drink a while?"

Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    krizzo17 said:

We don't call it "taylor ham" where I'm from, we call it "pork roll", but I know that's a big debate in Jersey (I think I usually associate taylor ham with North Jersey/the Shore)

Now that I live in Central PA, I'm fascinated with their use of the words "a while". It seems you can add them on to the end of any sentence. Particularly, if you go to a restaurant, without fail, the waitress will say "What can I get you to drink a while?"

Is that what she meant?  I love the stuff and bring boxes of it home with me every time I visit my mom.  Can't get it up here, though I have heard that you can mail order it from Taylor.

• Options
    kjhowd said:

@Jessalyn2013 and @MuppetFan - the Sonic on Rte 1 is actually in Peabody.  We have friends who live in Saugus and we regularly stop there on our way home because it's such a treat.

Now back to reading.

You know you're from MA when you pronounce it 'Peeba dee.' With 1st accent on the 'Pee' second accent on the 'dee.'

• Options

Yes ma'am @MairePoppy.  I always tell folks it's pronounced as if it was spelled with just the letters pbd.

We also have Glawsta (Gloucester), Quinzy (Quincy) and Haver(h)ill (you don't pronounce the H in hill) and Meffa (Medford).  And everything is "wicked pissa".

• Options
    zoberg said:
    I just had lunch, and these would be such a perfect addition, lol. YUM!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@salsera29: agree with all of that being from North Jersey.  Also, I've noticed that NJ people call highways/freeways "route 80" and "route 46" , etc while in CA you say "The 10" or "The 5".  It's really funny because without even realizing it, I automatically switch back to saying it the Jersey way when I'm in Jersey and the CA way when I'm in CA.  And living in the LA area, I definitely measure distance in terms of time since there's ALWAYS traffic.  So 5 miles may seem close but it could take you 45 minutes to get there.

I'd say that you know you're from CA when you don't consider In n' Out to be fast food.

• Options
    I miss In n' Out
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    MuppetFan said:
    I miss In n' Out

Hate to say it ladies but In N Out, not better than Dick's Drive In. Come to Seattle and have Dick's, its a must :D
    Anniversary
  • Options
    MuppetFan said:
    I miss In n' Out
    Yeah, I don't know why it's so good, but it just is.  Every time my sister visits me we have to go immediately.
  • Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013

kjhowd said:

Yes ma'am @MairePoppy.  I always tell folks it's pronounced as if it was spelled with just the letters pbd.

We also have Glawsta (Gloucester), Quinzy (Quincy) and Haver(h)ill (you don't pronounce the H in hill) and Meffa (Medford).  And everything is "wicked pissa".

There is an episode of The West Wing where one of the characters references Haverhill and pronouces it Haver Hill. It drives me nuts. It took me a while to get the pronouncation of Worchester right.
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013

Well I am from the Baltimore (Bawlmer to us folks), MD area here are a few of our ism's...

1) You add the word "hon" to pretty much every sentence

2) You pronounce water, wooter and wash, warsh

3) When at a baseball game or football game or pretty much anytime the national anthem is played you yell "O" when it gets to the part "Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave"

4) You go "downy oschon, Hon" for your summer vacation

5) Old Bay is a must for every household

6) You pronounce your state Marilyn instead of Maryland

7) You know how to say the city of Towson correctly (it is Towel-son not Toe-son)

8) You nod in agreement at just how real the TV show "The Wire" really was

9) When you hear the name Ray Lewis you think "living legend and best defensive linebacker ever!" and not "criminal"

10) You get really snobby/kind of b*tchy on the subject of crabs.

• Options
    Now I have a hankering for cream puffs.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I like in and out, but I prefer whataburger. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

kjhowd said:

There is an episode of The West Wing where one of the characters references Haverhill and pronouces it Haver Hill. It drives me nuts. It took me a while to get the pronouncation of Worchester right.
    But there's no "h" in the spelling (or pronunciation) ;)

• Options
    kjhowd said:

kjhowd said:

I never understood where people thought the "h" came from.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ally91ally91 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary

What a WICKED awesome discussion!  I've heard these before!  It's quite awesome though that some of those don't even apply to VT though!  We call sprinkles "sprinkles", and we call water fountains that as well.  We no longer have a DQ, but when we did, it was totally closed during the winter!

Some for VT:

-We call soft-serve ice cream "creemees".  WAY more delicious-sounding

-You have to design your kids halloween costume to fit over a snow suit

-Your 4th of July picnic was moved indoors due to frost

-Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his new shed

-"Down South" means Connecticut

-We call Interstates "Interstates".  Not highways, as a lot of other places do.

-Sugar on snow is a delicacy up here

-Our autumn leaves are better than yours.

Oh this is fun!

YES!

Also: You have to drive an hour to get anywhere, and completely out of state to get to Target.

You say "Sorry, driving through the mountains" in almost every phone call

You call Floridians "flatlannders"

You can't stand "leaf-peepers" (I have to get to work people!)

You love creemees. (seconding Witty-kitty on this just because they're THAT awesome.)

Soon-to-be Mrs. Kent
  • Options
    kjhowd said:

kjhowd said:

I never understood where people thought the "h" came from.

No idea. 

I will never forget the time I was in Savannah GA and a tour guide pronounced Quincy "Kinsy".  I was just dumbfounded.  I promptly corrected him (in a good natured way).

• Options
    ally91 said:

What a WICKED awesome discussion!  I've heard these before!  It's quite awesome though that some of those don't even apply to VT though!  We call sprinkles "sprinkles", and we call water fountains that as well.  We no longer have a DQ, but when we did, it was totally closed during the winter!

Some for VT:

Oh this is fun!

YES!

Also: You have to drive an hour to get anywhere, and completely out of state to get to Target.

You love creemees. (seconding Witty-kitty on this just because they're THAT awesome.)

I would like to kindly point out that your "mountains" hardly count as mountains. Come see the Rocky's or the Cascades for the real ones :D

(this is said with the utmost amount of love :D )

Anniversary
  • Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    Your
    kjhowd said:

kjhowd said:

Your right; I was focused on how I use to pronounce the name. It completely messed me up.
  • Options
    Your
    kjhowd said:

kjhowd said:

Your right; I was focused on how I use to pronounce the name. It completely messed me up.

No worries.  Just teasing a bit  :D

There is a chain of hotels called The Peabody and I have to be careful when talking to folks not from here that it is Pea Body not Peebudee (said really fast of course).

• Options
    I've also noticed that any city/town with "mouth" at the end, some people out of NE pronouce it as "mowth" rather than us who pronounce it "muth".(IE Portsmouth, Plymouth) Unless that's a Boston thing?
    Anniversary
  • Options

@Jessalyn2013 - not entirely a Boston/NE thing.  My family is from an area of NJ that has Monmouth and they've always pronounced it with the "muth" not "mowth". 

I think it might be an Northeast, Mid-Atlantic coast thing.

• Options
    ally91 said:

Some for VT:

Oh this is fun!

YES!

I would like to kindly point out that your "mountains" hardly count as mountains. Come see the Rocky's or the Cascades for the real ones :D

(this is said with the utmost amount of love :D )

You should see what us Texans call mountains, LOL. When I was a kid I thought our overpasses were mountains....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @stagemanager14 I can relate to some of those!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @moemacWed30594 You still need some work on that accent. It's 'Wuhstah'  (Worcester). I grew up there : )

kjhowd said:

• Options
    @stagemanager14 - I say catty-wumpus and people up here look at me strange when I do.

• Options
    @stagemanager14 I can relate to some of those!

Me too! Some of those were true for here too.
  • Options
    I'm still laughing at the mountains. Y'all have some, we def do not. I really thought overpasses were mountains until I was old enough to know any better, LOL. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    avolker1 said:

@salsera29: agree with all of that being from North Jersey.  Also, I've noticed that NJ people call highways/freeways "route 80" and "route 46" , etc while in CA you say "The 10" or "The 5".  It's really funny because without even realizing it, I automatically switch back to saying it the Jersey way when I'm in Jersey and the CA way when I'm in CA.  And living in the LA area, I definitely measure distance in terms of time since there's ALWAYS traffic.  So 5 miles may seem close but it could take you 45 minutes to get there.

I'd say that you know you're from CA when you don't consider In n' Out to be fast food.

lol, yes.  And I love when out of state people come to CA to visit and they are always excited to go to In & Out.

When we got Sonic it was way over-rated, but that's OK.  I love their shakes, that's about it.

Only other thing I have for CA is in Nor Cal we say "hella" and "hecka."  Only in Nor cal though--no idea why, but So Cal people will always call you out on it.  Who cares!?

CA directions entail taking THE 101 to THE 5, to THE etc.  I don't know why we say it, but it happens. 

I think its funny when restaurants have "New York Pizza" and people think its really like pizza in NY.  Nothing compares to actual slice of NY pizza!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards