Snarky Brides

Unpopular Opinions

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• Hahahaha! I grew up in Texas, and this thread reminded me of the thousands of times I had this conversation:
    Me: Want anything?
    Friend: Yeah a Coke.
    Me: What kind?
    Friend: Sprite.
    Me: 'K

My ex is Canadian, and the first time he said pop, I giggled for hours.
  • An unpopular opinion I'm sure.

People who live vicariously through their kids or just spoil them too much, every thing becomes an event, it starts early. Kindergarden graduations, 5ht grade/6th grade all day parties (like no one works), 8th grade high school level outfits and parties, highschool graduation parties where they give their kids liquor. Proms with multiple limos and dresses. And don't get me started on the weddings, I've seen so many parents go broke for their kids weddings, because they didn't have that at theirs.... Ok, I'm better now. Thanks

• @audreyecu61 I don't think that's an unpopular opinion... And I have children! :)

My turn... I HATE pink Floyd, the Beatles, and metallica.
    I despise the color pink and the fact that because I have a vagina I must love anything and everything pink and pretty.
    I also could do without flowers. Fl knows the way to my heart is food... More specifically pasta. And I can't stand the show dancing with the stars! Why our society is so obsessed with actors is beyond me. I think these people get paid way too much for doing practically nothing. Give teachers their salaries! They deserve it more IMO.

That's my rant
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    I hate:
    Coffee
    Beer
    Watermelon
    Carrots and carrot cake
    Cucumbers
    Really dry wine
    Reality TV
    Angelina Jolie
    Rap
    Hip-hop
    Country music
    Bras
    Girdles
    Handbags
    Strapless tops and dresses
    Spaghetti straps
  • I like carrots fine, but I agree that carrot cake is the devil. I mean it's cake. How did someone fuck that up so badly? However, I do like the cream cheese frosting.
  • @Jen4948 I second the dislike of strapless tops and dresses.  I find them so uncomfortable and they do NOT look good on me at all.  It was a little frustrating to go wedding dress shopping and have the helper pick strapless dresses and insist I try it on because "they can just put on straps in alterations".  The dress was MADE to be strapless.  Sort of like the whole "put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig" argument for me - the dresses still didn't appeal to me no matter how pretty they said the new straps would look. 

• I just want to say I think it's funny people have been posting in this thread for 2 weeks!  Hahaha!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013
    This thread is cracking me up with all the mayo hate.

I lurve mayo, but only in the proper amounts.  Our awesome sandwich shop here (Wawa for the cool kids in the crowd) offers "little bit of mayo," "mayo," and "extra mayo."  Without fail, I order "little bit of mayo" and get GLOBS.  It's gross.  C'mon.  But, when it truly is a little bit?  The flavor is excellent.  I would dip my fries in mayo in a hot second.

I hate hate HATE the way girls insist on taking photos now with a hand on their hip.  You don't look skinnier, you just look ridiculous and exactly. the. same in every photo.  My god, it's boring.  I don't look, I flip as fast as possible.  It's like a 6th grade photo where people just change the background.  ::yawn::
  • Joy2611 said:

I lurve mayo, but only in the proper amounts.  Our awesome sandwich shop here (Wawa for the cool kids in the crowd) offers "little bit of mayo," "mayo," and "extra mayo."  Without fail, I order "little bit of mayo" and get GLOBS.  It's gross.  C'mon.  But, when it truly is a little bit?  The flavor is excellent.  I would dip my fries in mayo in a hot second.

I hate hate HATE the way girls insist on taking photos now with a hand on their hip.  You don't look skinnier, you just look ridiculous and exactly. the. same in every photo.  My god, it's boring.  I don't look, I flip as fast as possible.
    Ergh. This. 

Also if I'm look at a picture of you and you're not somehow famous, then odds are that I know what you look like! Putting your hand on your hip is not you to make me think you're thinner, because I fucking know you.
    Yes.  What's weird is how they always thrust their hips sideways. 
  • Nobody in my region calls is "Pop".  We say "soda".  If people say pop around here, a lot of people are confused and have no idea what they're talking about.  I'm moving in August to an area that says pop, can't wait....

I think it's weird to call all soda/pop "coke".  To me, that makes NO sense, given that coke is a specific type of soda.  This would drive me absolutely up the wall.

• edited June 2013
    I know I'm a few days (or weeks!) late on this forum, but wanted to add my comments about pop and soda. I lived in the north (northwest and midwest) during my elementary and middle school years and then lived in the southeast during high school and college and NOW I live in the south west as an adult. So . .  I've lived in pretty much all areas of the US, except the northeast. 

We always said pop in the northern areas. We knew was "soda" meant (a carbonated drink), but never used that word. I never knew there was yet another way until we made our first move to the south, which happened to be Atlanta, which of course had the Coke Factory. So I quickly learned that you have to say "coke" for all sodas and that you definitely don't say soda or sodapop or pop. I was actually bullied in school for things like this.

Then we moved to Florida, and although it is in the south, it's not culturally like the other southeastern states. It's very multi-cultural and was the only place I really felt that I "fit" because it didn't really matter where you were from. However, nobody used the word pop unless they were a tourist from up north. On the other hand, nobody said coke either. The common word was soda.

I've also spent a few years in other countries and from what I've experienced, "soda" is more of an internationally accepted word. It might not be used everywhere, but people (even northern folk) know what it means. Pop and coke, however, are more regionally based.

That's my two-cents on the subject :)
  • I put my hands on my hips or fold them in photos, because I have long, skinny arms.  Drove my grandmother crazy for some reason.  "LADIES don't DO that," she sniped.

I hate the insistence on taking kids who aren't sick to the doctor every six months.   The nurse charged me sixty to weigh the stepdaughter, measure her, and tell me what "percentile" she was in for her age.  I'm sure some parents are thrilled to pay to hear that stupid shit, but I'm not one of them.   Told the doc I wasn't bringing her in again unless she was sick.  He protested because I wasn't a parent.  I said this wasn't the first child I had raised, though.  He said, "oh, well, okay, then." 

I love arguing the Bible with my fundie relatives.  They claim to have read the Bible cover-to-cover, but still insist that the story of Lucifer and Satan being the same person is true (doesn't say this anywhere in the Bible) and that the story of Lucifer being an archangel who rebelled against God and was thrown out of heaven and down into hell for it is true.  (Also  not in the Bible).  Pointing out that this entire story is fictional, and therefore their insistence that anything not in the Bible is "New Age" and "not of God" and "the road to hell" has a hole in it just gets them stirred up even more.  

Ooooh, interesting.

And I'm from southern California. When someone says, "I want some coke," we say, "ummmmm.... that shady guy on the corner might have some?"

Anniversary

• I love popcorn, but my girlfriend hates it unless it's covered in chocolate or caramel.
    *** This account is used by two people. Lila is bitchy and up late. Bonnie is sweet and helpful. Sorry if it confuses y'all. ***
  • @wittykitty14 Yet saying that you need a "Kleenex" is somehow perfectly acceptable as well, which annoys me.  Not all tissues are Kleenex . . . Kleenex is just a certain brand of tissues.  A brand that I don't actually use too often due to it being so darn expensive, so I go with the generic "tissues" and call them tissues.  My sister and I still banter about this - I'll ask for a tissue and she'll say "oh, you want a Kleenex?"  And then she'll hand me a  non-Kleenex tissue. 

I think when a certain thing, such as Coke or Kleenex, becomes really popular, it becomes synonymous with the type of thing it is, which I find infuriating at times. 

• Pop vs. Soda. 

I'm from central Illinois. We said soda. A few hours north, they said pop. 

I really wish someone would start a fresh unpop ops thread if they want to b/c I'm bored with this same old one popping up!

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • kerbohl said:
    @wittykitty14 Yet saying that you need a "Kleenex" is somehow perfectly acceptable as well, which annoys me.  Not all tissues are Kleenex . . . Kleenex is just a certain brand of tissues.  A brand that I don't actually use too often due to it being so darn expensive, so I go with the generic "tissues" and call them tissues.  My sister and I still banter about this - I'll ask for a tissue and she'll say "oh, you want a Kleenex?"  And then she'll hand me a  non-Kleenex tissue. 

I think when a certain thing, such as Coke or Kleenex, becomes really popular, it becomes synonymous with the type of thing it is, which I find infuriating at times. 
    It's the same way with "band-aid". That's partially why they changed the jingle to "I am stuck on Band-aid Brand..."
  • plumanderplumander member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    Or Q-tips. Actually cotton swabs. There's a list of things like that on the internet somewhere... I know it...

*** This account is used by two people. Lila is bitchy and up late. Bonnie is sweet and helpful. Sorry if it confuses y'all. ***
  • kerbohl said:
    @wittykitty14 Yet saying that you need a "Kleenex" is somehow perfectly acceptable as well, which annoys me.  Not all tissues are Kleenex . . . Kleenex is just a certain brand of tissues.  A brand that I don't actually use too often due to it being so darn expensive, so I go with the generic "tissues" and call them tissues.  My sister and I still banter about this - I'll ask for a tissue and she'll say "oh, you want a Kleenex?"  And then she'll hand me a  non-Kleenex tissue. 

Actually, it's often the first brand of a new type of product.  Rollerblades were the first inline skates, Xerox was the first copy machine, Coke was the first mass produced and bottled soda that was readily available, etc.  
    If you back up even further, Aspirin, escalator, and dry ice all used to be trademarked brand names, but they have become declared generic (at least in the US).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Joy2611 said:

I hate hate HATE the way girls insist on taking photos now with a hand on their hip.  You don't look skinnier, you just look ridiculous and exactly. the. same in every photo.  My god, it's boring.  I don't look, I flip as fast as possible.
    Ergh. This. 

Also if I'm look at a picture of you and you're not somehow famous, then odds are that I know what you look like! Putting your hand on your hip is not you to make me think you're thinner, because I fucking know you.
    I do it because I don't know what else to do with my hands, ha. I'm skinny enough, I don't need to look thinner, believe me.
    Anniversary
  • I'm a little late to the party, but...

I FREAKING LOVE MAYONNAISE

Seriously, once you go mayo, you never go Miracle Whip.

Wait, that didn't make sense. Oh, well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm way late, too. I don't care. Everyone must know my love for Titanic. LOVE.

• I hate performance reviews at work.  I think they are a HUGE waste of time and are of no value whatsoever.

We don't get raises unless the legislature votes us one, and cannot be promoted.  We must apply for open positions if we want a higher position.

Management (as in, HR), however, LOOOOVES them.  They "help" us "grow" and "set goals."

We discussed the "value" of performance reviews during a staff meeting.  I was not the only person who said they were utterly worthless, but my supervisor wrote me up for saying so afterward. Bitch.

Edited to add "HR."

We don't get performance reviews, probably because we've had a wage freeze for the past, oh, seven to eight years.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh, here's one that I'll probably get razzed for. My all-time favorite band?

New album just dropped on Tuesday. HUZZAHHHH.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hate strapless dresses. Even if you are a supermodel, it looks like the dress is wearing you, rather than you wearing a dress. HATE THEM!

So, time to shop for a wedding dress now. Grrr....

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Robert Fulghum<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Amy&Bert said:

I hate strapless dresses. Even if you are a supermodel, it looks like the dress is wearing you, rather than you wearing a dress. HATE THEM!

What do you mean by that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Amy&Bert said:

I hate strapless dresses. Even if you are a supermodel, it looks like the dress is wearing you, rather than you wearing a dress. HATE THEM!

What do you mean by that?
    No need to take unpopular opinions personally.
    I never said I was taking it personally. I was just curious as to what she meant by "it looks like the dress is wearing you." I didn't want a strapless dress either until I found one that looks great on me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't like the Beatles. That's right, I said it.

Anniversary

• Hahaha Court you beat me to it! My opinion is that you can't be pro-choice, then insist a family can't choose when an infant becomes part of said family.

You either believe people can choose when it comes to reproduction, or you don't. Your nose either belongs in their uterus, or it doesn't. You can't have it both ways.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Hahaha Court you beat me to it! My opinion is that you can't be pro-choice, then insist a family can't choose when an infant becomes part of said family. You either believe people can choose when it comes to reproduction, or you don't. Your nose either belongs in their uterus, or it doesn't. You can't have it both ways.
    Great minds and whatnot lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards