Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What's the rudest thing you've seen

Re: What's the rudest thing you've seen

• Options
    Hands down, the drunken best man serenading the brides grandmother with The Ballad of Chasey Lane, complete with changing the name to Grandma's halfway through. Grandma stormed out, the bride ended up sobbing in the bathroom, and to this day, the best man isn't allowed anywhere near their house when any of her family visits.
    I have to ask - how was this possible? Someone agreed to play the song? Or he just sang it without music? 
    Karaoke reception.
    Wowwww.  A machine, I assume? Because I can't imagine a DJ/karaoke person agreeing to play that for him so he could sing it.  Amazing.
  • Options

If I could post gifs at work, now would be the time for the "That escalated quickly" one.  I started reading all these and was like ".......WAAAA?" 

It makes me very happy that in 2 days, 2 people have gotten banned that have intentionally said rude things to me at some point in my TK career.

Sorry, OP.  I can't think of anything horribly rude I've seen at the moment.  But I couldn't resist commenting on the spin-off of this discussion.

• Options
    When my ex husband insisted on inviting his ex high school girlfriend to the wedding and then she asked him to dance immediately after our first dance.

He's an ex for a reason :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    harper0813harper0813 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013

Hands down, the drunken best man serenading the brides grandmother with The Ballad of Chasey Lane, complete with changing the name to Grandma's halfway through.

Grandma stormed out, the bride ended up sobbing in the bathroom, and to this day, the best man isn't allowed anywhere near their house when any of her family visits.

Whoops. Should not have Googled that on my work comp. Poor Grandma.

At my (very lovely) cousin's wedding, a guest was gesturing wildly or something with a glass of wine in his hand and he spilled it all down the front of my cousin's wedding gown. He promptly ran away, left the wedding, and when she saw him a year or so later, he denied even being at the wedding. Even though he's in photos. She wasn't even mad at him - she's a very "go with the flow" kind of girl and she laughed it off, and just meant to tease him for being so ridiculous as to run away. But he flipped out at her and promptly left the party they were at. Again.
  • Options
    Not really happened at a wedding that I personally attended. But a coworker refused to invite her FBIL's wife. She thought by not inviting her that he would not come. She still attended the wedding, but made this coworker upset. The coworker even refuses to see her as her SIL because she is not part of this coworkers immediate family.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Oof.  What a mess.  Also I googled this from my work computer even though I had heard the song before.  Sorry, IT Department.
  • Options
    The only other girl in my office and I just taught an older male coworker what "moobs" are and he promptly Googled it because he didn't believe that was a real, understood term - I'm hoping I'm off the hook and they find his Internet history more questionable.
  • Options

When half of our table got up to momentarily dance or get drinks (it was obvious that they weren't finished with their meals), another guest that we didn't know walked over to our table and ate every edible flower off of every dinner plate that didn't have a guest guarding it. Literally popping them into his mouth as he danced/ shimmied from one plate to another. We were so shocked (and sorta drunk), and it happened so quickly that no one knew what to say or do. When everyone returned they asked where their flowers were. The guy was still standing there looking around and overheard the whole conversation. When one of the guys very loudly called him bizarre and rude, he did a crazy Michael Jackson kick/ dance move and Tina Turner shimmied away from our table to another table where he continued to pluck flowers off of plates and chomp them like popcorn. 

Ahahahahahaha. This is the weirdest. Super rude of him, but so funny.
  • Options
    When half of our table got up to momentarily dance or get drinks (it was obvious that they weren't finished with their meals), another guest that we didn't know walked over to our table and ate every edible flower off of every dinner plate that didn't have a guest guarding it. Literally popping them into his mouth as he danced/ shimmied from one plate to another. We were so shocked (and sorta drunk), and it happened so quickly that no one knew what to say or do. When everyone returned they asked where their flowers were. The guy was still standing there looking around and overheard the whole conversation. When one of the guys very loudly called him bizarre and rude, he did a crazy Michael Jackson kick/ dance move and Tina Turner shimmied away from our table to another table where he continued to pluck flowers off of plates and chomp them like popcorn. 
    Rude and totally bizarre. I honestly didn't know anyone actually liked edible flowers that much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Hahaha! In his defense.... no..hahahahaha!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Creepy drunk guy (who, according to rumors flying at the reception, was a school principal) trying to grind on random women on the dance floor at my cousin's wedding. As the night wore on, I spent less time dancing to avoid that dude.

Also, another guy whom I know and who is notoriously creepy took the flower petals he was supposed to toss during the B+G's exit from the church and stuffed them down the back of the bride's dress. At least he didn't put them down the front, but still. Totally inappropriate.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    zobird said:
    The only other girl in my office and I just taught an older male coworker what "moobs" are and he promptly Googled it because he didn't believe that was a real, understood term - I'm hoping I'm off the hook and they find his Internet history more questionable.
    imageLink (hee hee, giggle giggle)

Anniversary

• Options
    Pepper6Pepper6 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    When a BMs husband wouldn't let her get dressed with the other BMs because he thought the bride was her "gay crush" and she didn't want her getting undressed around her....in the bathroom...where everyone changed....

ETA:  Privately.  Everyone changed alone in the bathroom.  But no, that was too close to getting undressed and having a huge lesbian orgy for him...
  • Options
    When I was in high school, I worked for a caterer on the weekends as a member of the wait staff. I can't tell you the number of times we all got warned to watch out for the "creepy uncle" or the "guy with the bright green tie" or whoever the weirdo of the night was. These drunken men would try to make us dance with them, sit in their laps, and all sorts of other weird stuff. And this was at an upscale venue too. Shudder.

At my wedding, the "rudest" thing (not sure it really qualifies, but man it made me laugh all night) was one of the GM's wives wore a super short, skin-tight dress. Whenever she was dancing, it would ride up and her ass would start to show - either she was going commando or wearing a thong of something, because I'm talking bare skin butt cheek here. A couple of my friends came up to me and mentioned it (everyone was side-eyeing her) and my sister and SILs gave her an amusing nickname for the rest of the evening. Best part was, while it may or may not have been intentional (I think it was - she just lost a lot of weight and is very proud of having done so), she definitely knew it was happening because she'd reach down, notice wear her hemline was, and then keep on dancing. I didn't say a word - I mean, really, what do you say in that situation? "Excuse me, can you please stop mooning my guests?"?
  • Options

Hahahah I just scared all the people around me when I laughed out loud and almost tripped off the treadmill reading this. I wouldn't even care that my flower was gone, that's hilarious!!!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Yeah the initial  "What in the hell?" moment was pretty much entirely directed towards him sticking his fingers near our food.  Everything else, totally worth it.  In fact, thanks to him, there was an entire group of us, spread out across the country, who insisted on shimmying our way out of supremely awkward situations for at least 3 months after the wedding. 

• Options

Once I was a bridesmaid and I was dancing, and somebody just grabbed my butt from behind.  I was shocked, and spun around to confront the jerk... only to discover that it was the 4 year old ringbearer.  I guess that was the one guy in the room who could get away with it!

Ok, that wasn't really rude, but at that same wedding, the bride and groom had placed a Mickey and Minnie Mouse cake topper on the cake table, because they were going to Disney for their honeymoon.  It was not cheap looking at all, it was beautiful porcelain, I thought it was adorable.  But somebody walked up to the cake table and started loudly complaining about how "trashy" it was and how the "whole wedding was ruined."  Turns out that the person who had bought it for the bride as a gift was standing right there, and she was a lot more civil than a lot of people would have been under the circumstances, but it did get a little heated.  Fortunately somebody told them to call it off before the bride overheard and was heartbroken!

And that was the day I decided that people were waaaaaaay too judgemental about wedding stuff!  You get to do what you want on your big day, let everyone else do their thing too!  Some people in the world have real problems- a Mickey Mouse cake topper is not a "problem!"

• Options
    kap05kap05 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    That is HILARIOUS!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah the initial  "What in the hell?" moment was pretty much entirely directed towards him sticking his fingers near our food.  Everything else, totally worth it.  In fact, thanks to him, there was an entire group of us, spread out across the country, who insisted on shimmying our way out of supremely awkward situations for at least 3 months after the wedding. 

I loved both your posts but this one in particular really made me laugh.  I love when you see something weird like that and it becomes a 'thing'. I can just picture it :D
  • Options
    I am way late to this party, but have enjoyed reading this entire thread.  The flower-eating guy is frigging hilarious!

The rudest thing I ever saw at a wedding ended my first marriage.  My sister got married 4 years ago, and I was her MOH.  I was very busy the entire night, it was a big wedding, 250 friends and family from all over the country.  I was taking care of my sister and things she needed, so didn't have much time to pay any attention to exH.  It was a beautiful wedding at an upscale country club.  

At the end of the night, I was loading centerpieces and gifts into the back of my car when I noticed him staggering around completely drunk.  I put him in the car, told him to stay there, which he did.  Fortunately, he didn't do any real damage, but just looked like a drunken ahole.  We ended up in a wicked fight on the way home, which was typical.  But that wasn't the worst thing.

The next day I got a call from my cousin.  Evidently she and some other family members had seen exH in the parking lot outside the reception selling a bag of pot to someone.  I wish I was making this up.  I threw him out the next day and filed for divorce a couple months later.  I was absolutely mortified and it still comes up from time to time.  Horrible.  
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    A few years back my MOH's father was gettign remarried. MOH was one of the brides maid along with her sister. After the ceremony came time for pictures and they were left out of every single shot he took with his "new Family" and didnt take a single picture with the two of them. She spent most of the night crying and upset.
  • Options
    I was a BM for my best friend, and I couldn't make the bachelorette party because I live out of state. Apparently one of the other BMs was so fond of the male stripper someone got the bride as a B-party "gift", she went on a few dates with him and invited him as her date for the wedding!

Luckily her husband was a good sport about it but it was really awkward!
  • Options
    I saw groomsmen doing beer bongs and shots in a parking lot once, along with the groom.  Back inside the bride was looking around, wondering where the groom was.  Pretty tacky.  
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    heathertimsheathertims member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    WishkeyGlaze, that post was so funny, I was laughing so hard I woke FI up.

The two rudest/tackiest things i have seen are
    1. My father and uncle getting into a very very heated argument in the parking lot about how my family gives my 90 yr old grandmother with Alzheimers as much alcohol as she wants. My father takes care of her and visits her everyday (which was why he was so upset) so he knows that she can't handle more than a glass of wine, and she falls, and soils herself, but the rest of the family dont care because they feel no sense of responsibility. I understood where he was coming from, but he was also shitfaced, and so not appropriate. I had to diffuse the situation, luckily the bride (my cousin) had no idea. I ended up having to tell my father, and two uncles off and to grow up and be adults.
    Awkward times.
    2. Some of our friends got married in 2006. They were very young, and she had just moved to the country. Their wedding happened very quickly, and the grooms mother planned the whole thing. His mother enjoys the "finer things in life" and planned a large wedding at a fancy hall with like 8 courses. Much of their family is from eastern europe and still mostly communicates in their language. She hired a polka band. Ouch. In any case, my friends were very young and slightly awkward about this fancy grown up event. For their first dance they picked a metal ballad that was fairly long, and I must admit, it was a bit awkward (they were geeky 25/23 yr olds) but the MOG could be seen gesturing to the band to cut the music. She didnt even try to hide it. It cut abruptly in the middle of the song. It made it 10 times more awkward.
    Also, Polka music all night. Not rude, but just terrible.
  • Options
    @StageManager14:  I mostly thought it was sort of tacky for the groom to be in the parking lot doing beer bongs while his bride was wondering where he was, but the whole thing sort of rubbed me the wrong way.  It's a wedding, not a frat party.  Seeing the groomsmen in their tuxedos standing on the trunk of the car to extend the whole funnel hose didn't seem quite right.  Just my opinion.  
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    This thread is totally cracking me up, especially the one about the guy eating flowers.

The rudest things I've seen.. well besides cash bars at virtually every wedding I've been to (except ours!)

At our wedding 2 weeks ago, my FSIL showed up to the ceremony and reception in an incredibly short, ill fitting cocktail dress, something I don't even think the skankiest of people would wear to a club. She's very much into being the "hot mommy", maybe because she got pregnant a lot younger than most people so she said she wanted to "show it all off". Like @allispain, it was obvious she knew it was too short, she just didn't care. Then she proceeded to get drunk off her ass and let her 3 year old, one of our flowergirls, throw cupcakes all over the floor and on the walls; lovely blue cupcakes that unfortunately turned out to be very staining. I didn't really want FSIL there to begin with, especially after the bachelorette party the week before where she got abusively drunk (like to the point where she started getting into fights with random people who accidentally bumped into her at the bar), and ended up stealing cocaine off of a friend of hers and bringing it back to the hotel where we were all staying; she was not discrete about it.

In addition, that SIL, plus one of my BM's, and 2 of the GM (who were DH's brothers), wandered off for 2 hours without telling anyone so they could go smoke a joint, and were found sitting in one of the sandtraps on the 17th hole of the golf course at the venue. Meanwhile we were all trying to find them because we wanted to get some family shots. Needless to say we were not impressed; especially my side of the family, as we are all very much against drugs and have a lot of experience with loss in association with addiction in our family. On the upside, both brothers, my BM (who is one of the brothers girlfriend and my BF) and the SIL apologized the next day for their behavior. So that's something at least.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I had a guest say horribly offensive and rude things to my husband and kick him before he was asked to leave (after also insulting some family members, heckling during the best man's toast, and smashing a wine glass on purpose).

As a guest at one wedding, my long-term boyfriend wasn't invited with me.  I went anyway and caught the bouquet which I was very excited about--until the MOH came over to me and said, "The bride wants her bouquet back--she only has the one."  I don't know if that was rude, but I was taken aback.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    arae81arae81 member
    5 Love Its First Comment

Rudest thing at a wedding thus far? Returning the RSVP, taking time off from work, booking a hotel room, renting a car and driving six hours one way... Just to arrive and have no where to sit at the reception, standing room only. People who hadn't RSVP'd were sitting down to an elegant meal, and we couldn't even get a cup of punch because they were out. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy with the way we were treated.

We attended a different wedding, a twelve-hour drive away, that involved a constantly crying toddler. We couldn't hear a single word of the vows, and the parent had not the respect to remove the child from the room. Upon arrival back at our hotel room, completely exhausted, what do we hear? The same child, screaming and crying again... They were staying there too, and on the same floor!

We've also been ignored when it came to Thank You's for the gifts we gave. My rule of thumb for my own wedding was to send out Thank You's to those who either sent gifts OR attended. After all of the rudeness, I've decided to no longer attend weddings unless they're local. Having been a bride myself now, with a DIY wedding and many obstacles to overcome, I have to say... There is NO excuse for rudeness, for being inconsiderate of your guests. If it stresses you out that much, then perhaps a smaller affair - or even eloping - would be better suited to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards