Wedding Etiquette Forum

Where is everyone?

Why am I starting two morning threads in a row?  Am I the only working stiff around this week?

Today is the first day of my resident clinic.  I have four brand-spanking-new interns who I am introducing to clinical medicine this afternoon.  I'm excited and apprehensive at the same time.

Re: Where is everyone?

• Good Morning!

I'm just watching TV for a few minutes before I head into work.  I'm so glad we have tomorrow off.  I woke up at 1 this morning and haven't been back to sleep yet.  Blech.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • About to head into work. Also being happy that I get to sleep in tomororw.
  • I'm up - and dreading going into work today. 

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Morning.  I'm just eating a quick breakfast before heading out.  Work and school again today.  A friend of mine was supposed to come visit tonight, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet so I have a feeling his business plans changed and he's not coming through CT anymore.  Ah well.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Good morning!  I'm still half asleep, and I'm so thankful that tomorrow we can sleep in.  Even though it feels strange to have a holiday mid-week, I like it. I can handle working two days at a time, lol.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm exhausted, for reasons I mentioned in the SB trhead (short version - tree fell, power is out, utility company has been chainsawing the tree and fixing wires since 3am and it's freaking hot in the house).

i'm excited to have tomorrow off. Soon I'll have all Wednesdays off, until school starts and then I'll be teaching at night.
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2012
    20 lbs of Alton Brown's pulled pork is on my to do list today.  Along with a crapload of housework I should have finished over the weekend and didn't.  Having a party for some friends and the fam tomorrow.  Oh, and our stupid town does fireworks tonight so we have that too.  They come up with this bullcrap line about how it gives us all an opportunity to go do things on the 4th yada yada yada.  No - it gives them a cut rate for not having them on the 4th.  Try inviting people to a 4th of July party and telling them there won't be any fireworks to go see.
  • I'm pretty sure Jax always does fireworks on the 4th. One thing I love about where we live is that we can go out on the dock and see them all around town.

Kmm - just have some fireworks at your house! If you're allowed to, that is. We always got the little tank tings and had tank wars in our driveway.
  • Morning, H & I overslept this morning but thankfully only bad enough to rush and drive farther to catch my bus. I'm eating Skyline oyster crackers for breakfast at my desk and hoping we get off early today.

Found out last night that we got the deposit back from our reception hall. Very nice surprise considering I thought it was the kind of deposit that just went towards the total bill.
    Sesh, I hope you get power back soon.
  • Morning...

My plan today is to sit by the pool and read a book and swim.  Basically I just want to relax until H gets home @ 5:30 from work and we run some errands and go to a friend's get together.
  • Good morning!
    I'm here, it's my last day in the office before the wedding, so this will likely be my last morning thread until late July!  I'm also in meetings pretty much all day, so we'll see how much I am able to pop in here to participate.

We were supposed to get crazy storms the past two nights, but they seem to just miss us.  I wish we would get a little rain though.  The ground is so dry!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The big fireworks show in my area is tonight as well, and honestly I like the idea of it.  It's great that I can go see fireworks, stay out late, and then sleep in tomorrow instead of staying out late Wednesday night and heading to work half-asleep on Thursday morning.  H and I actually watched fireworks Sunday night instead.  A guy here built his own huge catamaran and for $25, you can go sailing for 2 hours (bring your own food, BYOB).  They did a fireworks ride Sunday night and it was awesome.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • On the fourth, we usually go out on FIL's boat on Lake Erie to watch the huge Cleveland fireworks display as well as all the surrounding cities, you can see their fireworks too.  It's pretty cool.
  • Have a great wedding July! I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Froggie, I like the new sig pic. Very cute.

Hockey, how did things go with your dad yesterday?
  • Hi.
    Not much going on here.  Taking BB to my folks' today to do some swimming.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I like watching Boston's fireworks on tv. hahaha

One year a bunch of our friends went to a city's fireworks near us.  We decided to go watch them from this reservoir area, because it was the highest area in the city.  It also had swarms of mosquitoes.  I had never seen so many mosquitoes in my life before.  We all got so many bites, even though we all had a ton of raid on.   On tv is much better!
  • We are supposed to go to the Capitol tonight. Before the 4th every year, they do something called "Yankee Doodle Pops," where they bring in the orchestra and then do fireworks, usually during the 1812 overture.  It's pretty cool though.  

Then tomorrow, we're going over to my parents' house.  They do the fireworks in a park that joins with their backyard, so it's a perfect place to watch them.  My mom decided that since she wouldn't be able to sleep anyway, she might as well have a party.

And thanks, Midge!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-is-everyone-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cf097be-c9af-4e32-9c5a-cbff3945c290Post:408ea1f7-e3dd-47cf-85df-404e8c5181a1">Re: Where is everyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have a great wedding July! I'm sure it will be wonderful! Froggie, I like the new sig pic. Very cute. Hockey, how did things go with your dad yesterday?
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

midge they ended up doing pelvis xrays to see if he had a fracture there.  We won't know the results until today.
  • Happy Anniversary, Edie!

My plans for tomorrow fell through, so I'm hanging out with my friend and my sister.  I have no idea what we're going to do, but it's better than being home alone all day.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-is-everyone-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cf097be-c9af-4e32-9c5a-cbff3945c290Post:3ba689d1-7cf6-44c2-92c1-aaa9bfbdea18">Re: Where is everyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Morning. I'm so glad we have off tomorrow. I'm going to my mom's pool with my aunt and cousin. H is going to see the Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter movie. I managed to convince him to go out tomorrow night for fireworks since we couldn't do anything very festive with the storm/no power over the weekend. Kmm - have you made AB's pulled pork before? I've had it on my list to try forever. I'm kind of jealous your fireworks are tonight. Ours start at 9:15 tomorrow, go on until 10 and then its 45 minutes to get back home with the traffic. I'm going to be tired Thursday thats for sure.
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is my first time making the pulled pork.  I don't have a smoker so I've gone through all the recipe reviews to see how people do it without one.  I'm going to use my electric roaster and part way through I'll wrap it in foil and make sure to seal the juices in.   I will try to remember to come back over the next couple of days with a reveiw for you.  All of the ones on food network (or at least the overwhelming majority) rave about it.

</div>
  • Thanks midge!  I'm getting super excited, especially now that the big blowout fight with FMIL before the wedding is over.

We had to have a come to Jesus talk with FMIL last night about her being insanely over-bearing for the past week.  She was freaking out and threatening to cancel her hair appointment and play martyr the day of the wedding because she felt like she wasn't involved enough.  She kept saying she just wanted to make me less stressed, but I have everything under control and she was stressing me out even more.

Every time we have involved her in something, she ends up ruining it. (example 1: We bought overlays for our tables that are embroidered organza.  She makes quilts and said she would handle pressing them since she works with different fabrics all the time.  She ended up burning 3 of them and because she didn't start working on them until last week, we can't send out to get new ones in time.)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-is-everyone-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cf097be-c9af-4e32-9c5a-cbff3945c290Post:8fae337d-9fed-4f83-b5a1-62d035af72d0">Re: Where is everyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm pretty sure Jax always does fireworks on the 4th. One thing I love about where we live is that we can go out on the dock and see them all around town. Kmm - just have some fireworks at your house! If you're allowed to, that is. We always got the little tank tings and had tank wars in our driveway.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is Michigan's first year where aerial fireworks are legal to purchase and use privately.  We have a burn ban because we have had such a severe shortage of rain.  DS is bummed as he had quite the grandiose ideas for some aerials this year.  I will save the tank war idea though.  I could see DS and I going for a tank war - just will have to be next year.

</div>
  • Mica - I'm trying to find info on a research study in progress, is there a national database of that info?

Good morning all! Another day in paradise.
  • Happy Anniversary Edie!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Eagles -- not much, ha ha.  Was going to go and see fireworks, but people bailed.  My friend pulled through though and asked me to hang out with her, and I always have fun with her and my sister.  Maybe I actually WILL make that crazy flag cake if we're hanging out.  Also, I have a ton of homework so I'll probably do the whole week's worth tonight into tomorrow.

• Happy Anniversary, Edie!
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_where-is-everyone-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6cf097be-c9af-4e32-9c5a-cbff3945c290Post:7ed7844e-157f-4cdf-a123-48d167bd291d">Re: Where is everyone?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bay, that stinks.  What did you have planned? July, ugh.  I would be pissed.  You're almost there. 
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]
    I was super pissed.  I can see burning one because you don't know how your iron is going to react to the fabric. We had bought a couple extras in the event of something like that, but 3! I mean come on, turn down your iron heat!<div>
    </div><div>It all works out in the end because we are doing a kings table for the WP and we'll just use plain linens since it is a long rectangular table instead of a round, but still.</div>
  • Cfas!  I was wondering where you'd been. 

Ugh, yes, I hate it when people do that during their cocktail hour.  My BFF's brother's wedding was last week, and I was babysitting her little girls (who were flower girls, I took them away after the wedding).  It was about 95 degrees outside, and the wedding and cocktail hour were both outdoors.  There were chairs for the wedding, but not for the cocktail hour.  Guests were mingling on the lawn, pounding drinks, and even the appetizers looked melted and gross.  It was pretty awful.

• Good morning! I'm dreading having to go to work at 7:30 tonight. I have no idea when I'll get off. Edie- Happy Anniversary! Midge- that's even more exciting than finding money in your coat pocket when winter rolls in.
  • Kmms: I make my pulled pork in the crock pot....it comes out awesome and doesn't heat up the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards