Wedding Etiquette Forum

FFF

Re: FFF

• Me too, Petal.   At least Kwills never maces golden retreivers.  And if she does, at least she was smart enough to keep  her mouth shut about it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:10735227-713d-416b-a594-dd6674f6bf5c">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Sigh, I don't really either but I'd like to pretend there aren't that many BSC people out there.  Do I dare say I would rather have kwills around than steffiii? Kwills don't take that for more than it's worth.  ETA: around
    Posted by PetalPockets2012[/QUOTE]

apparently she is around...a lot.  She popped in to this thread right as we were talking about her so she must be lurking quite a bit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think if someone (whoever it was) started a thread about prices just to basically brag about their ring value then it's douchey.  But if it was just in someone else's thread or whatever then I don't care.  I don't think it's any more douchey to mention that it was $24k than for someone to mention that their ring was only $1k and think spending more than that is ridiculous.  There's often a double standard here compared to talking about budgets and it drives me insane.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I listed it for half of what he paid for it. I might try to list it for less this time. I haven't gotten it appraised. I guess I should. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:a27697f8-d006-4768-95fb-21d83de0a8bf">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Part of me thinks it's kind of douchey to have a whole conversation centered around exact amounts. It seems like a guaranteed way to piss off people, and I just can't think of any reason why it might be relevant.
    Posted by specialk84[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, I suppose that guarantees people's feelings will be hurt, but I don't think one person out of many saying how much the ring cost is douchey, but just as a whole it's probably a bad idea. I think we're saying the same thing, just worded differently. </div>
  • I've thought about trying to sell them separately, Jcb.  I haven't done much legwork yet, though.  I need to get on that.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • My personal favorite is when someone says "I have very tiny/delicate/small hands and any stone bigger than X just looks fake on me."

Someone recently said that any stone bigger than 1/4 carat "looks fake" on their tiny, precious, little hands.  Fucking liar. i have small hands and tried on a 4 carat ring once.  Guess what?  still looked FUCKING AMAZING
  • I need the money more than a piece of jewelry.  I mean, it's a nice diamond and all, but I'd just rather sell it and use the money for something I need instead.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:bdae866c-12cd-4066-9e72-1b6e34571317">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I need the money more than a piece of jewelry.  I mean, it's a nice diamond and all, but I'd just rather sell it and use the money for something I need instead.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

<div>Like for starting your tie-dye business.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:a89f2c41-14cf-4b72-a22e-441ad6c761a0">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]My personal favorite is when someone says "I have very tiny/delicate/small hands and any stone bigger than X just looks fake on me." Someone recently said that any stone bigger than 1/4 carat "looks fake" on their tiny, precious, little hands.  Fucking liar. i have small hands and tried on a 4 carat ring once.  Guess what?  still looked FUCKING AMAZING
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah, I tried on a 3 carat diamond one time for funsies with girlfriends.  It was tits.
    panther
  • I sold my first engagement ring at the flea market for 25 bucks and bought lotto tickets with the cash.  That was fun.
  • I really don't think at all that DW was or is kwill. Like Adamar, that one really doesn't fit to me. I also think its fucking creepy that she lurks enough to see we are talking about her right now.
  • seesawgirlseesawgirl member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    The only time I mention how much my engagement or wedding ring cost, is when I'm bragging about what a steal it was and talking to people that are saying they can't afford a nice ring. Not in an "I'm better than you" way, I'll say " Hey, you can get really good deals if you just shop around." and will use my ring as an example. I flame ShyDreamer for judging someone printing wedding invites on white copy paper and using a regular business envelope, and bitching that they didn't bring a gift to her wedding. I get that there were other things going on that she was offended about, but that stuff was stupid and judgy in my opinion. ETA- for clarity
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:6dfd8281-cf77-4031-974c-d1a7f244d344">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Haha yeah, I tried on a 3 carat diamond one time for funsies with girlfriends.  It was tits.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

<div>Right?  no such thing as too big when it comes to diamonds.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:826b13b5-2b5e-469f-8024-6ef6e991d472">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think if someone (whoever it was) started a thread about prices just to basically brag about their ring value then it's douchey.  But if it was just in someone else's thread or whatever then I don't care.  I don't think it's any more douchey to mention that it was $24k than for someone to mention that their ring was only $1k and think spending more than that is ridiculous. <strong> There's often a double standard here compared to talking about budgets and it drives me insane.</strong>
    Posted by Beachy730[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with the bolded. Part of the reason I don't like talking about specific numbers is because there's a lot of drama surrounding both high and low numbers.</div><div>
    </div><div>Cheap ring? </div><div>Criticism: You must be poor, that rock is so tiny, why even bother, etc.</div><div>Praise: Why would you want anything larger? Big rings are just showy. People who have expensive rings are jerks.</div><div>
    </div><div>Expensive ring? </div><div>Criticism: What about the children who mined your diamond? Don't you have anything else to spend your money on? </div><div>Praise: I could never have a tiny ring. I like to see my reflection in my ring.</div><div>
    </div><div>People find all sorts of stuff to bittch about when specific dollar amounts are brought up. That's why I have a problem with it. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:faaca3a5-2c39-407a-a381-968174f89ae0">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Like for starting your tie-dye business.
    Posted by PetalPockets2012[/QUOTE]

Ha, yes!

I agree, Musu.  Prime example of creepy lurker that I was talking about the other day.

• I opted for the smaller solitaire because at the time I was teaching PE and I didn't want something that big/tall sticking out and getting caught on stuff.  Because even my ring I have would get caught on ball bags and stuff.  Now that I haven't been teaching I tell myself dang I should have gotten the bigger one.  Haha i don't regret it though, I love my rings.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I asked H to get the biggest diamond he could afford. He told me it would have been much bigger if I didn't have stupid metal allergies, thus requiring palladium.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:7c0504fc-ec6d-4d75-b9f8-c20caab68c40">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Right?  no such thing as too big when it comes to diamonds.  
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

<div>When not working I agree.  But when I was teaching I would have had to take my ring off for work probably if it was bigger.  Fvck that noise, I rock it whenever possible.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • adamar15adamar15 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Shiiit, there's no such thing as too big with ANY stone.  I would not be upset if we traded up one day for a bigger emerald for my ring. 

ETA: Not that I think what H got me is too small.  I love my ring.  Just so we're clear.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:ec75d340-91c6-4694-be98-af5a5b56d657">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : When not working I agree.  But when I was teaching I would have had to take my ring off for work probably if it was bigger.  Fvck that noise, I rock it whenever possible.

<div>I'd put it on a necklace it was too big to wear.  No shame in that game.  </div><div>
    </div><div>At some future point H is planning on upgrading.  Not gonna lie- totally stoked about that.  I'm a greedy biiitch who wants a giant rock.</div>
  • I think it's weird that people spend that much time on a board that they don't participate in. Dont get me wrong, I occasionally lurk on GBCN or TB but not to that level. I don't get it.
  • Haha Muni I tried getting H to upgrade it for our 2 year anniversary.  He said it's too soon.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:4e95aaa5-e580-4e43-96da-8714b5d855db">Re:FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's weird that people spend that much time on a board that they don't participate in. Dont get me wrong, I occasionally lurk on GBCN or TB but not to that level. I don't get it.
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

<div>I think so too.  I mean, yes, lurk a little before diving in.  But not for months/years.  I don't lurk anywhere that I don't post unless someone here posts a link to drama.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:30ed2d80-617e-4b3f-8279-be554800dd4f">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha Muni I tried getting H to upgrade it for our 2 year anniversary.  He said it's too soon.

<div>Never too soon.  I wonder if I can convince H to upgrade for five.  He'll be out of school by then...</div>
  • My friend doesn't believe in upgrading, so his girlfriend is pushing hard for the biggest ring he can afford.  I don't see anything wrong with upgrading when you're farther along in life and have more money.  It's like buying a nicer car.

• I feel terrible for this, but I don't wear my e-ring very often, usually just when we go out or something. 

I'm not exactly coordinated, and I've whacked myself in the face with my diamond more times than I can count. My plain band hurts less.
  • I absolutely don't want a new/different/upgraded ring. Do I think really big diamonds are super duper pretty? Sure. I'm sentimental about my ring. Unless I have to get a different one, I'm happy with what I've got. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate when others wear huge ass rings.
  • I think maybe people might get upset also because what people consider big/small probably differs quite a bit. Like someone might think anything less than a carat is small but others might think that it isn't small unless it is 1/2 a carat. 

I don't think I've been around for ring conversations. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • H and I have discussed upgrading to a set that matches.  My E ring is not straight  and we didn't get a custom band so it doesn't match up very well. We want to wait until we've put the down payment on our house, though.
    imageVacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards