Wedding Etiquette Forum

FFF

Re: FFF

• Celles, I just googled lame.  Here is the first entry for it, with four definitions.

crippled or physically disabled, especially in the foot or leg so as to limp or walk with difficulty.
    impaired or disabled through defect or injury: a lame arm.
    weak; inadequate; unsatisfactory; clumsy: a lame excuse.
    Slang . out of touch with modern fads or trends; unsophisticated.

So yeah, the first two definitions are in line with what Mica is talking about.

With all this said, I use the word lame a hell of a lot.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:89074601-7ae6-4fe8-af50-94c3b1d5d2c3">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nubs (that's autocorrect for you, I'm leaving it) - haha, it's all in the angle and bent legs. Some guy actually told me I need to work on my "ups" after H took that picture.
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Nubs works. :P</div><div>
    </div><div>I never would have thought you needed to work on anything from that pic! I love it. :P</div><div>I can't jump worth shiit anymore. Stupid fat ass I've grown.</div><div>

</div>
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:086568e8-261a-408f-8620-944940ac6f54">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Agreed. The f*g and the N word are never, ever even close to being acceptable. I don't think anyone using them means anything except hatefulness which I don't believe is the case with retarded or gay. Totally different plane to me.
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

Believe me, I hate it and find it unacceptable as most other people would  That said, he grew up in NYC in a lower income area and those words were part of his vernacular, not meant specifically to disparage a certain group.  He's learning to phase them out.
  • CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:343478c0-3a29-46c3-a1d3-9e8429c14862">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Celles, I just googled lame.  Here is the first entry for it, with four definitions. So yeah, the first two definitions are in line with what Mica is talking about. With all this said, I use the word lame a hell of a lot.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

<p>Sure, but you can't take the first two definitions as the <em>only</em> definitions of a word.  That's the entire point.  "Gay" and "retarded" don't have <em>any</em> definitions that make a statement like "That post was so ______!" literally true.  "Lame" does.  </p>
  • And hey, we're arguing semantics again!  It must be Friday.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Was the weird vs wrong conversation on a Friday?  I don't remember.

Again, I said that I don't like the term "lame."  I'm not suggesting that anyone change their own word choices.  And I do call arguments lame, but I don't like saying "You're lame."  That's it.  My personal preference.

And now here's a picture of my dog.  :P

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:9324093c-d0de-483f-870d-4f818120d2c0">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : So if you're not complaining, what are you doing? Explaining why you don't post as much? I don't think anyone asked that.
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]
    I guess that's what I was doing - but kind of in a round about way of explaining why I was agreeing with Snippy earlier.<div>
    </div><div>I'm crazy congested, I guess I'm not making much sense. My bad. </div>
  • "I'm so congested I don't make sense" that's a new one.
  • Celles - I 100% understand what you're saying and totally agree.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:55385d18-bd3a-4e77-995e-6e19b4f2c71e">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]"I'm so congested I don't make sense" that's a new one.
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]
    Haha, you've never been so congested that your brain doesn't want to work well? You're lucky! I've been forgetting things all day and getting confused. It happens.<div>
    </div><div>I hope you have a good weekend, Snippy :)</div>
  • I get what you're saying too Celles.  I think "lame" was initially used to describe "crippled" people and then evolved to how people uuse it now, which is probably why Mica doesn't care for it.

At any rate, I have no idea why I'm posting about it because I don't care, lol.  Lame.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:a329e609-526c-47d7-a394-ef59b5795ff1">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get what you're saying too Celles.  I think "lame" was initially used to describe "crippled" people and then evolved to how people uuse it.  Lame.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

I would have thought it was the other way around.
    ttc chart
  • Mica's been a bit of a buzzkill lately. 

NYCbridefoodwhatever is stupid for thinking her husband showed "respect for their relationship" by spending money to stay at a hotel instead of crashing with a bunch of other people in a home that happened to be owned by a female.

Kellyjellybelly's sig pic freaks me out.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• This thread died pretty quickly.

AATB's signature is making me crave donuts.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• NuggetBrainNuggetBrain member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:0db0534a-ccab-4cd8-8652-b3b62dda1c42">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Believe me, I hate it and find it unacceptable as most other people would  That said, he grew up in NYC<strong> in a lower income area</strong> and those words were part of his vernacular, not meant specifically to disparage a certain group.  He's learning to phase them out.
    Posted by NYCFoodieBride[/QUOTE]

*SIDE MOTHERF*CKING EYE*

Uh, I also grew up in a lower income area and I can assure you that I wasn't running around yelling the "F" word OR the "N" word because my mom would have whooped my ass.  Poor people aren't inherently crass idiots.  Thank you very goddamn much.

In fact, I heard the "F" word thrown about more often in the posh upper class private school I went to on a scholarship than the streets outside of my house.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• I'd stay longer, but I have to go with my mom to the Home & Garden Show.  Where I will apparently call random people the "N" word.  Or the "F" word.  Because, you know, grew up poor.  And black.

WAIT.  Is this dude black?  Because if this dude is not black and is using the "N" word and your first reaction isn't "get the f*ck out of my house with that ish" then, problems.  We have them.

• FI's grandmother is not low income and she says those words, but then she's a stone cold biitch. So i don't think class levels have anything to do with it.
  • It was an issue, we talked about it, he worked on it, and I haven't heard those word in years from him. *shrug*  Everyone's got their stories, and I'm not comfortable totally exposing his, but I'm glad he was capable of improvement.  We very probably wouldn't be engaged if he hadn't been.   I'm not arguing with anyone who says its unacceptable.  It is.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:69fd9db9-4dfe-4207-bbe7-ca96f3c4a29f">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : I think that it is admirable to work to change your vocabulary to eradicate offensive terms.  I just start to take issue when people get rude policing others on their own usage.  I've told FI that the N word and the F word (the homophobic one) are offensive to me, and please try to avoid using them in my presence.  Can I change his vocabulary? No.  But can I make him aware of how it affects me in a polite respectful way? Sure. My sister on the other hand who called him out in front of my extended family for using the "R word, that I see as rude and unhelpful.

If I heard someone's husband use the n word or f word, I would totally call them out in public.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:4d5b41e9-0bf2-44e8-aa6e-fba104387b5a">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]It was an issue, we talked about it, he worked on it, and I haven't heard those word in years from him. *shrug*  Everyone's got their stories, and I'm not comfortable totally exposing his, but I'm glad he was capable of improvement.  We very probably wouldn't be engaged if he hadn't been.   I'm not arguing with anyone who says its unacceptable.  It is.

From your earlier posts, it sounds like this is an ongoing issue, not one that's been dormant for years.
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • If we're still talking semantics, we should go back to the Oxford English Dictionary, which finds the original use of all English words.

When “lame” first came into English, the OED says, it meant “disabled or impaired in any way; weak, infirm; paralysed; unable to move.”
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:c51837c4-9ab9-4b56-a2ff-4eaca59a936c">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : If I heard someone's husband use the n word or f word, I would totally call them out in public.
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

If I heard someone's husband use the "N" word I would call them out via my knee in their boy parts in public. 

Still waiting to hear if dude is black, because if he wasn't and is under the age of 70 then there's no way he didn't understand it was derogatory to an entire race of people and unacceptable to say.

If he IS black then he's disgracing his race by using that word and I don't give a SH*T what people say, adding an "a" to the end of it doesn't somehow "reclaim" it for us to use.

• Eagles i don't remember 100% if it was you, but I thought you were one of the ones saying you liked how the board was at the time and everyone was nice.  I'm too lazy to go search right now, and don't care that much, so if not I apoligize but I thought you were one of the people.  Another one though (or main one) was LVB at the time who said I was bitch and she was sick of me saying the board was tame, and then a few months later she started that whole thread saying the same exact thing.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited March 2012
    Has anyone used the word lame to describe a disabled person since 1922?

I popped in just for you, shannyn, btw.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Man, I wish I'd never brought up my hatred of the word lame.  Now it's EVERYWHERE.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:d61c9b29-463c-4b65-9fb0-3795111b0541">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd stay longer, but I have to go with my mom to the Home & Garden Show.  Where I will apparently call random people the "N" word.  Or the "F" word.  Because, you know, grew up poor.  And black. WAIT.  Is this dude black?  Because if this dude is not black and is using the "N" word and your first reaction isn't "get the f*ck out of my house with that ish" then, problems.  We have them.
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

He's not, and it was. He learned, very quickly. And if I ever heard him using those words again we would have a serious postpone the engagement talk.  If I sounded like I was disregarding how disgusting those words are then I wasn't clear on my stance.
  • It seems to me that we call disabled people disabled now.  Not lame.  I would probably be taken aback if I heard someone talking about their lame uncle and they actually meant that he was disabled and not that he was just a total wet blanket at parties.  I mean.  For whatever that's worth.  I'm really surprised that anyone would try to make a whole thing out of the word lame. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:0db0534a-ccab-4cd8-8652-b3b62dda1c42">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Believe me, I hate it and find it unacceptable as most other people would  <strong>That said, he grew up in NYC in a lower income area and those words were part of his vernacular</strong>, not meant specifically to disparage a certain group.  He's learning to phase them out.

I'm sorry, but that's a bullsh!t excuse.  I grew up in a low-income area where those words were part of the vernacular, and I figured out by around middle school that it was completely inappropriate to use derogatory words in <em>any</em> context.  "Low-income" =/= "too dumb to realize racist and homophobic language is inappropriate."
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:11dc8c65-1d5d-4d90-ab47-42ec0fdf153b">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Beach, like I said, maybe I did say that.  I admit to enjoying the drama so I don't think I would have held that opinion, but anything is possible.  No worries. I do wish I knew what I said that made MP give me the side eye.  I'm a curious individual.  No more Tastykakes, MP. 
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

It was probably one of those overused E party lines that annoys me sometimes.

I seriously went searching and couldn't find it.  So maybe it wasn't even you.  No more TastyKakes?  :(  Sad Penguin.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-88?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1aee36f2-caa5-449c-874d-8a1268202e66Post:828dc976-61da-4a02-9cdb-69ca16aa0920">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]It seems to me that we call disabled people disabled now.  Not lame.  I would probably be taken aback if I heard someone talking about their lame uncle and they actually meant that he was disabled and not that he was just a total wet blanket at parties.  I mean.  For whatever that's worth.  I'm really surprised that anyone would try to make a whole thing out of the word lame. 
    Posted by The Mel and Todd Show[/QUOTE]

I would say "lame" when referencing an animal, like a horse. Don't insult horses, people!!
    ttc chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards