Snarky Brides

Unpopular Opinions

1111213141517»

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• I can promise you guys if ewhit somehow manages to ban every delicious thing in life, I will be bootlegging it for you. It will be a modern day boardwalk empire, but my boardwalk will be paved with chicken fingers and butter cream frosting.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:453326e6-5bc6-4a5c-8db2-06f53e6b7328">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im sorry, but saying "cover your mouth" is a whole different ballgame then understanding the psychology behind teaching about body parts and inappropriate touching to 5 year olds.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

As 5th grade teachers, we had to bring all of the 5th grade girls into a classroom and we showed them a video. The video was "the teacher" and then we sent them home.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:afff2aec-edb5-4c59-b6b4-d1b57038b412">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]For my sex ed, my mom took me to this class at our country club where this lady showed us how to wear a pad and look at our vaginas with a mirror. It was kind of horrifying.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

We watched a video on periods that had a women make pancakes in the shape of your ovaries.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • I got my period when I was 11 and had to learn that crap the hard way. When they finally taught it to us the following year I was practically a vetran.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:035a05f6-cc45-4f64-a38a-6598059b1213">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can promise you guys if ewhit somehow manages to ban every delicious thing in life, I will be bootlegging it for you. It will be a modern day boardwalk empire, but my boardwalk will be paved with chicken fingers and butter cream frosting.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Our Canadian hookup for when we're jonesing for cheeseburgers and Little Debbies snack cakes, FUCKYEAH
    panther
  • Nebb- im going to start sending you monthly packages for you to hoard away in your bomb shelter for me.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Well this has been interesting.

I've got some admittedly hypocritcal drinking in my future.

Have a nice weekened everyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't remember sex ed at all, but I grew up knowing that it was something that was risky to do and definitely knew the difference between vaginas and penises (penis?). I think I would rather have the appropriate touching/body parts convo with Kaylee verses a teacher doing it at a young age. I could maybe get on board with having a certified nurse/sex educator/official person come in and give a few lessons to the kids but I'm not sure how I feel about the average kindergarden/1st grade teacher doing it.
  • OKAY.  I'm getting notification emails from TK.  This shiit needs to stop now
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:9468591e-ccd3-4c99-b89f-cb12ad2e6707">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : We watched a video on periods that had a women make pancakes in the shape of your ovaries.

We watched that one when I was in 5th grade
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:9f11b9d7-3120-4b52-b1ae-549603d76b9f">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't remember sex ed at all, but I grew up knowing that it was something that was risky to do and definitely knew the difference between vaginas and penises (penis?). I think I would rather have the appropriate touching/body parts convo with Kaylee verses a teacher doing it at a young age. I could maybe get on board with having a certified nurse/sex educator/official person come in and give a few lessons to the kids but I'm not sure how I feel about the average kindergarden/1st grade teacher doing it.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

<div>Peni* similar to Octopi* lol</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm now convinced ewhit would rather live in a fantasy world, or was one sheltered kid growing up.

You didn't know what a vagina was until you were 14? YOU HAVE ONE.  That's just irresponsible parenting, holy crap.

And, yeah. You want to ban foods?  But, let me guess. You're also someone who thinks grandma should be able to buy a candy bar with her EBT card still, right?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:9468591e-ccd3-4c99-b89f-cb12ad2e6707">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : We watched a video on periods that had a women make pancakes in the shape of your ovaries.

<div>OH MY GOD I brought up this video last week on the board. FOR REAL. Weirdest moment of fifth grade.</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The video we watched (6th grade) showed a mother taking her daughter out for ice cream to celebrate getting her period and she told this to the counter boy.  I was so terrified my mom would do the same so I didn't tell her for at least a year that I had my period.  Thank Godiva for older sisters who had supplies I could pilfer. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:3e19f404-3656-4599-9316-823f5feb3f9d">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : I went to lunch and have only cought up to here but I have to ask about this.   <strong> This statement makes it sound like you are ok with "hooking up" and one night stands but then you have a problem with prochoice. </strong> Please explain this to me as most people I know who are prolife are so for religious or moral, reasons. Edited to be less bitchy and more open minded.   
    Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]

Sorry this is a very late response.. I used to be that person who hooked up randomly with people.  Shortly before I met FI, I did a complete 180 with my sex life and my life in general.  Even though I turned around, I support any person's right to choose whether or not to have sex, when to have sex, how to have sex, who to have sex with.  It's none of my business.  However, I believe that if you engage in sex, you should be prepared for the potential consequences (babies, STDs) and that the choice is made when you had sex (even if it was protected... taking the risk like you said earlier) and if you get pregnant, that was the risk you took having sex.  People can do whatever they want with their sex lives.  I just think people should be ready to deal with the potential consequences of their actions.
  • I missed this b/c of work....but being stigmatized for being fat and being stigmatized for being skinny are not the same thing at all. Of course people may tell you they hate you because you are a size two or that you need to eat a cheeseburger and the comments suck but it is no where near as hurtful as how heavy people are treated. Heavy people are stereotyped and discriminated against and often have many psychological problems that come along with being heavy in a society where even the VERY thin are admired and worshipped. The "love your curves" movement is cheesy and it may take aim at the thin in a way,  but it's a campaign to try to help heavy people with already compromised self-esteem.
    I say this a a skinny size 2 girl who has had many comments about her body.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:bf5c5ba4-347c-41dd-a85f-30462203b779">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]There was a really bad accident around here recently where a truck tboned a van full of farm workers and 11 people ended up dying. I saw an article today and it said the first responders were horrified by the amount of people pulling over and taking pics and videos. I think thats sickening and I think laws should be put in place that if you are caught doing something like that you would get a hefty fine. I cant even express how disrespectful I think it is to gawk and need to document for your own purposes someones death. Gross.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Was this the accident in near Stratford in Ontario? It looked horrific!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:70017392-4242-4333-90b3-f7a7eae69749">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : I'm on H's insurance through his job.  He doesn't have to pay a premium for his coverage, but to add me we pay $465 a month just for the premium.  And the deducible is $5,200 (for both of us combined).  So when I went to the GYN last fall, for the appointment and testing they did still cost me $600 out of pocket.  It's such BS.  It's almost not even worth it for me to have insurance, but I'm terrified NOT to have it in case something major happens.  The premium comes out of his check pre-tax, so that helps a little, but it's still beyond ridiculous. 
    Posted by LP11509[/QUOTE]

This sounds some complicated. I am glad I am in Canada. The wait time may be long and we have other healthcare issues, but I have never been charged anything for seeing a GYN.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:acbcac17-26ee-4075-bf67-bed4f44a5fa5">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : In this argument, this statement makes the most sense to me.  Other than that the whole subject kinda makes my brain implode.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

We could always flip a coin if Dad wants something different than Mom. Her body is ultimately hers, no one can forth a 9 month pregnancy on her or force an abortive procedure on her and her embryo/fetus. Guys will (or should) never have as much say in this aspact. I do feel for the guys who want to see the baby be born and that doesn't happened because of an abortion. Yjay would hurt.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:9ad9f2b9-82f2-4446-a055-3c840fc8ae87">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]So no guns, junk food, alcohol, smoking, capitalism.  And teach sex to 5 year olds. Cant wait to live in that world. Id have a better chance at freedom in China, Vietnam, Cuba, or Lao.

I can't wait for the first underground candy markets to show up. "hey man, I only paid $10 for this Mars from Canada!"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:9aea30e1-79a8-45d1-856d-74f79c53fb18">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : Was this the accident in near Stratford in Ontario? It looked horrific!
    Posted by JoelandLeann[/QUOTE]
    That is correct. The van looked more like a plane that had crashed than a vehicle.
  • Re: doctors getting paid off to prescribe certain drugs:  In MN and WI, at least, drug reps can't even bring stuff to doctors and pharmacies anymore (when I worked for a clinic, we had lunches brought by drug reps almost every day, plus random baked good, fruit displays, etc) unless it's educational about the drugs.  Not even pens. 

I don't know if it's a national thing or just a state thing, but the rules have changed drastically in the last 5-7 years.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:b514270e-ad1c-4a69-a772-0c58361a61d9">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : Because prescription drug ads are used to create a demand. I think health is a different issue than say advertising clothing. If I see a pair of jeans on a commercial, go to the store, ask for them, buy them and they turn out to be "wrong", in that it's not a good fit, what's the worst that can happen? I look like an unfashionable idiot. <strong>If a drug company (who is in the market of making money not helping people) sells me on a particular drug through a commercial, I go to my doctor (who happens to be getting monetary incentive for every prescription for the drug I'm asking) and he writes me a prescription and I fill it.</strong>  The worst that can happen in that situation is severe side effects and even permanent damage or death.  It's a systemic problem. Doctors should not be allowed to be paid off to prescribe certain drugs and I don't think advertising drugs is really helping anyone.
    Posted by ewhiteman06[/QUOTE]

What are you basing these statements on? For a drug to get FDA approval to even hit the market it takes millions, if not billions of dollars in R&D and clinical trails. For it to be approved as a innovator single source drug it must prove to be a unique formulation that addresses a specific medical need and has proven to be effective in doing so. Drug companies spend billions in R&D for products that never even hit the marketplace as they search for better way to treat and cure disease - how isn't that helping people? And after spending so much developing a drug, why shouldn't they turn a profit selling it?

And that statement about doctor's is completely untrue, in fact any such practice is completely illegal. It is now illegal for drug reps to so much as give doctors promotional materials such as pens or a notepad, to take them out to lunch etc. The anti-kickback laws in place are very strict, more so than in any other industry IMO.

And advertising allows drug makers to make patient aware of new treatments available to them that they can discuss with their doctor. No doctor should ever prescribe any drugs that are not appropriate for their patient and all patients should discuss any possible side effects of a new drug with their doctor and weigh the risk of taking it against the benefit. That's just common sense.

Photobucket
  • Ok, so it looks like it's not a state thing, but a federal thing, which is even better (though drug rep lunches were awesome ;) ).

Also?  I'm laughing at the thought of someone walking in the doctor's office, saying "I saw this commercial on TV, and now I'm pretty sure I have [insert disease here] and you need to prescribe me some [insert med here]," and the doctor saying "Oh!  Ok!  I think you're right!!" without doing any further testing.

• K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:97522f99-1158-410c-a561-f6899b2fdb4bPost:8f7f5710-f394-4ce3-aff6-46555c483fcb">Re: Unpopular Opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, so it looks like it's not a state thing, but a federal thing, which is even better (though drug rep lunches were awesome ;) ). Also?  I'm laughing at the thought of someone walking in the doctor's office, saying "I saw this commercial on TV, and now I'm pretty sure I have [insert disease here] and you need to prescribe me some [insert med here]," and the doctor saying "Oh!  Ok!  I think you're right!!" without doing any further testing.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Seriously, some drug commercials you see are for very specific and serious diseases and conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and they are intense injectable products with a litany of possible side effects. But it may be worth it for a lot of patients to increase their risk of lymphoma in order to be able to get up out of bed and go to the bathroom without help (no joke a drug my mom was on for her RA had that as a side effect that was crazy). No doctor is giving that to anyone unless they need it and it will really help them. What drug advertisements do is open up the communication about new products between patient and doctor - nothing more.

ETA: People also need to take ownership of their personal health and make sure they understand any medical treatment they're getting drug related or otherwise. They should research their doctors, get second opinions etc. It's your life after all, no one is going to take better care of it than you.

Photobucket
  • I totally agree with you.  I mean, I have a therapist friend, and she occasionally gets a patient who will come to her and say "I need Cymbalta, because my depression hurts!"  Which is sort of silly, of course, but it also opens up a line of communication on their symptoms, etc. 

And I am a HUGE advocate for people to know the side effects, etc, of their drugs.  Awhile back when the Yaz lawsuits first started and people were all "ZOMG it can cause hyperkalemia and blood clots and strokes!!!!!!!" I wanted to break things.  All those side effects were listed in the patient information included with the drug AND in the damn commercials.  And?  Increased risk of blood clot and stroke are a potential side effect on any BCP I've ever seen.  Read the shiit the pharmacy gives you, and if you don't get something, then ask.  That's what those people are paid for, FFS.

• Agreed, I mean when you pick up a drug at a pharmacy you get the product insert that tells you everything you could possibly know about the drug - TRY READING IT. It's not that hard.

Photobucket
  • Ha I am glad I missed the whole taxation and banning of junk food. I am doing my research paper on that this year. It does not work.
  • this may be going way back in the post about the no sugar and sweets thing but in Philadelphia they tried to tax soda and sugery drinks differently to make it too expensive so people wouldn't buy it, yea didn't go through.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards